Levein on Mikey Stewart

Wilo

A_A wehatethehibs

“He’s going to self combust one day, that’s for sure”

“We had to put something like £1 a week on his contract and without doubt it was the worst value for money I’ve ever had for a player”

???????????

ice cold 

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seymour M Hersh

Well who'd have thought this thread would divide along the hate Levein at any and all cost and the willing to give him a chance, realistic about our situation/like Levien camps! :rofl:

All we need now is for him (Levein) to lose count of a referees errors in one of our games after 90 ,mistakes and for him to call out certain players as wage thieves and we'll have the early naughties version back! :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, XB52 said:

At last Levein comes out fighting, about time.

This. Craig has completed a huge amount of successful work for Hearts as player, manager and director. As a player he is one of the best Hearts players I have ever seen in maroon  and Stewart doesn’t come close!!!! Respect please. Stewart is clearly enjoying trawling fans , many on here, who should know better! 

Stewart started his career as a pundit pretty well. He was different to most ex players in that he gave honest opinions and wasn’t afraid to rattle a few cages. Lately though it’s like he is trying to be the Scottish version of Chris Sutton. on sportscene he just says the opposite of anything Stephen Thomson says and has silly wee digs at him. 

kingantti1874

Well said Craig.. we did play decent last week.. we've certainly played far worse under many different managers who've not been  criticised nearly as much.  You could apply the sentiments to some of our own fans who see what they want to see because they dislike the guy.

kingantti1874
5 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Fan??  Not fit to lace my father's boots. Captain? Not a cup winning one he wasn't. Usurped by Elvis. Manager..not a cup winning one he wasn't. In the history of our great club he won't figure prominently apart from the fact that he incurred a 10 match ban for punching a teammate.

You can't be serious.. how old are you.. probably the best centre back ever to pull on the shirt..was an absolute privilege to see him play..

This is a general comment so solely directed at you: some of the comments on here are somewhere between and absolute disgrace and complete lunacy..  what a shameful way to talk about a club legend. Embarrssing

Stewart deserved that. I actually like both of them, but he's had that coming for a while and the shite piece of business forra pound is going to stick.

crichiejambos

Do a sevco ban the bbc from tynecastle that will show them,eh? They'd probably be relieved thank feck we don't have to sit through that guff.......keep it up michael Lol

8 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I've always liked Stewart but there is no doubt he is only covering our games from one angle at the moment.

The last bit is probably why he does. He clearly had to put up with some amount of shite going by that statement.

Watch this Crew turn against Anne as soon as Craig is gone.

Some of these so called Hearts fans need to take a good long look at themselves.

51 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Well who'd have thought this thread would divide along the hate Levein at any and all cost and the willing to give him a chance, realistic about our situation/like Levien camps! :rofl:

All we need now is for him (Levein) to lose count of a referees errors in one of our games after 90 ,mistakes and for him to call out certain players as wage thieves and we'll have the early naughties version back! :thumbsup:

At the minute he's the biggest wage thief. 

22 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

What has Michael Stewart ever done for us as a club???

GIRFUY, and take your agenda with you.

No agenda just a bit of banter to start the day. Happy Saturday 

That's more like it Craig.

:jjyay:

I've been a critic of Levein but it's good to see him come out defend himself, Stewarts obsession with Levein is creepy

Walter Bishop

I agree, there is clearly something personal between the two but it’s still Embarassing from Levein, not befitting the manager and a director of Heart of Midlothian. He should have relied on results and performances to do his talking for him. This is a deflection tactic imo and he has got the exact reaction he would have expected, from the people who can see him do no wrong. 

He he has to accept the wasting of thousands and thousands of pounds, especially when the club is constantly asking the supporters for more money, his appointment of Ian Cathro, performance of the team and ultimately results leaves him wide open to this criticism. 

MS Is a complete wonk

Loves himself and the sound of his own voice.

Its very very easy to criticise something/someone.

This guy is trying to turn himself into a politician?!

9 hours ago, Wilo said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-boss-craig-levein-says-pundit-michael-stewart-has-agenda-1-4628666

Hearts manager Craig Levein has contacted BBC Scotland to voice concern about ongoing criticism from pundit Michael Stewart which he deems to be driven by a personal grudge.

The pair didn’t see eye to eye when Stewart played under Levein during a spell on loan at Tynecastle from Manchester United 13 years ago, and the 36-year-old former midfielder has never made a secret of the fact he doesn’t like the current Hearts manager.

