Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Boris said:

The DUP happy to join in with the Johnson myth making.  Irish and EU intransigence etc.

Awful, awful people.

Interesting to hear, yesterday, the Welsh farmers fears of a no deal too.  A certain irony as I think a lot of farmers voted leave, but is there any other way to paint this other than English Tory nationalism gone mad?

I suppose it’s mostly English nationalism but there was a million Scots who voted for it too and probably plenty SNP voters also but in the main its an English/unionist ideal. I know labour supporters who want no deal and any Rangers/unionists I know too who for all intents and purposes are basically English. They hate Scotland, it’s voice, it’s Parliament with a passion. 

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, jack D and coke said:

I suppose it’s mostly English nationalism but there was a million Scots who voted for it too and probably plenty SNP voters also but in the main its an English/unionist ideal. I know labour supporters who want no deal and any Rangers/unionists I know too who for all intents and purposes are basically English. They hate Scotland, it’s voice, it’s Parliament with a passion. 

I was meaning more the tact Johnson is taking, rather than leave voters per se. 

He seems to be prepared to throw Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland under his bus.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Boris said:

I was meaning more the tact Johnson is taking, rather than leave voters per se. 

He seems to be prepared to throw Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland under his bus.

There will be a lot of people in those countries happy about that is my point too mate. 

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

There will be a lot of people in those countries happy about that is my point too mate. 

Oh, yes, indeed!  Which seems bizarre, imo, but yeah, totally get your point. :thumb:

Craig Gordons Gloves
6 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Nearly four years here and people in the States tell me my accent is unchanged. As bad as my attempts at a Scottish one are (though they get better when I'm drinking) I have my doubts I'll ever be called a Jock, mistakenly or otherwise. :lol:

Nearly 13 years here and i'm still on the receiving end of blank looks when i speak sometimes and my accent isn't even that broad.  M brother tells me i've developed a wee yank twang but nobody else has said, so i think hes just being a yank (rhyming slang version)

Francis Albert
9 hours ago, Boris said:

An open border is not a condition of the GFA. But those in NI  who have always opposed the GFA will exploit a hard or even soft border for all it is worth.

And American and UK and EU politicians who gain from this or are just ignorant of Irish politics and the actual terms of the GFA will also exploit it for all it is worth. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

An open border is not a condition of the GFA. But those in NI  who have always opposed the GFA will exploit a hard or even soft border for all it is worth.

And American and UK and EU politicians who gain from this or are just ignorant of Irish politics and the actual terms of the GFA will also exploit it for all it is worth. 

Why don't you help out & tell the world they are wrong.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
17 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Meanwhile...

6ED611D8-60CA-4841-8F1B-09B0CF6A213E.jpeg

Even Trump would know Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab is a **** wit.

Also shows the English extremists don't see it as a union of equals and why Scotland & NI were screwed over the Brexit vote.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Even Trump would know Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab is a **** wit.

Raab obviously didn’t pay attention a school particularly geography.

A region of England :phface:

3 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Nearly 13 years here and i'm still on the receiving end of blank looks when i speak sometimes and my accent isn't even that broad.  M brother tells me i've developed a wee yank twang but nobody else has said, so i think hes just being a yank (rhyming slang version)

That's just because us Americans are uncultured swine who can't understand anything that doesn't sound like newscaster American English.

9 hours ago, Boris said:

The DUP happy to join in with the Johnson myth making.  Irish and EU intransigence etc.

Awful, awful people.

Interesting to hear, yesterday, the Welsh farmers fears of a no deal too.  A certain irony as I think a lot of farmers voted leave, but is there any other way to paint this other than English Tory nationalism gone mad?

Fintan O'Toole's book on Brexit is a worth a read on the English nationalism aspect of Brexit.

As for farmers,  just typical doom and gloom from them.

Where's the optimism as they face the potential decimation of their industry?

2 billion to ensure the continuity of critical medicine....for a no deal that has no democratic mandate. Madness 

52 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Fintan O'Toole's book on Brexit is a worth a read on the English nationalism aspect of Brexit.

