Levein on Mikey Stewart

Wilo

7 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Hearts chief Craig Levein says it is his recruitment and not Ian Cathro’s coaching that has caused decline

The Tynecastle director of football insists he deserves a share of the blame.

Now give a quote from levein where he says anything about "his" recruitment instead of just recruitment needs to be better. 

I'll give you a clue- there's nothing there, the journalist added that word.

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Hearts chief Craig Levein says it is his recruitment and not Ian Cathro’s coaching that has caused decline

The Tynecastle director of football insists he deserves a share of the blame.

From Robbie Neilson in August:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/craig-levein-did-exactly-what-a-director-of-football-is-supposed-to-do/

Levein admitted Cathro appointment was a mistake:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/craig-levein-takes-responsibility-for-ian-cathro-appointment-1-4545800/amp

Fly the Saltire
24 minutes ago, GloriousHeartz said:

Mikey Stewart is right in everything that he has said. CL going on about two transfer windows etc like he had nothing to do with the signings of the previous managers. This team is his team. He sacked the very man he hired and then we couldn't afford a replacement. Don't be fooled that we couldnt find the right person more like we couldn't find the right person who would operate in the peculiar setting as what we have now.  Also we're was everyone today, I thought we had sold enough season tickets to fill the ground! This is awful. I actually fear for our season.

This

Stewart’s punditry career is going a bit like his playing career did. Plenty of natural ability but unable to use it in a positive way. Can’t help himself. Lost all credibility as far as the current regime’s concerned a long time ago and best ignored (not that everything’s going well or anything). 

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, tolcross lad said:

For a DOF to allow a complete novice that amount of leeway would be wrong.

Levein does not appear to agree with you.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-chief-craig-levein-says-10528900

I thought he was a stubborn control freak? I struggle to keep up.

Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

I thought he was a stubborn control freak? I struggle to keep up.

I never said he was a stubborn control freak.This link provides some evidence that Levein has had quite a say in recruitment at least in the January 2017 window.Cathro was appointed in Dec 2016 and Levein gave this interview in May 2017.

I happen to believe that a DOF should take a strong hand in recruitment as its one of the most important activities at a football club.It certainly not a job to left to apprentices or complete novices.Its the fans money that is being spent.If Levein had left it to Neilson and Cathro to get on with it more fool he but it looks like he was heavily involved in at least one window.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-chief-craig-levein-says-10528900

1 hour ago, GloriousHeartz said:

Don't get it? Explain it to me? 

You’re a pant wetter or a Hibs fan. Likely to becboth. Jog on back to hibs net. 

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

It took the intervention of said sack to install some passion into us.

Oh good now we had passion 

1 hour ago, Hearts lad said:

They both told the Director of Football where they needed to strengthen and Levein gave them the choice to sign the player he identified or not, if it was yes then it made them a Robbie or Cathro signing because as Levein said "they chose what players they wanted". 

You are talking pish.

12 minutes ago, Hearts lad said:

Just because you know Heehaw doesn't make it wrong Walter. 

I'm going by a direct quote from Neilson where he explained how it worked. You are going by your own imagination.

GloriousHeartz
45 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

You’re a pant wetter or a Hibs fan. Likely to becboth. Jog on back to hibs net. 

I'm neither, jog on Koolkeith.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Now give a quote from levein where he says anything about "his" recruitment instead of just recruitment needs to be better. 

I'll give you a clue- there's nothing there, the journalist added that word.

Outstanding Smithee! These clump of dullards are quoting news stories they haven't read. 

Nelly Terraces

Hearts are shite.

Pundit says Hearts are shite.

Hearts manager (or is that head coach...or Director of Football?) gets upset & tries to deflect from fact Hearts are totally shite.

Gullible idiots believe manager is good guy & pundit has... AN AGENDA!!1!1!

True story.

9 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Hearts are shite.

Hearts manager (or is that head coach...or Director of Football?) gets upset & tries to deflect from fact Hearts are totally shite.

True story.

Sounds like a Christmas Fairy tale penned by one C.Levein. Sure to be a best seller down Gorgie way. Well said Nelly.

15 hours ago, frankblack said:

You are just making stuff up to suit your anti-Levein agenda, which I suspect dates back to before he became DOF.

Neilson has stated in interviews since leaving Hearts that he chose the players.  So you think the DOF should tell the manager who to sign and overrule them - you are contradicting yourself.

Someone posted a quote here recently, maybe not this thread, from Levein, from when the Budge era started.  

In in it he says, he and his scouts will identify and source the players.  That meant the Head Coah could concentrate on coaching the players and preparing for games, rather than spend time travelling around be country watching signings.  That is why they are Head Coach and not Manager.  