While Levein has no issue with Stewart or anyone else voicing their opinion, he is disappointed with the BBC Scotland for allowing someone who has clearly stated he doesn’t like him to then be allowed such an elevated platform with the national broadcaster to analyse his work and, by extension, “whip up” sections of the Hearts support against him.

The manager doesn’t believe it is a coincidence that Stewart – a prominent radio pundit on Sportsound and a television analyst for Sportscene – has been his most vociferous media critic since he returned to Tynecastle in 2014, initially as director of football. “Just because Michael says something, it doesn’t mean that we are doing everything wrong,” said Levein. “It is personal with Michael and he is just making a fool of himself. I don’t particularly like him and I hear he doesn’t like me. I’m actually not that bothered about Michael or what he says but I am annoyed at the BBC. For him to admit that he has an agenda and for them to still allow him the platform, for me, that is a nonsense.

“He is trying to whip up fans and, as I say, it is the BBC. They have allowed him that opportunity but I have had a conversation so we will see what happens. I have spoken to (BBC Radio Scotland editor) Tom Connor and we will see what happens. The details of the conversation will remain between Tom and I.”

While Levein was generally in lighthearted mood when discussing his nemesis, it is clear he felt a personal vendetta was at play after he was alerted to Stewart’s comments on Sportsound last Saturday evening in the aftermath of the goalless draw with Ross County. Stewart was clearly bemused with the manager’s upbeat post-match interview in which he played down the suggestion that a lot of fans had booed Hearts off and insisted his team had “played some really good football and created loads of chances”. The pundit described the claims as “bizarre” amid a scathing analysis of Levein’s three-month tenure as manager.

“Somebody drew my attention to what he was saying after the game on Saturday, when we played well and had all those chances, and it got to the point where I thought ‘listen, if he can’t accept that and is still trying to pick holes in it, for me, it comes back to the BBC allowing him to do that’. That is more worrying than what he’s actually saying,” said the former Scotland manager.

“Someone was telling me that he was trawling about on Saturday night trying to find stuff on the internet to prove that we hadn’t played well. It is hysterical. He just needs to chill. He’s going to self-combust one day, that’s for sure. He thinks he is doing his best for Hearts and I am certainly trying to do my best for Hearts.

“Listen, it is a bit of frivolity for me here – I probably shouldn’t get involved. But on a serious note, I do think that if someone has admitted that they have an agenda, to then give them a platform to continue to rant... I’m not at any point saying that I don’t deserve any criticism. I have had more criticism than most, particularly during my time at Scotland, but criticism of me at that time was valid. But when he has admitted he has an agenda and keeps going on about the same stuff over and over and over again, I just don’t see how that is fair. I just don’t get it. The BBC, for me, have always been a company that plays it straight down the middle. He doesn’t like me, he’s said that. He’s openly admitted it, and I don’t like him. I can take criticism if it’s fair and it’s based on something other than a grudge.”

Stewart started three matches and made six substitute appearances under Levein in the first three months of the 2004/05 season before the manager left to take over at Leicester City. Stewart then had two seasons with Hibs before returning to Hearts for a second spell in 2007, which lasted for three years and encompassed 100 games. The Edinburgh-born player was handed the captaincy by Csaba Laszlo at the start of what would be his final season at Hearts. Reflecting on his time as Stewart’s manager, Levein said: “All I can say about Michael is that his agent at the time was George Wright, who used to play here (for Hearts). We didn’t have any money at the time but George said that Man United would cover his salary. But we had to put something on the contract so it was £1 a week and, without doubt, it was the worst value for money I have ever had from any player, and that is a fact.”

That quote about him being terrible value at £1 a week is legendary.  About time he came out fighting.

Folk getting excited about Levein dig on poor value. Bloody hell!!! We’ve had terrific value right enough from the shite he’s signed off over the last 3 years.

deflection tactics and nothing else from Levein. Pressure is getting to him. MS isn’t influencing fans in anyway with his comments,. 

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

I agree, there is clearly something personal between the two but it’s still Embarassing from Levein, not befitting the manager and a director of Heart of Midlothian. He should have relied on results and performances to do his talking for him. This is a deflection tactic imo and he has got the exact reaction he would have expected, from the people who can see him do no wrong. 