We are disappearing down the plug hole, yet many seem to be happy to cling to the carcass that is pulling us down with it. 

Unbelievable.

6 hours ago, Boris said:

We are disappearing down the plug hole, yet many seem to be happy to cling to the carcass that is pulling us down with it. 

Unbelievable.

I think history will show this stupidity for what it is. The history books will be written saying the people of this islands were “ turkeys who voted for Christmas then blamed Santa for the shitstorm”. 

Embarrassing. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Raab obviously didn’t pay attention a school particularly geography.

A region of England :phface:

Although its entirely believable, the tweet was a year old fake. 

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, Costanza said:

I vividly recall seeing large numbers of leave placards and union flags in the farms of East Lothian. What did they think was going to happen, particularly as the majority have been on the CAP teat for years?

8 hours ago, Boris said:

Unbelievable.

Sun Style Sensationalism

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

I think history will show this stupidity for what it is. The history books will be written saying the people of this islands were “ turkeys who voted for Christmas then blamed Santa for the shitstorm”. 

Embarrassing. 

What's going to happen, four year old children are going to write the history books?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Although its entirely believable, the tweet was a year old fake. 

This.

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I vividly recall seeing large numbers of leave placards and union flags in the farms of East Lothian. What did they think was going to happen, particularly as the majority have been on the CAP teat for years?

Good sport to trash the farmers but if you stop ranting and think about it, farmers are quite important whether in or out of the EU and in or out of the Union.

The Mighty Thor
13 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Good sport to trash the farmers but if you stop ranting and think about it, farmers are quite important whether in or out of the EU and in or out of the Union.

Oh I agree the UKs farmers are very important. 

No ranting from me. Like the fishermen they bought the lie and saw pound signs, when the eventuality they are now faced with couldn't be further removed from the bullshit they swallowed. 

Mind you they'll blame the intransigent EU and Irish anyways.

Interesting to hear the Welsh Secretary interviewed on the day of Johnson’s visit to Wales. Replying to the interviewer’s question about protests from Welsh farmers who feel that a no-deal Brexit would ruin them, he replied that Wales had voted for Brexit.

Interesting, because we’re always being told that the ‘Scotland voted Remain’ argument is invalid.

When it suits them, I suppose.

4 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

What's going to happen, four year old children are going to write the history books?

Well anyone who thinks Boris’s tory Brexit is a good idea will have the mind of a 4 year old so aye, maybe!

4 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

It can't be just me that thinks, just do no-deal Brexit. 

Whatever survives, we will get on with it.

Aye, but you get that we could have spent three years actually trying to CONTROL the products of leaving. Instead they spent 3 years doing almost nothing and now May has paid the price. Boris has come in and we'll leave regardless, mainly because him and his cabinet will be making lots of lovely money along the way. As someone who knows a couple of mates who's business has gone down the tubes recently due to Brexit, its a rather shitey state of affairs. 3 years in yet nobody can actually say whats going to happen in the next 3 months. Utterly abysmal from our elected leaders and I wouldnt trust them to negotiate any meaningful deals once we are out, as they appear to be completely inept. 

Francis Albert

"Could" "Potential"  "Possible"  "May" "Virtually" "Worst case"...

And not an "official" Government document.

Edited by Francis Albert

On 31/07/2019 at 17:45, jake said:

🤣

Already had the heads up, Jacoby. So laugh away, all you like.

Francis Albert
52 minutes ago, Cade said:

Govt plans leaked, warning of exams being delayed and school dinners running out of food.

Absolute chaos.

We're DOOMED. Ah tell ye  DOOMED.

Seymour M Hersh
13 hours ago, Cade said:

Govt plans leaked, warning of exams being delayed and school dinners running out of food.

Absolute chaos.

You missed out cats living with dogs! 

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

image.thumb.png.194e4ca1659fd9fa72a4e0dc8f259008.png

bbc.in/2T2QYDI

Experts, schmexperts. Who needs to listen to experts in fields like medicine?

:profit:

Project Fear from Remoaners mate. 

When you think of all the Remoaners in business,  industry, services, civil servants and cabinet ministers who all think a no deal Brexit is a terrible outcome,  it just shows you how widespread this fake news is. 

