Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Radio Ga Ga
23 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Its been a long time bit I don't recall there still being prefabs in Craigmillar in 1964, the last I recall were in the Greendykes area. I of course may be being a bit semantic,  to many these other sites were all Craigmillar, but we were more inclined to specificity.

Bob, you maybe right, the site I downloaded the picture from had it listed as Craigmillar, however, a couple of folk have pointed out that it should read Greendykes as the Flats being built in the background seem to confirm this...

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Bob, you maybe right, the site I downloaded the picture from had it listed as Craigmillar, however, a couple of folk have pointed out that it should read Greendykes as the Flats being built in the background seem to confirm this...

Thanks, when I was away from my PC I was a wee bit worried that you might think I was being contradictory, glad that wasn't so.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
19 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

the caption say

The carriageways and pavements of Princes Street, like much of the New Town, sit atop a man-made causeway with cellars under the road itself.

This fact would have been obvious until around c1910, the era this photograph was taken, when there were still buildings along our main thoroughfare that had the original Georgian configuration of railings, basements, cellars and steps. Today there is just one and it's adjacent to Primark.

In the case of 118 Princes Street - the building to our left in this photo - the frontage was heavily altered and an extension built soon after this image was taken.

I bet there's still evidence of those cellars in the basement of what is now HSBC though

I  could be wrong, but aren't the glass bricks you see in the pavements not where the cellars have been covered? Vancouver or Seattle has the same (pretty sure it's at skid Row in Seattle). 

Radio Ga Ga
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That is Northumberland Street

Yet another street listed wrong on the website where I downloaded the picture from, didn’t think that was Howe Street but took the posted picture at face value. I think Howe Street runs North to South whereas Northumberland St runs East to West???

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Yet another street listed wrong on the website where I downloaded the picture from, didn’t think that was Howe Street but took the posted picture at face value. I think Howe Street runs North to South whereas Northumberland St runs East to West???

I’ve had a couple of the old demolished ones named wrongly on websites too, but with all the detectives on here, we get there in the end.

luckyBatistuta

241-251 High Street, 1922. The Tron picture house is now the Filling Station. Old Post Office Close to the left, which is now the City Chambers.

67255335-0FDB-457B-ACE0-85F86EE54C66.jpeg

0C9A1BE4-5377-48FC-8D70-B6A9E906F9E1.jpeg

82B7463C-E011-4A04-A036-57DFBD5F4AFE.jpeg

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

June 1958

4327C141-FAB3-4871-9989-0474A8FFB0EE.jpeg

A stunning photo. How it looked when we won the league ?

On 04/04/2019 at 12:08, Radio Ga Ga said:

1964 Prefab Craigmiller

12149853-B17B-4279-9C07-86AAECD8927C.jpeg

Exactly the same style as the one I lived in, in Sighthill ( Calder Loan).

The White Cockade
40 minutes ago, micole said:

Exactly the same style as the one I lived in, in Sighthill ( Calder Loan).

My Gran lived in one in Moredun 

Can just about remember it 

3fingersreid

D88B008D-88B1-4FC9-A7A6-2E3EE5173B15.jpeg

That you sitting down studying the knowledge ? 

241-251 High Street, 1922. The Tron picture house is now the Filling Station. Old Post Office Close to the left, which is now the City Chambers.

67255335-0FDB-457B-ACE0-85F86EE54C66.jpeg

0C9A1BE4-5377-48FC-8D70-B6A9E906F9E1.jpeg

82B7463C-E011-4A04-A036-57DFBD5F4AFE.jpeg

Wow, I'd assumed that part of the City Chambers had been there a lot longer than that, (1930s apparently).

luckyBatistuta
19 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Glad to see you’ve got rid of that stick, your wee shiny climbing frame you use now is much cooler.

14 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Wow, I'd assumed that part of the City Chambers had been there a lot longer than that, (1930s apparently).

Same, it’s incredible the things that we keep finding out about the history of our fine city.

luckyBatistuta
57 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The original North Bridge, a lot of people don't know we're on the second one.

Yup, completely different arches. The Bank of Scotland building is in the exact position of the building above the wall, looks like wall is in the same position too, but also different.

0B26FDF0-7871-486F-8375-63657A11AAA6.jpeg

7F130360-4987-47AD-8A4C-41FF6C0D0D63.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

The White Cockade
2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

maybe Bob Sharp can tell us what the Nor Loch looked like!!

:clyay:

Sorry Bob

3fingersreid
40 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

maybe Bob Sharp can tell us what the Nor Loch looked like!!

