Levein *POLL*

davemclaren

Levein - stay or go poll  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Should Craig go before new season or be allowed to start the new season?

• Craig should not be manager for next season
    • Craig should be manager at the start of the new season

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/03/18 at 12:01

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Ideally we would have had a replacement but I think we gambled we could find one after getting him off the books.

People would have complained about having another dud signing for another couple of years otherwise.  Club is damned either way by people on here.

Levein was quoted in early November saying we were focusing on a striker in the window, didnt get one. We freed up wages from Walker/Isma/Stockton/Gryzelak and Novak in January, along with cash for two of those players. We probably should’ve signed Maclaren who has done well for Hibs as we were interested first.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

• frankblack

12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are still making up figures and making a fool of yourself again.

Unless you know the terms of his deal, which I expect is confidential, you are making unqualified guesses.

Frank - I apologise for making a Roger Hunt of myself pal. I'll continue to watch you and see how the esteemed do it 

You are a soldier my old pal 

People genuinely think we're paying £10k a week for someone? 

Where is this figure coming from? We're still ****ing skint. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Spencer said:

Around 20% of his wedge presumably 

No loan fee? 

Don’t think so, thats what Norwich wanted to be paid apparently. I think he will be valuable in the games left if Levein let’s him play further forward of course.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Don’t think so, thats what Norwich wanted to be paid apparently. I think he will be valuable in the games left if Levein let’s him play further forward of course.

Looked well off the pace on Friday. Deployed far too withdrawn though to be properly effective by a manager more intent on not losing rather than looking to win 

Maiden Gorgie
2 minutes ago, The Brow said:

There is no danger we are payng anywhere near that :lol:

Pasquale for King
Just now, The Brow said:

How much do you think Norwich would take from the £50k they’re paying him? The deal was well advertised at the time. We are probably paying 20-25% of the other loanees wages too.

We freed up five wages and made £700k in January.

Just now, Maiden Gorgie said:

He's on £50k a week. You think we paying him a couple of hundred a week 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Looked well off the pace on Friday. Deployed far too withdrawn though to be properly effective by a manager more intent on not losing rather than looking to win 

Definitely, his best position has always been coming in off the left wing but has only played there once against Hibs. His form has faded the more he’s played in this negative team. 

Maiden Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Spencer said:

We'll be paying 10% of that IMO. Budge wouldn't allow any more. Not ITK but would go against the model she is trying to build at Hearts. Norwich will be paying the vast majority of his wages

Edited by Maiden Gorgie

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

We'll be paying 10% of that IMO. Budge wouldn't allow any more. Not ITK but would go against the model she is trying to build at Hearts. Norwich will be paying the vast majority of his wages

£40k a week is a fair chunk.

Levein couldnt help being negative when we signed him. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/permanent-hearts-deal-steven-naismith-11877940

F445FFDF-87C1-4DD5-A6B3-7E8A139779E9.png

You know yer times up when the hobos are praying that you keep yer job 

We have been on the slide for years and there's been one constant during that time yet he's still pulling the strings 

The sad thing is there's no chance of him jacking in and even less chance of AB sacking him. It's going to get a lot lot worse before he is anywhere close to being out the building completely which is probably why he is getting the support of the majority of the fans the now 

It's just a sad state of affairs and if anyone thinks that CL is suddenly going to change is ways and play modern attacking fitbaw they are in for a shock. 

One because he doesn't have a clue how too and two he is one of the most stubborn egotistical manager in football today 

Ps I voted for him to go now 

Edited by Gazbo

54 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Theres a helluva a lot of swing between £10k and a couple hundred. 

I would genuinely be astounded if we are paying north of £5k for him. Its Hearts, we aren't rich. 

You do seem prone to hyperbole and OTT reactions. Chill out and have a cup of tea. 

1 minute ago, The Brow said:

Theres a helluva a lot of swing between £10k and a couple hundred. 

I would genuinely be astounded if we are paying north of £5k for him. Its Hearts, we aren't rich. 

You do seem prone to hyperbole and OTT reactions. Chill out and have a cup of tea. 

It's fairly well known that we are paying 10k per week and I dread to think how much that will end in pounds for goals and I for one thought that he was brought here to score goals not to be stuck in midfield 

4 minutes ago, Gazbo said:

It's fairly well known that we are paying 10k per week and I dread to think how much that will end in pounds for goals and I for one thought that he was brought here to score goals not to be stuck in midfield 

I'll take your word for it them. 

