Levein is not the answer ( merged )

Hood09

17 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

My expectations are that this club should be competing for 3rd spot in the league with a decent cup run or two. I recognise that we are pretty far removed from that but I have also seen this manager turn things around in one close season before. I am prepared to give him that.

Well you have either changed your tune, matured, or are a hypocrite - because I well remember the abuse and criticism you gave Levein when he lost 6 goals at Motherwell and was turning things around then.

Although you had little faith or confidence in him then, we finished third in the league.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• soonbe110

• Hendricks

• Escobar PHM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have won ONE league game more than Hamilton and Dundee, two clubs that have been fighting relegation all season.

Enzo Chiefo
6 hours ago, Eazy-me said:

Leveins turned us around since cathro but 1 loss isnt the end of the world

Haha haha. The football is every bit as bad this season as it was last...and CL has had the benefit of Berra, Lafferty and Naismith.  The axe has to fall before the end of the season to allow us to build again for August..

Leveins brand of football will never succeed in this league. Not that he has the players to execute his plans anyway.The problem is he cannot change his style and adapt to what is going on around him. All I see is a bunch of players running around like headless chickens, not really knowing what they're supposed to be doing, and, as a result, getting over run by very average teams at best.

25 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Leveins brand of football will never succeed in this league. Not that he has the players to execute his plans anyway.The problem is he cannot change his style and adapt to what is going on around him. All I see is a bunch of players running around like headless chickens, not really knowing what they're supposed to be doing, and, as a result, getting over run by very average teams at best.

I think they are awash with instructions about 'shape' from tactics guru MacPhee.  No spark, nothing off the cuff.  Constant tinkering with the team in order to combat overanalysed opposition strengths or frailties.

Nelly Terraces
4 hours ago, amadjambo said:

Surely he didn’t say he was pleased with the performance.

:cornette:

Probably was. No shots on target, slower than a snail & letting the oppo have the ball virtually unhindered. The Craig Levein way. The guys 'tactics' are fecking laughable.

All Out Attack
1 hour ago, Coco said:

I think they are awash with instructions about 'shape' from tactics guru MacPhee.  No spark, nothing off the cuff.  Constant tinkering with the team in order to combat overanalysed opposition strengths or frailties.

I was thinking something similar regarding MacPhee and I'm not really sure the in depth analysis is doing us any favours. I have anyways believed in playing to your own strengths and not worring too much about the opposition. 

If and when Levein goes, I suspect all the coaching staff underneath him will go too. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 hours ago, cuddledoon said:

Well you have either changed your tune, matured, or are a hypocrite - because I well remember the abuse and criticism you gave Levein when he lost 6 goals at Motherwell and was turning things around then.

Although you had little faith or confidence in him then, we finished third in the league.

I remember that night and I apologised for it a few weeks later. That was the night of David Dunn, IIRC. Never to be heard from again.

Good to see someone from ye olde Kickback. Who were you then?

3 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Leveins brand of football will never succeed in this league.

Levein has been a success in this league, with two different clubs previously.

Cruyff Turn
3 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Which is a valid point and one that much be acknowledged. 

34 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Depends how you measure success. Solely on league position? Cup performances? Euro qualifications? 

Apart from taking Utd to a LC final I can’t recall another significant cup run he’s had in his managerial career. 

ford donald
5 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Probably was. No shots on target, slower than a snail & letting the oppo have the ball virtually unhindered. The Craig Levein way. The guys 'tactics' are fecking laughable.

Agree,more tears though.

1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Depends how you measure success. Solely on league position? Cup performances? Euro qualifications? 

Apart from taking Utd to a LC final I can’t recall another significant cup run he’s had in his managerial career. 

53 years of age. Involved in football for 35 years and won absolutely nowt 

1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

League position?

Cup performances?

Euro qualification?

He ticks 2 out of 3 boxes.

19 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

League position?

Cup performances?

Euro qualification?

He ticks 2 out of 3 boxes.

I wasn’t suggesting a tick box checklist. For me it’s all about League position and cup success. He ticks one, many years ago, and certainly isn’t ticking it right now. The other, he’s achieved zilch.

2 hours ago, amadjambo said:

Quite an obtuse and churlish guy. 

All we need now is some arsehole to trawl through all the posts from two or three months ago praising Levein, then repost them all...

