Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

58 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I feel like you're missing the point of what he's saying, just that he thinks Gordon will move one way and McLaughlin the other

He should make himself understood better then and not use the word exchange (an act of giving one thing and receiving another (especially of the same kind) in return)

McLoughlin won't be ours to 'exchange' with anyone at the end of the season. CG is under contract with Celtic until 2020 so would cost us money unless both Celtic and him agreed to a parting of the ways.

Very unlikely to happen anyway

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Bridge of Djoum

46 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

God No.

Few players I hate more than that rat ****. 

He would however, I believe, make a pub quiz question - Who is the only player to represent both sides the OF and both Edinburgh clubs?

Still. Would give me the dry boak seeing him in a Hearts jersey. 

Cruyff Turn

I don't like Gordon. His kickings improved but he can be overly casual and he's still shit feart of crosses and commanding his box, he's also injury prone. 

I'd take Jon or McGregor over him everytime. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I don't like Gordon. His kickings improved but he can be overly casual and he's still shit feart of crosses and commanding his box, he's also injury prone. 

Gordon is a brilliant keeper. I've seen others say the same and I totally disagree. If Celtic want rid of him that's a mistake and we should act, same as we should have with the likes of McGeogh and McGinn a while ago. Outside the OF there's no reason we can't be getting these players

22 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Gordon is a brilliant keeper. I've seen others say the same and I totally disagree. If Celtic want rid of him that's a mistake and we should act, same as we should have with the likes of McGeogh and McGinn a while ago. Outside the OF there's no reason we can't be getting these players

Maybe bar cash

2 hours ago, Musemic said:

McLoughlin is OUT OF CONTRACT in the summer so Celtic can sign him as and when they choose.

I didnt say they couldnt did I? Point of the rumour is if Jon goes there he will want guarantees about being first choice otherwise he is just taking the money and giving up on his career. Bit young for a keeper to give up especially having just broken into national squad.  If he is given them then Gordon will be off. Only team he is likely to play for after Celtic is us. 

Sorry for passing on what I had heard. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I feel like you're missing the point of what he's saying, just that he thinks Gordon will move one way and McLaughlin the other

Exactly 

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

So in the space of a season Celtic will have gone from knocking back £4m (?) from Chelsea to letting CG go for free?

Cannot see it.  Although he is not owned by Celtic Bain is the more likely to end up at Tynecastle.

£4m for Gordon is as much pie in the sky as £7-8m for Morelos. Daily Record rubbish. Didnt think anyone but OF fans believed anything printed in it. 

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

Would be a great signing, but it is time we bought our own left back.

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Loans are not ideal but, if we had a player as good as Mitchell on our books he would probably be sold in the January window anyway. We may as well have Mitchell for one season than Joe Bloggs for 5 months?

4 or 5 loan players is the new reality 

Everyone doing it now and a symptom of our place in the food chain including bigger clubs having much bigger squads. 

51 minutes ago, Musemic said:

He should make himself understood better then and not use the word exchange (an act of giving one thing and receiving another (especially of the same kind) in return)

McLoughlin won't be ours to 'exchange' with anyone at the end of the season. CG is under contract with Celtic until 2020 so would cost us money unless both Celtic and him agreed to a parting of the ways.

Very unlikely to happen anyway

Technically correct however if it happens I don’t think it will be incorrect to say that the clubs exchanged keepers. If Brenda wants Jon there is clearly no future for Gordon at Celtic. Wouldn’t surprise me if some sort of deal between Hearts and Celtic has been negotiated. In  any case i did say it was a rumour I had heard. Sorry again for passing on what I heard

51 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:jj_facepalm: 

LarrysRightFoot
11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

£4m for Gordon is as much pie in the sky as £7-8m for Morelos. Daily Record rubbish. Didnt think anyone but OF fans believed anything printed in it. 

Ok maybe but it was accepted that Chelsea made an approach for him.

That led to him signing a contract extension - likely on better money.

And now they are just going to release him?

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Technically correct however if it happens I don’t think it will be incorrect to say that the clubs exchanged keepers. If Brenda wants Jon there is clearly no future for Gordon at Celtic. Wouldn’t surprise me if some sort of deal between Hearts and Celtic has been negotiated. In  any case i did say it was a rumour I had heard. Sorry again for passing on what I heard

If Celtic want McLaughlin it could be as second choice. 

6 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I was just passing on a rumour I heard. Didn’t say it was gospel. Won’t be so silly again. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

I was just passing on a rumour I heard. Didn’t say it was gospel. Won’t be so silly again. 

Not sure that it's beyond realms of possibility. I would question whether Celtic see CG as the answer for much longer. I would prefer McLaughlin, but I would prefer McLaughlin over McGregor also 

In all likelihood I think CG will be at Celtic next year with Bain as back up and De Vries away 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Celtic want McLaughlin it could be as second choice. 

