Hybrid Pitch

kila

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

Ah well there are a few hundred people scattered over the globe now that had a lovely evening in August in Edinburger, Scotchland. Bet most of them couldn't even name our club if you asked them.

Best time I have had at Tynecastle in all of 2019. Don't knock it 

:sob:

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
On 10/01/2020 at 20:01, Jambof3tornado said:

You are sort of wrong.

The concert caused a problem but only in that it prevented certain maintenance from taking place.

We wont make the same mistake again.

Puzzled at the time this was posted but it maybe fits with the failure to skim theory for the state of the pitch.

44 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

I will find out, 

All the EPL hybrid pitches look like carpets - I wonder if they all skim the surface prior to the season as standard maintenance?

This skimming the pitch (or fraise mowing) is not something I have any recollection of hearing about when the pitch was getting installed or any of the videos or links about hybrid pitches in general. And from a quick Google search it doesn't seem to be mentioned as a regular/annual thing for other clubs.

It seems very odd when the claim is that these hybrid pitches have much strengthened root zones for nearly the whole root zone to be 'skimmed' each close season.  Middlesbrough non-hybrid skimmed 15mm - which appears to be the entire root zone of a hybrid pitch plastic fibres and all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37008396

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2016/10/hybrid-football-pitches-why-the-grass-is-always-greener/

27 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

All the EPL hybrid pitches look like carpets - I wonder if they all skim the surface prior to the season as standard maintenance?

they might, as i said, i'll find out and i will post back.

1 hour ago, kila said:

I am curious why the pitch, if skimmed, would have been ready for football come 12th July but a few weeks after that not be in a stable enough state to host a concert on half of it (and that half got ****ed anyway and re-spawned over the last of the summer sun)

I was about to post similar, thanks for saving me the effort!  I also find the whole skimming/concert theory rather hard to understand!

57 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I have been informed that this is standard procedure for Hybrid Pitches every close season. Because of the Concert this was not carried out and this is a major part of the reason the pitch is in this condition. 

16 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

I have been informed that this is standard procedure for Hybrid Pitches every close season. Because of the Concert this was not carried out and this is a major part of the reason the pitch is in this condition. 

So IF this is true Ann Budge stonewalled the shareholders at the AGM and was ‘creative’ with the truth - and that’s being diplomatic!
Also IF this is true, apologies are due to our greenkeeping staff who have been thrown under a bus by our Chairwoman!

Edited by Thomaso

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Because we couldnt hold a concert on our football pitch if we went ahead with the actual work required!!

Do you know if there is a lag from the time the skimming being done as to when it is considered safe to you use the pitch for other events such as concerts, boxing matches and so on?

Or should the new pitch been given say a period of 3 - 5 years of full maintainance and minimal usage before upping the usage. 

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

So if this is true Ann Budge stonewalled the shareholders at the AGM and was ‘creative’ with the truth - and that’s being diplomatic!
Also if this is true, apologies are due to our greenkeeping staff who have been thrown under a bus by our Chairwoman!

What did she say? 

Just now, SUTOL said:

What did she say? 

She passed the question about the state of the pitch to another who stated there had been no complaints from opposition teams, it was to be over seeded and it would be sorted by the end of January.

At no time did the Club give a reason for the bad state of the pitch and certainly have never stated that a maintenance process was not carried out (if this skimming revelation is true).

5 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

So IF this is true Ann Budge stonewalled the shareholders at the AGM and was ‘creative’ with the truth - and that’s being diplomatic!
Also IF this is true, apologies are due to our greenkeeping staff who have been thrown under a bus by our Chairwoman!

To not follow standard procedure when you spend this amount of money on the produce is absolutely crazy. I'm totally with you on your comments. 

This skimming sounds like bullshit to me.The whole point of the hybrid is injecting fibres deep enough to form strong roots. Why, and indeed how, do you "skim" a top layer off without ****ing the whole thing up?

Jambof3tornado
15 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Do you know if there is a lag from the time the skimming being done as to when it is considered safe to you use the pitch for other events such as concerts, boxing matches and so on?

Or should the new pitch been given say a period of 3 - 5 years of full maintainance and minimal usage before upping the usage. 

The pitch should be stripped back every season but time constraints, amongst other things( perhaps cost), meant the work was not carried out. 

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, RobboM said:

This skimming sounds like bullshit to me.The whole point of the hybrid is injecting fibres deep enough to form strong roots. Why, and indeed how, do you "skim" a top layer off without ****ing the whole thing up?

2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

The pitch should be stripped back every season but time constraints, amongst other things( perhaps cost), meant the work was not carried out. 

Do you have a source for your information? 

Fair do's Jambof3Tornado but to be honest if that is all it is then it can't take more than an hour or 2 to complete a pitch. Could have been lined up to get done by close of play on 4 May 🙂

Jambof3tornado
Just now, RobboM said:

Fair do's Jambof3Tornado but to be honest if that is all it is then it can't take more than an hour or 2 to complete a pitch. Could have been lined up to get done by close of play on 4 May 🙂

Depends because the machines likely get hired and every bugger wants them at roughly the same time.

6 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Thanks,

Still be interesting to know what timescales, lags are before pitch can be used for other events, if at all.

However, what is a valid point is that to make a capital investment, you need to be able to support the ongoing costs and not risk ending up making the situation worse.

8 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nothing to do with cost mate. As I say no point in spending this amount of money if your not going to follow the maintenance procedure. It's like buying a Diesel and sticking Unleaded in it. You know what happens next. Obviously the Concert was more important to the clubs Board of Directors. 

Jambof3tornado
5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Thanks,

Still be interesting to know what timescales, lags are before pitch can be used for other events, if at all.

However, what is a valid point is that to make a capital investment, you need to be able to support the ongoing costs and not risk ending up making the situation worse.

