Levein on Mikey Stewart

Wilo

2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

You never heard Stewart on the radio or watched Sportscene, did you? 

I absolutely did listen to Sportsound after the game and couldn't believe the drivel he was spouting I actually tweeted Stewart to say he had lost all credibility. 

None of us truly believe that the game last week was brilliant but we dominated it, missed a few easy chances and if we had won 3-0 there could not had been any complaints. Yet Stewart made it sound like we were lucky to get out of game with a point 

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Can someone tell me  What did Biscuits ever do as a player?  How come people even quote him as though he was some sort of managerial genius?

I don't think Gary Mackay will be spared.  I reckon he will be lined up next but that could depend on our next couple of results or his next couple of columns.

Did he not score a header for us 1993 cup semi against Rangers at Parkhead. As I remember Robbo crossed a beautiful curling ball to the back post and there was biscuits to bullet it in. 

Honestly can't think of anything else worthwhile he contributed.

Just now, Hearts lad said:

The latest Kickback in word "agenda". 

Nope, that’s an old one. Everyone knows it’s ‘acolyte’. Do keep up.

Of course Stewart has valid points talking about Levein, but I’m just enjoying the fight back from Levein, it’s been a long time coming.

Thats what I want to see from a Hearts manager, hopefully the players will have the “well done gaffer” mentality, and have that extra bit motivation and fight for him.

These sort of things can transfer down the ranks and help galvanise the team. Surely the players must be sick of the criticism as well.

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

:smile:

48 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

Finding this thread quite tragic. 

We have been through one of the worst footballing years in our entire history and the man in charge of the football side, is being blindly defended by some because they perceive MS as being anti Hearts. If we were performing to any standard in the park, there would be no room for anyone to criticise.

Don't forget MS is not alone. Other former players say similar things and so do about 50% of our support. There is no smoke without fire. 

Many need a dose of reality here. We are utterly abysmal just now and deserve all the flag we are getting. Levein should have been sacked on the spot after Cathro and don't forget, he wanting to keep him in place.... 

I'm sorry some can't see it, but a support as split as ours is a recipe for disaster. Sides are becoming more and more entrenched, so this won't end well. No individual is bigger than the club and Budge needs to sort it before apathy and mediocrity take hold. 

Ha ha ha dose of reality is correct. 

Worst years in our entire history wow.

6 hours ago, jambocub said:

Phm .we're all hearts fans this pure hearts man sh** does my nut in.

As if theres sime sort of league table of how much a fan someone is 

Well said. 

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I tend not to spend every day on here so I bow to your knowledge on such trivial details. 

10 hours ago, Gards said:

I think CL's main point here is that MS has come out and publicly said he doesn't like CL and doesn't think he's a nice man.   So from that point onwards, anything MS says about CL cannot be treated objectively as he's stated a personal dislike for CL.

I think that's what CL is saying is the issue here - objectivity and impartiality on reporting on Hearts by MS goes out the window and its being allowed to continue (regardless if the comments are correct or not).

Exactly ---If I recall the exact words were that CL was not a nice individual and therefore it is reasonable to interpret MS has a personal agenda. 

What I thought was great about our coverage on Sportscene last week was how his main point was we'd had loads of shots on goal but no real chances in dangerous areas (inside the double six-yard box, as he called it).  He showed numerous clips of us taking decent shots from range (after decent build up).

Then to try and strengthen his point, he showed some clips of when we did get in the right positions.  From the same game.  So did we or didn't we get in to dangerous positions Mikey?  You've shown us making chances in the box - a couple proper point blank - to illustrate the fact that we don't do that!!!

Watch it again, it's amateur and the twisting of the game to suit what he was trying to say... what he was going to say no matter what.

Not saying we were great last week, but we were hitting the target from distance, and also made some decent gilt-edged chances.  They claimed County made the better chances - their "offside" was obviously one, but the one off the post was no better a chance than about 5 of ours.

Similar coverage all season really.  Dundee got lauded to high heaven against us but were no more than industrial and we outplayed them the whole game.  And we've had that a few times from sportscene.  Not a good word to say about us.

Eff them likes, but if any Jambo can't see that bias, I truly question them.  And I'm no CL's biggest fan by the way!!

Michael Stewart claims that the points he makes regarding the style of play, set up of side etc, are not agenda driven. I find that hard to believe. Good on Craig Levein for showing a bit of passion and for calling Michael Stewart out for what he is; a no mark as a player who is attempting to carve out a career in the media by being very opinionated.

