Hybrid Pitch

kila

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok no lawn expert but I was under the impression the hybrid pitch has plastic fibers sticking out of the ground ( like a synthetic pitch but with real grass growing through between the plastic stalks) . Was it not mentioned when laid that they cut it once to a certain ( desired ) length and obviously the plastic would stay that long and the grass would grow to whatever length you then decide?

The important part of the fibre is underneath the surface anchoring the grass roots as they twist round the fibre.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That’s not what it said in the article attached to your post - can you send the bit where it states they restitch the fibres every year - cheers.

Apologies, no I can't.

Edited by graygo

11 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok no lawn expert but I was under the impression the hybrid pitch has plastic fibers sticking out of the ground ( like a synthetic pitch but with real grass growing through between the plastic stalks) . Was it not mentioned when laid that they cut it once to a certain ( desired ) length and obviously the plastic would stay that long and the grass would grow to whatever length you then decide?

Correct.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not in the words you are looking for but they do.

On maintenance, Lumbard added: “The renovations take place in May to keep the playing surface in top shape.

“We just take the top layer off, you are only talking about six or seven millimetres, and then put it back. Job done.

“You treat the pitch exactly the same as you would with any other grass pitch.”

Thanks - I assume these renovations refer to skimming the pitch that we seemingly failed to do at the start of the season, and not restitching fibres every season as you suggest.

Edited by Thomaso

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Thanks - I assume these renovations refer to skimming the pitch that we seemingly failed to do at the start of the season.

Sorry, I've edited my post.

I think you may be right.

Just now, graygo said:

Sorry, I've edited my post.

I think you may be right.

👍

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

👍

Decent article here, it's a cricket pitch but talks about football pitched lasting 8-10 years before needing to be re-stitched which ties in with the Wolves timescale.

Also confirms what you say about removing a small layer, it would only remove a small amount of the stitching.

I am beginning to review my thoughts on the pitch and how we have maintained it.

https://nomadgroundsman.com/2019/05/21/help-from-a-hybrid/

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

Decent article here, it's a cricket pitch but talks about football pitched lasting 8-10 years before needing to be re-stitched which ties in with the Wolves timescale.

Also confirms what you say about removing a small layer, it would only remove a small amount of the stitching.

I am beginning to review my thoughts on the pitch and how we have maintained it.

https://nomadgroundsman.com/2019/05/21/help-from-a-hybrid/

Cheers mate very interesting. I know that the groundsman on here was fuming that they were getting the blame for the state of the pitch but it would be his job if he exposed the real reason!

If they could not carry out the proper maintenance because Budge  booked in a concert I can appreciate their anger.

9 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Cheers mate very interesting. I know that the groundsman on here was fuming that they were getting the blame for the state of the pitch but it would be his job if he exposed the real reason!

If they could not carry out the proper maintenance because Budge  booked in a concert I can appreciate their anger.

Im struggling with this whole “couldn’t do the maintenance cos Budge booked a concert thing”

Why has the concert stopped the maintenance?

Surely we can’t even consider hosting another concert on the pitch again during the season? In the off season perhaps but we can’t risk further damage to an expensive surface.

So in a nutshell:

Budge: We've had expert advice and the pitch will be fine hosting the concert

Groundkeeper: We couldn't do maintenance in time over the summer and Levein had the players training on it every week making it worse

🤷‍♂️

Edited by kila

11 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Im struggling with this whole “couldn’t do the maintenance cos Budge booked a concert thing”

Why has the concert stopped the maintenance?

No idea - you will need to ask the posters who raised this issue.

4 minutes ago, kila said:

So in a nutshell:

Groundkeeper: We couldn't do maintenance in time over the summer and Levein had the players training on it every week making it worse

🤷‍♂️

Even the groundsman is taking a chunk out of Levein!

9 minutes ago, kila said:

So in a nutshell:

🤷‍♂️

Budge: You said it would be fine for a concert but it's fecked now.

SiS: It was fine for the concert, you never mentioned playing football on it afterwards.

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

With respect I do not think it is hollow tining as it doesn’t look like cores being ejected from the surface.