He he has to accept the wasting of thousands and thousands of pounds, especially when the club is constantly asking the supporters for more money, his appointment of Ian Cathro, performance of the team and ultimately results leaves him wide open to this criticism. 

Yet he has done plenty of good things as well and there are plenty on here..  like completely restructuring the youth side of the club. We are well on track to recoup the benefits of that..  and the core point here..  we did play well last week, .. I've seen hundreds of worse performances from  hearts from so cslled popular managers whod never have been criticised in the same way.. we were decent and unlucky not to take the point 

Yes i agree Cathro was a big ****ing mistake, retaining him for so long and signing his players.. and it has cost us.. 

4 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Bit embarrasing really. Playground stuff. One has a job talking about football matches and where games were won and lost. The other has a job to put a team out to win games. 

I know whos doing a better job and its the one who showed a bit of bottle at Hearts.

Actions speak louder than words. Levein is losing respect imo - imagine complaining about what someone says! This is below any Hearts Manager - a big boy hit me and ran away........

Pathetic stuff from Levein. Lets see you put your energy into repairing the massive mess you have put us in - and then the pundits will have nothing to moan about (just like the rest of us)

8 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He is not more of a PHM than me nor my father who saw his first Hearts game in 1943. He also falls well,,,well short of Gary Mackay, Robbo or Henry Smith as being ex players who are PHM. I don't get the love-in with Levein in here. 

Michael Stewart criticised Cathro from the outset and was proved correct and he is also correct when calling out Levein and  his inability to beat Rangers, Killie,  Patrick or Ross Cty.  Video evidence proves Stewart correct and it's up to Levein to do his job or step aside 

Stewart criticised Gary Locke and Robbie Neilson too, so basically he dislikes every Hearts manager. 

However, his personal dislike of Levein is overshadowing any sort of perspective. I listened to BBC right after the game last week, I came out of that game thinking that the performance was a huge improvement and couldn't believe we hadn't won the game by at least a couple of goals. 

Enter Mikey Stewart who claimed that Ross County were the better team, outplayed Herts and should have won the game, absolute piffle. 

He has no objectivity when it comes to Levein and therefore no credibility 

12 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Deflection? I think his actions will bring more scrutiny on performance.  

Having listened to Stewart after last weeks game, i'd be really uncomfortable backing his position over CL. 

Very pleased with Craig Levein's comments. MS has made valid points in the past, and it would be wrong to say we've been playing well; we clearly haven't been. We were decent last week though, and there are signs it's getting better. Michael Stewart's constant batterings are becoming weird.

I suspect that it wouldn't matter if we did start winning and playing brilliantly- some people just don't like Levein and that's that. Personally, I have no problem with him and I hope he turns us round. Results haven't been good but he has brought us back to being harder to beat. We need to get to the next stage of actually winning. I don't doubt we will.

Incidentally, anyone who has a go at Craig Levein for not winning a trophy should be ignored forever in my opinion. If Levein is no good for that reason then so is John Colquhoun, Gary MacKay and John Robertson, who really only won the cup by being an unused sub. All of those were superb players. 

The usual disloyal forum hoppers stinking the place out as usual trying to out seethe each other.

Precious wee souls.

Mikey Stewart is a welt and couldn't lace CLs boots.

His opinion is worthless. Like his playing style.

kingantti1874
Just now, Bozi said:

Stewart criticised Gary Locke and Robbie Neilson too, so basically he dislikes every Hearts manager. 

However, his personal dislike of Levein is overshadowing any sort of perspective. I listened to BBC right after the game last week, I came out of that game thinking that the performance was a huge improvement and couldn't believe we hadn't won the game by at least a couple of goals. 

Enter Mikey Stewart who claimed that Ross County were the better team, outplayed Herts and should have won the game, absolute piffle. 

This.. couldn't believe my ears.. watched the Celtic Ross county game the week before.. county defended incredibly deep in that game also.. we created more against them than Celtic did.. this is a fact.. anyone denying it is an arse

47 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You can't be serious.. how old are you.. probably the best centre back ever to pull on the shirt..was an absolute privilege to see him play..

