Tommy Robinson

ri Alban

Ron Burgundy
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Absolutely agree. Except they don't do a good job of escaping the stereotype.

I would say neither does enough to distance themselves from the mentalist element within each group.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peter_hmfc

• Bridge of Djoum

• Governor Tarkin

• Unknown user

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

I would say neither does enough to distance themselves from the mentalist element within each group.

Can you see the problem with your analogy here in the difference between actively choosing to go out and support someone/something like the EDL, versus simply going about your daily life having been born into a religion you practise quietly with no imposition on anyone else?

15 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just as not all Muslims are suicide bombers I'm using the same logic that not all people supporting this guy are rabid racists.

Aye but they have picked out one fat bald neo Nazi in the crowd doing a Nazi salute likesy ken.

These people don't get it though.  It can not be more simple really.  If you dismiss all Tommy Robinson supporters as racist then you are a bigot.

Had to come off this thread for a while as it was actually making me nauseous, all the competing to see who hates Tommy more so therefore is the better person.  

Tommy Robinson has millions upon millions of supporters all over the world. Supporters ranging from highly esteemed academics to the working class Joe Schmoe. To suggest that makes them racist makes that person the most cretinous of cretins.

Edited by i8hibsh

Ron Burgundy
12 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Can you see the problem with your analogy here in the difference between actively choosing to go out and support someone/something like the EDL, versus simply going about your daily life having been born into a religion you practise quietly with no imposition on anyone else?

But Muslims choose to actively follow Islam, that's their choice and if they do so peacefully there's no problem. If you peacefully protest about something without using violence then, again, there is no problem.

Also why have you mentioned the EDL?

I am not following this very closely but I'm sure a huge percentage are not EDL members but arguing what they see as an injustice.

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

But Muslims choose to actively follow Islam, that's their choice and if they do so peacefully there's no problem. If you peacefully protest about something without using violence then, again, there is no problem.

Also why have you mentioned the EDL?

I am not following this very closely but I'm sure a huge percentage are not EDL members but arguing what they see as an injustice.

Rightly or wrongly (and as an atheist I have mixed feelings about this) we legally treat membership of a religion as an inherent characteristic, pretty much the same as race, gender, etc. However I think we do that based on fairly solid ground. So you can say something like "Muslims choose to actively follow Islam" but that is really a deflection from the argument I was making: we view membership in a religion and its practice as something different than the march you saw here, or joining a group like the EDL/a leader like Tommy Robinson (which is why I brought the EDL up--as a general, but related, example).

I would challenge your assertion further that "Muslims choose to actively follow Islam" with the equivalent "Christians choose to actively follow Christianity". But keeping things close to home, did we ever see Catholics asked to actively disavow murders the IRA committed in order to "prove" that they personally are okay? Of Protestants to condemn Ulster loyalist paramilitary terrorist acts, in order to "do enough to distance themselves from the mentalist element"? I certainly hope not, at least not by any decent part of society, for exactly the same reason: good, moral people had nothing to do with any of that, and they have no responsibility to distance themselves from it at all in order to be presumed good and moral.

Your analogy fails. Not your conclusion--I agree there are probably a few non-racists in that group, somewhere. And there are really only probably a relative few truly rabid racists like the guy in the picture. The majority will be like i8 and his ilk, comfortably dinner table racist, "have plenty of Muslim friends", etc., yet actively supporting white supremacy all the same.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s really quite simple - Robinson is in contempt of court. He’d been warned and he’s breached the terms of a previous sentence. It’s not difficult to see why the collection of neds in London struggle to compute this but it shouldn’t take much explaining.

Unfortunately, enough some on here are as thick as s**t and don’t understand that.

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Rightly or wrongly (and as an atheist I have mixed feelings about this) we legally treat membership of a religion as an inherent characteristic, pretty much the same as race, gender, etc. However I think we do that based on fairly solid ground. So you can say something like "Muslims choose to actively follow Islam" but that is really a deflection from the argument I was making: we view membership in a religion and its practice as something different than the march you saw here, or joining a group like the EDL/a leader like Tommy Robinson (which is why I brought the EDL up--as a general, but related, example).

I would challenge your assertion further that "Muslims choose to actively follow Islam" with the equivalent "Christians choose to actively follow Christianity". But keeping things close to home, did we ever see Catholics asked to actively disavow murders the IRA committed in order to "prove" that they personally are okay? Of Protestants to condemn Ulster loyalist paramilitary terrorist acts, in order to "do enough to distance themselves from the mentalist element"? I certainly hope not, at least not by any decent part of society, for exactly the same reason: good, moral people had nothing to do with any of that, and they have no responsibility to distance themselves from it at all in order to be presumed good and moral.