24 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

The percentage of Duds Hearts have signed with Craig Levein as Director of Football, have no equal in the Clubs history.

As Director of Football, Craig Levein was responsible for all Football matters. Either he neglected to do his job properly or has a very poor idea of what a good player resembles.

Not so sure when I think about players signed in the 70s. Easier to get rid then though. 

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

What I thought was great about our coverage on Sportscene last week was how his main point was we'd had loads of shots on goal but no real chances in dangerous areas (inside the double six-yard box, as he called it).  He showed numerous clips of us taking decent shots from range (after decent build up).

Then to try and strengthen his point, he showed some clips of when we did get in the right positions.  From the same game.  So did we or didn't we get in to dangerous positions Mikey?  You've shown us making chances in the box - a couple proper point blank - to illustrate the fact that we don't do that!!!

Watch it again, it's amateur and the twisting of the game to suit what he was trying to say... what he was going to say no matter what.

Not saying we were great last week, but we were hitting the target from distance, and also made some decent gilt-edged chances.  They claimed County made the better chances - their "offside" was obviously one, but the one off the post was no better a chance than about 5 of ours.

Similar coverage all season really.  Dundee got lauded to high heaven against us but were no more than industrial and we outplayed them the whole game.  And we've had that a few times from sportscene.  Not a good word to say about us.

Eff them likes, but if any Jambo can't see that bias, I truly question them.  And I'm no CL's biggest fan by the way!!

Says it all for me O.

10 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Sergio, Jefferies..Incidentally a PHM who actually supported the club as a boy, trophy winners. It doesn't really take much to surpass Levein if the truth be told. In  years to come fans will remember double medal winners like Rudi Skacel and managers like Jefferies long before they do Levein.

In my 60 odd years of watching Hearts, Craig Levein was the best central defender by the proverbial country mile.

2 minutes ago, Hearts lad said:

I tend not to spend every day on here so I bow to your knowledge on such trivial details. 

Good-oh. Probably for the best.

1 minute ago, daveyhmfc said:

Poundland Mikey should be his moniker.

Poundland Mikey ......theres only one Poundland Mikey .......one Poundland Mikey......theres only one Poundland Mikey :rofl:

17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The usual suspects all over this thread. Don't say anything for a week or more. The first opportunity they see to lay into the Hearts manager and the Hearts team. They are there with both feet. To paraphrase Jim Royce. Hearts supporters. My arse.

Don't worry John. It balances itself out. Every time someone criticises the manager, some arsehole comes along and assures us all he isn't a Hearts fan.

2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Don't worry John. It balances itself out. Every time someone criticises the manager, some arsehole comes along and assures us all he isn't a Hearts fan.

I blame the acolytes. That and the boot room, obviously.

Pathetic playground stuff. Levein has press conferences every week so there is ample opportunity to put the record straight instead of complaining to teacher about a bad boy saying nasty things.  I couldn't care less what is written about him and I rarely read any of it. Maybe Levein could do the same. 

8 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Good-oh. Probably for the best.

Agreed, it is better you spend everyday on here rather than myself, glad that's been cleared up. 

37 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Im sure that you, MS and all the other anti-Hearts weirdos on here will have a wee chug together if we do lose

quality :laugh::laugh:

Just now, Hearts lad said:

Agreed, it is better you spend everyday on here rather than myself, glad that's been cleared up. 

Yes. I agree. It’s good to know where we stand. :thumbsup:

I like Michael Stewart as a pundit; he's astute, intelligent and offers a perspective from a former player that doesn't just talk nonsense or state the bleeding obvious (Pat Bonner, Kris Boyd, Stephen Craigan - I'm looking you).
With Levein though, there is for me, a mass of contradictions and a personal agenda that affects is comments on Hearts.
When results and performances took a downturn under Neilson, MS started questioning the DOF influence, saying the team looked more like a Levein team and questioning exactly what the DOF role was. The fact that there were articles around at time quoting Robbie on this is by the by. The inference was clear, there was an influence and it wasn't a good one.
Later on when Cathro had been sacked, MS again queried what the role of DOF was and also on Sportsound stated that a manager like Tommy Wright wouldn't take the role with a DOF above him (interference = bad).
He's now saying that Levein was overseeing recruitment and endorsed the signings so is culpable for any failures i.e. he should have interfered. The contradictions are stark.
When that contradiction is put to him on radio, he then asks what the point of a DOF is but he's only really arrived at that point after attacking Levein from all angles.
He's commented plenty on the Rangers situation as well but I can't remember him ever vigorously querying the DOF role there, why is that?

