Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Jambo-Jimbo

Another view, this time from the building which has the gardens to the rear of it, you'll surely get where this is now.

image.thumb.jpeg.c2667127841d3c9dc94e3f2f3947a840.jpeg

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Another view, this time from the building which has the gardens to the rear of it, you'll surely get where this is now.

Absolutely no idea!

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Absolutely no idea!

Like I said it's a hidden gem, but all the clues to it's location are there in the photo.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The old Calton Film Studios.

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The old Calton Film Studios.

I'm more looking for where the photo has been taken from, because that relates to the gardens at the back and to the right.

Governor Tarkin
38 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm more looking for where the photo has been taken from, because that relates to the gardens at the back and to the right.

Oh aye, Its taken from the back of the Canongate Kirk.

40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Dunbars Close.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Dunbars Close.

Correct and at the back is the gardens, which is a hidden gem in the centre of Edinburgh and are modeled upon gardens in Edinburgh from the 17th Century.

The present building dates from the 1930's (I think) with only a small section of the original wall left from the original tenaments at the back.

From 1853 to 1907 my Grandmothers family were born, lived, had children & died in various houses at Dunbars Close, 6, 8 but mostly 10 Dunbars Close, I often wonder if the view from that photo looking over Canongate Kirkyard towards Calton hill & the old Royal High School was the same or similar view as my ancestors had, I'd like to think so, but may well not be.

Here is what Dunbars Close looked like in 1852.

image.jpeg.76399d5cccfe3725f78ce8c36bc258d7.jpeg

By the looks of things, the wooden structures and building are where the gardens are now, as it looks like the close entrance is in the distance.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Currently being demolished to make way for more flats

91250F2F-2449-4D70-A97C-EA72C556F289.jpeg

Dont know if this will work but this is its current state

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

It all really gets to me now, can you imagine if at my age I decided I wanted to come back and take a nostalgic tour of where I was raised, the areas I first worked as a young policeman, what a waste of money that would be, I would be totally lost. Which is not all that difficult to happen to me now anywhere.

Jambo-Jimbo
28 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

It all really gets to me now, can you imagine if at my age I decided I wanted to come back and take a nostalgic tour of where I was raised, the areas I first worked as a young policeman, what a waste of money that would be, I would be totally lost. Which is not all that difficult to happen to me now anywhere.

I've often wondered the same if my Mum or Dad were alive and went back to Bingham, Hay Drive, Niddrie & Craigmillar, they really wouldn't recognize it now.

Even some of the houses I grew up in are gone now at Bingham Circle & Craigmillar Castle Road.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Lower Abbeyhill June 1958 (majority of the buildings since demolished)

F50A6D08-0F21-4CFE-A668-8B860A3E0EFB.jpeg

That’s a great photo.  Amazing how different it all is to now, never seen or knew anything about those flats on the right before.

On 07/04/2019 at 22:03, Morgan said:

No way is the ‘new Edinburgh’ booming.

As @luckyBatistuta  has already said, or more or less said, our city will lose it’s appeal to a world wide ‘audience’ if much more of the city centre and old town turn into New feckin York.

Do you not realise that the appeal of Edinburgh derivated from it’s history, and not it’s coffee shops, tartan pish houses run by non-Scots and rip-off restaurants and pubs on the once wonderful Royal Mile and the world famous Princes Street?

The new St James Centre will be no great shakes, and Haymarket will not ‘explode’.

The only decent shopping street is now George Street but, if you go back 4 or 5 hours later for a pint or two, you may well end up being stabbed.

Aye, great.

Sorry, I just noticed this. What on earth are you blethering about man? I mentioned 3 major projects, St James Quarter, Haymarket and Waverley New Cannongate. Combined, that's just shy of £2bn of investment. All three are better than what was there previously, the St James Centre,  an old bus depot behind Waverley and a gap site on Morrison Street  for the last 50 odd years......

Edinburgh isn't booming? The ever increasing population, the airport passenger numbers  and the cranes over much the skyline suggest otherwise.

3fingersreid
44 minutes ago, pablo said:

Sorry, I just noticed this. What on earth are you blethering about man? I mentioned 3 major projects, St James Quarter, Haymarket and Waverley New Cannongate. Combined, that's just shy of £2bn of investment. All three are better than what was there previously, the St James Centre,  an old bus depot behind Waverley and a gap site on Morrison Street  for the last 50 odd years......

Edinburgh isn't booming? The ever increasing population, the airport passenger numbers  and the cranes over much the skyline suggest otherwise.

There’s no doubt there’s development ongoing in Edinburgh , but the buildings going up will in no way be held in the same high esteem as  our buildings of yesteryear , in my opinion anyway .

6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

There’s no doubt there’s development ongoing in Edinburgh , but the buildings going up will in no way be held in the same high esteem as  our buildings of yesteryear , in my opinion anyway .

No, lot's of them are pretty bland and uniform Sandstone. But I wasn't comparing them with William Playfair's work. Here's what's replacing that old bus depot on Calton Road. In my opinion, this is an improvement.

B190nyA.jpg

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, pablo said:

No, lot's of them are pretty bland and uniform Sandstone. But I wasn't comparing them with William Playfair's work. Here's what's replacing that old bus depot on Calton Road. In my opinion, this is an improvement.

B190nyA.jpg

Fully agree that’s an improvement , however it just doesn’t have any character for me  . 

3 hours ago, pablo said:

Not really ‘blethering’ Pablo.

The investment of 2 billion is, of course, admirable. It does not detract from the fact that the areas that this money has been spent on will do next to nothing to improve Edinburgh as a tourist hot-spot. 

