• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

d125dffd5c3cac346a55c954c96f19d3.jpg

25 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

FFS!  "Style and exuberance", indeed.

Woman on the right looks like she’s wishing she was anywhere else than dancing with the tube in his Xmas tank top giving it the safety dance :lol:

21 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Woman on the right looks like she’s wishing she was anywhere else than dancing with the tube in his Xmas tank top giving it the safety dance :lol:

Perhaps the first ever victim of rohypnol, with the guy over her shoulder making his move.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Perhaps the first ever victim of rohypnol, with the guy over her shoulder making his move.

Never noticed him, got a familiar look to him...year could be wrong? 

I drove home along Mayfield Rd today, the first time in a while, and noticed that the garage and the Braidburn Inn (coloured yellow below) have both been flattened. It will be interesting to see what goes up in their place. Flats no doubt.

2019-04-11.jpg

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

I drove home along Mayfield Rd today, the first time in a while, and noticed that the garage and the Braidburn Inn (coloured yellow below) have both been flattened. It will be interesting to see what goes up in their place. Flats no doubt.

2019-04-11.jpg

My first guess would be student accommodation, if not that, I’ll go for retirement flats.

12 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

My first guess would be student accommodation, if not that, I’ll go for retirement flats.

I just checked the council planning department site and there'll be 148 student flats over the two plots.  It'll come as no surprise to you that buff sandstone will be involved.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I just checked the council planning department site and there'll be 148 student flats over the two plots.  It'll come as no surprise to you that buff sandstone will be involved.

It’s soul destroying stuff. The city is overrun with these buildings, it’s turning into a giant campus. Folk are slowly moving out the city to the surrounding areas, as they just can’t afford the decreasing properties that are available. I really feel for the young ones these days trying to get themselves on the property ladder.

luckyBatistuta
16 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Bonnington 1950’s

5AD6AF77-767B-472D-83D3-B9AF1F89B5A6.jpeg

You sure that’s not Gorgie road, with the bridge and Tynie Arms in the background?

Radio Ga Ga
6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You sure that’s not Gorgie road, with the bridge and Tynie Arms in the background?

Bonnington Toll I believe,  is the tram heading towards Leith Walk?

Edited by Radio Ga Ga

18 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Looking at the tram it has a number 4 showing and the destination board I think shows Churchhill, which would make it possibly a number 14 which was the Granton Churchill Circle, the 14 went in one circle and the 13 went the same route but in the opposite circle.

The Real Maroonblood
57 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m sure you’re right.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I got your post straight away ?

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Bonnington 1950’s

5AD6AF77-767B-472D-83D3-B9AF1F89B5A6.jpeg

The bridge from another angle, I think.

40040337573-6e6b21c628.jpg

ArcticJambo
17 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Yes, I believe so; picture looks like it has been taken from Pilrig Street, on the Rosebank Cemetery side of the road (In fact the shadows cast upon the road look like the shape of various tombstones).

Tenements in far distance (continuation of Pilrig Street) would be Newhaven Road, with Bonnington Road running just off parallel with the railway bridge (see second picture posted looking towards GJS.

Couple of interesting photos!

Edited by ArcticJambo

Gordon Zola
On 01/04/2019 at 19:54, N Lincs Jambo said:

I was good mates at school with the eldest son of the goalkeeper D Dewar in this photo (also used to go to Hearts games with him). I think @bobsharp knew him from his police days?? Pretty sure his middle son is the current CEO of Edinburgh Airport. Dougie in the photo was a golfing and drinking buddy of my father’s back in the 70s.

Hi mate, I work with Dougie Dewar's granddaughter and shared this with her. She has shown this to her uncles and dad but they are unsure as to who N Lincs Jambo is? Would be good to know to jog their memories!

20 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

It'll come as no surprise to you that buff sandstone will be involved.

It may be further back but why are folk objecting so much to the sandstone?

39 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

I don't get the outcry either - it's the same on the skyscrapercity edinburgh forum.

For me, the sandstone actually looks good. It's the same repetitive architecture which you can tell will look outdated in 20/30 years time that winds me up. 

N Lincs Jambo
48 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Hi mate, I work with Dougie Dewar's granddaughter and shared this with her. She has shown this to her uncles and dad but they are unsure as to who N Lincs Jambo is? Would be good to know to jog their memories!

Hi Gordon, just tried sending you a PM but it’s saying you can’t accept messages.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
46 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

I assumed sandstone might be the magnolia paint of the brick world? 

Gordon Zola
23 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Hi Gordon, just tried sending you a PM but it’s saying you can’t accept messages.

Try it now mate, my inbox was full.

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I assumed sandstone might be the magnolia paint of the brick world? 

Would that not be red brick. Something there's not a lot of in Edinburgh.

Maybe that's what some folks want, red brick inplace of Scottish sandstone. 

1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

I don't get the outcry either - it's the same on the skyscrapercity edinburgh forum.

For me, the sandstone actually looks good. It's the same repetitive architecture which you can tell will look outdated in 20/30 years time that winds me up. 

Thats my thoughts too.

The majority of the old 'character' buildings were built of sandstone (as you see when they get cleaned), so I'm genuinely been puzzled by the outcry over using the same/similar material.

2 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Thats my thoughts too.

The majority of the old 'character' buildings were built of sandstone (as you see when they get cleaned), so I'm genuinely been puzzled by the outcry over using the same/similar material.

Exactly, they beat the hell out of the concrete monstrosities that were put up in the 50s and 60s.

If they were to just design the buildings with a bit more character. It doesn't need to be traditional, I would actually quite like some striking buildings which give some character but the current style will look dreadful in only a few years I reckon. The Radisson on the Royal Mile is the one of the best use of sandstone imo and you still hear people moan about it. 

Doctor FinnBarr
25 minutes ago, inspector said:

Top of Ashley Terrace

What happened though? Looks like an earthquake has hit.

3 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

What happened though? Looks like an earthquake has hit.

With the water on the street looks like it could be a burst water main.

Maroon Sailor
On 11/04/2019 at 15:26, Maroon Sailor said:

d125dffd5c3cac346a55c954c96f19d3.jpg

Had to look up where this club was.

Fat Sams !

0_adverts_clubs_and_discos_americana_discotheque.jpg