Could be but I think he has more ambition than that. Celtic already have a no2 with EPL experience and they can sign Bain for peanuts. Not sure I see the point of them having two Scotland squad keepers other than just to make sure their rivals don’t have them which has been their tactics for decades. If they want Jon then I think it’s either the end for Gordon or they want  to stop Rangers signing him. 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Mitchell for another season, whilst Bobby Burns gets himself ready

Will be interesting to see if Quitongo gets retained 

LarrysRightFoot
15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m only raising what I think are reasonable questions about any possible deal. 

I always appreciate people sharing snippets they hear but it’d be wrong if we took them all as done deals.

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’m only raising what I think are reasonable questions about any possible deal. 

I always appreciate people sharing snippets they hear but it’d be wrong if we took them all as done deals.

Doubt that Gordon would move away from Scotland again as he is settled back up here. That makes any Chelsea interest immaterial, even if there was any. At his stage of career playing is all that matters. A pay-off from Celtic of even one-third of his remaining deal plus a 3 year contract from us would be enough I’d imagine especially if he knows he will play every week. 

Its a very similar situation to Berra and Naismith and in the end the players know that if they want out of their current contracts they have to take a hit financially. Fortunately for all three I mentioned they have made serious money in their careers to date so taking a bit of a hit to lengthen their first team careers isn’t that tough a call. You can add several other Scottish players to the same mix at the moment. Adam, Hutton, McGregor, McArthur et al. As soon as they know they are out of favour they will want out  especially if they intend to return up here after their playing days are over. Lafferty didn’t come out Hearts for the money. He came here because  his wife wanted back to Scotland. Suspect Naismith in exactly the same boat. Berra came back for his daughter. Money isn’t the driver with guys who have played in England until their early 30’s. 

I’d guess if Jon’s Mrs wants back down south, Celtic is unlikely. 

Id take Craig back in a heartbeat. Fantastic to have another international who came through at Hearts mentoring the young lads. 

I’d also love to see a tradition started where our best players come back after their big move. 

Dr Funk coming back after ten years in the prem for example. 

2 hours ago, Spencer said:

Will be interesting to see if Quitongo gets retained 

In the few games I've saw him play in the development league he's not looked that great

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Lots of teams do this when they want rid, hopefully Norwich do with Naismith and he cost them about  £8m 3 years ago.:mellow:.

If they don't want Gordon they will be open, I'd guess. If they do want him, then no deal.

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Lafferty didn’t come out Hearts for the money. He came here because  his wife wanted back to Scotland. Suspect Naismith in exactly the same boat. Berra came back for his daughter. 

Naismith’s Mrs is setting up a new business in Scotland, hence his enthusiasm for a move back here.

3 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Naismith’s Mrs is setting up a new business in Scotland, hence his enthusiasm for a move back here.

Cowie didnt come back for the money. Could still have been playing for a Championship club down south. Had several offers. Not sure how people don’t get this.  

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Cowie didnt come back for the money. Could still have been playing for a Championship club down south. Had several offers. Not sure how people don’t get this.  

They do, but a couple of total bangers went ba-deep with the ‘he’s shite’ chat when we signed him, and it was too late for them to back down. :thumbsup:

Likewise Aaron Hughes. Could it be that CL isn’t quite the laughing stock popular media would have us believe? But is instead able to convince seasoned, quality pros that the project ongoing at Hearts is worth buying into. In all of Hughes, Cowie, Berra, Naismith we have decent hardworking pros who could be an asset to the club long term bringing on youth with real tangible experience of how hard work and dedication can help make it in the modern game

Just now, Bez said:

They do, but a couple of total bangers went ba-deep with the ‘he’s shite’ chat when we signed him, and it was too late for them to back down. :thumbsup:

Sadly true. 

McGregor,

Hutton, Berra, Souter, Wallace

Adam, McArthur, Adao,Cowie

Naismith, Lafferty, 

lots of youngsters on the bench 

Not suggesting for a minute we should/could sign them all but where would that team finish next season? 

heartsfc_fan
35 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Sadly true. 

McGregor,

Naismith, Lafferty, 

Not suggesting for a minute we should/could sign them all but where would that team finish next season? 

2nd or 3rd if everyone stays fit

siegementality
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Sadly true. 

McGregor,

Naismith, Lafferty, 

In A & E.

Finlay James
6 hours ago, cocobeab said:

Likewise Aaron Hughes. Could it be that CL isn’t quite the laughing stock popular media would have us believe? But is instead able to convince seasoned, quality pros that the project ongoing at Hearts is worth buying into. In all of Hughes, Cowie, Berra, Naismith we have decent hardworking pros who could be an asset to the club long term bringing on youth with real tangible experience of how hard work and dedication can help make it in the modern game

You've hit the nail on the head with this post.  The media in Scotland pay no attention to us so therefore have no clue the depth behind what Levein is implementing at Hearts.  All they see is the here and now but sadly they are not alone and some of our own fans also fall into this category.

I spoke with Don Cowie for ages prior to the St J game at Murrayfield and he is in no doubt as to how special the set up at Hearts will be in 5-10 years and he wanted to be part of helping to put that in place.  We are very much in transition and what we are doing is setting a culture of playing the right way and embedding this in the mindset of everyone within the club (similar to what you see at great clubs who are continually successful).  