9 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Someone posted a quote here recently, maybe not this thread, from Levein, from when the Budge era started.  

In in it he says, he and his scouts will identify and source the players.  That meant the Head Coah could concentrate on coaching the players and preparing for games, rather than spend time travelling around be country watching signings.  That is why they are Head Coach and not Manager.  

And since then every head coach has confirmed that they had the final say on who came in

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

And since then every head coach has confirmed that they had the final say on who came in

They also all said Levein didn’t pass notes or enter the dressing room, then said he did, it was normal, and they were happy for this, so they can tap into his knowledge and experience.   So it is not the first contradiction.  

Just now, Paolo said:

They also all said Levein didn’t pass notes or enter the dressing room, then said he did, it was normal, and they were happy for this, so they can tap into his knowledge and experience.   So it is not the first contradiction.  

At the end of the day some are choosing the version that suits the **** Levein movement, some are choosing to support the Hearts manager. There really isn't any point in going over it again and again, both sides understand each other perfectly I think

Just now, Smithee said:

At the end of the day some are choosing the version that suits the **** Levein movement, some are choosing to support the Hearts manager. There really isn't any point in going over it again and again, both sides understand each other perfectly I think

Fair enough.   I agree and have already said Levein had a right to speak out.  

42 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Fair enough.   I agree and have already said Levein had a right to speak out.  

Let me put my position across.  I remember what Levein did in his previous spell as manager, with a solid team that regularly qualified for Europe and got us to the Europa Group stages.

I am giving him a chance and that requires the opportunity to sort out the squad in the transfer window.  Others have plain blind hatred for him and have no solutions other than sack him and hope for the best.  I think that is flawed beyond belief.

As for MS, its clear they fell out when he played under Craig, and likes to take a pop whenever he can through the media.  Craig has a right to defend himself.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Yup. And CL went out of his way on RNs departure to say so - but he is never asked about who is doing the scouting and why we consistently  fail in this area. It is meaningless to say the head coach had the "final say" because all he is getting is to chose what is put in front of him - and often it is clearly not much of a choice. CL chose his words carefully.  The note passing comments speak for themselves.  I'm not a CL hater but he needs to get the monkey off his back and produce results.  The next time CL says he needs a couple of windows to sort out the team I hope he is asked - well, how the hell was Cathro expected to deliver anything if YOU need two windows to sort it ? Why sack him ? Why was NOTHING done in the summer to at least start to address these shortcomings ?  Why is CL getting two windows to sort this out but Cathro was simply sacked ?  CL needs to stop whining and wind his neck him. it's his pet project and it isn't delivering no mater what he says to the BBC about MS . 

21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Let me put my position across.  I remember what Levein did in his previous spell as manager, with a solid team that regularly qualified for Europe and got us to the Europa Group stages.

I am giving him a chance and that requires the opportunity to sort out the squad in the transfer window.  Others have plain blind hatred for him and have no solutions other than sack him and hope for the best.  I think that is flawed beyond belief.

As for MS, its clear they fell out when he played under Craig, and likes to take a pop whenever he can through the media.  Craig has a right to defend himself.

This is where I am, I remember Levein in charge last time he

1 took an underperforming group of players and made them hard to beat

2 cleared our the "wage theives"

3 Assembled a squad that was competitive 

4 improved us year on year 

5 led us to some very impressive European results 

Sure the football was dire to watch at times but it got results. At the moment he has only had time to implement stage 1, let's give him time to redress the imbalanced squad before we judge him a failure 

Abiding memory of Mikey Stewart is at a Scotland U21 v Norn Ireland game at Love Street yonks ago. Must have been when he was still benchwarming at ManU reserves. He was sent off for chucking the ball at the referee. And it wisnae an accident.

Herts is and has been in common use for as long as I remember, auld Scots slang obviously,

both my grandfathers who both followed Hearts before WW1 always referred to “The Herts”

always baffles me when ever I hear this questioned, what kind of Hearts fan has never heard it ?, FFS I must hear c’mon the Herts at least 20 times every game.

45 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Just putting this out here.

Is Hertz Or Heartz not a Hibs term?

May be wrong like.

Herts is and has been in common use for as long as I remember, auld Scots slang obviously,

both my grandfathers who both followed Hearts before WW1 always referred to “The Herts”

always baffles me when ever I hear this questioned, what kind of Hearts fan has never heard it ?, FFS I must hear c’mon the Herts at least 20 times every game.

50 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Just putting this out here.

Is Hertz Or Heartz not a Hibs term?

May be wrong like.

It certainly is a Hibs term Morgan. 

Just say it to yourself slowly and you'll realise how Chav it sounds. Could only be Hibs. 

