Levein is not the answer ( merged )

Hood09

Lucille's Thirsty
1 hour ago, Hall said:

Didn't Cathro sign Berra and Laff or are we just picking and choosing now? So anyone decent CL signed and all the dross was Cathro? Amazing how CL can do no wrong for some. 

In what world would Cathro attract players like Berra and Lafferty? 

I didn’t say of CL’s signings have been good did I?  CL has done something’s wrong I haven’t stated anything to the contrary. You can’t expect CL to come in after Cathro’s shambolic reign and expect him to deliver. I’m willing to give CL another full season before judging him. His football is poor but once again we have no midfield.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• soonbe110

• Hendricks

• Escobar PHM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

So what ? You've a track record for poor responses to every opinion that doesn't match your own. We see it here day after day after day. You stated in another thread we'd be challenging for second next season under Levein. I'm still laughing my tits off at it. I bet he's not head coach by Christmas ??

So what? You just tried to claim it was a balanced post praising him and criticising him in equal parts. Although I see you’ve now moved on to changing the subject.

3 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

In what world would Cathro attract players like Berra and Lafferty? 

I didn’t say of CL’s signings have been good did I?  CL has done something’s wrong I haven’t stated anything to the contrary. You can’t expect CL to come in after Cathro’s shambolic reign and expect him to deliver. I’m willing to give CL another full season before judging him. His football is poor but once again we have no midfield.

He had 5 weeks after Cathro left and Jan to sort midfield but chose not to. Others team such as Rangers, Hibs and Killie made good signing in jan why can't we? Plenty are quick enough on here to defend CL by saying he let Cathro sign the players he wanted yet many like you are crediting CL for signing the good ones even tho Cathro was still there. It's like Rangers going bust they pick all the good things to keep yet anything toxic is nowt to do with them.  Not sure Cathro would have been involved in handing out 3 yr deals to pish like Martin and Sammon etc. 

If we'd brought in an external manager I'm sure myself and many others would have more patience but CL has overseen this whole thing. We've had anything but continuity over the last 3 years or so something the DOF role is supposed to bring and here we are awaiting yet another mass rebuild in the summer. 

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

In all honesty no point in sackin CL “right now” and have another manager walk into an honestly below average squad. I would have CL & all the coaching staff sacked in the summer have a complete overhaul then and then at that point bring a new manager with a fresh start going into next season Steve Clarke of course the ideal candidate. 

1 minute ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

In all honesty no point in sackin CL “right now” and have another manager walk into an honestly below average squad. I would have CL & all the coaching staff sacked in the summer have a complete overhaul then and then at that point bring a new manager with a fresh start going into next season Steve Clarke of course the ideal candidate. 

Spot on

Lucille's Thirsty
3 minutes ago, Hall said:

He had 5 weeks after Cathro left and Jan to sort midfield but chose not to. Others team such as Rangers, Hibs and Killie made good signing in jan why can't we? Plenty are quick enough on here to defend CL by saying he let Cathro sign the players he wanted yet many like you are crediting CL for signing the good ones even tho Cathro was still there. It's like Rangers going bust they pick all the good things to keep yet anything toxic is nowt to do with them.  Not sure Cathro would have been involved in handing out 3 yr deals to pish like Martin and Sammon etc. 

If we'd brought in an external manager I'm sure myself and many others would have more patience but CL has overseen this whole thing. We've had anything but continuity over the last 3 years or so something the DOF role is supposed to bring and here we are awaiting yet another mass rebuild in the summer. 

Once again Levein has made some major mistakes when in DOF role. But we are on about the managerial side to it now. He has to be given a full pre season to build a team and if results are the same next year then I will be calling for his head. I’m not pro Levein but when Hibs, Rangers and Kilmarnock are buying players they’ve not got a new main stand that’s just been built. That for me is affecting the player budget. For every Lafferty and Naismith there’s a Randall or Michael Smith a total gulf in quality there. 