That doesn't mean that a lot of what he's said about Hearts and decisions made by Levein as head coach aren't spot on.
We have been poor; the football bar the home games against Aberdeen and Ross County , chronic ; the side lacks balance, width, pace and a left back; Levein employing a scattergun approach to employing youth players.
These are all correct.

What irks me is the inconsistency.
When results initially were good under Levein, he said the style of play was brutal and too route one. I haven't heard that trotted out too much when St Johnstone and Motherwell were getting results.

He added to that comment by saying Hearts could play a better style of football but there's a contradiction there when you talk about the team lacking width, pace and balance.

Ultimately I think a lot of comments Stewart says are correct but he has on numerous occasions contradicted himself and failed to apply the same logic to other teams and for me, that's because he doesn't like Craig Levein.

As for Leveins statement; the last comment is funny but I can't help thinking he would have been better leaving out the speaking to BBC part and just saying he disagrees with Stewart but he's entitled to his opinion.

Ultimately, if he wants to ram it up Michael Stewart then he needs to do in on the park.

Weird that people would side with a nonentity narcissist like Stewart - a supposed Hearts fan who’s probably never paid entry to Tynecastle and signed for the shite.

In comparison, Levein was one of the finest Hearts players of the past 50 years, a high achieving manager with us and an integral part of our resurgence since administration.

The usual suspects have been spouting the same ignorant shite about Levein since 2004.

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, Gambo said:

I will ask the Jkb massive again.......are results and performances poor?

Aye, they're shite, and Stewart has a point, but it is good to see Levein come out swinging. 

There is a definite agenda but I also think his comments are valid and why shouldn’t Hearts be scrutinised when the playing side is performing poorly and recruitment has been bad?!

All Out Attack
17 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Poundland Mikey ......theres only one Poundland Mikey .......one Poundland Mikey......theres only one Poundland Mikey :rofl:

A post like this shows your age. 

It also doesn't make Levein a better manager,  DOF or improve our last years results.  

34 minutes ago, Rents said:

Ha ha ha dose of reality is correct. 

Worst years in our entire history wow.

I suppose he might be correct.

If he only started being allowed to go to matches three years ago.?

Coburg Hearts
9 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

Weird that people would side with a nonentity narcissist like Stewart - a supposed Hearts fan who’s probably never paid entry to Tynecastle and signed for the shite.

In comparison, Levein was one of the finest Hearts players of the past 50 years, a high achieving manager with us and an integral part of our resurgence since administration.

The usual suspects have been spouting the same ignorant shite about Levein since 2004.

That's what I can't get my head round. People who always give our detractors the benefit of the doubt, but never give it to our club or staff.  

12 hours ago, All Out Attack said:

Levein is the root of our problems and it is disappointing many in our support can't see this. 

Stewart is simply calling things as they are. I couldn't care less if he has a personal agenda, it's only when he says something incorrect I will discount it. 

In your opinion...

6 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

In your opinion...

and aslo in Michael Stewarts opinion wouldn't you say. A view also shared by many Hearts fans.

If Neil Lennon or Brendan Rodgers had phoned the BBC to complain about a pundit we'd be laughing our arses off at them. Quite rightly. 

5 minutes ago, CBjambo said:

There is a definite agenda but I also think his comments are valid and why shouldn’t Hearts be scrutinised when the playing side is performing poorly and recruitment has been bad?!

It saddens me that our DOF & Manager falls into the trap of engaging in a spat with a pundit. This is definitely not the behaviour that I would expect from a person with such responsibility within our club.

MS has got under CLs skin and shows that CL is feeling the pressure and reacting in the completely wrong way.

If CL gets it right on the park then this will go away, if he fails it will get worse and IMHO there is only 1 person to blame for that 

Just now, Escobar PHM said:

and aslo in Michael Stewarts opinion wouldn't you say. A view also shared by many Hearts fans.

I think the point is not that MS shouldn't voice his opinion but that he criticises Hearts/Levein disproportionately compared to other teams and managers. Therfore he is letting his personal dislike of CL affect his job.

