• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4114.JPG

1949 National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4114.JPG

20 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

1949 National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge.

620621103_National_Library_of_Scotland_Edinburgh.JPG.thumb.jpg.b220d4286b2428308ba2540c66358371.jpg

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Look at those buildings on the right. How wide was the original Mound? I just thought it was always like it is now. 

Surprised me as well

Those older buildings were demolished and the road moved across in the 1840s to make way for the National Gallery being built. 

The buildings were mostly funfair type things.

19 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Look at those buildings on the right. How wide was the original Mound? I just thought it was always like it is now. 

That must be one of the earliest photographs of it.  Is it before Ramsay Garden was built?

(Just checked, RG not all that old - the current building was finished in 1893)

21 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4113.JPG

That view is apparently from the roof of the Royal Institution at the foot of the mound.   All the buildings on the right were demolished to allow the building of the National Gallery in the early 1850s.  What's strange though, is that with the exception of the round one in the centre, and another out of sight behind it, none of the other buildings appear on any map before that date on the NLS site.

3fingersreid
3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

That view is apparently from the roof of the Royal Institution at the foot of the mound.   All the buildings on the right were demolished to allow the building of the National Gallery in the early 1850s.  What's strange though, is that with the exception of the round one in the centre, and another out of sight behind it, none of the other buildings appear on any map before that date on the NLS site.

I’m confused ( not hard to confuse me tbh) but if that picture is taken from the bottom of the mound the national gallery would be on the left not the right ? 

Where they buildings are would be the gardens west and in the forefront the public bogs and the flower clock ( very careful typing that I tell you ) 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m confused ( not hard to confuse me tbh) but if that picture is taken from the bottom of the mound the national gallery would be on the left not the right ? 

Where they buildings are would be the gardens west and in the forefront the public bogs and the flower clock ( very careful typing that I tell you ) 

I thought the exact same thing, but lacked the nerve to say it.?

5 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I think today's road goes straight up on right through where the building were, to the building topmost right in both pics, with the bogs and flower clock (today, both haunts of the uphill gardener) being in an excavation in the gardens.

IMG_4113.JPG

mound.png

3fingersreid
4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I think today's road goes straight up on right through where the building were, to the building topmost right in both pics, with the bogs and flower clock (today, both haunts of the uphill gardener) being in an excavation in the gardens.

IMG_4113.JPG

mound.png

Think now I see both pictures together I can see what you’re saying . The church in the old picture had me thinking it was Assembly Hall but now I see that has two spires and sits to the left of the church .

8 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I thought the exact same thing, but lacked the nerve to say it.?

Bob that’s experience  showing from you , let someone else ask the question ??

Fxxx the SPFL
On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:57, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_4118.JPG

Nobody falling off their bike here because of the tram tracks and suing the cooncil.

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Think now I see both pictures together I can see what you’re saying . The church in the old picture had me thinking it was Assembly Hall but now I see that has two spires and sits to the left of the church .

Bob that’s experience  showing from you , let someone else ask the question ??

I think the church is the one at the junction  of Johnston Terrace/ Castle Hill. 

Maroon Sailor
32 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

boo, hibs bus

Nearly a 5-1 though

Shanks said no
23 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Queensferry Street?

That was my vague recollection too

Stuart Lyon
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Yes, Queensferry Street

Yes that was back when the bun for your burger was lightly toasted not like McDonald's soggy efforts nowadays.

conn artist
6 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

03CFE036-A162-4756-AA10-F765D580DC9D.jpeg

Incredible photo considering the sedate nature of today's use.

HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie

Yeah I thought it was there but wow that is crazy, so where did that line used to go? 

3 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

yeah, Tollcross. with a police box, that has gone. 

Its funny how your eyes and mind deceive you, I looked at that and thought that looks like the Tollcross box but it doesn't look like Tollcross, when you confirmed it was I realised I was looking at it wrong, the photographers back was actually towards my vision of Tollcross.

Maroon Sailor
5 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

It looks unfamiliar as Tollcross. 

It's towards the direction of the King's Theatre