Edited by Lucille's Thirsty

Has anyone even considered that Steve Clark could have a total mare next season, and that Levein could have a great season? 

scott herbertson
42 minutes ago, Elmore said:

The Celtic game I'll give you. But to include the Hibs game as further proof of 'overall' progress is more than stretching it. I hope he more than gets it right. I just wish he would go about it differently. I would include off the pitch as well.  Playing to the gallery after one 1-0  home win to an average Hibs side is clutching at baws.  Or at least wait until he's/we've produced a wee bit more. With the new stand it's a wonderful time for the club to grow.  What we don't need is a style of football that is going to drive fans away  This whole season feels like the Gary Locke St Mirren league game.  The one fans came out in force to save the club. Right now it just feels as flat as it did after that game.  Gutted right now. The fans also deserve better than 'give it time'.  We need something to go on just now.  At least let us us know what they're going to do and how they're going about it.  If they don't and get it wrong, the fans who don't attend between now and the end of the season might not come back.  

A wise man once said all you need is three things. Something to do, something to look after and something to look forward to. Right now the fans need the latter. 

I just meant that for some the inability to beat Hibs had become a barometer of lack of progress. He ticked it off. I don't disagree with most of the rest of your post. I especially agree on communications where we seem to have taken a step backwards.

It feels as if the whole club is exhausted after the stand completion exercise, and while that is understandable, we simply can't have a rest and need to continue to build on the playing side as well.

Lucille's Thirsty
7 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

I would love for that to happen, but in all realism if CL is moved from managers position he’ll be moved upstairs while Ann remains in charge.

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Has anyone even considered that Steve Clark could have a total mare next season, and that Levein could have a great season? 

Yep - the clamour for various managers when they have a run of success is definitely a Kickback special;ity - Hartley comes to mind..

merseyjambo
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

It takes a bit more than a few training sessions to turn around a squad that isn't match fit because they have worked on the ball at the expense of physical conditioning.  We did improve matters, but all our games were away from Tynecastle until late in the year due to the new stand.

Killie were not nearly as bad as us when Clarke took over if you look at the form table.  Your obsession with Clarke is misplaced because firstly it is highly unlikely he would have taken the job if he wants a permanent move back to England where his family is.  He is in the shop window with Killie.

Robbie Neilson has stated before, during, and after his tenure here that CL did not interfere - use your friend Google to find an interview.  However, I think CL did interfere during Cathro's reign as it was clear he was out of his depth.

Really, do you read any of the posts I have made.

I am obsessed with Steve Clarke. The comments in my post were the first I have mentioned him. Which were in direct response to your post about Leviens record and I compared his taking over the reins to Steve Clarke.

Personally I wouldn’t want Clarke as manager because he will look to go back down south. I’d rather look at bringing someone outside the box in. I didn’t want Tommy Wright either last summer FYI.

Killie weren’t as bad as us. Hahahahahaha. Do your research before spouting off. When they got rid of McCulloch they had 3 points after 8 games. We were nowhere near that bad. Maybe you should have used my friend google before you made a fool of yourself.

Clarkes management has gained then 40 points out of 63. They have got a squad player for player that isn’t as good as ours on a wage bill not near as comparable as ours. This is from a manager who has ‘failed’ down south but has a record that is currently urinating over our current manager. 

So so now it’s the new stands fault that we haven’t had a good season. You’ve already claimed it was Cathro’s fault. You really are ticking all the boxes in the Levein acolyte bingo card for excuses as to why we’ve had a poor season. You gonna go with injuries in your next post. 

We we have a coach that is defensively minded. We play one up front who rarely has support making him easy to play against. We have wingers stuck on the bench.

We are going to be 5 or 6 players down on our preferred starting 11 for next season.

Our scouting is a shambles. 

We we need to install a new pitch which will be another chunk out of our playing budget next season and because of his defensive tactics, we draw too many games and it cost us a financial boost failing to get to last 4 of Scottish Cup. 

On the playing side of the business we are regressing.

I won't be rushing to get tickets for any game next season with Levein in charge, brutal football, brutal tactics, brutal results.

No thank you.

Just now, scott herbertson said:

Yep - the clamour for various managers when they have a run of success is definitely a Kickback special;ity - Hartley comes to mind..

McGhee

Hartley

Murray

Cameron

Johnstone

McKinnon

Wright

I remember some people saying we should have went for Terry Butcher! :lol:

11 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Not many I suspect.

As I have said before on other threads, he was sacked from the two managerial jobs he had (WBA and Reading), did not get promoted in the Villa job when Di Mattio left and he also spent a year unemployed.  Why?

Now it may be that he has learned from these past experiences because he is certainly doing a good job so far at Killie but I'd be tempted to leave things a little longer before hailing him as a Messiah.

