Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

N Lincs Jambo
29 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is the middle one Meadowbank? If so, is one of them a speedway track?

Re Easter Road, when I was wee (preschool early 70s) my older brother would take me to both Tynie and Easter Road, whoever was playing at home. When was the huge terracing opposite the main stand reduced in size. I seem to have a memory of it being massive but cant place if it is my memory or a memory created from photos I have seen 

Kenny Waugh when he was chairman of Hibs decided to reduce the size of the main terracing because it was huge and Hibs crowds back then weren’t. He once said that he wanted there to be a great atmosphere whether the crowd was eight thousand or eighty thousand. So they reduced it by over 50% and covered it. This would have been early 80s.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Kenny Waugh when he was chairman of Hibs decided to reduce the size of the main terracing because it was huge and Hibs crowds back then weren’t. He once said that he wanted there to be a great atmosphere whether the crowd was eight thousand or eighty thousand. So they reduced it by over 50% and covered it. This would have been early 80s.

Another reason might have been that the Scotsport cameras kept getting blown away in high winds !

Carl Fredrickson
39 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Certainly a speedway track at Meadowbank, spent many happy nights watching the Monarchs there late forties early fifties. Also remember when Easter Road got that massive terracing, forgot the number but it was Hill something a battle scene I believe in the Korea war. Also played football at both Old and New Meadowbank. No football in the summer, lots of athletic meetings at New Meadowbank on a Saturday, usually included five a side games with Hearts and Hibs players playing. Strange how pictures can tweak memories, I just realise now how much time I spent sportswise  in those areas. I have been so lucky, one of my good fortunes was to be a pre and early teen in that old Edinburgh. No TV, no internet, had to get your entertainment away from the house, no phone to keep track of you, mis chief was easy if you knew how to run, dodge and if need be hide.

Cheers Bob. A wee bit before my time, born in 1970 the new sports stadium etc were already built but I work in the area and love seeing the old pictures of it. I imagine that the road from Holyrood Park in the picture went over the lights into St Margarets yard?

II live and grew up "out of town" but can empathise with your thoughts of youth. I was telling my 8 year old son at the weekend that when I was still at primary school we would "go down the burn" from morning until evening without our parents. We would get up to a lot of mischief and form bonds. Now I would panic if my son wasnt with someone I knew and trusted!

21 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Thanks NLJ so it will be a real memory. I have this image of it being massive but empty :)

N Lincs Jambo
17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Another reason might have been that the Scotsport cameras kept getting blown away in high winds !

Yep wouldn’t have liked being Arthur or Archie on a freezing mid-winter’s evening with 30mph winds!

N Lincs Jambo
16 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers Bob. A wee bit before my time, born in 1970 the new sports stadium etc were already built but I work in the area and love seeing the old pictures of it. I imagine that the road from Holyrood Park in the picture went over the lights into St Margarets yard?

II live and grew up "out of town" but can empathise with your thoughts of youth. I was telling my 8 year old son at the weekend that when I was still at primary school we would "go down the burn" from morning until evening without our parents. We would get up to a lot of mischief and form bonds. Now I would panic if my son wasnt with someone I knew and trusted!

Thanks NLJ so it will be a real memory. I have this image of it being massive but empty :)

No probs Carl. A genuine memory for you. It was one hell of a climb to get up and on to that terrace but a great view from the top (except for the pitch ?). Before segregation that terrace was where the Hearts and Hibs fans would have their ritual pagger. That was in the pre-casual days.

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

No probs Carl. A genuine memory for you. It was one hell of a climb to get up and on to that terrace but a great view from the top (except for the pitch ?). Before segregation that terrace was where the Hearts and Hibs fans would have their ritual pagger. That was in the pre-casual days.

I have vague memories of pre-segregation days. The one that sticks in my mind would be from maybe 1977 and we were at home to Dundee. We were in the Gorgie Road end and I had to go down the front as the place was heaving. I think we were in the old division 1 and had to win to still stand a chance of promotion. I had a couple of Dundee fans next to me and they were trying to show me sympathy as we were losing or lost. 

IIRC Hibs record attendance was a game v Hearts and it has been said that the majority of fans were Hearts fans. 