This is a general comment so solely directed at you: some of the comments on here are somewhere between and absolute disgrace and complete lunacy..  what a shameful way to talk about a club legend. Embarrssing

He was a fantastic player without doubt. I had the privilege of seeing him play regularly from 1983 onwards. However, that is an irrelevance to today's debate and what he has done for the club. I was merely pointing out that he is not a winner.  There is absolutely no disgrace in any of the comments made on here or indeed by Michael Stewart. In fact the comments made on this board about Gary Mackay are far worse, and more personally abusive, simply for having the audacity to criticise the running the club. Mackay has made more appearances for our great club than anyone in history and was and still is, a fanatical supporter.  He is every bit as much a PHM , and more, than Levein but the same posters that throw a ring of cotton wool around CL hurl abuse at him. Most of the comments in here are genuine, measured criticism of Levein , his style of play and his involvememt as DOF in " all footballing matters over the last few years. That is deserving of criticism imo and hiding behind this club legend stuff does not help the club. I feel he has embarrassed both himself and the club with his latest comments.

3 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Can’t quite believe what I’m reading here.

Levein was a core part of the last Hearts team that will ever get as close to a cup and league double.

And his career was cut short by an injury when some if England’s bestr clubs were after him.

He would have won plenty without the injury with us or more likely a much bigger team.

What a disgraceful pile of shit to post about a genuine club legend.

Cheers. He has still won nothing in his career as player and manager 

The is simply a fact 

5 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Bit embarrasing really. Playground stuff. One has a job talking about football matches and where games were won and lost. The other has a job to put a team out to win games. 

I know whos doing a better job and its the one who showed a bit of bottle at Hearts.

Yeah, every time Mickey passed to the advertising hoardings and then blamed Ian Black, all I could think was: “wow, what bottle”. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

He was a fantastic player without doubt. I had the privilege of seeing him play regularly from 1983 onwards. However, that is an irrelevance to today's debate and what he has done for the club. I was merely pointing out that he is not a winner.  There is absolutely no disgrace in any of the comments made on here or indeed by Michael Stewart. In fact the comments made on this board about Gary Mackay are far worse, and more personally abusive, simply for having the audacity to criticise the running the club. Mackay has made more appearances for our great club than anyone in history and was and still is, a fanatical supporter.  He is every bit as much a PHM , and more, than Levein but the same posters that throw a ring of cotton wool around CL hurl abuse at him. Most of the comments in here are genuine, measured criticism of Levein , his style of play and his involvememt as DOF in " all footballing matters over the last few years. That is deserving of criticism imo and hiding behind this club legend stuff does not help the club. I feel he has embarrassed both himself and the club with his latest comments.

Michael Stewart's comments are a disgrace because they are lies.. his opinion on the game last week was ridiculous. Nowhere close to reality. 

Ps my previous post should have said. "Not directed at you" missed the key word

2 minutes ago, alanjambo said:

Very pleased with Craig Levein's comments. MS has made valid points in the past, and it would be wrong to say we've been playing well; we clearly haven't been. We were decent last week though, and there are signs it's getting better. Michael Stewart's constant batterings are becoming weird.

I suspect that it wouldn't matter if we did start winning and playing brilliantly- some people just don't like Levein and that's that. Personally, I have no problem with him and I hope he turns us round. Results haven't been good but he has brought us back to being harder to beat. We need to get to the next stage of actually winning. I don't doubt we will.

Incidentally, anyone who has a go at Craig Levein for not winning a trophy should be ignored forever in my opinion. If Levein is no good for that reason then so is John Colquhoun, Gary MacKay and John Robertson, who really only won the cup by being an unused sub. All of those were superb players. 

No good as MANAGER.  No one is criticising their playing ability but none of them were winners. Levein is not a winner as a manager simply because he is too cautious and feart in big games. His record proves that.

I’ve criticised Levein a lot recently but that is a belting statement. 

The last paragraph: savage, as the kids would say. 

Walter Bishop
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Spot on. ??

Walter Bishop
8 minutes ago, Bozi said:

You never heard Stewart on the radio or watched Sportscene, did you? 

kingantti1874

I kind of credit levein with dundee United's SC win.. was undoubtedly his team .. who'd performed amazingly all season.. so well.in fact he was the unanimous choice for Scotland boss.. 

3 minutes ago, Spencer said:

The is simply a fact 

So?

Here's a list of Paulo Sergio's top level trophies before coming to hearts;

List over 

42 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

Watch this Crew turn against Anne as soon as Craig is gone.

Some of these so called Hearts fans need to take a good long look at themselves.

Some of them have already turned against Ann... as “embarrassing” as that is to accept. We have some myopic ‘supporters’ in our ranks.

