Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 23/06/2018 at 11:35, The White Cockade said:

sure my old man got the train to Hearts games from Craigmillar back in the 40's/50's

no idea what the route was though or where he got off

My Dad and his Unlcles stayed on Station Road, Craigmillar, your Old Man would definitely have gone to Tynecastle via the Duddingston & Craigmillar Station. Very popular on match day.

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_rce116b_duddingston.jpg

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_duddingston_and_craigmillar.jpg

36 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Burdiehouse Terminus

34386182070_a6ca5c337b_b.jpg

The trees in the background were a familiar sight in the 80's.

12 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Beirut (aka Niddrie)

604D2EE0-3023-4D41-8AC6-0409C3FFF08E.jpeg

It Looks like it could be the corner of Wauchope Avenue and Niddrie Mains Drive, but there is so little for a total recognition.

4 hours ago, bobsharp said:

It Looks like it could be the corner of Wauchope Avenue and Niddrie Mains Drive, but there is so little for a total recognition.

I think you're right Bob. That corner seems to be the only one with a letter box (LB) at a corner.

niddrie.png

The White Cockade
8 hours ago, dannymack said:

My Dad and his Unlcles stayed on Station Road, Craigmillar, your Old Man would definitely have gone to Tynecastle via the Duddingston & Craigmillar Station. Very popular on match day.

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_rce116b_duddingston.jpg

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_duddingston_and_craigmillar.jpg

cheers mate

I can still just about remember getting the train out to the zoo when I was wee

Pinkhill Station?

Governor Tarkin
On 05/06/2019 at 10:08, Maroon Sailor said:

Yeah I also think it's outside the Colinton Mains shops

The 21 bus has me 2nd guessing as I don't remember the 21 doing that route. Could be a 27 which would make sense

Yeh it's at the Colinton Mains shops looking east towards the back of the Chip Inn.

13 hours ago, dannymack said:

Burdiehouse Terminus

34386182070_a6ca5c337b_b.jpg

12 hours ago, weegranty said:

The Deanie's / The Dean Woods on The Lang Loan.

18 minutes ago, dannymack said:

The Deanie's / The Dean Woods on The Lang Loan.

The Lang Loan was that the road that went from Straiton to Old Dalkeith Road . I worked the Old Straiton beat right across from a hotel where the owner of of it died in what was known as the Bolton FC disaster. It was a big beat, to cover it we used a polis bike which was also big, you were sitting so high it felt like you should be supplied with oxygen.

Edited by bobsharp

6 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

The Lang Loan was that the road that went from Straiton to Old Dalkeith Road was it. I worked the Old Straiton beat right across from a hotel where the owner of of it died in what was known as the Bolton FC disaster. It was a big beat, to cover it we used a polis bike which was also big, you were sitting so high it felt like you should be supplied with oxygen.

The road started just up from the Straiton Inn and went right along to the Lasswade Road, it used to be possible to turn left then right onto Gilmerton Dykes Road which brought you out onto Newtoft Street then the crossroads at Drum Street/Gilmerton Road, straight over again onto Ferniehill Drive then the T- Junction for Old Dalkeith Rd. 

I'm intrigued about the hotel at Straiton and the Bolton FC disaster, what year was that ? 

I'm originally from Burdiehouse. 

Edited by dannymack

7 minutes ago, dannymack said:

The road started just up from the Straiton Inn and went right along to the Lasswade Road, it used to be possible to turn left then right onto Gilmerton Dykes Road which brought you out onto Newtoft Street then the crossroads at Drum Street/Gilmerton Road, straight over again onto Ferniehill Drive then the T- Junction for Old Dalkeith Rd. 

I'm intrigued about the hotel at Straiton and the Bolton FC disaster, what year was that ? 

Well I am talking at the latest 1956, because the beat became a mobile one in that year , and the death had been quite recent. It was one of those crowd panic situations i think and some were trampled, and that man was one of them. Bolton Wanderers to be specific.

11 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Just checked Google I was way out it was 1946,

16 hours ago, weegranty said:

Lots of houses now 

Not so many trees. 

9 hours ago, dannymack said:

Gorgie Crescent anyone ?

Could be anywhere I suppose.

IMG_20190608_102012.jpg

IMG_20190608_102032.jpg

IMG_20190608_102050.jpg

I think there's a park there now.

crescent.png

3fingersreid
38 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

B4FCD422-8B55-49F4-B9B9-13D40EA486A8.jpeg

That’ll be Mackays centre spot on the left with the BSM office just past the lights 

Edited by 3fingersreid

3fingersreid
13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

On the Gorgie theme

IMG_3146.JPG

Any clues on this one ? It’s getting on my nerves trying to work it out , can’t picture a bungalow on Gorgie Road 

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Any clues on this one ? It’s getting on my nerves trying to work it out , can’t picture a bungalow on Gorgie Road 

I don't know if it's that one, but there was a bungalow somewhere opposite the BT building. I think at one time, maybe early 90s, someone was selling second hand appliances out of it.

Maroon Sailor
58 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

46 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I don't know if it's that one, but there was a bungalow somewhere opposite the BT building. I think at one time, maybe early 90s, someone was selling second hand appliances out of it.

I thought it might be the section of Gorgie Road between Chesser and Luckies

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It could be. I was thinking the large building in the photo was Didcock Brothers, which was near the cottage I was thinking about, but looking at a photo of that, it's not.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Could be , there was a vets there for a while , now gone to make way for student flats 

22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That’s where I was originally thinking too but the bungalow to the right was putting me off that as there are blocks of 4 flats/houses there @ Hutchison Crossway . 

