Jamie Walker joins Wigan (updated)

Beats

1 hour ago, Spencer said:

Not sure I follow. Am I trying to bump up the price of who? 

I have no idea if Jamie was in Wigan or not. As I stated above - good luck to him

I'll be pleased when he has gone 

We are trying to punt Walker . You are talking him down . Sorry thought it was pretty obvious , sarcasm ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Spencer

• It should have been ten

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

scott herbertson
21 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

What happens if he fails a medical at Wigan :smile:

Then Levein will continue to pick him if he shows willing in training and shows his worth on the pitch.

Just now, Jambo92 said:

Just know that he will turn down Wigan and spend the next 6 months waiting for Rangers to come along, they won't and he will beg Hearts for a new deal, we won't and he will end up on Aberdeen's bench or something.

I fear we will end up offering him a new contract and it will be more of the same.

Walker will be raging. Liking all those rangers related posts on Instagram and still didn't get his move :lol:. Dull one. 

38 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I fear we will end up offering him a new contract and it will be more of the same.

I do worry about such an outcome. It certainly could happen as his already limited options narrow further.

If he did come back with his tail between his legs I suspect we would deal him in

Time has come for parting of the ways. He is incredibly stale 

Son Of Anarchy
45 minutes ago, Yoda said:

why? He's refused the contract. Doubt its still on the table and I'd actually be livid if it was. Time to move on for both parties.

There was something wrong with that whole generation of Hearts youngsters. Seemed to think that because they kept their jobs and got chances to shine in the first team due to our economic situation, that this somehow meant they deserved mega-rewards once the club got back on track...None of them seemed recognise that merely having jobs and first team experience at that age was a total boon for them!

1 hour ago, Longshanks said:

Walker will be raging. Liking all those rangers related posts on Instagram and still didn't get his move :lol:. Dull one. 

Cautionary tale! Now he has to live in Wigan :D

On 31/12/2017 at 02:24, socrates82 said:

talent and injuries aside I don’t think JW has the mentality to make it down south. The boy is being led down a very slippery slope by either agent or family I don’t know but he won’t make it down there. I would put my house on it! There is no chance

Edited by red

This time last year I'd have been desperate for him to sign an extension, now I'll be glad when he goes.

He's served us well and vice versa, time for both to move on.

No point in any sell-on clauses.

1 hour ago, Son Of Anarchy said:

why? He's refused the contract. Doubt its still on the table and I'd actually be livid if it was. Time to move on for both parties.

CL keeps picking him, even though he's clearly just going through the motions, so I think he still rates him.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Cautionary tale! Now he has to live in Wigan :D

Why does he have to live in Wigan? Even if he does sign for them.  Leafy Cheshire very close by where most of the City and Utd players probably live.

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, Yoda said:

CL keeps picking him, even though he's clearly just going through the motions, so I think he still rates him.

Clearly CL doesn’t think Walker is “just going through the motions”. Neither do I for that matter. CL would never play a player who wasn’t giving everything he had, in my opinion. Not that he is playing well either.

8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why does he have to live in Wigan? Even if he does sign for them.  Leafy Cheshire very close by where most of the City and Utd players probably live.

Dont all the Hearts players live on Gorgie Road???

Son Of Anarchy
1 hour ago, Yoda said:

That actually did my nut in. Shoe horn him into the team, throw KL out wide and for what? A player who isn't even close to deserving a start? I'd have dropped him long ago.

Edited by Son Of Anarchy

rudi must stay
4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

There was something wrong with that whole generation of Hearts youngsters. Seemed to think that because they kept their jobs and got chances to shine in the first team due to our economic situation, that this somehow meant they deserved mega-rewards once the club got back on track...None of them seemed recognise that merely having jobs and first team experience at that age was a total boon for them!

Don't agree at all. To a man they gave it their all everytime they played. They were a good generation for Hearts, I just hope the next one is even better

6 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I'm as apathetic about his leaving as he was about playing for us.

This.  Hard to believe so many pages are devoted to a guy who doesn't even want to be at Hearts.  Good luck to him wherever he goes (and he surely will) but I cannot believe that Wigan are gonna buy him with a view to getting into the Championship.  He's never gonna make it in the Championship. 