:clyay:

Sorry Bob

I think you may feel the wrath all the way from Canada ??

ArcticJambo
13 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Nicolson Street

54434259_2262587093802856_6104714708915322880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fiom1-1.fna&oh=262c5e1018d829ce764bdae1dfe05137&oe=5D40B0EB

At West Richmond St (right of pic)?  The glass facade building I seem to recall.

14 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Nicolson Street

54434259_2262587093802856_6104714708915322880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fiom1-1.fna&oh=262c5e1018d829ce764bdae1dfe05137&oe=5D40B0EB

One from the opposite direction. 1982, after a fire.

0-street-views-nicolson-street-36-42-upt

ArcticJambo
10 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

One from the opposite direction. 1982, after a fire.

0-street-views-nicolson-street-36-42-upt

.... so combine the two pics and you have nicolson street between west richmond street and hill place. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

.... so combine the two pics and you have nicolson street between west richmond street and hill place. :thumbsup:

Is this the boozer that burned down after the C&W night when there was straw bales left in the place that mysteriously caught fire ? 

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is this the boozer that burned down after the C&W night when there was straw bales left in the place that mysteriously caught fire ? 

The Real Maroonblood
On 05/04/2019 at 20:53, The White Cockade said:

Nicolson Street

I remember when the corner shop was StCuthberts shoe shop.

On 05/04/2019 at 22:30, 3fingersreid said:

I think you may feel the wrath all the way from Canada ??

:lol: 

I think @bobsharp was on nodding terms with Rob Roy McGregor in these days.  :) 

Sorry, Bob :wink: 

3fingersreid
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Being in the land of amphibian leg munchers wont be far enough away either Mr Morgan, the long arm of the law reaches far ???

17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Just so there are no mistakes about my past and my close friends, Rob Roy was a really good buddy and we spent many happy hours swimming in the Nor Loch. We missed Saturdays as that was the day that the Gardyloo cleaners dumped the sweepings from the streets into the loch. I remember twice lassies coming down and paddling, we actually  saw their bare  ankles. Of course you wordsmiths would all have been lost with your funny use of words like have, because we spoke mainly French. If you send me a cheque for a few dollars I will send you pictures and other souvenirs from those days and some of Rob Roys ac tual clothes I kept.

Edited by bobsharp

13 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Being in the land of amphibian leg munchers wont be far enough away either Mr Morgan, the long arm of the law reaches far ???

I know :sad: 

Regretted it as soon as I posted.

Dear @bobsharp

ah didnae mean it. 

:) 

2 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Just so there are no mistakes about my past and my close friends, Rob Roy was a really good buddy and we spent many happy hours swimming in the Nor Loch. We missed Saturdays as that was the day that the Gardyloo cleaners dumped the sweepings from the streets into the loch. I remember twice lassies coming down and paddling, we actually  saw their bare  ankles. Of course you wordsmiths would all have been lost with your funny use of words like have, because we spoke mainly French. If you send me a cheque for a few dollars I will send you pictures and other souvenirs from those days and some of Rob Roys ac tual clothes I kept.

You just had to mention bare ankles, didn’t you?

I’ve come over all unnecessary.

Drat you!

Carl Fredrickson
23 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Are you a write for Mills & Boon? 

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

You just had to mention bare ankles, didn’t you?

I’ve come over all unnecessary.

Drat you!

Bob Sharp has either mellowed or his wee whisky  from last night hasn’t quite worn off yet , for the fun factor I hope it’s the later and the old Scots Guardsman will come to the fore ??

It's not appropriate because the thread is about Edinburgh history,  but I can't help thinking it's a shame there's no present Edinburgh pictures.  Walking around the city centre at the moment is amazing. Especially in the East end and Old town. The views of the (new Waverley) Cannongate are incredible. Edinburgh looks like a proper capital city more and more in my opinion. 

luckyBatistuta
15 minutes ago, pablo said:

It's not appropriate because the thread is about Edinburgh history,  but I can't help thinking it's a shame there's no present Edinburgh pictures.  Walking around the city centre at the moment is amazing. Especially in the East end and Old town. The views of the (new Waverley) Cannongate are incredible. Edinburgh looks like a proper capital city more and more in my opinion. 

Can you tell me what streets you were on, fancy visiting them to bring my faith back in the coconuts running the show. Everything that goes up looks the same. Flat blocks of sand coloured stone and glass everywhere...including in place of the block they knocked down on the Canongate.

Jambo-Jimbo
On 05/04/2019 at 19:03, Jambo-Jimbo said:

image.png.10e4aae7bf3c3581439d40fc8dcf5552.png

Didn't always look like this.