ToadKiller Dog

Yeah winning a trophy should have been a doddle for Levein at Hearts  between 2000 to, 2004 and dundee united, 2006,to 2009 clearly cheating old Rangers were weak as were Celtic. 

In those years only 1 scottish cup (hearts)  and 2 league cups (Livi and Hibs) were not won by the uglies. 

Results in Europe and 3rd place finishes 

Loser manager because he couldn't match celtic with Larsen or dead rangers tax dodge years. 

9 minutes ago, Spencer said:

The is simply a fact 

Had Robbo not been about for 97-98, you could have said the same about him.  

Also, worth considering CL's minor injury problems, fair to say they had some impact on his playing career. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Walter Bishop said:

You never heard Stewart on the radio or watched Sportscene, did you? 

It was bizarre.. county barely made it out of their own 18 yard box and stewartvwas moaning about us not getting in behind .. and county showing the only quality.. lies lies lies.. and hes was backed up by that irrelevant test Alan Preston who wasn't even at the game

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Calls Levein a loser for never winning a medal, then heralds Gary MacKay as the standard barer because he’s made the most appearances in a Hearts top. :lol:

kingantti1874

Is levein not the only hearts manager to achieve back to back 3rd places.. achieved at a time when there was absolutely no possibility of getting anywhere near rangers and Celtic. 

I used to play against Stewart in my youth and he was a billy big baws, really arrogant. I think he carried that into his professional career, not necessarily a bad thing at the top level but he was always going to make enemies.

Generally been a decent pundit but his stuff on Levein has clearly been personal and certainly not objective enough. They dont get on which is again fine but  Levein is right to call it out, especially at the “independent” BBC.

edit: Good to see Levein hasn’t gone soft too!

9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No good as MANAGER.  No one is criticising their playing ability but none of them were winners. Levein is not a winner as a manager simply because he is too cautious and feart in big games. His record proves that.

I was devastated when we beat Braga to qualify for the UC group stages, and beating Bordeaux in France was just such a loser thing to do too.

People on here backing some crocodile faced, tango pubed welt, over our own Manager. 

:vrface:

Get your priorities right ffs. :mad:

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

His record at hearts is consecutive 3rd place finishes and the Europa league group stages .. something no one before or after has achieved.. his record at dundee United was great over a few years with a small budget .. so good in fact their fans regard him as their best manager since Jim McLean. So good that he was poached without interview for the national job.. and the players he brought through made them millions.. 

His record stands up against anyone we've had as manager.. this is fact.. not an opinion

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

People on here backing some crocodile faced, tango pubed welt, over our own Manager. 

100% this, back your manager people ffs

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Why does anyone have to take sides?

Stewart has an agenda. Within that agenda is some truth, viz the problems he diagnosed within the team, which weren't rocket science to be fair. Levein destroying him in the press conference is funny and will hopefully silence him slightly but it doesn't relieve the main task in hand - turning this wreck of a football team around.

8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I would have preferred that he never played for Hearts.  The issue is that one of the world's top managers allowed him to go for £1 a week so he must really have valued him.  I think not.

You could not sign a loan player from Edinburgh City for a pittance like that.  Fergie never got many wrong

Who signed him for Hearts,? I'm sure at that time there was no D.o.F. landing players on the manager?

What was that signing based on?

2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Stewart has an agenda. Within that agenda is some truth, viz the problems he diagnosed within the team, which weren't rocket science to be fair. Levein destroying him in the press conference is funny and will hopefully silence him slightly but it doesn't relieve the main task in hand - turning this wreck of a football team around.

They don't, but I shouldn't be seen trying to justify what that rocket Stewart says. 

Levein will turn this around, Stewarts agenda is fanning the flames against Levein from within the support. 

Honestly, Michael Stewart is a nasty piece of shite who is trying to undermine this club. 

**** him and all that sail with that roaster.

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It won't silence him and it shouldn't silence him either, he's a pundit and has every right to call it as he sees it, the only thing that will silence him or get him to change his tune is if Levein turns this mess he's created around, I can't see that happening though.

31 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

The usual disloyal forum hoppers stinking the place out as usual trying to out seethe each other.

Precious wee souls.

Mikey Stewart is a welt and couldn't lace CLs boots.

His opinion is worthless. Like his playing style.

What if we get beat the day?CL said something funny, all is forgiven. 

Archived