18 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Don't agree at all. To a man they gave it their all everytime they played. They were a good generation for Hearts, I just hope the next one is even better

Walker is pretty much the last one of that batch. We got pretty much nothing for any of them by way of a transfer fee. Paterson is the only one who will make it at any sort of level above Hearts imo 

rudi must stay
15 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Walker is pretty much the last one of that batch. We got pretty much nothing for any of them by way of a transfer fee. Paterson is the only one who will make it at any sort of level above Hearts imo 

it's been strange that they didn't attract interest but I think due to Ann Budge we're not considered a soft touch anymore. Paterson will definatly, but I think Walker could do well down south, get him in a well organised team and he's given license to bomb forward he could be a great signing and Wigan seem a good footballing side for him to start with. The Rangers thing was sad but still quality player, out of the group the best with the ball at his feet

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

it's been strange that they didn't attract interest but I think due to Ann Budge we're not considered a soft touch anymore. Paterson will definatly, but I think Walker could do well down south, get him in a well organised team and he's given license to bomb forward he could be a great signing and Wigan seem a good footballing side for him to start with. The Rangers thing was sad but still quality player, out of the group the best with the ball at his feet

For the good of his career I hope you are right. I just can't see Walker making it. His fitness and pace issues will be crudely exposed imo. 

The rest simply weren't good enough to move on for any meaningful money 

There are a few emerging now who appear to have a real chance.  Very early for the likes of Cochrane and McDonald. They are clearly talented along with Brandon and Henderson etc 

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Spencer said:

For the good of his career I hope you are right. I just can't see Walker making it. His fitness and pace issues will be crudely exposed imo. 

The rest simply weren't good enough to move on for any meaningful money 

There are a few emerging now who appear to have a real chance.  Very early for the likes of Cochrane and McDonald. They are clearly talented along with Brandon and Henderson etc 

He has amazing skill on the ball, actually his stats in a Hearts shirt are very good. 12-15 goals on average a season. Funny player I think he's never really been appreciated, maybe he will be at another club. The workrate and attitude of the new group looks top class IMO, Great enthusiasm from them all.

1 hour ago, Spencer said:

Spot on , think Walker will be playing for Hamilton or Dundee in a couple of seasons ! We should have cashed him in when we had the chance with Rangers . 

27 minutes ago, fila said:

Spot on , think Walker will be playing for Hamilton or Dundee in a couple of seasons ! We should have cashed him in when we had the chance with Rangers . 

Absolutely right. I thought we should have taken the money and ran in the summer.

We have got precisely what I feared we would get from him in the intervening 6 months - nothing. 

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, Son Of Anarchy said:

That actually did my nut in. Shoe horn him into the team, throw KL out wide and for what? A player who isn't even close to deserving a start? I'd have dropped him long ago.

Well said

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, fila said:

Totally agree 

10 hours ago, Yoda said:

I'd be happy if Walker stays. I don't get this thing of rubbishing players because they decide to move. It even happened with Paterson. I hate it when players want to move to Rangers but Walker is similar to Wallace. He obviously wants to stay in Scotland ideally and earn decent money - that means Rangers or Celtic. Rangers played him and hopefully he gets a move elsewhere but if he stays with us I'll be delighted. 

If he moves, there's no reason why he can't make it if someone like Barry McKay can, who was not as good as Walker when you compare their overall careers in Scotland so far.

Walker has been one of our best attacking players of the last 5 years. He's ahead of our other recent wingers Driver, Nicolson, Temps, Miko and Cesnauskis in terms of his contribution over several seasons. Obviously he's way behind the likes of Rudi, Hartley and Aguiar as an attacking midfielder but Walker has more than paid his way with us.

He hasn't been on the best form since Cathro came in but he has shown signs of it since Levein took over. And even this season when he's been injury-prone, off form and playing in a team that can't score, he's been by far our most dangerous midfielder: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/heart-of-midlothian/top-scorers . At least he's been trying to score, those stats hardly suggest he's been hiding.

Edited by socrates82

Arnold Rothstein
1 hour ago, socrates82 said:

He's ahead of our other recent wingers Driver, Nicolson, Temps, Miko and Cesnauskis in terms of his contribution over several seasons. Obviously he's way behind the likes of Rudi, Hartley and Aguiar as an attacking midfielder but Walker has more than paid his way with us.

Not sure I agree he’s ahead of any of those you’ve listed tbh. He’s about the same level as Nicholson and way behind the others I would argue. 

3 hours ago, socrates82 said:

I'd be happy if Walker stays. I don't get this thing of rubbishing players because they decide to move. It even happened with Paterson. I hate it when players want to move to Rangers but Walker is similar to Wallace. He obviously wants to stay in Scotland ideally and earn decent money - that means Rangers or Celtic. Rangers played him and hopefully he gets a move elsewhere but if he stays with us I'll be delighted. 

If he moves, there's no reason why he can't make it if someone like Barry McKay can, who was not as good as Walker when you compare their overall careers in Scotland so far.

