Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Wishing ill on Leave voters is pretty shite, everyone is gonnae take a boot in the baws here. Well everyone except Boris and his like, plus all MPs, and  Scottish, Welsh and NI devolved diddies masquerading as someone important. 

The also rans are fecked. But no doubt the people will just turn on each other, rather than the ***** who did it. Worked from behind by Boris and his chums in the media.

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

This is getting so exciting.. 

Reading the comments below, 

Get ready for your Council tax to sky rocket.. 

Brexit, the gift that keeps giving. 

A mate of mine works on logistics for a big company who deliver in EU and UK. He told me his company is losing drivers ,just a few so far , but he knows one company who lost 1/3 of its drivers and said trying to get agency drivers is a mare. They are demanding and getting £18 an hour , industry rate is £14. 

WorldChampions1902
38 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Wishing ill on Leave voters is pretty shite, everyone is gonnae take a boot in the baws here. Well everyone except Boris and his like, plus all MPs, and  Scottish, Welsh and NI devolved diddies masquerading as someone important. 

The also rans are fecked. But no doubt the people will just turn on each other, rather than the ***** who did it. Worked from behind by Boris and his chums in the media.

For the record, I only wish ill on Leave voters that stubbornly refuse to accept Project Reality. As someone living in Shropshire close to the Welsh border, such people are surprisingly abundant (still).

But you are quite correct - we are all screwed and I totally agree that the ‘masterplan’ now is to blame Remainers and the EU for everything whilst cultivating a hostile relationship between Leavers and Remainers to distract from the real culprits in this debacle.

periodictabledancer
14 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

For the record, I only wish ill on Leave voters that stubbornly refuse to accept Project Reality. As someone living in Shropshire close to the Welsh border, such people are surprisingly abundant (still).

But you are quite correct - we are all screwed and I totally agree that the ‘masterplan’ now is to blame Remainers and the EU for everything whilst cultivating a hostile relationship between Leavers and Remainers to distract from the real culprits in this debacle.

The master plan now is  all the Leave mouthpieces telling us it could be perfect if only the EU would stop defending itself against yet more English exceptionalism  and to blame the EU for the utter shit show it was predicted to be. Dom Cummings , the liar in chief for Leave is a case in point - his recent tweets are pure revisionism and a blame culture that somehow it's all the fault of Remainers. 

40 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

A mate of mine works on logistics for a big company who deliver in EU and UK. He told me his company is losing drivers ,just a few so far , but he knows one company who lost 1/3 of its drivers and said trying to get agency drivers is a mare. They are demanding and getting £18 an hour , industry rate is £14. 

Driver shortages is a European wide problem.

Germany in particular .

I think I read somewhere in the region of 30,000 drivers had left the profession.

It was once a decent paid job.

Maybe now it will be more valued.

1 minute ago, Ked said:

Germany in particular .

I think I read somewhere in the region of 30,000 drivers had left the profession.

If I was a young man again I'd consider doing it and quickly. There's contracts being handed out for over £60k+ pa minimum right now.

Just now, pablo said:

If I was a young man again I'd consider doing it and quickly. There's contracts being handed out for over £60k+ pa minimum right now.

Not for me .

But for a long time it wasnt well paid.

I get tired driving and I never enjoy it I used to but the roads are just horrible now.

10 minutes ago, Ked said:

Not for me .

But for a long time it wasnt well paid.

I get tired driving and I never enjoy it I used to but the roads are just horrible now.

No, me neither. 

But if I was in my 20s and wasn't University educated. Earning over £60k for driving a truck would be tempting. 

3 hours ago, Ked said:

Germany in particular .

£35 an hour is not bad money.

A lot of drivers have retired, found other jobs during the pandemic and a good few thousand have fecked off back home because of the shite they were put through by Brexit.

3 hours ago, pablo said:

I nearly went for it myself. But I think I might be too old to start jumping about in a big feck off truck.

Just now, ri Alban said:

£35 an hour is not bad money.

A lot of drivers have retired, found other jobs during the pandemic and a good few thousand have fecked off back home because of the shite they were put through by Brexit.

It wasnt so long ago the money was poor .

Anyway I was just pointing out it seems to be a problem across the continent .

Whether brexit has had an impact on the shortage here is maybe true.

It's good for the drivers it seems if they are drawing a good wage.

Swings and roundabouts .

The main problem with the haulage industry in the UK is that EU hauliers are often preferring to return to the EU with empty lorries as it makes their trip much faster.

Not having to sit in queues for ages in Dover and fill out countless forms and go through inspections when exporting stuff.

They'd rather get their drivers back home quicker and get on to another job than feck about carryings goods over the channel.

So, UK-based hauliers are having to do all the exporting themselves, which is why there is such demand for drivers right now.

In the worker's market we have, wages are going up.

And the cost of that will be passed on to the consumer.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

The main problem with the haulage industry in the UK is that EU hauliers are often preferring to return to the EU with empty lorries as it makes their trip much faster.

Not having to sit in queues for ages in Dover and fill out countless forms and go through inspections when exporting stuff.

They'd rather get their drivers back home quicker and get on to another job than feck about carryings goods over the channel.

So, UK-based hauliers are having to do all the exporting themselves, which is why there is such demand for drivers right now.

In the worker's market we have, wages are going up.

And the cost of that will be passed on to the consumer.

So are you saying people shouldnt get a good wage ?

Not disagreeing with your summing up of what's happening but drivers wages up until recently were not great.

I just feel a bit uncomfortable when people want cheap Labour so they can get cheap goods.

24 minutes ago, Ked said:

So are you saying people shouldnt get a good wage ?

Not disagreeing with your summing up of what's happening but drivers wages up until recently were not great.