Absolute bampot wages, no where near worth that level of 'investment'  

Just now, The Brow said:

I'll take your word for it them. 

Absolute bampot wages, no where near worth that level of 'investment'  

I'm just listening to the word on the street mate but it's been quoted by a few, even if he's on half that it's been a total waste 

22 minutes ago, Gazbo said:

You know yer times up when the hobos are praying that you keep yer job 

We have been on the slide for years and there's been one constant during that time yet he's still pulling the strings 

The sad thing is there's no chance of him jacking in and even less chance of AB sacking him. It's going to get a lot lot worse before he is anywhere close to being out the building completely which is probably why he is getting the support of the majority of the fans the now 

It's just a sad state of affairs and if anyone thinks that CL is suddenly going to change is ways and play modern attacking fitbaw they are in for a shock. 

One because he doesn't have a clue how too and two he is one of the most stubborn egotistical manager in football today 

Ps I voted for him to go now 

spot on mate. He only receives the backing because he was a great former player. He is as bad as Cathro. I wish he'd f off now, the last thing I want him to do is blow the season ticket money on 3 more defensive midfielders, an unfit wingers. Tynecastle is a boring place when it should be thriving. But he is Budge's golden boy, and we are stuck with him for a long long time in my opinion.

It should have been ten
2 hours ago, ycj said:

GTF. Football is horrific. We should be a club thriving , we have no structure and have gone back years.

Very apt having Hugh Burns as your profile pic then :thumbsup:

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, Beats said:

He would have been on peanuts. 

Stockton would have been a better option than Henderson that's for sure. Not a slur against him but he clearly isn't ready. 

Stockton was woeful, waste of a wage and we defo don't miss him.

Edited by It should have been ten

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

It is largely the same handful of "characters" from the other thread, copying and pasting their previous posts over here.

At the end of the day the board won't give a toss what people post over here - they won't read it.  Someday they will realise they are wasting their time and energy.

:spoton:

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They thought they were signing a striker but it fell thru at the last minute isthe general consensus. I don’t think we miss Stockton at all anyway. 

I don't know how many times this point has been made but it doesn't matter how often things are explained keeps the boo-his brigade keep going back to it.  

6 hours ago, Spencer said:

£5k a week by us, 5k a week by the player himself. 

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, frankblack said:

It is largely the same handful of "characters" from the other thread, copying and pasting their previous posts over here.

At the end of the day the board won't give a toss what people post over here - they won't read it.  Someday they will realise they are wasting their time and energy.

Doesnt matter which side of the fence you are on, every thread is the same 10 posters. 

9 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I might have preferred the options dave if one of them was "stay, but change the manner in which we play football". I think the truth is that having been given a three year deal we have possibly created a position where we really don't want to waste cash on removing Craig as manager, because his existing deal would involve him having to be given a pay off which would involve money that could be better used elsewhere. I see a very basic core of a team, i.e Jon McLaughlin, John Souttar, Christophe Berra, Steven Naismith and Kyle Lafferty which has a lot of scope for building around. I would probably add Harry Cochrane and Adao to that. The main problem for me is that we don't make sufficient use of the two men up front, it does in effect create the vision of signing two forwards who can get us goals, but we then play in a way that they don't get the service needed to get goals. I think Lafferty has done well to rack up the number of goals he has done so far this season. That really just leaves the full back positions and two attack minded midfield positions. I know there are differing opinions  on this board but I've actually liked what I've seen of Michael Smith, but I do feel a bit sorry for him as he seems to be the person who is moved about constantly rather than left to continue at right back and grow a working relationship with the two centre backs. Is it possible we could get Man United to give us Mitchell back again, if yes then I honestly think we have the basis of a back 4 in Smith, Berra Souttar and Mitchell to build on. With Naismith and Lafferty up front, Adao sitting in front of the back 4 we then have three positions to fill, all in the middle of the park. and that has been an area we have been weak in for a little while now.  Who is available, who can we afford, are there scouts out looking, Christ knows. Do I think it is fair to throw Cochrane in as a must start rather than give him time to develop further, no, although I do see a very good player in there.  But if we can get the right players in, put less pressure on the kids to have to succeed at very young ages, and place the focus on trying to win football games, the future isn't necessarily shit. In saying all that I don't think the fan base will put up with attempts to not lose games which go wrong rather than getting to watch attempts to win games. So as I say I'd have preferred if the other option to Levein leaving was Levein staying as long as the manner of approaching games were to change. In terms of actually voting I've gone for stay, as along with the other things needing financial input I'd prefer us not to have to divert some funds into a pay off package.