It looks more like scarifying where old grass is ripped from the surface leaving comb type marks.

Clarification from an expert would be good.

Apparently so. Honesty regarding the situation would be helpful.

Edited by sac
Spelling

2 hours ago, kila said:

So in a nutshell:

🤷‍♂️

If I recall training on the main pitch started weekly Friday in the Championship season.  Budge wanted 'an in this together' attitude across the whole club and all employees of the club had lunch together on a Friday.

Now it could be that CL said that the Tynecastle pitch would be best fit then for the players instead of training at Riccarton, getting changed, being bused or driving to Tynie then home on the day before match day.  Simpler just base at Tynie on a Friday.

If true and apart from 2 cup ties against Hibs the formula worked for nearly two and a half seasons.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

If I recall training on the main pitch started weekly Friday in the Championship season.  Budge wanted 'an in this together' attitude across the whole club and all employees of the club had lunch together on a Friday.

Now it could be that CL said that the Tynecastle pitch would be best fit then for the players instead of training at Riccarton, getting changed, being bused or driving to Tynie then home on the day before match day.  Simpler just base at Tynie on a Friday.

If true and apart from 2 cup ties against Hibs the formula worked for nearly two and a half seasons.

From social media pictures the training at Tynecastle often seems to be on the back pitch rather than in the stadium. Possibly more when the pitch is heavy although not at all ITK.

2 hours ago, sac said:

Apparently so. Honesty regarding the situation would be helpful.

Indeed

WheatfieldWarrior
7 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Statement time !!!!

Is this why Uche cant stay up??

I think that's a personal matter for Uche and his partner. 😏

Coburg Hearts
11 hours ago, kila said:

Worse than the mosaic

I know I shouldn't have, but I laughed at that.

Coburg Hearts
6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

How can you skim a hybrid pitch without damaging the fiber

I'm completely lost with all this technical jargon. 

Coburg Hearts

What I'm confused about is the timescale mentioned on a previous post. The Concert was held in August, so the maintenance, if required,  could have been carried out from late may up until shortly before the season started.

I realise that is probably too simplistic, though.

Edited by Coburg Hearts

6 hours ago, Coburg Hearts said:

What I'm confused about is the timescale mentioned on a previous post. The Concert was held in August, so the maintenance, if required,  could have been carried out from late may up until shortly before the season started.

I realise that is probably too simplistic, though.

The last home game of the season had been 4 May and any pre season maintenance would have to be complete with a view to hosting the first home match of the current season on 12 July. How does hosting a concert nearly a month into the season prevent that maintenance going ahead? Doesn't sound an issue to me.

12 hours ago, graygo said:

Budge: You said it would be fine for a concert but it's fecked now.

SiS: It was fine for the concert, you never mentioned playing football on it afterwards.

I haven’t  seen any football being played on it since long before the concert 🙄🙄

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

The last home game of the season had been 4 May and any pre season maintenance would have to be complete with a view to hosting the first home match of the current season on 12 July. How does hosting a concert nearly a month into the season prevent that maintenance going ahead? Doesn't sound an issue to me.

If Ann had given a straightforward answer at the AGM it would have avoided a lot of speculation. Remember when she used to be praised for open-ness and transparency?

I think one of groundspeople moles suggested it would have been a waste of time to do the skimming or whatever because of the concert. Maybe the pitch could have coped with a match but not with a bloody great stage over half the pitch for days on end.

Edited by Francis Albert

Jambof3tornado
4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Another day of i8's slavering posts

Ignore is a wonderful function.

Saves me getting my bottom smacked by the mods.

The Treasurer

I actually find i8 quite entertaining.

It must take some effort to consistently keep up that level of utter pish

Edited by The Treasurer

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

I actually find i8 quite entertaining

A bit like watching Donald Trump. I love his rants and put downs. Sheer comedy gold. You know he’s making a fool of himself and he’s the only one that can’t see it. That’s what gives it the entertainment value. At least i8 sometimes has a valid point to his ramblings 

40 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I haven’t  seen any football being played on it since long before the concert 🙄🙄

That's not fair, Ross County were decent. 😏

27 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

If Ann had given a straightforward answer at the AGM it would have avoided a lot of speculation. Remember when she used to be praised for open-ness and transparency?