I just feel a bit uncomfortable when people want cheap Labour so they can get cheap goods.

Not at all, a high wage economy is a god thing, but it always leads to inflation.

Luckily, interest rates being at historic lows gives us plenty headroom to combat that.

Edited by Cade

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I nearly went for it myself. But I think I might be too old to start jumping about in a big feck off truck.

Was involved in a discussion today mate, where we were looking at what we do about the impact of this, blah blah blah. Anyway, there's a well known fmcg dairy company taking on drivers with a sign-on bonus of £5k and a salary of around £70k. Go for it!

Savage Vince
8 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I totally agree that the ‘masterplan’ now is to blame Remainers and the EU for everything whilst cultivating a hostile relationship between Leavers and Remainers to distract from the real culprits in this debacle.

The British State is second to none in this department so expect a well polished job that is perfectly executed. 

1 hour ago, Savage Vince said:

The British State is second to none in this department so expect a well polished job that is perfectly executed. 

Is it ?

Certainly doesnt seem so just now.

I see Boris tried to sack the chancellor. And got telt. :rofl:

The chancellor will be the PM very soon, and think he might put a stop to all this fecking about with the eu and put proper business dealings in place, like an adult.

WorldChampions1902
11 hours ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

It will be NOTHING to do with Brexit and EVERYTHING to do with the ‘Pingdemic’.

Thought I would get that in before the usual  ‘Brexit Deniers’ arrive.

The Real Maroonblood
54 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

It will be NOTHING to do with Brexit and EVERYTHING to do with the ‘Pingdemic’.

Thought I would get that in before the usual  ‘Brexit Deniers’ arrive.

:laugh2:

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Awwwwww are the poor wee leavers feeling picked on because they've made the biggest error in history?

man-holding-tiny-violin-close-hands-1230

I just thought it was an interesting take on it.

I doubt many of the voters mentioned care that much.

I suppose even on here the debates around covid and Scottish independence seem to end up not being debates but more name calling.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Ked said:

I just thought it was an interesting take on it.

I doubt many of the voters mentioned care that much.

I suppose even on here the debates around covid and Scottish independence seem to end up not being debates but more name calling.

Yeah true. All just end in bun fights :lol: 

On 12/08/2021 at 18:43, HartleyLegend3 said:

Just in the supermarket there. All I wanted was a wee bottle of water to quench ma thirst !

**** all !

Cheers, Shapps, ya prick !

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

So much doom and gloom on this thread, here's some good news of more Brexit dividends. This time in the form of increased exports .... for Ireland to the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/17/exports-from-ireland-to-great-britain-soar-in-post-brexit-trade-imbalance

And the hits just keep on coming...

:clyay:

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I still can't believe anyone was so outrageously stupid that they thought this would be a good idea 😂

A wise* man once said "never underestimate the stupidity of people"

*they may not have been wise or a man.

57 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I still can't believe anyone was so outrageously stupid that they thought this would be a good idea 😂

I think the referendum happened at a perfect storm time - we had the migrant crisis from Syria, Afghanistan and North Africa, with daily reports of more migrants and refugees turning up in Europe, we had a Labour Party with a weak leadership whose leader and a fair section of the party were not particularly pro-EU, perhaps from a workers anti-capitalist point of view, and we had noise about Turkey joining the EU (it won't be joining for a long, long time, if ever). A combination of fear and nationalism did the rest. I honestly believe that if the referendum had taken place before the migrant crisis in particular, we would have seen Brexit rejected.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think the referendum happened at a perfect storm time - we had the migrant crisis from Syria, Afghanistan and North Africa, with daily reports of more migrants and refugees turning up in Europe, we had a Labour Party with a weak leadership whose leader and a fair section of the party were not particularly pro-EU, perhaps from a workers anti-capitalist point of view, and we had noise about Turkey joining the EU (it won't be joining for a long, long time, if ever). A combination of fear and nationalism did the rest. I honestly believe that if the referendum had taken place before the migrant crisis in particular, we would have seen Brexit rejected.

Excellent post. We also avoided having a proper immigration debate. 

Ron Burgundy
On 18/08/2021 at 10:44, redjambo said:

Absolutely and it's a result of anyone daring to mention the word immigration automatically being labelled a racist so therefore there is never any real grown up debate.

How do we support an ageing population and ever-increasing "triple locked" pensions?

Increasing taxes by tons for those of working age?

Or do we try to grow the tax base?

If so, do we encourage people to have lots more kids then wait 16-20 years for these kids to grow up and get jobs and start paying taxes?

Considering the cost of raising a child in the UK at the moment that seems unfeasible.

Or do we bring in people from outside who can instantly start work and contribute from day 1?

Outsiders living and working here don't qualify for most benefits so they end up contributing more in taxation than they receive from the public purse.

UK natives just about break even on tax paid vs benefits received over their lifetimes.

But they're the wrong colour/religion so who cares, eh?

Konrad von Carstein
7 minutes ago, Cade said:

How do we support an ageing population and ever-increasing "triple locked" pensions?

Increasing taxes by tons for those of working age?

Or do we try to grow the tax base?

If so, do we encourage people to have lots more kids then wait 16-20 years for these kids to grow up and get jobs and start paying taxes?

Considering the cost of raising a child in the UK at the moment that seems unfeasible.

Or do we bring in people from outside who can instantly start work and contribute from day 1?

Outsiders living and working here don't qualify for most benefits so they end up contributing more in taxation than they receive from the public purse.

UK natives just about break even on tax paid vs benefits received over their lifetimes.

But they're the wrong colour/religion so who cares, eh?

Don't have a silver bullet as an answer, however , there needs to be a grown up conversation about taxation and the closure of the multiple avoidance measures/loopholes and also ensuring multi nationals pay thier share...