Edited by JamboAl

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I remember some people saying we should have went for Terry Butcher! :lol:

Good god no..

terryb.jpg

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

I would love for that to happen, but in all realism if CL is moved from managers position he’ll be moved upstairs while Ann remains in charge.

I agree and honestly CL has actually been worse as DOF than as a manager only need to look at his horredenous recruitment to see that. He’s probably likely to get at least until January of next season too as manager unfortunately.

Finlay James
3 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

You can't argue with the fact that he has won nothing as a senior player or manager. 

Id give up mate, you're clutching at straws, it means zero that to date, he was won nothing.

It also shows that you gave no clue what is being built behind the scenes at Hearts.

Lucille's Thirsty
Just now, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

I agree and honestly CL has actually been worse as DOF than as a manager only need to look at his horredenous recruitment to see that. He’s probably likely to get at least until January of next season too as manager unfortunately.

It seems we let people with no experience of a position just get on with it. Cathro and Levein as DOF. CL as DOF was juggling too many things IMO whilst at the same time learning. We can’t keep chopping and changing our manager and players it’s not a good thing. We’ve been declining for the last two years as are never settled. I can’t remember Hearts being as healthy as this off the field whilst being such a shambles on it.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not many I suspect.

As I have said before on other thread,. he was sacked from the two managerial jobs he had (WBA and Reading), did not get promoted in the Villa job when Di Mattio left and he also spent a year unemployed.  Why?

Now it may be that he has learned from these past experiences because he is certainly doing a good job so far at Killie but I'd be tempted to leave things a little longer before hailing him as a Messiah.

Enitially I wanted Steve Clarke, as manager when Ian Cathro was sacked reason being he supposedly had a very positive impact at Chelsea for 4 years and also with West Ham as assistant manager he has a wealth of knowledge learning from top managers at clubs such a short Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, & Newcastle. I also felt his sacking at WBA was undeserved very good attacking manager exactly what we need his experience as a player also is phenomenal.

3 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Id give up mate, you're clutching at straws, it means zero that to date, he was won nothing.

It also shows that you gave no clue what is being built behind the scenes at Hearts.

People are pushing for Steve Clarke.  What has he won?

Amusing, crap recruitment on one thread. All players recruited should be in the Scotland squad on another :rofl:

2 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Enitially I wanted Steve Clarke, as manager when Ian Cathro was sacked reason being he supposedly had a very positive impact at Chelsea for 4 years and also with West Ham as assistant manager he has a wealth of knowledge learning from top managers at clubs such a short Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, & Newcastle. I also felt his sacking at WBA was undeserved very good attacking manager exactly what we need his experience as a player also is phenomenal.

Ian Cathro was an assistant manager in Spain and Portugal and was also at Newcastle but that did not make him a good manager.

Enzo Chiefo
11 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Along with every other club in the world I would think. A manager doing a good job elsewhere is always going to be considered . Entirely normal i would say. What worries me on here is the amount of slack - 4 years now - that we give our DOF/Head Coach just because he was a great player 30 years ago and a reasonable manager 15 years ago. Very much a JKB thing.

Geoff the Mince
3 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Amusing, crap recruitment on one thread. All players recruited should be in the Scotland squad on another :rofl:

:cornette:

2 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Lol. How does it mean zero that he’s won nothing?!! What a complete nonsense. The fact he once again approached a massive cup game like a complete pussy last Sunday says everything about his mentality and character. He will never bring success to Tynecastle. Lennon, arsehole or otherwise has been around winning setups, knows what it is to win and knows how to approach big matches and it’s blatantly obvious that rubs off on his players. Levein has seen his Hearts teams routinely knocked out by small clubs like Ross County, ICT, Falkirk, Dundee, Kilmarnock and Motherwell. He’s not even been unlucky with draws and has only lost to Celtic and Rangers once a piece. The guy’s career is littered with letdown, disappointment and failure and that will certainly not change now given his age and how set in his ways he is. Hearts will continue to be also rans with him in the hot seat! 

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

People are pushing for Steve Clarke.  What has he won?

Scottish Cup winners medal in 1987 and has been involved with trophy winning teams , and top class managers, throughout the country.

merseyjambo
1 minute ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

It seems we let people with no experience of a position just get on with it. Cathro and Levein as DOF. CL as DOF was juggling too many things IMO whilst at the same time learning. We can’t keep chopping and changing our manager and players it’s not a good thing. We’ve been declining for the last two years as are never settled. I can’t remember Hearts being as healthy as this off the field whilst being such a shambles on it.