I have to admit I don't like football pundits anyway. I don't see the need for them and think it's just another example of the jobs for the boys/girls culture on tv. That is why I don't watch the programme and prefer to pick up the highlights of matches from the Internet. 

Gobshites like Michael Stewart get far too much air time.

Could Levein go on TV and 'Critique' teams, performances, players, results, formations etc - Absolutely..

Could MS walk for a day in Leveins shoes and would all the luvies on hear welcome it....Interesting!!!

This is pathetic from Levein. Says he “doesn’t really care” what Stewart says but went crying to the BBC and then told the evening news. 

Some really desperate stuff. If this was Lennon and Hibs, we’d be quite rightly bent over backwards laughing at them right now. 

1 hour ago, gowestjambo said:

The percentage of Duds Hearts have signed with Craig Levein as Director of Football, have no equal in the Clubs history.

As Director of Football, Craig Levein was responsible for all Football matters. Either he neglected to do his job properly or has a very poor idea of what a good player resembles.

You obviously haven't followed Hearts for long.  What about Jefferies with the likes of Petric or the Romavov regime with the Lithuanians like Kurskis and Barasa?  You could go back before Jefferies and find some real shockers like Musimic who was signed by mistake.

People only remember the bad players when trying to put a manager down.  What about the likes of Pressley, Webster, Hartley?  The core of our team that won us the cup in 06 were his players.

14 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I think the point is not that MS shouldn't voice his opinion but that he criticises Hearts/Levein disproportionately compared to other teams and managers. Therfore he is letting his personal dislike of CL affect his job.

I have to admit I don't like football pundits anyway. I don't see the need for them and think it's just another example of the jobs for the boys/girls culture on tv. That is why I don't watch the programme and prefer to pick up the highlights of matches from the Internet. 

Stewart was a petulant player who clearly didn't like being bossed by Levein as a player.  Now he has the media opportunities to take a pop at him.

10 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I don't watch the programme either and if he's covering a Hearts game I'm generally at the game anyway.

Look, we can't have it both ways with pundits.The guys who speak their mind, like Sutton and Stewart and a few others to a lesser extent, are far minor interesting to listen to than the sound byte mob like Nevin, Provan and Collins.(amongst others) If we're saying that they have to hold back on their opinions because they are upsetting one particular manager at one particular club then we'd be as well not watching, or watching with the sound off. The BBC will no doubt publicly support Stewart to the hilt. Privately they might ask him to tone down the personal stuff "I don't like him' 'He's not a nice man' that kind of thing he's been heard to say, but I want to hear what Stewart has to say much more than most of the other head nodders filling the airwaves.

32 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

A post like this shows your age. 

It also doesn't make Levein a better manager,  DOF or improve our last years results.  

And what age would that be?

1 hour ago, Hearts lad said:

The latest Kickback in word "agenda". 

it provides a fresh alternative to the usual  "pant wetter" and "happy clapper" phrases tho 

1 minute ago, Dinger said:

it provides a fresh alternative to the usual  "pant wetter" and "happy clapper" phrases tho 

:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I don't watch the programme either and if he's covering a Hearts game I'm generally at the game anyway.

Look, we can't have it both ways with pundits.The guys who speak their mind, like Sutton and Stewart and a few others to a lesser extent, are far minor interesting to listen to than the sound byte mob like Nevin, Provan and Collins.(amongst others) If we're saying that they have to hold back on their opinions because they are upsetting one particular manager at one particular club then we'd be as well not watching, or watching with the sound off. The BBC will no doubt publicly support Stewart to the hilt. Privately they might ask him to tone down the personal stuff "I don't like him' 'He's not a nice man' that kind of thing he's been heard to say, but I want to hear what Stewart has to say much more than most of the other head nodders filling the airwaves.

Fair enough we all have different opinions. I exercise my opinions through my remote control.

It's the football I want to watch not the likes of Stewart.

I left the game last week and got to the car in time to here Stewart and Biscuits describing a different game to the one I’d just watched. Biscuits wasn’t at the game and Stewart had his I hate Levein glasses on. 

As we all know and seen we were very unlucky not to win, especially as Isma missed two chances from inside the six yard box. 

We have been crap and signed some god awful players in recent times but having watched Hearts for 60 years this last 18 months or so it is by no means the worst I’ve ever seen. 

Archived