Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Rejoice!

The million euro a year boys are staying.

Huzzah!

For some reason, the loolahs in the Daily Express trumpeted this with a "Biff! Bang! Pow! Take that, you Brussels Blighters!" headline - conveniently ignoring the realities of an agreement reached between the British and the EU in late March.  Under this agreement, both sides are continuing to operate a de facto common market for financial services, while maintaining regulatory alignment.  But either side can opt out of that at short notice, particularly in the event of any departure from regulatory alignment.

You might remember regulatory alignment from its starring roles in previous EU-UK melodramas, such as "The Trade Agreement" and "The NI Protocol Strikes Back".  It's that thing the British government wouldn't contemplate for goods and a lot of services, but is doing for the City.  Goodness me, that's a surprise - I wonder why?

Short version: Brexit hasn't happened for the City, because for the purposes of financial services Brussels is treating the UK as though it hasn't left.  So far.

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

For some reason, the loolahs in the Daily Express trumpeted this with a "Biff! Bang! Pow! Take that, you Brussels Blighters!" headline - conveniently ignoring the realities of an agreement reached between the British and the EU in late March.  Under this agreement, both sides are continuing to operate a de facto common market for financial services, while maintaining regulatory alignment.  But either side can opt out of that at short notice, particularly in the event of any departure from regulatory alignment.

You might remember regulatory alignment from its starring roles in previous EU-UK melodramas, such as "The Trade Agreement" and "The NI Protocol Strikes Back".  It's that thing the British government wouldn't contemplate for goods and a lot of services, but is doing for the City.  Goodness me, that's a surprise - I wonder why?

Short version: Brexit hasn't happened for the City, because for the purposes of financial services Brussels is treating the UK as though it hasn't left.  So far.

The underlying truth is that many firms have relocated lots of jobs (the under €1m sort)  to Europe with Dublin being a  beneficiary. 

Interesting times for the City. 

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Where's my backing into hedges post?

4 TRILLION quid in assets has already been moved to the continent from the City of London.

A few Gordon Gecko pricks staying behind in London won't change that.

Rainbows and feckin Unicorns all round.

Edited by Cade

12 hours ago, Ulysses said:

You remainers have become a bit like "the end of the world is nigh" bible bashers. We're all going to die...well maybe next week. So far you've got a shortage of piri piri chicken (may not have anything to do with Brexit) and citrus fruits missing from a Belfast supermarket shelf. Wake me up when the end is nigh bureaucracy lovers.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

You remainers have become a bit like "the end of the world is nigh" bible bashers. We're all going to die...well maybe next week. So far you've got a shortage of piri piri chicken (may not have anything to do with Brexit) and citrus fruits missing from a Belfast supermarket shelf. Wake me up when the end is nigh bureaucracy lovers.

:rofl:

12 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Rejoice!

The million euro a year boys are staying.

Huzzah!

Very 1980's, but totally deluded. The end of the world is nigh 😂

Konrad von Carstein
14 minutes ago, kila said:

It's OK, we'll have a deal to get America's worst farmed chickens shortly.

Mmmm-mm whole chicken in a can

:sweeet:

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Very 1980's, but totally deluded. The end of the world is nigh 😂

Did you read the article Wolfie?

Million euro earners. Nothing about the grunts that work in the city or indeed the billions in investment that has migrated.

Keep on the kool aid 👍

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Did you read the article Wolfie?

Million euro earners. Nothing about the grunts that work in the city or indeed the billions in investment that has migrated.

Keep on the kool aid 👍

So when does the world end Bureaucrat boy last year, next year, this year.  We're all doomed. No doubt you'll Tanz Den Mussolini as the German economy drops and the Bundesbank sends the debt collectors in to Spain, Italy, Greece, Lithuania and many others. When you suck Capitalist dick it always comes back and shags you right up the arsehole. 

WorldChampions1902
4 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Wake me up when the end is nigh bureaucracy lovers.

The “bureaucracy lovers” you refer to are those that voted Leave. Leavers were warned ad-nauseum before during and after the Referendum that bureaucracy and form-filling would massively increase, but they chose to ignore the warnings or worse, shout, ”Project Fear”.

The TOTAL number of EU bureaucrats supporting 27 nations stands at around 30,000 employees. The U.K. now needs to employ 50,000 ADDITIONAL Customs form fillers post-Brexit!! Yet another manifestation of “Project Reality”.

Ministers are stepping up co-operation with business to train up to 50,000 people who will be needed to fill in customs forms for post-Brexit trade with the EU through the creation of a special academy”.

https://www.ft.com/content/3c1ae9bd-97e0-4131-b7e6-b4d0d5b8f4ff

Edited by WorldChampions1902

6 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The “bureaucracy lovers” you refer to are those that voted Leave. Leavers were warned ad-nauseum before during and after the Referendum that bureaucracy and form-filling would massively increase, but they chose to ignore the warnings or worse, shout, ”Project Fear”.