I’ve watched Hearts get dominated for long spells in matches against teams like Ross County. It’s just not good enough!

Nookie Bear
6 hours ago, world_3 said:

All we need now is some arsehole to trawl through all the posts from two or three months ago praising Levein, then repost them all...

Ha, is very tempting to drag out the threads where people were DEMANDING apologies from anyone who dared to criticise Levein for our form earlier in the season. 

But things change in football, and so do people’s beliefs, so not worth it.

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, Spencer said:

Unless you have an old firm conection, it’s probably unlikely you have many medals (if any)

It isn’t really a true indicator of talent imo

7 hours ago, Spencer said:

What a terrible post. So very very Hibs. ‘Show us yer medals Craig’... :yucky:

Finlay James
8 hours ago, Spencer said:

Ooft, getting put out the cup by the famous seriously hurt you mob didn't it.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Unless you have an old firm conection, it’s probably unlikely you have many medals (if any)

The post was not about talent though it was about success, which as someone has already said  everyone measures diffrently.

If getting a team to a final or into europe a decade ago is how folks are judging him then fine (lots of managers have done that though), me i am judging him on this season and its been shocking. I do not care about his past record with us or with Dundee Utd, i care that with the resouces he has at his disposal (the FoH donate more money to this club than some of the lessers clubs we have drawn with have to run there club) we are going backwards.

Reguardless of who's actual fault you think it is, players, coaches or managers, CL is still the DoF - his job is to oversee ALL footballing matters so he has to take a HUGE part of the blame for this mess.

He never learns, he is way to arrogant for that, the lets bring our next head coach up through the ranks is still HIS (and therefore AB's) vision / experiment and I reaslly don't think thats going to be a success and more than the lets give the job to my friend IC experiment was.

As football fans we all like our History, but letting someone stay in a job (which they didn't want) for another year because they were "succssesful" in getting us to europe a while back.

Oh and to the folks who say he has turned it around after Cathro, most of the posters on this board could have did that, its not a measure of hos great a manager CL is because cathro was so bad anyone was an improvement.

MJ

Nookie Bear
56 minutes ago, MadJock said:

The post was not about talent though it was about success, which as someone has already said  everyone measures diffrently.

If getting a team to a final or into europe a decade ago is how folks are judging him then fine (lots of managers have done that though), me i am judging him on this season and its been shocking. I do not care about his past record with us or with Dundee Utd, i care that with the resouces he has at his disposal (the FoH donate more money to this club than some of the lessers clubs we have drawn with have to run there club) we are going backwards.

Reguardless of who's actual fault you think it is, players, coaches or managers, CL is still the DoF - his job is to oversee ALL footballing matters so he has to take a HUGE part of the blame for this mess.

He never learns, he is way to arrogant for that, the lets bring our next head coach up through the ranks is still HIS (and therefore AB's) vision / experiment and I reaslly don't think thats going to be a success and more than the lets give the job to my friend IC experiment was.

As football fans we all like our History, but letting someone stay in a job (which they didn't want) for another year because they were "succssesful" in getting us to europe a while back.

Oh and to the folks who say he has turned it around after Cathro, most of the posters on this board could have did that, its not a measure of hos great a manager CL is because cathro was so bad anyone was an improvement.

MJ

I am not disagreeing with you , except that quite a few folk point to his lack of medals as a point against him. 

For me, his first stint as manager is irrelevant right now. 

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, Finlay James said:

C’mon, are we seriously going to trot this out every time someone is negative, even excessively so. 

ford donald
1 hour ago, MadJock said:

MJ

Nobody should disagree with what your saying,the truth hurts sometimes.

2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Hurt me last Sunday pal 

10 hours ago, Ryder said:

Quite an obtuse and churlish guy. 

He has irked you, as I have, due to stating the inconvenient truth 

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

There’s maybe merit in having a manager with an old firm connection. They tend to have a winning mentality, expect to win 3 points away from home, and are used to pressure. Lennon and Mcinnes aren’t doing too badly, and Macdonald/Jardine did very well for us many years ago.

Like everything, there are exceptions though. And I can’t think of anyone that would be suitable or in our price range right now.

1 hour ago, MadJock said:

MJ

Any honest Hearts fan should find this post difficult to disagree with. Clearly some will though because some just don't like the truth 

13 hours ago, davie1980 said:

And that was years ago. He's out of touch.

davemclaren
23 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Any honest Hearts fan should find this post difficult to disagree with. Clearly some will though because some just don't like the truth 

You and Mitch should meet up since you both often claim to own ‘the truth’.  ?