Folk look at Levein as a guy who played a 4-6-0 formation or who won nothing in his career.  He is never going to be a 'plaster over a broken leg' type of manager as he believes in  long term projects that bring lasting success.  He partly put this in place at Leicester and more so at Dundee Utd and we know the success he had there in a relatively short space of time.  Thanks to Ann Budge, we have him at Hearts and thankfully she has the foresight to realize rhat sacking him because we got knocked the cup or drew a game away from home detracts from the bigger picture.  In essence, the guys we are attracting right now would not be here if it weren't for Craig Levein. 

7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Sadly true. 

McGregor,

Naismith, Lafferty, 

Hutton, Adam - no thanks. Cowie is useless out wide and there’s not a snowball’s chance in Hell that McArthur will be near us next year.

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, jambo1961 said:

You have to laugh in the face of McArthur  will sign posters

I posted in January that a Rangers supporter fully expected him to make his Rangers "dream move".

I pointed out, he is playing regular EPL football and Rangers don't even have a pot to piss in, anyway.

A_A wehatethehibs

McArthur would absolutely sign to play in the SPL without any shadow of a doubt. 

For Rangers.

Which is what I said in my original post when I brought it up that he is out of contract.

But tbf there’s every chance he’ll get an extension either way relegation or not, or sign for one of the promoted clubs eg. Wolves I think would suit him very well with the football they play, they’ll want to get a few EPL experienced players 

1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

You've hit the nail on the head with this post.  The media in Scotland pay no attention to us so therefore have no clue the depth behind what Levein is implementing at Hearts.  All they see is the here and now but sadly they are not alone and some of our own fans also fall into this category.

I spoke with Don Cowie for ages prior to the St J game at Murrayfield and he is in no doubt as to how special the set up at Hearts will be in 5-10 years and he wanted to be part of helping to put that in place.  We are very much in transition and what we are doing is setting a culture of playing the right way and embedding this in the mindset of everyone within the club (similar to what you see at great clubs who are continually successful).  

Folk look at Levein as a guy who played a 4-6-0 formation or who won nothing in his career.  He is never going to be a 'plaster over a broken leg' type of manager as he believes in  long term projects that bring lasting success.  He partly put this in place at Leicester and more so at Dundee Utd and we know the success he had there in a relatively short space of time.  Thanks to Ann Budge, we have him at Hearts and thankfully she has the foresight to realize rhat sacking him because we got knocked the cup or drew a game away from home detracts from the bigger picture.  In essence, the guys we are attracting right now would not be here if it weren't for Craig Levein. 

Off topic, but I completely agree with this. However, it also explains why I think Craig Levein is better for the club in a Director of Football/Academy Director type role. 

A_A wehatethehibs
29 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I posted in January that a Rangers supporter fully expected him to make his Rangers "dream move".

I pointed out, he is playing regular EPL football and Rangers don't even have a pot to piss in, anyway.

He is playing regular football for a team that gets beat or scraps for draws most weeks. He’s never won a medal in his career, when they get to 30 players start to think about medals and want to play for a team that wins a game for a change. He played with Graham Dorans at a Rangers boys club, I would think if Rangers offered he would definitely sign. 

Edit: Wigan FA cup win! How did I forget ? the point stands, he’s past the pinnacle

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Finlay James
10 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Off topic, but I completely agree with this. However, it also explains why I think Craig Levein is better for the club in a Director of Football/Academy Director type role. 

I think Craig Levein agrees with you but in the short term, we probably needed him to stabilize the 1st team and get us in a state to handover to whoever comes in next 

1 hour ago, blairdin said:

You and Finlay James having a reasoned , fact based , logical discussion ! Thank you 

It will never last though . Probably just a bit early for the usual suspects to start their nonsense 

1 hour ago, Jenks said:

I think you are a spy for the Chinese.

Not another chow mein attack surely ?!

12 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Sadly true. 

McGregor,

Naismith, Lafferty, 

Dads Army

John Findlay

Levein himself said at the POTY that you can do all the coaching you like but there is no substitute for an experienced professionals talking an inexperienced one through a game. He cited Sandy Jardine doing it with himself and both Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark with Robbo. John Souttar wasn't voted the young player of the year without reason. He humbly acknowledged the debt he owed both Berra and Hughes. Although not playing. Martiin was giving a big thumbs up from Harry Cochrane. As I keep repeating the building blocks are being put into place and they will reap reward. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Absence of youngsters and we beat Aberdeen 2-0. Coincidence? 

Godihno Souttar Randall and even Milinkovic are young. Absence of teenagers 

johnking123

We need that mix if youth and experience. Few older heads in the team with young lads doing the grafting for them and learning at the same time from the old pro's. Think we will get a midfielder in the old pro category.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

We need that mix if youth and experience. Few older heads in the team with young lads doing the grafting for them and learning at the same time from the old pro's. Think we will get a midfielder in the old pro category.

Having a few in the 24-28 range would be good, but the better ones are in their prime and therefore harder to come by. If we could a couple of these into the midfield area I reckon we are ready to improve away from home and therefore become competiive