I think the bulk of the initial costs were more to do with the below the surface bits and the injection of the fibres. The actual grass part may be the smaller bit costs wise.

17 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Standard procedure every close season if you want the best out of the investment. Sadly we never followed this and now the pitch is suffering. 

pettigrewsstylist

Well, if true, mistakes get made.

Real question is ...what now?

People are funding this and answers like the ones outlined by Cruiky simply wont quench the masses.

Supect plan was say nothing and hope we fix it.

Like i say,, what next....

28 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

So a big mother effing scarifier that removes everything off the top layer apart from the 'artificial' strands.  

The natural grass starts to go through again and alien objects (let's say some moss) is stripped bare.

Some reseeding done and the alien objects below the surface that could damage the surface is managed on an ongoing basis.

Makes sense.

Edited by DETTY29

13 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Interesting video, I'd have thought it'd end up chopping off the top of the synthetic fibres but their purpose is below in the root zone so the above pitch part doesn't matter much?

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Nothing to do with cost mate. As I say no point in spending this amount of money if your not going to follow the maintenance procedure. It's like buying a Diesel and sticking Unleaded in it. You know what happens next. Obviously the Concert was more important to the clubs Board of Directors. 

I think the concert was important to sell tynecastle as a venue(not just for concerts) but hope that lessons have been learned. 

Jambof3tornado
4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

So a big mother effing scarifier that removes everything off the top layer apart from the 'articial' strands.  

The natural grass starts to go through again and alien objects (let's say some moss) is stripped bare.

Some reseeding done and the alien objects below the surface that could damage the surface is managed on an ongoing basis.

Makes sense.

Thatch I think is the organic bits they look to remove. Done at easter road its known to did up used needles and buckfast bottles!

I think the concert was important to sell tynecastle as a venue(not just for concerts) but hope that lessons have been learned. 

I wonder how much money it generated for the club. Guess we will never know tho. 

pettigrewsstylist
12 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Thatch I think is the organic bits they look to remove. Done at easter road its known to did up used needles and buckfast bottles!

And OConnors stash that he cant remember burying.

22 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

That is not “skimming” That is a procedure called hollow tinining where a machine like the one in the clip removes a core or plug (like removing the core from an apple) but on a large scale as above. 
The procedure improves ariation & reduces surface compaction & the holes are usually backfilled with a sand based top dressing which is brushed or dragged in to the holes with a mat.

can also be done by hand using a hand tiner & sweeping brush for small areas such as your average garden lawn.
Maybe our resident groundsperson can confirm if such a procedure would be carried out on our hybrid surface as part of the maintenance programme?

Jambof3tornado
22 minutes ago, sac said:

That is not “skimming” That is a procedure called hollow tinining where a machine like the one in the clip removes a core or plug (like removing the core from an apple) but on a large scale as above. 
The procedure improves ariation & reduces surface compaction & the holes are usually backfilled with a sand based top dressing which is brushed or dragged in to the holes with a mat.

can also be done by hand using a hand tiner & sweeping brush for small areas such as your average garden lawn.
Maybe our resident groundsperson can confirm if such a procedure would be carried out on our hybrid surface as part of the maintenance programme?

Its not removing cores mate. Its removing the top surface.

Edited by Jambof3tornado

16 minutes ago, Coco said:

Skimming as per non hybrid Middlesbrough

_90708820_e86a6250-b65b-4165-8b55-3a5447

So that would work on my own shitty lawns?

Skim off top layer, bit of sun, feed and water, rain and hey presto.

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

How can you skim a hybrid pitch without damaging the fiber

The same way you can scarify a lawn without taking up all the grass.....

Its magic!

1 hour ago, sac said:

With respect I do not think it is hollow tining as it doesn’t look like cores being ejected from the surface.

It looks more like scarifying where old grass is ripped from the surface leaving comb type marks.

Clarification from an expert would be good.

51 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Its not removing cores mate. Its removing the top surface.

Just seen this - that was what I thought it looked like.

45 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

How can you skim a hybrid pitch without damaging the fiber

It rips out the dead/old grass on the surface and leaves the fibres and root system in place - thus allowing new healthier grass to grow.

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

It rips out the dead/old grass on the surface and leaves the fibres and root system in place - thus allowing new healthier grass to grow.

Not according to that article about Wolves further up, they spend a six figure amount every year to get the big basturd machines in to restitch the fibres.

Wolves did a major renovation in 2010, and this time the work is purely on maintaining a high-quality playing surface – costing a six-figure sum.

“It’s in the hundreds of thousands. If you have a full construction with the undersoil heating and the drainage, you can be looking at £1million or more,” said Lumbard.

“We haven’t spent that as we did our major work back in 2010 – we had all drainage brand new, everything from the foundations to the grass on top.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not according to that article about Wolves further up, they spend a six figure amount every year to get the big basturd machines in to restitch the fibres.

Wolves did a major renovation in 2010, and this time the work is purely on maintaining a high-quality playing surface – costing a six-figure sum.

“It’s in the hundreds of thousands. If you have a full construction with the undersoil heating and the drainage, you can be looking at £1million or more,” said Lumbard.

“We haven’t spent that as we did our major work back in 2010 – we had all drainage brand new, everything from the foundations to the grass on top.

That’s not what it said in the article attached to your post - can you send the bit where it states they restitch the fibres every year - cheers.

Ex member of the SaS

Ok no lawn expert but I was under the impression the hybrid pitch has plastic fibers sticking out of the ground ( like a synthetic pitch but with real grass growing through between the plastic stalks) . Was it not mentioned when laid that they cut it once to a certain ( desired ) length and obviously the plastic would stay that long and the grass would grow to whatever length you then decide?