The TOTAL number of EU bureaucrats supporting 27 nations stands at around 30,000 employees. The U.K. now needs to employ 50,000 Customs ADDITIONAL form fillers post-Brexit!! Yet another manifestation of “Project Reality”.

Ministers are stepping up co-operation with business to train up to 50,000 people who will be needed to fill in customs forms for post-Brexit trade with the EU through the creation of a special academy”.

https://www.ft.com/content/3c1ae9bd-97e0-4131-b7e6-b4d0d5b8f4ff

No they're not. They're the ones who like the Monochrome EU parliament, the whites only free movement of Labour agreements, hob knobbing with Nazis from Eastern Europe and shouting trillions of pounds are being lost while claiming they don't need the city anyway.

I can't afford to subscribe to the FT so I only ever read it in the Library and can't verify the story. However, if its 50000 decently paid jobs to people in the UK then its all good, especially if it counters EU attempts to block vaccines and essential food supplies to NI, or French attempts to cut off electricity supplies to UK hospitals and care homes. 

Armageddon is not coming through Brexit.

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

No they're not. They're the ones who like the Monochrome EU parliament, the whites only free movement of Labour agreements, hob knobbing with Nazis from Eastern Europe and shouting trillions of pounds are being lost while claiming they don't need the city anyway.

I can't afford to subscribe to the FT so I only ever read it in the Library and can't verify the story. However, if its 50000 decently paid jobs to people in the UK then its all good, especially if it counters EU attempts to block vaccines and essential food supplies to NI, or French attempts to cut off electricity supplies to UK hospitals and care homes. 

Who's paying for the 50,000 extra staff?

At 18k a year minimum wage, never mind the good wage you're talking about, plus an extra 50% employment costs (it's normally more IIRC but I'll be kind), that's £1.35 billion a year, just on extra staff to fill out forms.

Is that all good? Really? Will that make things cheaper or more expensive?

34 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I don't recall anything in the free movement of labour rules stating only white folk. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Norm said:

I don't recall anything in the free movement of labour rules stating only white folk. 

It's like watching a slow motion car crash eh?

50 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Who's paying for the 50,000 extra staff?

At 18k a year minimum wage, never mind the good wage you're talking about, plus an extra 50% employment costs (it's normally more IIRC but I'll be kind), that's £1.35 billion a year, just on extra staff to fill out forms.

Is that all good? Really? Will that make things cheaper or more expensive?

So you put a price on escaping the monochrome set. Of course, you want an independent Scottish Monochrome set so you can sit proudly at the top table with all the other white folks :byebye:

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's like watching a slow motion car crash eh?

For the slow to catch on, how many black Polish, Bulgarian, Romanian etc. etc. etc. workers have you come across. The legislation may not have that intended outcome, but the clever white folks can work it out. You're either thick or it's the way you want it. Which is it Smithee? Are you stupid or are you racist?

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

So you put a price on escaping the monochrome set. Of course, you want an independent Scottish Monochrome set so you can sit proudly at the top table with all the other white folks :byebye:

Rats, it's like you read my mind!

Unknown user
1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

For the slow to catch on, how many black Polish, Bulgarian, Romanian etc. etc. etc. workers have you come across. The legislation may not have that intended outcome, but the clever white folks can work it out. You're either thick or it's the way you want it. Which is it Smithee? Are you stupid or are you racist?

Can I be both? I work from home, I have the time

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

So when does the world end Bureaucrat boy last year, next year, this year.  We're all doomed. No doubt you'll Tanz Den Mussolini as the German economy drops and the Bundesbank sends the debt collectors in to Spain, Italy, Greece, Lithuania and many others. When you suck Capitalist dick it always comes back and shags you right up the arsehole. 

Wolfie you've absolutely done me here!

I've genuinely got no ****ing idea of what you're banging on about or indeed how this relates to you nursing a chubby over the fact that the million + Euro a year earners are unsurprisingly not giving up their jobs and the most tenuous of links as to that being a 'Brexit benefit'  

5 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Just a reminder for @WorldChampions1902, @Norm, @Smithee and @The Mighty Thor, in case y'all haven't seen it before:

On 22/07/2021 at 13:49, SE16 3LN said:

One chink of light of course, that the largest party in Ireland, the whole of Ireland, is Sinn Fein, and there is no way they'd have allowed the EU to shaft the Irish in this way, regardless of their pro EU stance. They'll fight for the rights of the Irish people when they govern Ireland and they won't be a mouth piece for the French and the Germans. 