I think one of groundspeople moles suggested it would have been a waste of time to do the skimming or whatever because of the concert. Maybe the pitch could have coped with a match but not with a bloody great stage over half the pitch for days on end.

I thought about going to look for that post but then I realised that we have an 85 page thread on the pitch. 🤔

Francis Albert
49 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Another day at Budge's Hearts.

And another day of some posters whistling a happy tune as the waves wash over the decks of the sinking ship.

MarkDevriesScores4

The most expensively appalling pitch in Scottish Football. 

Motherwell spend a tenth of the cost and have the best pitch in the league. 

No more concerts, no more events, no more training on the pitch.

Budge's lack on consideration for what she calls 'the footballing side of the business" is staggering. It took her 5 years to even glance at it and now she has been focusing on it since the summer and we are rock bottom with a pitch, squad, scouts and medical team not fit for purpose.  At least the birds team is healthy tho.

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I thought about going to look for that post but then I realised that we have an 85 page thread on the pitch. 🤔

Sweep sweep!

On 10/01/2020 at 22:53, 18grantmc74 said:

Because there was a concert so would have been a waste of money. 

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Feel free to find it. 🤷🏼‍♂️😄

Page 79 right in  the middle of your argument with Phil dunphy

Bazzas right boot

Should have got another concert squeezed in over the break. 

More money for our January war chest. 

Opportunity missed. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Budge's lack on consideration for what she calls 'the footballing side of the business" is staggering. It took her 5 years to even glance at it and now she has been focusing on it since the summer and we are rock bottom with a pitch, squad, scouts and medical team not fit for purpose.  At least the birds team is healthy tho.

Tbf you were one of the first to be unhappy when-

We were third

Had the old stand 

Nae Injuries 

Shite pitch

No birds team. 

Almost seems  like no matter what you are unhappy. 

🤔

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Should have got another concert squeezed in over the break. 

More money for our January war chest. 

Opportunity missed. 

We could have 2 and maybe make enough to fix the pitch.

We would obviously need to charge for it next time.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, graygo said:

We could have 2 and maybe make enough to fix the pitch.

We would obviously need to charge for it next time.

Tbh, there are what 18/19 days. 

If we were away in the sc, that's another 3/4.

I reckon one ever other day. 

:munny:

Looking at it, I think the soil layer depth isn't deep enough. Due to this and the undersoil heating drying out the soil at the bottom, the roots aren't able to take hold properly and the grass isn't recovering, especially with the shorter daylight as well. 

I can see the whole thing being dug up and returfed in the summer. 

26 minutes ago, Ak47 said:

Page 79 right in  the middle of your argument with Phil Dunphy  

Well done. I’ll go and have a look. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Looking at it, I think the soil layer depth isn't deep enough. Due to this and the undersoil heating drying out the soil at the bottom, the roots aren't able to take hold properly and the grass isn't recovering, especially with the shorter daylight as well. 

I can see the whole thing being dug up and returfed in the summer. 

How did it survive a year ago?

It is either incompetence by the groundkeepers or Budge's fault for not allowing key maintenance in the summer because of the concert.

I don't know who to believe, there is clearly lies being told by someone in the club...

29 minutes ago, Ak47 said:

Is your name McCabe???

1 minute ago, kila said:

How did it survive a year ago?

It is either incompetence by the groundkeepers or Budge's fault for not allowing key maintenance in the summer because of the concert.

I don't know who to believe, there is clearly lies being told by someone in the club...

It has to be something to do with the soil underneath. 

I can't see how a concert in one part of the pitch can cause the grass not to grow in the corners at the opposite side of the pitch. 

And grass grows anywhere, as long as it has light and water, it absolutely has to be something to do with what's happening underneath. 

35 minutes ago, Ak47 said:

It was page 80 but the groundsman guy does indeed confirm it. If they ignored professional advice, or didn’t get any, on that then that’s a very poor decision.