Your analogy fails. Not your conclusion--I agree there are probably a few non-racists in that group, somewhere. And there are really only probably a relative few truly rabid racists like the guy in the picture. The majority will be like i8 and his ilk, comfortably dinner table racist, "have plenty of Muslim friends", etc., yet actively supporting white supremacy all the same.

You are making an argument I am not.

The fact you state there are probably a few non racist in the group (somewhere)  is exactly the same as someone saying there are probably a few muslims who are not terrorists.

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

You are making an argument I am not.

Perhaps.

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

The fact you state there are probably a few non racist in the group (somewhere)  is exactly the same as someone saying there are probably a few muslims who are not terrorists.

No. It isn't.

Have a nice day.

Sexton Hardcastle

Seems the wee brothers in the SDL want a march In Glasgow. Yet more wasted public service money policing chumps in their best clobber and union jacks.

Geoff the Mince
28 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I8 supports white supremists?  

Edited by Geoff the Mince
wording

2 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Seems the wee brothers in the SDL want a march In Glasgow. Yet more wasted public service money policing chumps in their best clobber and union jacks.

If the SDL are there to defend us against the EDL, what's the problem? 

53 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

The injustice being that TR was jailed for contempt of court?

The arguments about this keep going around and around in circles.

He is not a political prisoner. This is not a violation of freedom of speech. The reporting ban on the grooming gang case was there to protect the case and Stephen Yaxley Lennon decided to report anyways. He is in jail for putting the grooming gang case in jeopardy.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Aye but they have picked out one fat bald neo Nazi in the crowd doing a Nazi salute likesy ken.

These people don't get it though.  It can not be more simple really.  If you dismiss all Tommy Robinson supporters as racist then you are a bigot.

Had to come off this thread for a while as it was actually making me nauseous, all the competing to see who hates Tommy more so therefore is the better person.  

Tommy Robinson has millions upon millions of supporters all over the world. Supporters ranging from highly esteemed academics to the working class Joe Schmoe. To suggest that makes them racist makes that person the most cretinous of cretins.

:rofl::cornette:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
24 minutes ago, Boris said:

The injustice being that TR was jailed for contempt of court?

Some people are far too stupid to realise this. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Importantly for him, Robinson knows this too.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Exactly. The gullible believe anything they are told. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

which pretty much explains why Robinson/Lennon is able to garner support. He knew what he was doing, he knew he was risking arrest and jail but he went ahead anyway. If you support that then you essentially support a society where the courts have no authority, or no enforceable authority.

56 minutes ago, Cade said:

He is not a political prisoner. This is not a violation of freedom of speech. The reporting ban on the grooming gang case was there to protect the case and Stephen Yaxley Lennon decided to report anyways. He is in jail for putting the grooming gang case in jeopardy.

He knew all this before dciding to do what he done. He's basically been locked up for having a massive ego.  

doctor jambo

If I had genuine concerns about Muslim grooming gangs,  but was not already a horrible racist,

I would not express my concerns on the matter by attending an EDL march.

If I was a horrible racist, and wanted to publically display my hatred for Muslims, yet was seeking an "acceptable" means to bash Islam in public whilst superficially having a worthy cause, an EDL event outside such a trial would be the best means to do it

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And funnily enough, he actually pleaded guilty. He admitted he broke the law. 

The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

And funnily enough, he actually pleaded guilty. He admitted he broke the law. 

Exactly, so that makes the thick more thick.

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Exactly, so that makes the thick more thick.

Agreed.

A22F8619-EEDE-457E-9856-CFC43D9F2E87.jpeg

Governor Tarkin
6 hours ago, Justin Z said:

The majority will be like i8 and his ilk, comfortably dinner table racist, "have plenty of Muslim friends", etc., yet actively supporting white supremacy all the same.

I'll take issue with this.

He talks pish on here but i8 certainly isn't a white supremacy supporter. That's a horrible accusation to blindly chuck around.

You should wind your neck in with that shit, mate.

MacDonald Jardine
38 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'll take issue with this.

He talks pish on here but i8 certainly isn't a white supremacy supporter. That's a horrible accusation to blindly chuck around.

You should wind your neck in with that shit, mate.

Indeed. 