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Was it not situated just before BT is going westward on Gorgie  Road.

Maroon Sailor

IMG_3153.JPG.96191e3f0ec59bc3ea713743a6d198bb.JPG

That area of Gorgie Road has changed a lot if you look at this map

IMG_3152.JPG.488d36b2d273eab3c454ba12a147069a.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A couple for Bob

C8A31982-F919-4434-897C-7282D25FF116.jpeg

3659EDBD-BD8B-4B77-9B75-8D2DC1C4C59A.jpeg

The young lads are a wee bit after my time,they all have long troosers that we never got before we were 14/15 The second pic thats my men, never done a parade in Edinburgh but at least two a week like  that in London.

alwaysthereinspirit
On 07/06/2019 at 21:44, bobsharp said:

You are correct. The two stores visible are the chippy and one of the numerous ‘grocer’ shops.

There was eight stores at the four corners.

Bookie, butcher, newsagent, chippy, post office and 3 grocery type stores. At least there was when I was a kid.

The Bingo and a few other stores were further up towards Niddrie Mains Road.

luckyBatistuta
10 hours ago, bobsharp said:

The young lads are a wee bit after my time,they all have long troosers that we never got before we were 14/15 The second pic thats my men, never done a parade in Edinburgh but at least two a week like  that in London.

Two a week???

23 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Two a week???

Changing of The Guard, was every day except weekends when the Mount was Saturday and dismount Monday. There were four Guards mounted each day from Wellington Barracks. Like the new march tune used at the Troop on Saturday, titled Twice The Man, was in respect to the same men doing the Ceremonial stuff and also being first class soldiers doing the real infantry stuff in foreign countries.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Changing of The Guard, was every day except weekends when the Mount was Saturday and dismount Monday. There were four Guards mounted each day from Wellington Barracks. Like the new march tune used at the Troop on Saturday, titled Twice The Man, was in respect to the same men doing the Ceremonial stuff and also being first class soldiers doing the real infantry stuff in foreign countries.

Learn something new every day. Remember my brother in law being in the Trooping the Colour and tellling him I was going to watch out for him on the television, sounded like a simple plan at the time?...in my defence, I was very young.

29 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Learn something new every day. Remember my brother in law being in the Trooping the Colour and tellling him I was going to watch out for him on the television, sounded like a simple plan at the time?...in my defence, I was very young.

In addition to the above training for the Troop was regular almost a daily basis, procession for the funeral of the Turkish Ambassador, Honour Guards just like for Trump l;ast week, and street lining on the Mall for occasions you cannot even remember the purpose of, all with the Regimental Band or at least the Pipe Band or the Fifes and Drum Corp. We were more performers than soldiers. And for relevance to the thread many of the guys and their leaders were raised in this Edinburgh of history.

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

In addition to the above training for the Troop was regular almost a daily basis, procession for the funeral of the Turkish Ambassador, Honour Guards just like for Trump l;ast week, and street lining on the Mall for occasions you cannot even remember the purpose of, all with the Regimental Band or at least the Pipe Band or the Fifes and Drum Corp. We were more performers than soldiers. And for relevance to the thread many of the guys and their leaders were raised in this Edinburgh of history.

Always good to see them though, so that the public can show their appreciation for all they do.

Carl Fredrickson
18 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

D8F8208F-E1DD-444D-B712-8E56F09B9B20.jpeg

02AA315E-31B1-408A-B3A0-06A52AC55157.jpeg

8CEF559E-C985-4A4C-842A-37CBB8DAB1A4.jpeg

Is the middle one Meadowbank? If so, is one of them a speedway track?

Re Easter Road, when I was wee (preschool early 70s) my older brother would take me to both Tynie and Easter Road, whoever was playing at home. When was the huge terracing opposite the main stand reduced in size. I seem to have a memory of it being massive but cant place if it is my memory or a memory created from photos I have seen 

7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is the middle one Meadowbank? If so, is one of them a speedway track?

Re Easter Road, when I was wee (preschool early 70s) my older brother would take me to both Tynie and Easter Road, whoever was playing at home. When was the huge terracing opposite the main stand reduced in size. I seem to have a memory of it being massive but cant place if it is my memory or a memory created from photos I have seen 

Certainly a speedway track at Meadowbank, spent many happy nights watching the Monarchs there late forties early fifties. Also remember when Easter Road got that massive terracing, forgot the number but it was Hill something a battle scene I believe in the Korea war. Also played football at both Old and New Meadowbank. No football in the summer, lots of athletic meetings at New Meadowbank on a Saturday, usually included five a side games with Hearts and Hibs players playing. Strange how pictures can tweak memories, I just realise now how much time I spent sportswise  in those areas. I have been so lucky, one of my good fortunes was to be a pre and early teen in that old Edinburgh. No TV, no internet, had to get your entertainment away from the house, no phone to keep track of you, mis chief was easy if you knew how to run, dodge and if need be hide.

6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

?

183EF959-E513-4A35-981F-E443092735DA.jpeg

F8099C9D-4AAD-4B4E-8C31-4CC39EA07C25.jpeg

13AC45B4-B6D1-4B72-84F4-A50B149223CE.jpeg

Those pictures look like they are about 100 years old and yet parking meters were only introduced in the early 60's.

Actually, early 60's was nearly 60 years ago. I'm getting old.  :(