I hear what you are saying, I think all Hearts fans hope Levein can change if left in charge but I would ask if there is anything you have seen on the pitch or in signings in the last 7months that gives you/us a glimour of hope that he will change? The one game change was forced upon him we beat Celtic.......nothing was learned.

You say you voted stay as it would cost us to get rid, I would ask if it will cost us to keep him.

Greedy_Jambo
7 hours ago, The Brow said:

7 hours ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

Someone on radio Scotland said we are paying 8K a week for Naismith.

Not facts but more reliable than jkb I would say.

ford donald
8 minutes ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

Someone on radio Scotland said we are paying 8K a week for Naismith.

Not facts but more reliable than jkb I would say.

We cannot afford 8k a week.

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, ford donald said:

We cannot afford 8k a week.

For half a season that is less than £200K.

I think we can.

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, redm said:

Why 50 games when a good chunk aren’t Levein’s? I think that’s a perfectly reasonable question to ask when we’re talking stats. You tried to compare a stat out of 50 for us and stats just from this season for everyone else. It didn’t make any sense. I don’t know why you’re getting shirty either. 

I don’t think you could produce any stats that make this season palatable. 

Goals conceded perhaps, but even that run of games gained us zero ground on the teams above us. 

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely, his best position has always been coming in off the left wing but has only played there once against Hibs. His form has faded the more he’s played in this negative team. 

This obviously made it impossible for him to pass the ball to a Hearts player.

I like him and I think he’s made a difference but he was utter guff on Friday and that wasn’t down to the manager 

8 hours ago, Spencer said:

Around 20% of his wedge presumably 

No loan fee? 

Jus a loan fee. He is still a Norwich employee and on their payroll. I heard the loan fee was £150k. Find out for sure in December

Edited by soonbe110

25 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Goals conceded perhaps, but even that run of games gained us zero ground on the teams above us. 

I think the injury situation has to be considered, and I think there has clearly been some cutbacks in the playing budget due to the main stand, leaving us woefully short of cover.

First half of the season, Smith-Brown was supposed to be a major player for us at left back.  He lasted about 2 cup games and that was that.

We turned around the slump we were in from Cathro and then as soon as we got going we lost Djoum and Mitchell, and that is us knackered.  We have resorted to playing a number of youngsters that just aren't ready yet, and teams have bullied us in midfield.

The season is over, lets get a win on Saturday to cement the top 6 place and write the rest off.

I am giving Levein until the Autumn to build a better team, but if not my patience will be exhausted.

7 hours ago, Gazbo said:

Norwich are getting 10k a week. Hearts are paying 5k and Naismith is paying 5k. This was widely reported at the time so no idea why it has become a big issue now, in as Levein poll thread. Nice to see the vocal minority all over this thread

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Norwich are getting 10k a week. Hearts are paying 5k and Naismith is paying 5k. This was widely reported at the time so no idea why it has become a big issue now, in as Levein poll thread. Nice to see the vocal minority all over this thread

Got a source for that mate? I remember a lot of speculation but no confirmed figures

8 hours ago, redm said:

Far from it. I have much higher expectations for next season. Takes time to build these things. I’m not going anywhere so I can live with a failed experiment and a cruddy season. We are now building a side with quality throughout so it’ll be interesting to see where it goes.

Also, I’m less fussed about the entertainment value of the football than I am about putting together a team that can win and perform consistently. Entertainment would be a bonus of course but last time I remember being properly entertained it was Burley era (we can’t really count Championship) so I’m not keen on setting myself up for predictable disappointment on that front either. 

I'm the total opposit, i paying my money, I hope that I am going to find the product entertaining, i know its not going to happen every week as thats football, the problem is its not really happening at all. Its a costly day out for me and as i get older I start to wonder if I would be better looking for something else to waste my cash on because at present I feel that my cash is being wasted

Yeah at times you get Brief flashes from a player or the team but its usually the same defensive boring football.

I never once thought that the CL out brigade would be the majority, too many folks just do not care, thats not a slur on anyone, i have posted before that i have the upmost respect for fans who can blindly follow the team. What worries me and should worry every fan is that if the poll reflects even 10% (currently at 24 i think) of season tickets holders who do not renew then thats a huge financial hit on the club.