It already was this, and is now becoming a clone of other major cities rather than having the unique originality that Auld Reekie once possessed.

I’ve no problem with your opinion, and indeed, usually agree wholeheartedly with your posts.

We obviously disagree on this one, that’s the point of a discussion forum ?

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Fully agree that’s an improvement , however it just doesn’t have any character for me  . 

My point in a nutshell.

Thanks 3f!  :thumb:

3fingersreid
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

My point in a nutshell.

Thanks 3f!  :thumb:

No probs , always nice to help the aged ?

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Not really ‘blethering’ Pablo.

The investment of 2 billion is, of course, admirable. It does not detract from the fact that the areas that this money has been spent on will do next to nothing to improve Edinburgh as a tourist hot-spot. 

It already was this, and is now becoming a clone of other major cities rather than having the unique originality that Auld Reekie once possessed.

I’ve no problem with your opinion, and indeed, usually agree wholeheartedly with your posts.

We obviously disagree on this one, that’s the point of a discussion forum ?

What has tourist hotspots got to do with anything? And in the case of the St James,  it probably will increase tourism .......It's the largest current UK inner city regeneration project and will include 6 public civic spaces where various festival events will take place and a W hotel. The only UK one outside London. It's replacing a 1960s monstrosity.

The other two projects are replacing a 50 year old gap site and an old bus depot. 

People live and work here. The criteria for rebuilding in the city centre can't only be "will it attract tourists". 

Edinburgh will never be a clone of other cities. London constantly changes and people still want to see Buckingham palaceand The Tower of London...... It's the same here.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, pablo said:

B190nyA.jpg

I agree that anything replacing the bus depot would be a improvement, but that Aparthotel Adagio replaced part of the Canongate and as I showed in the picture of it, it’s just another bland building, like the other one up the other end of the Royal Mile and I’ll bet won’t be the last. 

22 minutes ago, pablo said:

What has tourist hotspots got to do with anything? And in the case of the St James,  it probably will increase tourism .......It's the largest current UK inner city regeneration project and will include 6 public civic spaces where various festival events will take place and a W hotel. The only UK one outside London. It's replacing a 1960s monstrosity.

The other two projects are replacing a 50 year old gap site and an old bus depot. 

People live and work here. The criteria for rebuilding in the city centre can't only be "will it attract tourists". 

Edinburgh will never be a clone of other cities. London constantly changes and people still want to see Buckingham palaceand The Tower of London...... It's the same here.

I still don’t see how the St James is a game changer?  It’s just another modern retail park, sandstone and full of glass (wee fancy swirl in the middle is cool) I don’t see why tourism would increase because of it though, that’s not what  they come to Edinburgh for, it’s the history that brings them here.

A3EFBFCB-B210-4D57-89D2-C61EE55AD551.jpeg

I also don’t get the explode on to Morrison Street point either. Buildings look the same as the St James project and many others popping up all over. I’m not trying to pick a fight, just trying to get my head around what you see that’s so exciting, I just don’t see it myself.

66ABA189-2358-431E-AE82-E99A75BADC7B.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

24 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Sorry mate thought it was @luckyBatistuta I was replying to , ???

:rofl:Says the senile auld git

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Very nice try sending some nice here.?

3fingersreid
9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:rofl:Says the senile auld git

??

9 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Very nice try sending some nice here.?

I’ll do my very best Bob but “luckyOldbugger” is taking up loads of it at the minute ??

luckyBatistuta
32 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

??

I’ll do my very best Bob but “luckyOldbugger” is taking up loads of it at the minute ??

F3415F3E-7614-45AC-81A1-73E24FF19322.gif

On 08/04/2019 at 22:11, Radio Ga Ga said:

Granton Rd Station 1934

6446A02A-CA12-4578-A739-7C5C43120803.jpeg

We used to play down there when we were kids and the tracks had been lifted so it was all overgrown, I would never have guessed it was wide enough for two lines.

On 05/04/2019 at 19:03, Jambo-Jimbo said:

image.png.10e4aae7bf3c3581439d40fc8dcf5552.png

Didn't always look like this.

I worked at the bottom of the Royal Mile for around a decade - must have been at least 3/4 years before I realised this place existed. Only discovered wandering down a random close one sunny lunch time. 

12 hours ago, pablo said:

I’m going to bow out graciously here. :) 

But, not without adding my agreeance with @luckyBatistuta with regard to the  St James being a ‘game changer’. Sorry, I just don’t get that.

Anyway, over and out.

Jambo-Jimbo
45 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

I worked at the bottom of the Royal Mile for around a decade - must have been at least 3/4 years before I realised this place existed. Only discovered wandering down a random close one sunny lunch time. 

And I'll bet that it was nice, quiet, peaceful and a world away from the hussle & bussle of the Canongate, like I said many people don't have a clue that places such as this exist in the centre of Edinburgh.

Radio Ga Ga

1987 Looks like a pretty major incident?

370C6B9E-3F8C-4D5C-8885-F1FB00F11192.jpeg

Edited by Radio Ga Ga
Edit forget that it’s a display I think, already posted I believe

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Maybe an event, something to do with the station just out of shot?

Carl Fredrickson
25 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Old engines - maybe moving them from the museum at McDonald Road (i think) to the building at Lauriston Place.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

LuckyBatistuta waiting for a fare at Waverley 1940’s ?

CD7778A1-9E2C-49AA-82D8-8BBB4299963B.jpeg

I’d love one of them, they look great.