Walker has been one of our best attacking players of the last 5 years. He's ahead of our other recent wingers Driver, Nicolson, Temps, Miko and Cesnauskis in terms of his contribution over several seasons. Obviously he's way behind the likes of Rudi, Hartley and Aguiar as an attacking midfielder but Walker has more than paid his way with us.

He hasn't been on the best form since Cathro came in but he has shown signs of it since Levein took over. And even this season when he's been injury-prone, off form and playing in a team that can't score, he's been by far our most dangerous midfielder: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/heart-of-midlothian/top-scorers . At least he's been trying to score, those stats hardly suggest he's been hiding.

Wallace’s form never fell off a cliff before he left. 

Also Miko was a much better player than Jamie Walker. The others are debatable too.

Edited by Ryder

Captain America
3 hours ago, socrates82 said:

He is only better than Nicholson from that list.

On par with Temps.

Driver, Miko & Cesny all part of cup winning teams and played well over a number of seasons.

29 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Wallace’s form never fell off a cliff before he left. 

Also Miko was a much better player than Jamie Walker. The others are debatable too.

:laugh:

C'mon, let's not get carried away with the hate to the point we are rewriting Miko's time at the club. He was wildly inconsistent,  and often hid and shirked his way through games.

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

:laugh:

C'mon, let's not get carried away with the hate to the point we are rewriting Miko's time at the club. He was wildly inconsistent,  and often hid and shirked his way through games.

Miko turned up every single derby usually scoring goals. He scored in the Champions League for us. He also had more pace and skill. I’d have Miko in my Hearts team every single day of the week before Jamie.

Just now, Ryder said:

Miko turned up every single derby usually scoring goals. He scored in the Champions League for us. He also had more pace and skill. I’d have Miko in my Hearts team every single day of the week before Jamie.

2 goals in 10 games v hibs - hardly "usually". But he did indeed turn up...apart from the derby where he was utterly rank, stupidly got sent off and the team played better because they didn;t have to carry him anymore?

Miko was good, i liked him, but let us not get all misty eyed over his overall contribution.

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

2 goals in 10 games v hibs - hardly "usually". But he did indeed turn up...apart from the derby where he was utterly rank, stupidly got sent off and the team played better because they didn;t have to carry him anymore?

Miko was good, i liked him, but let us not get all misty eyed over his overall contribution.

Fair enough about goals. Walker scores more goals than Miko did. If they were strikers it would be no contest. As wingers however, Miko brought more to the team and turned up in the games where it really mattered. Miko also played as a winger predominantly and to the best of my memory never played as a number ten. If we swapped Walker for the 2004-6 Miko right now, his pace and skill would turn this team around.

It should have been ten
16 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Agree 100%

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

Fair enough about goals. Walker scores more goals than Miko did. If they were strikers it would be no contest. As wingers however, Miko brought more to the team and turned up in the games where it really mattered. Miko also played as a winger predominantly and to the best of my memory never played as a number ten. If we swapped Walker for the 2004-6 Miko right now, his pace and skill would turn this team around.

I think your memory of Miko is clouded somewhat by your utter contempt for Walker.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think your memory of Miko is clouded somewhat by your utter contempt for Walker.

Not really. I’ve given my opinions repeatedly and explained my reasons. You just trot out the same line about me hating Walker. Whatever floats yer boat though. :thumbsup:

Captain America
49 minutes ago, Ryder said:

This.

35 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

In fairness it's not hard to have contempt for Walker 

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Walker at his best is different class to miko

Disagree, sorry. 

maroonnicky63

I always find it hilarious on here that once a player decides he wants to go according to some on here he was shite anyway. Grow up , he was a cracking player for us and he is now coming to the end of his time at hearts. Good luck to him wherever he goes unless he comes back to play against us then I hope he has a nightmare on that game.

Just now, Spencer said:

Except it’s not based on contempt, it based on his performances for Hearts.

maroonnicky63
Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

100% correct , time seems to cloud peoples judgments

Just now, Spencer said:

I totally get that, but let's not get all misty eyed over Miko's contribution which, at times, was woeful (and sometimes rather decent!) just to make a point.

Jambof3tornado
5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Pity he rarely plays to his full potential.

Even in the games where he plays well it tends to be for 20 to 30 minutes of the 90.

He could be so much better than he is.

unless ive been reading it wrong, the stats ive seen (using London hearts and transfermarkt) over the whole of 2017 Jamie Walker has scored in only 4 league games and made just 1 assist, in that time he has made 31 league appearances 

an entire calendar year is a hell of a long time to be off form 

• redm changed the title to Jamie Walker joins Wigan for £300k (updated)
  • davemclaren locked this topic