23 minutes ago, pablo said:

I posted the above photo the other day, a hidden gem in the centre of Edinburgh and one which I wouldn't be surprised that many don't know exists.

Here is another angle.

image.thumb.jpeg.0291ff0578dd749e3ae3264a56f2b698.jpeg

20 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Can you tell me what streets you were on, fancy visiting them to bring my faith back in the coconuts running the show. Everything that goes up looks the same. Flat blocks of sand coloured stone and glass everywhere...including in place of the block they knocked down on the Canongate.

I agree about the colour and shape in the most part, but looking down on new Cannongate from Regent Road and seeing this modern area appearing is generational change.The reopening of Jacobs Ladder. The St James Quarter is shaping up to be a game changer and Haymarket is about to explode on Morrison Street. Edinburgh is absolutely booming. It feels similar to the regeneration of Kings Cross in London. IMO. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, pablo said:

I agree about the colour and shape in the most part, but looking down on new Cannongate from Regent Road and seeing this modern area appearing is generational change.The reopening of Jacobs Ladder. The St James Quarter is shaping up to be a game changer and Haymarket is about to explode on Morrison Street. Edinburgh is absolutely booming. It feels similar to the regeneration of Kings Cross in London. IMO. 

You like that modern area on the Cowgate, it’s a meh from me. It’s just another bland sandstone block hotel, like the one on the other end of the mile and all the others popping up around the city centre. You can see these bland modern building in any city around the world. These tourists don’t flock from all over the world to this tiny capital for this, or to see these featureless blocks of glass either. Give it another couple of years and they’ll probably knock another one on the mile down, for student apartments, with a lovely Greggs and Costa underneath. The St James Quarter a game changer...in what respect?

3 hours ago, pablo said:

No way is the ‘new Edinburgh’ booming.

As @luckyBatistuta  has already said, or more or less said, our city will lose it’s appeal to a world wide ‘audience’ if much more of the city centre and old town turn into New feckin York.

Do you not realise that the appeal of Edinburgh derivated from it’s history, and not it’s coffee shops, tartan pish houses run by non-Scots and rip-off restaurants and pubs on the once wonderful Royal Mile and the world famous Princes Street?

The new St James Centre will be no great shakes, and Haymarket will not ‘explode’.

The only decent shopping street is now George Street but, if you go back 4 or 5 hours later for a pint or two, you may well end up being stabbed.

Aye, great.

Edited by Morgan

been here before
4 hours ago, pablo said:

The St James Quarter is shaping up to be a game changer and Haymarket is about to explode on Morrison Street.

?  Right.

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, pablo said:

Fountainbridge area

63A6A33D-77BE-4209-B403-72239AAE4C29.jpeg

5C4E1086-3DE5-4F51-A2BE-7699CBD72875.jpeg

5494A52B-35AC-450B-8B7F-621CE2886386.jpeg

AB01633D-6B51-4E4B-916B-CECC70FC3EB5.jpeg

0F0FC484-45A2-4335-82C0-7CFE88F63FED.jpeg

B7CA57C4-E17B-465E-88F8-29988E3CF633.jpeg

Royal Mile, Cowgate area, including the Square you like

9CA84F2D-D7C9-4292-9FDE-5081F93EDB6A.jpeg

E9BF495D-6961-4DF9-B4AC-3BBAAF363F15.jpeg

D85F2E90-C4B7-43F4-94AC-52453C358EBF.jpeg

FF0EE9AF-9CFD-42C5-8247-94776A3C28F5.jpeg

Princes Street

AC2C38EA-12E6-40EE-BB7C-8679F34B59CA.jpeg

Leith Walk, two blocks of student accommodation and spreading across the city.

D350C7A6-FADE-49A3-9A94-06A2BD6FAEDB.jpeg

2E922C6A-3416-432A-884B-B6140559FE48.jpeg

‘’And lastly, the beautiful new Haymarket, Morrison project. That’s going to have tourists coming in their droves ?

BD1C7CCD-A256-48A3-B843-F3F4B79A619F.jpeg

☹️☹️☹️

Edited by luckyBatistuta

I find those pictures quite educational. I have mentioned before what really got me on my first visit to Canada was the clean brightness of Vancouver. This was a new city, no real history, unlike Edinburgh. I am sure these new buildings are very practical, but in a way they are also cosmetic. Its almost like an old person wearing young pesons clothing, driving a youthful persons car, but the finished product is a sham, it is still a person or thing of age, it doesn't portray the youth that is being aimed at, it only looks like a cover up, and diminishes the history, dignity and character of what once was.