I do not want CL to fail, but i have seen nothing to make me think we are in fact progressing and that worries me.

MJ

Escobar PHM

Without speculating, because I have no idea and nor does anyone else I assume, isn't it more normal for a loan these days for it to be paid as a lump sum fee rather than a percentage of the weekly wage ?

Ive no idea what ballpark we're in for a fee for a short term loan for a player for 14 weeks who cost his club millions and drains them of thousands per week whilst not playing for them. Whatever it was, it was an unnecessary expense and a waste of money if we have no chance of signing him full time.

Put a very good player into a poorly performing team like ours, and especially if your not setting up everything to play to his strengths, and he'll struggle to make an impact.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Nookie Bear
21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think the injury situation has to be considered, and I think there has clearly been some cutbacks in the playing budget due to the main stand, leaving us woefully short of cover.

First half of the season, Smith-Brown was supposed to be a major player for us at left back.  He lasted about 2 cup games and that was that.

We turned around the slump we were in from Cathro and then as soon as we got going we lost Djoum and Mitchell, and that is us knackered.  We have resorted to playing a number of youngsters that just aren't ready yet, and teams have bullied us in midfield.

The season is over, lets get a win on Saturday to cement the top 6 place and write the rest off.

I am giving Levein until the Autumn to build a better team, but if not my patience will be exhausted.

The injury situation is the only reason i am accepting of Levein getting the summer. The left-back situation is almost comical.

7 hours ago, Gazbo said:

Levein likes safety in numbers in the middle of the park.  Very few ever get ahead of the ball from deep lying position. Probably the best at is Callachan but there are evidently difficiencies in his game 

Not sure if I would be looking to throw some proper wedge at Naismith come the summer. I had hoped for more so far tbh 

13 hours ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

Are you having a giraffe? Have you seen the money we've been putting out for players? Who else could of afford Lafferty and Naismith?  (other than the old firm) We paid around £180,000 for Goncalves....

Aye, we don't have enough money to compete right enough.  

How much has Steve Clarke spent at Kilmarnock? A team that were destined for relegation and administration. 

Not quite sure what you are saying here?

Are you suggesting that Steve Clarke is the answer?  Kilmarnock and Steve Clarke have presided over 3 defeats to Aberdeen this season, including a home cup tie last night.  How many have we had?

Just asking.....

• redm changed the title to Levein *POLL*
Escobar PHM
18 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Levein likes safety in numbers in the middle of the park.  Very few ever get ahead of the ball from deep lying position. Probably the best at is Callachan but there are evidently difficiencies in his game 

Not sure if I would be looking to throw some proper wedge at Naismith come the summer. I had hoped for more so far tbh 

I like Naismith. I like his effort and his leadership on the pitch especially and we badly need players like that because we've got very few, only one other I can think of in fact (Berra)

But his actual productivity has been minimal. That's because we're not using him correctly. To me he should be played 'in the hole' or off the striker, or as a second striker, however you want to define that. He should be on the end of things rather than generating things himself. Its no surprise really because our midfield is almost totally devoid of craft and creativity so he's got to come back deep to have any kind of say in the game.

I wouldn't be looking to chuck a lot of money at him. Ideally he wont want to break the bank and he'll want to stay. But there is no point in having him as a highest paid player, which is what he would be, if we're not going to play him in an area of maximum return and have players around him that make him worthwhile to have.

Greedy_Jambo
15 minutes ago, a11ank said:

Not quite sure what you are saying here?

Are you suggesting that Steve Clarke is the answer?  Kilmarnock and Steve Clarke have presided over 3 defeats to Aberdeen this season, including a home cup tie last night.  How many have we had?

Just asking.....

All i'm saying is that with the amount of money we've spent on players, whether it be on wages on transfers, we should be competing for 3rd place in the league. 

I constantly see managers punch well above their weight with teams with very little resources. I can't say for certain that Steve Clarke would do a better job at Hearts but imagine if he was given the same resources as Craig Levein!  I'm sure he would think that Christmas had came early. 

Edited by Greedy_Jambo

53 minutes ago, MadJock said:

I'm the total opposit, i paying my money, I hope that I am going to find the product entertaining, i know its not going to happen every week as thats football, the problem is its not really happening at all. Its a costly day out for me and as i get older I start to wonder if I would be better looking for something else to waste my cash on because at present I feel that my cash is being wasted

Yeah at times you get Brief flashes from a player or the team but its usually the same defensive boring football.