3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Yes jbee, I know all that.

It’s the use of the letter ‘z’ that I refer to.

15 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Hearts are shite.

True story.

:spoton:

3 hours ago, Bozi said:

This is where I am, I remember Levein in charge last time he

1 took an underperforming group of players and made them hard to beat

2 cleared our the "wage theives"

3 Assembled a squad that was competitive 

4 improved us year on year 

5 led us to some very impressive European results 

Sure the football was dire to watch at times but it got results. At the moment he has only had time to implement stage 1, let's give him time to redress the imbalanced squad before we judge him a failure 

The man is out of touch with the requirements of the modern game. The game has changed immeasurably over the last 15 years.  A manager also has to be able to "man manage" players and Levein does not have the right character traits for that. I just wonder what the players have made of this weekend's events where he is blaming everyone from Michael Stewart, Martin Canning and Bobby Madden rather than accept some of the responsibility himself. His previous managerial spell is totally irrelevant when compared to his performance over the last couple of years.

Just now, jambogemz said:

It certainly is a Hibs term Morgan. 

Just say it to yourself slowly and you'll realise how Chav it sounds. Could only be Hibs. 

Thank you. :thumb:

I knew it was and was just having a wee ‘tongue in cheek’ dig at a poster on this thread with the ‘z’ thing in his name!

Coupled with the low post count I just got a wee bitty suspicious :mellow:

59 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

jbee?

If you'd noticed the spelling I had used you wouldn't have had to ask that question of me. I'm sure you do hear 'Herts' being shouted at least 20 times every game and I'm equally sure that in my lifetime I've heard "Herts' being shouted literally thousands of times but, and it's a big but, there is no escaping from the fact that the Hobos spell it with a Z.

Big difference. :thumbsup:

MacDonald Jardine
23 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Our support is not split. There are about 14,000 normal fans and there’s a wee group of weirdos who spend their days looking for any opportunity to put down “their own team” (the bit in quotes being up for debate).

Proper fans defend their club instead of attacking it.

Proper fans defend their club no matter what, even on an internet forum designed for discussion with other fans?

That's just nonsense. 

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

I'm with Frank

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Proper fans defend their club no matter what, even on an internet forum designed for discussion with other fans?

That's just nonsense. 

Exactly. By defending the club does he mean the club or the board and or manager? If he means people in charge of the club then he presumably supported Chris Robinson and would have been quite happy pitching up at Murrayfield to watch home games .

Think Levein has been very lucky that the demise of football journalism means the media have been very easy on him.  It is all stuff about the last couple of matches.

No one has gone through the record of was said was going to be done and what has actually happened.

- continuity vs 50+players used

- developing players for sale - 1 sold from over 30 signed

- succession model for head coaches - ignored twice

- the football model played all the way through the club- just looking at the different types of forwards signed shows there's no system

He's also never been taken to task over what on earth he saw in Cathro - and then why he threw Cathro under the bus.  Nobody has asked why MacPhee (who must have one of the worst records for an assistant manager) wasn't binned and then was to be imposed on any new manager.

All roads lead to Gorgie
18 minutes ago, jimbo99 said:

That highlights edit was put together to show Hearts in the worst possible light.

Very much so. We were made to look the dirty team and the highlights were all Hamilton. Where was the snapshot just passed the post by Malincovic for instance. ?

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

Here here. 

HillmanHearts
13 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

People still trying to pretend that Levein had no control over recruitment :facepalm:

Nobody is naive enough to think that Levein had "no control" over recruitment but I believe he signed guys that Cathrow wanted despite Craig having reservations about their suitability for Hearts and Scottish football. I think he felt that he had to back Cathrow at the time. He offered advice which at times was not taken but at the end of the day he felt he had to support Cathro's vision. So yes he is culpable but the whole Cathrow experiment was a huge mistake - in retrospect !! And Btw Mike Stewart has a massive agenda - and is loving the attention. 

Michael Stewart - Think we got one good season out of 4 from him. True pro...

In between, well he signed for the Hibees...PHM.

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Michael Stewart - Think we got one good season out of 4 from him. True pro...

In between, well he signed for the Hibees...PHM.

And how does that impact on our performances this season?

6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

And how does that impact on our performances this season?

The topic of the thread is Levein and Stewart

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly. By defending the club does he mean the club or the board and or manager? If he means people in charge of the club then he presumably supported Chris Robinson and would have been quite happy pitching up at Murrayfield to watch home games .

You’re comparing the robinson regime to the budge one?

yeah that’s sensible.

HillmanHearts
9 hours ago, frankblack said:

Well put.

I'm in the same boat.

Archived