I don't agree with more or less any of his political views but "white supremacist "?

Bridge of Djoum
8 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just as not all Muslims are suicide bombers I'm using the same logic that not all people supporting this guy are rabid racists.

:cornette:

Yep. That's a bang on analogy.

:rofl:

6 hours ago, Cade said:

Yes he is and no he isn't

Bridge of Djoum
22 hours ago, Justin Z said:

All so perfectly captured in one photo

image.thumb.png.3cee980f07e1ad15422462f065ef2922.png

The irony of a Nazi salute whilst standing with the British flag is amazing. 

I do like Lyle & Scott, though.

21 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yes he is and no he isn't

He is not a political prisoner ffs. He broke the same law twice.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

He is not a political prisoner ffs. He broke the same law twice.

There goes almost every political prisoner in history then. That bloody criminal Mandela...Pesky suffragettes. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

There goes almost every political prisoner in history then. That bloody criminal Mandela...Pesky suffragettes. 

FFS

Unknown user

He broke the law, again, admitted it, and pled guilty in court. 

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He broke the law, again, admitted it, and pled guilty in court. 

That doesn't define political prisoner I'm afraid. 

Please tell me why he is a political prisoner.

15 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Wow .......just wow.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Wow .......just wow.

Straight back at you...now tell me what you're brain can't comprehend. If you're basing on your opinion on who you agree or disagree with then you're a bigger ***** than TR.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yeah, that's a crime and he's in jail for it. 

Feel free to put together a coherent argument any time, right now you're just reinforcing stereotypes and doing your side no favours.

4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Please tell me why he is a political prisoner.

To decide who is a political prisoner we have to define what a political prisoner is. It can't be up to the establishment in a particular country to decide, and of course not be based on whether we agree with them politically. In the absence of an accepted definition then, If you believe TR's actions were politically motivated, then you have to consider that he may be a political prisoner. Just saying I hate the ***** doesn't mean his actions were not political and does not mean he's not a political prisoner.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, that's a crime and he's in jail for it. 

Feel free to put together a coherent argument any time, right now you're just reinforcing stereotypes and doing your side no favours.

My side is very much anti racist, anti fascist and anti sectarian. I think we should try not to stereotype people. Clearly you are on another side all together.

10 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Straight back at you...now tell me what you're brain can't comprehend. If you're basing on your opinion on who you agree or disagree with then you're a bigger ***** than TR.

You seem I nice chap.

He broke the law . A law that is in place for good reason.

Geoff Kilpatrick
33 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

My point about Robinson knowing that his acolytes don't understand the law has just been proven!

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

:phface::cornette_dog::rofl::rofl:

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

To decide who is a political prisoner we have to define what a political prisoner is. It can't be up to the establishment in a particular country to decide, and of course not be based on whether we agree with them politically. In the absence of an accepted definition then, If you believe TR's actions were politically motivated, then you have to consider that he may be a political prisoner. Just saying I hate the ***** doesn't mean his actions were not political and does not mean he's not a political prisoner.

He's a criminal prisoner, convicted of crimes that he admitted and pled guilty to. 

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

My side is very much anti racist, anti fascist and anti sectarian. I think we should try not to stereotype people. Clearly you are on another side all together.

Your side is the one that claims he's a political prisoner with nothing to back it up. 

He broke the law, pled guilty and got sentenced.

I won't hold my breath for that coherent argument. 

Bridge of Djoum
11 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

OK. 

Bobby Sands. Terrorist or freedom fighter?

Nelson Mandela. Terrorist or freedom fighter?

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

He's a criminal prisoner, convicted of crimes that he admitted and pled guilty to. 

Your side is the one that claims he's a political prisoner with nothing to back it up. 

He broke the law, pled guilty and got sentenced.

I won't hold my breath for that coherent argument. 

You haven't made an argument at all. Just a lot of stereotypes. 

Just now, New York Fleapit said:

OK. 

Bobby Sands. Terrorist or freedom fighter?

Nelson Mandela. Terrorist or freedom fighter?

At last, someone with intelligence.

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

My point about Robinson knowing that his acolytes don't understand the law has just been proven!

I think you'll find It's a philosophical point not a legal point.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

I think you'll find It's a philosophical point not a legal point.

No philosophy involved at all. He was warned if he continued acting as he did that he would be up for contempt. That was after being found guilty of contempt on a previous occasion. And he knew exactly what he was doing.

Bridge of Djoum
5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

At last, someone with intelligence.

I wouldn't go that far.