I never once thought that the CL out brigade would be the majority, too many folks just do not care, thats not a slur on anyone, i have posted before that i have the upmost respect for fans who can blindly follow the team. What worries me and should worry every fan is that if the poll reflects even 10% (currently at 24 i think) of season tickets holders who do not renew then thats a huge financial hit on the club.

I do not want CL to fail, but i have seen nothing to make me think we are in fact progressing and that worries me.

MJ

Oh that's unfair. You can't assume that those who don't want Levein out just don't care enough or don't care as much as you do. It's definitely not a case of blindly following the team for me either. I'm fed up of histrionics and demands for sackings all over the place, and the treatment of Neilson (and subsequent departure) was a particularly low point for us as a support I think. I don't want short term bursts of success (derby wins and once in a blue moon 4-0 against Celtic isn't enough for me) I want something longer lasting and sustainable. I want us to cement the third position with a view to moving closer to the top two and I want cups. Europe would be nice but domestic stuff comes first for me. I think we'll get closer to that by letting Levein get on with the job, others will want a different sort of success and will see a different route to it. That's just football fans, and it doesn't mean anyone's less passionate or cares less. I'm just prepared to be patient - it's not like I'm going anywhere. I'm in it for the long haul.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

No, that's true. Fwiw I wasn't trying to make it palatable. I just thought the stats (and draws) offered an interesting perspective. 

3 minutes ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

All i'm saying is that with the amount of money we've spent on players, whether be on wages on transfers, we should be competing for 3rd place in the league. 

I constantly see managers punch well above their weight with teams with very little resources. I can't say for certain that Steve Clarke would do a better job at Hearts but imagine if he was given the same resources as Craig Levein!  I'm sure he would think Christmas has come early. 

We're fourth in last year's spend league, and maybe might find we're fifth when next year's report comes out.

10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

In the stay camp BUT we need a good start to 2018/19.

I think that's probably accurate for the majority of those - myself included - who voted stay.  'Good start' for me includes some really positive movement in the transfer market in the summer.

14 minutes ago, redm said:

Oh that's unfair. You can't assume that those who don't want Levein out just don't care enough or don't care as much as you do. It's definitely not a case of blindly following the team for me either. I'm fed up of histrionics and demands for sackings all over the place, and the treatment of Neilson (and subsequent departure) was a particularly low point for us as a support I think. I don't want short term bursts of success (derby wins and once in a blue moon 4-0 against Celtic isn't enough for me) I want something longer lasting and sustainable. I want us to cement the third position with a view to moving closer to the top two and I want cups. Europe would be nice but domestic stuff comes first for me. I think we'll get closer to that by letting Levein get on with the job, others will want a different sort of success and will see a different route to it. That's just football fans, and it doesn't mean anyone's less passionate or cares less. I'm just prepared to be patient - it's not like I'm going anywhere. I'm in it for the long haul.

If thats the way it comes across then i apoligise, i certainly did not mean it in that reguard. I certainly do not want to sound that i care more than others, i know there is  people that care a lot more about this club than i do and as i have said before i respect them for that commitment. I do get other peoples point of view and i respect that they have  a diffrent opinion to me and are entiteled to express there opinion.

I meant that people do not care about the type of football we are playing and i am no way slating anyone for that, some people like we do not conceed, some just like the end result reguardless of how we played. Certainly not here to belittle or upset anyone so again my apoigies for coming across that way.

Edited by MadJock
to give an explination

9 hours ago, Spencer said:

He was on £50k when Norwich were in the Premiership.  That was reduced to £30k when they got relegated.

It was reported we were paying on third of his wages = £10k per week.

14 minutes ago, redm said:

Pretty much where I am, redm. 

Rome wasn't built in a day, but possibly one of the galling things is that we had made a pretty decent job of building something that was beginning to look like Rome, only to pull it apart and start again.  It does piss me off to think that our Championship-winning team would very likely beat our current team.  While that isn't 100% down to Levein, as DoF he has to accept some responsibility.  But the Board cannot be blind to that, either, though I suspect the new main stand became the Board's sole focus.

2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

He was on £50k when Norwich were in the Premiership.  That was reduced to £30k when they got relegated.

It was reported we were paying on third of his wages = £10k per week.

Its reported we are paying him £3k per week.