I think most fans agree with that sentiment but the problem is in the footballing department which has been his project since day one.

Maybe the first season after admin raised expectations but we have been a shambles in recruitment for 24 months. All on his watch with 3 different people in charge of team. We’ve built nothing and instead of adding that little bit of quality like Lafferty or Naismith, we are continually rebuilding a team. This summer is going to be no different. 

The only way that things will improve is to get him away from first team affairs and get a manager in. 

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
9 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

Absolutely I just feel that there are certain things that the club need to change in the summer if we have any real chance of moving forward and becoming a consistent top 4 club. Clearly have fantastic foundations to build on Its going to come down to anne making crucial and important descion’s at the correct time.

Edited by HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I just meant that for some the inability to beat Hibs had become a barometer of lack of progress. He ticked it off. I don't disagree with most of the rest of your post. I especially agree on communications where we seem to have taken a step backwards.

It feels as if the whole club is exhausted after the stand completion exercise, and while that is understandable, we simply can't have a rest and need to continue to build on the playing side as well.

The whole season has just been surreal. Cathro, Murrayfield etc. it should be written off as just one bad freak season. I'm yet to be convinced that Craig Levein has earned the benefit of doubt. The negative football and some of the other football  decisions have been a bit off the mark.  Obvious issues not being addressed over two years justifies the apprehension. This negative football hasn't just got us where we are this season, it's also got that lot where they are now.  Apart from the obvious, never has a forty five minutes of football been more costly to us than the second half of that cup game.  His 'if I knew that, I would've tried to win it' comment doesn't make me think this is going to change.  It will drive fans away. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

Lol. How does it mean zero that he’s won nothing?!! What a complete nonsense. The fact he once again approached a massive cup game like a complete pussy last Sunday says everything about his mentality and character. He will never bring success to Tynecastle. Lennon, arsehole or otherwise has been around winning setups, knows what it is to win and knows how to approach big matches and it’s blatantly obvious that rubs off on his players. Levein has seen his Hearts teams routinely knocked out by small clubs like Ross County, ICT, Falkirk, Dundee, Kilmarnock and Motherwell. He’s not even been unlucky with draws and has only lost to Celtic and Rangers once a piece. The guy’s career is littered with letdown, disappointment and failure and that will certainly not change now given his age and how set in his ways he is. Hearts will continue to be also rans with him in the hot seat! 

Can you tell us how many medals Alex Ferguson won as a player, out of interest? Jose Mourinho?

This nonsense of using his lack of winners medals as a player as a stick to beat Levein with is stupid. I accept he has not won a trophy as manager although in a lot of cases he has not been in a position to win one (Leicester, Scotland).

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Ian Cathro was an assistant manager in Spain and Portugal and was also at Newcastle but that did not make him a good manager.

Correct however Steve Clarke, has been manager of now 4 different clubs was Cathro a manager at any club? I’m not saying steve Clarke or no one i’m just saying hes a good candidate but of course there are always other options

Lucille's Thirsty
5 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I think most fans agree with that sentiment but the problem is in the footballing department which has been his project since day one.

Maybe the first season after admin raised expectations but we have been a shambles in recruitment for 24 months. All on his watch with 3 different people in charge of team. We’ve built nothing and instead of adding that little bit of quality like Lafferty or Naismith, we are continually rebuilding a team. This summer is going to be no different. 

The only way that things will improve is to get him away from first team affairs and get a manager in. 

I would love for Ann to get rid of Craig as I think it would give us a new lease of life. But I fully expect as you do that he’ll be in charge come August no matter what happens. The only thing I’m clinging onto here is that maybe he can get it right with a full summer of planning. Not holding my breath though.

Lucille's Thirsty
4 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Correct however Steve Clarke, has been manager of now 4 different clubs was Cathro a manager at any club? I’m not saying steve Clarke or no one i’m just saying hes a good candidate but of course there are always other options

I’m not so sure about that mate. How many are there that are much better than CL? Clarke’s had a good what couple of months. Name other candidates? Paulo Sergio? 

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
2 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

I would love for Ann to get rid of Craig as I think it would give us a new lease of life. But I fully expect as you do that he’ll be in charge come August no matter what happens. The only thing I’m clinging onto here is that maybe he can get it right with a full summer of planning. Not holding my breath though.

Spot on my thoughts exactly.