Maroon Sailor

So this was the location of Easter Road Station.

IMG_4001.JPG

Trotting track at the Hawkhill Recreation Grounds ?

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Radio Ga Ga
22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

So this was the location of Easter Road Station.

IMG_4001.JPG

Trotting track at the Hawkhill Recreation Grounds ?

It’s amazing to think how religious Scotland was a relatively short time ago, that print must cover an area roughly a mile square and I’ve counted eight churches in there alone. I wonder how many churches there must have been in the whole of Edinburgh?

Doctor FinnBarr
54 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I have vague memories of pre-segregation days. The one that sticks in my mind would be from maybe 1977 and we were at home to Dundee. We were in the Gorgie Road end and I had to go down the front as the place was heaving. I think we were in the old division 1 and had to win to still stand a chance of promotion. I had a couple of Dundee fans next to me and they were trying to show me sympathy as we were losing or lost. 

IIRC Hibs record attendance was a game v Hearts and it has been said that the majority of fans were Hearts fans. 

Dundee game you refer to was a 2-2 draw, can't remember how the scoring went. Think there was 20k there which was/maybe still is a D1 record

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Dundee game you refer to was a 2-2 draw, can't remember how the scoring went. Think there was 20k there which was/maybe still is a D1 record

Cheers

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

It’s amazing to think how religious Scotland was a relatively short time ago, that print must cover an area roughly a mile square and I’ve counted eight churches in there alone. I wonder how many churches there must have been in the whole of Edinburgh?

I wonder when they changed their name from Hibernians as well

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, graygo said:

Those pictures look like they are about 100 years old and yet parking meters were only introduced in the early 60's.

Actually, early 60's was nearly 60 years ago. I'm getting old.  :( 

Can’t believe the state of them. Davie Street btw?

I think the East Terrace at Easter Road was reduced in stages. After the huge crowds after WWII Hibs extended the East terrace and aimed to have a 100k capacity ground. Years later the back section was taken away, then under Kenny Waugh the remaining terrace was halved again and had the roof built. There are photos out there of the full size one and it is massive. 

Edited by Tazio

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

I think the East Terrace at Easter Road was reduced in stages. After the huge crowds after WWII Hibs extended the East terrace and aimed to have a 100k capacity ground. Years later the back section was taken away, then under Kenny Waugh the remaining terrace was halved again and had the roof built. There are photos out there of the full size one and it is massive. 

Capture.JPG

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
16 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Although Rangers will have beaten that, when we pumped them 1st day of 2014/15 season. :lol:

Maroon Sailor
5 hours ago, graygo said:

Capture.JPG

What was the point of having horses in that situation ?

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What was the point of having horses in that situation ?

To shit on the front row as a warning to others.

luckyBatistuta
18 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Warrender Park Road from Roseneath Street.

IMG_20190611_171338.jpg

And just up the road 

6FCC1B03-2F61-44EE-AF27-97343E955750.jpeg

On 10/06/2019 at 13:25, luckyBatistuta said:

?

183EF959-E513-4A35-981F-E443092735DA.jpeg

F8099C9D-4AAD-4B4E-8C31-4CC39EA07C25.jpeg

13AC45B4-B6D1-4B72-84F4-A50B149223CE.jpeg

Somewhere around Pleasance/St Leonards?  I assume YSSR is Young South Side Radges, or something.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Somewhere around Pleasance/St Leonards?  I assume YSSR is Young South Side Radges, or something.

It said it was Davie Street/Richmond

rebels

Edited by luckyBatistuta

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It said it was Davie Street/Richmond

rebels

?

I thought it would be rebels. :) 

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

?

I thought it would be rebels. :) 

Thought you did?

The White Cockade

my old stomping ground

Lived in the flats, walked across the field to school and played on the tennis courts

Image may contain: skyscraper, sky and outdoor

millerjames398
On 10/06/2019 at 22:34, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3151.JPG

Brilliant picture, the crush gate down the front was where i 1st stood when i started going in the late 80s, was up and down on those steps every two minutes getting a better view, amazing view of wee jc ripping the piss down that wing, before the rock steady guys were telling me to get back down again???

millerjames398
On 11/06/2019 at 20:53, Tazio said:

Rhebels probably on the Southside. 