:laugh:

Unknown user
18 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I keep an eye on the express headlines for a laugh, they're brilliant.

Sturgeon Humiliated as Janitor Takes Parking Place.

A plucky blue collar worker was being hailed as a hero yesterday after blurblurblurblurb

51 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I keep an eye on the express headlines for a laugh, they're brilliant.

Sturgeon Humiliated as Janitor Takes Parking Place.

A plucky blue collar worker was being hailed as a hero yesterday after blurblurblurblurb

EU Plot To Axe British Number Plates

Nazi Flies Invade Britain

EU Wants To Merge UK With France

Double Decker Bus Found At South Pole

Now EU Want To Ban Our Kettles

Obesity In Women As Dangerous As Terror Threat

Brexit Vote Is The EU's Fault

:whistling:

9 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I know. Funny how he tells us all Scotland having no piri piri chicken is a disaster if we voted for independence.

WorldChampions1902
3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

EU Plot To Axe British Number Plates

Nazi Flies Invade Britain

EU Wants To Merge UK With France

Double Decker Bus Found At South Pole

Now EU Want To Ban Our Kettles

Obesity In Women As Dangerous As Terror Threat

Brexit Vote Is The EU's Fault

:whistling:

Ahhhh………the good old Daily Express. So many conflicting headlines. But they just keep on sucking it up.

B4BE0E00-5713-4307-9105-21DCBE64C0BA.jpeg

On 19/08/2021 at 09:57, HartleyLegend3 said:

I know someone who won't be in the honours list.  

Fast food chicken shortages.

Something brexiteers should be proud of .

Hopefully macdonalds next.

Seriously though shouldnt we be pursuing less of this and more healthy sustainable food stuffs.

Perhaps not through brexit but in general?

Well yes, but that's not really the point is it?

Industries of all types are being badly affected by Brexit.

We can discuss plant based protein replacements in other threads.

Usual next day delivery from Amazon going on 2 weeks. Brilliant. Hopefully get this high vis jaiket for my work before the bad weather and Christmas.

UK announces its new Trade Envoy to Australia.

Ian Botham.

Yes, that Ian Botham. The cricketer.

Edited by Cade

Now 800 a day landing on Kent coast. Amazed queen of hearts Nicola hasn't offered to take them all in to add to her aye2 column. 

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Now 800 a day landing on Kent coast. Amazed queen of hearts Nicola hasn't offered to take them all in to add to her aye2 column. 

You're on it early the day! :toasting:

32 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

triggered-angry.gif

Have you ever considered meditation?

Is the new narrative that because Brexit isn't apocalyptic then it wasn't a bad decision?

I thought the idea of a change to the status quo would have been in search of something better, rather than just a lot worse but not triggering Armageddon?

Is Brexit a complete disaster? No, we'll survive. However that's a low bar and I've yet to see anything that's better about it? The net effect is significantly worse than what went before. How can that be positioned as anything other than monumentally stupid self-harm?

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Is the new narrative that because Brexit isn't apocalyptic then it wasn't a bad decision?

I thought the idea of a change to the status quo would have been in search of something better, rather than just a lot worse but not triggering Armageddon?

Is Brexit a complete disaster? No, we'll survive. However that's a low bar and I've yet to see anything that's better about it? The net effect is significantly worse than what went before. How can that be positioned as anything other than monumentally stupid self-harm?

Has there been any tangible benefit to the citizens, excluding the already super wealthy, of the "UK" to "getting Brexit done"?

Any Brexit cheerleaders (WUMs) care to list the top 5 benefits?

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Has there been any tangible benefit to the citizens, excluding the already super wealthy, of the "UK" to "getting Brexit done"?

Any Brexit cheerleaders (WUMs) care to list the top 5 benefits?

Less fast food supplies 🙂

Higher wages for HGV drivers.

Less food for a nation of overweight people.

Yes I'm a wum

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Cade said:

UK announces its new Trade Envoy to Australia.

Ian Botham.

Yes, that Ian Botham. The cricketer.

I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn’t April 1st.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It's a great idea TBF, it's what Tammany hall did in New York - feed and welcome the many thousands of immigrants, mostly Irish, knowing that they were future voters.

30 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just as long as they are not dropped near Kilwinning for oor Gillian to plant any Glesga kisses. Compo claims could be exorbitant. Her lawyer comes highly recommended mind you.

27 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's a great idea TBF, it's what Tammany hall did in New York - feed and welcome the many thousands of immigrants, mostly Irish, knowing that they were future voters.

Not shocked. I bet you would welcome the Taliban in if they signed up for ref2. SNP and Greens could form a three party coalition. Would be fun to see wee Harvie in a rainbow turban. 

Edited by JackLadd