8 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Steve Clarke was manager of just two clubs.  He did also do a couple of short stints as caretaker at Newcastle and Villa but got neither job even although he was in situ.  Why?

40 minutes ago, Hall said:

Who did Killie sign after Clarke came in ?

34 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Owen Coyle, Tommy Wright also spring to mind

Sir Vladimir of Romanov

Craig is a loser, I bet everyone spouting that is a real winner in life. ?

18 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Can you tell us how many medals Alex Ferguson won as a player, out of interest? Jose Mourinho?

This nonsense of using his lack of winners medals as a player as a stick to beat Levein with is stupid. I accept he has not won a trophy as manager although in a lot of cases he has not been in a position to win one (Leicester, Scotland).

What?!! I’m not even talking about his career as a player!!! His managerial career is all that’s important to me. You might ask yourself the question why if he’s such a great manager nobody who could in your view win a trophy hasn’t appointed him!!! I’d hazard a guess it’s bevause he is widely disliked in footballing circles, killed his reputation at Leicester and subsequently Scotland and has very little of note on his CV to attract a club of any significant standing. He’s at Hearts due to his long standing relationship and because of Ann Budge’s infatuation with him. Nothing more nothing less, let’s not pretend otherwise. He won’t bring success as he never does. 

Lots of much smaller teams than Hearts have won trophies during Levein’s football career so are you just telling me he’s unlucky :laugh: rather than it having anything to do with is awful approach and largely negative mindset? Aye, that must be it, Levein’s just unlucky. Cup defeats to Ross County, ICT, Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Dundee and last week Motherwell, just unlucky as ****! Deary me. 

Edited by Hendricks

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

I’m not so sure about that mate. How many are there that are much better than CL? Clarke’s had a good what couple of months. Name other candidates? Paulo Sergio? 

I suppose it would depend on how Steve progresses next year. For me Paulo Sergio is in the past can’t seem to secure work recently speaks volumes. I’m sure if we were to really look into candidates there would probably be a few that would fit the bill. I’d be looking for an attacking manager that isn’t scared to press the opposition and obviously is far more successful recruitment wise which steve clarke has offered Kilmarnock he has a fantastic range of contacts from down south.

31 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not many I suspect.

As I have said before on other threads, he was sacked from the two managerial jobs he had (WBA and Reading), did not get promoted in the Villa job when Di Mattio left and he also spent a year unemployed.  Why?

For the umpteenth time people need to look at his record as a No.1 prior to Kilmarnock. Abject failure hence the 12--18 months he was out of work before Killie. Great coaching record. 

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Alan Archibald was another one

17 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Add Wenger to the list. 

40 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Surprised that there’s no clamour for us to go after Graeme Potter. 

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Steve Clarke was manager of just two clubs.  He did also do a couple of short stints as caretaker at Newcastle and Villa but got neither job even although he was in situ.  Why?

Add Kilmarnock to that list? teams down south very rarely like to appoint caretaker managers that were formerly the assistant.as I said i’m not saying Steve Clarke is the messiah i’m Just saying with his attacking form of football and his fantastic contacts he is a good fit for the SPL and in my opinion would be a nice fit at hearts next season however plenty options to explore “if” and that’s a big “if” CL was to be sacked.

Lucille's Thirsty
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Add Wenger to the list. 

Jurgen Klopp.

merseyjambo
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Who did Killie sign after Clarke came in ?

Some midfielder on loan from Villa, a loan defender from Wolves and I. Sure Mulumbu came in after he was appointed

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’d happily have taken Coyle at the time as he’d done a good job at smaller clubs so thought he might have been the ideal candidate. I now think that he’s like CL and had been out of being the clubs manager for so long his ideas and methods are outdated 

1 minute ago, Hall said:

Aaron Tshibola & Youssouf Mulumbu 

Didn’t really notice either at Tynie recently. I’m sure they are decent but I’d argue we brought in Mitchell who had a big impact on our performances. Similarly with Naismith. 

Lucille's Thirsty
6 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

I suppose it would depend on how Steve progresses next year. For me Paulo Sergio is in the past can’t seem to secure work recently speaks volumes. I’m sure if we were to really look into candidates there would probably be a few that would fit the bill. I’d be looking for an attacking manager that isn’t scared to press the opposition and obviously is far more successful recruitment wise which steve clarke has offered Kilmarnock he has a fantastic range of contacts from down south.

It’s all redundant tbh. Just need to hope CL can improve us.

• cosanostra locked this topic