Its got y.g.r sprayed on there as well, what area would they have been from?

The White Cockade
On 10/06/2019 at 19:46, bobsharp said:

Certainly a speedway track at Meadowbank, spent many happy nights watching the Monarchs there late forties early fifties. Also remember when Easter Road got that massive terracing, forgot the number but it was Hill something a battle scene I believe in the Korea war. Also played football at both Old and New Meadowbank. No football in the summer, lots of athletic meetings at New Meadowbank on a Saturday, usually included five a side games with Hearts and Hibs players playing. Strange how pictures can tweak memories, I just realise now how much time I spent sportswise  in those areas. I have been so lucky, one of my good fortunes was to be a pre and early teen in that old Edinburgh. No TV, no internet, had to get your entertainment away from the house, no phone to keep track of you, mis chief was easy if you knew how to run, dodge and if need be hide.

You must have seen the great Jack Young then Bob

39 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

You must have seen the great Jack Young then Bob

Not only did I see Jack Young but as a teenager 15/16 we used to go down to the trac k on a Sunday and the riders would be maintaining their bikes and we got to give them a push start. I saw Dick Campbell who opened a garage close to Meadowbank, Eddie Lack who had a motor cycle shop in Leith Walk, Clem Mitchell, Don Cuppleditch, Harold Fairhurst, The young sensation Oram, the Gilmerton boy Turner, and of course the wee boy who rode a miniature motor cycle around the track Hughes I think, was the mascot. Enjoyed the White Ghost Ken Le Breton, I followed them from day one, and started again after army service, but was a bit older and found another hobby, girls.

Edited by bobsharp

2 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

Its got y.g.r sprayed on there as well, what area would they have been from?

Young Gorgie rebel ?

The White Cockade
9 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Not only did I see Jack Young but as a teenager 15/16 we used to go down to the trac k on a Sunday and the riders would be maintaining their bikes and we got to give them a push start. I saw Dick Campbell who opened a garage close to Meadowbank, Eddie Lack who had a motor cycle shop in Leith Walk, Clem Mitchell, Don Cuppleditch, Harold Fairhurst, The young sensation Oram, the Gilmerton boy Turner, and of course the wee boy who rode a miniature motor cycle around the track Hughes I think, was the mascot. Enjoyed the White Ghost Ken Le Breton, I followed them from day one, and started again after army service, but was a bit older and found another hobby, girls.

great stuff

Dick Campbell was another great rider

On 10/06/2019 at 20:04, N Lincs Jambo said:

That's the Aug 84 derby and as you can see no covering.  Was in place the year or two after?

Dereko'connnor.png

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Boris said:

That's the Aug 84 derby and as you can see no covering.  Was in place the year or two after?

Dereko'connnor.png

Was out the country and missed that one unfortunately. The terracing has already been greatly reduced in size and I think the roof was added over the next year or so.

Maroon Sailor

No PPE for the guys on top of The Shed's frame. No hard hat or safety harness.

No mucking about just get up there and do the job !

There was something special about The Shed

18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3170.JPG

When I see that era of buses I have a wee smile remembering the driver and conductor who worked the #2 to Newcraighall. They couldn't stand each other, and I asked the conductor one time why he wouldn't get another driver, he described quite graphically why he would not stick the dirty rotten ***,****** . on another conductor. It came to a head when one morning heading for morning cup of tea at the Miners Institute we saw the conductor standing at the bus stop, he had got off the bus to do something and the driver had taken off with the bus. I am not sure how it was resolved but do not recall ever seeing either of them on that route again.

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

When I see that era of buses I have a wee smile remembering the driver and conductor who worked the #2 to Newcraighall. They couldn't stand each other, and I asked the conductor one time why he wouldn't get another driver, he described quite graphically why he would not stick the dirty rotten ***,****** . on another conductor. It came to a head when one morning heading for morning cup of tea at the Miners Institute we saw the conductor standing at the bus stop, he had got off the bus to do something and the driver had taken off with the bus. I am not sure how it was resolved but do not recall ever seeing either of them on that route again.

?