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Dave. Where are you with Levein just now? Would you make a change in the summer and if so who realistically would you bring in? 

davemclaren

Where I am at is that I was happy with progress up until the winter break. We then went on to beat Hibs first game back and had made some good signings. However, since then ( barring the cup defeat of Saints ) we seem to have regressed a bit. Disappointed in that and we need to see improvement between now and the end of the season. 

davemclaren
Just now, Beats said:

Dave. Where are you with Levein just now? Would you make a change in the summer and if so who realistically would you bring in? 

Replied on that prior to you posting. 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Beats said:

Thanks Dave.

If we don’t see some improvement by season end then Craig could be on a shoogly peg. I was never convinced, at the time, of the solidity of his three year contract and suspect he might only be in post on an interim basis. I could be totally wrong though. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If we don’t see some improvement by season end then Craig could be on a shoogly peg. I was never convinced, at the time, of the solidity of his three year contract and suspect he might only be in post on an interim basis. I could be totally wrong though. 

I have a feeling he will be gone in the summer. My worry is he goes back to this director of football role. I feel we need a clean break. We don't need a DOF. If he is going to stay make him academy director. I think that is maybe where he would be best utilised but as I said I think a clean break best all round.

Who do we approach? The obvious answer is Steve Clarke but I think he will be snapped up from a club down South. He's done a great job with Killie. Jack Ross wouldn't be a bad shout. Doing a good job and appears to have his head screwed on. Not taking that job he was offered down South was a good sign.

See what happens D.

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I claim nothing of the sort. I do believe some fans, many of whom are active on here, struggle to accept what is laid bare before them 

18 hours ago, amadjambo said:

We have won ONE league game more than Hamilton and Dundee, two clubs that have been fighting relegation all season.

Hamilton have lost 14 games this season, Dundee 17, we have lost 9. It is the 12 draws that have killed us.

4 hours ago, Ryder said:

What a terrible post. So very very Hibs. ‘Show us yer medals Craig’... :yucky:

Did you hear Lennon's interview before the game on Friday, he had a dig at the lack of trophies Craig Levein had won after he discussed Levein's dominance in the fixture. 

Just now, john5698 said:

Hamilton have lost 14 games this season, Dundee 17, we have lost 9. It is the 12 draws that have killed us.

Yep. We don’t score enough goals. Despite this we sold a goalscoring striker without replacing him, and hardly for big bucks either. 

9 minutes ago, Beats said:

I have a feeling he will be gone in the summer. My worry is he goes back to this director of football role. I feel we need a clean break. We don't need a DOF. If he is going to stay make him academy director. I think that is maybe where he would be best utilised but as I said I think a clean break best all round.

Who do we approach? The obvious answer is Steve Clarke but I think he will be snapped up from a club down South. He's done a great job with Killie. Jack Ross wouldn't be a bad shout. Doing a good job and appears to have his head screwed on. Not taking that job he was offered down South was a good sign.

See what happens D.

Thats my biggest worry because no established manager is going to touch the job if CL is interfeering from above. The academy director would be a great position to reward someone who has been a loyal servant to the club although presonally i would prefer a clean start which means him and the coaching staff are gone. This is purely down to me believing (rightly or wrongly) that he would still want to interferer. 

Anyone coming in is a risk, thats the same with any club getting new mangement staff. Steve Clarke would also be my first choice, again though would he work under CL ? I stating that as i do not believe CL is going anywhere anytime soon and i think thats always going to limit who comes in if CL can be moved away from head coach / managers role.

1 minute ago, john5698 said:

Did you hear Lennon's interview before the game on Friday, he had a dig at the lack of trophies Craig Levein had won after he discussed Levein's dominance in the fixture. 

Lennon is a horrible guy but he is a winner 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, amadjambo said:

Yep. We don’t score enough goals. Despite this we sold a goalscoring striker without replacing him, and hardly for big bucks either. 

Most seemed please he had left though. 

2 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

6 months for Steven Naismith will probably take up the lions share of the fees received for Goncalves and Walker 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Most seemed please he had left though. 

Yeah we a fickle lot us footi fans thats for sure, hate someone one week, love them the next.

• cosanostra locked this topic