Also, when you put these claims up against all the experts with their evidence who think a no deal Brexit is perfectly acceptable,  then what's the worry?

OK I've not seen any evidence from the politicians or indeed  from anyone on this thread but it must exist somewhere. 

19 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Official government document with potential consequences of a no-deal Brexit outlined, has been leaked. Fun times.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/food-shortages-public-disorder-ex-pats-endangered-by-no-deal-brexit-government-leak-reveals/01/08/

2ec730cc-8bc907f3-c5993212-a416-4dde-952

35 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Project Fear from Remoaners mate. 

When you think of all the Remoaners in business,  industry, services, civil servants and cabinet ministers who all think a no deal Brexit is a terrible outcome,  it just shows you how widespread this fake news is. 

Also, when you put these claims up against all the experts with their evidence who think a no deal Brexit is perfectly acceptable,  then what's the worry?

OK I've not seen any evidence from the politicians or indeed  from anyone on this thread but it must exist somewhere. 

Well we'll know if we try it out. 

Some links to the All is well No Deal experts will be interesting. 

I think there will be other consequences - a bit of the loosening of human behaviour.

Not long to wait to find out. 

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Well we'll know if we try it out. 

Some links to the All is well No Deal experts will be interesting. 

I think there will be other consequences - a bit of the loosening of human behaviour.

Not long to wait to find out. 

I stand corrected. There will be some winners of a no deal Brexit 

23 hours ago, Justin Z said:

image.thumb.png.194e4ca1659fd9fa72a4e0dc8f259008.png

bbc.in/2T2QYDI

Experts, schmexperts. Who needs to listen to experts in fields like medicine?

:profit:

She has prior record for spreading scare stories during the Indyref campaign. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwij5sm3muvjAhUN4OAKHWvaCy8QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyrecord.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fsurgeon-exposed-spreading-bogus-claims-4103150&psig=AOvVaw0C215zOapqSfp6aYSq4GDd&ust=1565076499329861

Innnnnteresting. Of course, attacking her personal credibility, rather than the argument she is making, is the bare definition of ad hominem. You might argue that my original post was an appeal to authority, but the caveat of that was, the authority was talking about science with which she has an innate familiarity.

And that's the key. You can't stockpile radioactive materials used in cancer treatment and scanning. You simply can't--it's impossible. They decay with a fixed half-life and become useless over time.

So it could be anybody from Nigel Farage to Winston Churchill to Phillippa Whitford telling you, but the fact remains the same. Therefore, it doesn't matter if she "has previous".

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Some rumours flying about that the tories will call an election to make a no deal exit happened. 

The theory seems to be. Call an election just prior to the 31sr of October. Therefore parliament is dissolved when the leave date happens and no deal becomes the default. 

The tories then hoover up the farage support, whilst everyone else is going wtf and wins the GE. 

I have no idea if this could even happen.

I'm no expert but my understanding is that parliament needs to approve a General Election that isn't automatically due under the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
From WIki
The two most important situations where a general election can be earlier are a vote of no confidence in the government, and a vote of two-thirds of the House of Commons.

So it is no longer the prerogative of the PM

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

I'm no expert but my understanding is that parliament needs to approve a General Election that isn't automatically due under the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
From WIki
The two most important situations where a general election can be earlier are a vote of no confidence in the government, and a vote of two-thirds of the House of Commons.

So it is no longer the prerogative of the PM

I suppose it then comes down to how many hardcore brexiteers there are and how many Labour MPs would fancy their chances and risk a no deal Brexit for the chance of getting into power.

crazy days 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Francis Albert
On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:35, Justin Z said:

Innnnnteresting. Of course, attacking her personal credibility, rather than the argument she is making, is the bare definition of ad hominem. You might argue that my original post was an appeal to authority, but the caveat of that was, the authority was talking about science with which she has an innate familiarity.

And that's the key. You can't stockpile radioactive materials used in cancer treatment and scanning. You simply can't--it's impossible. They decay with a fixed half-life and become useless over time.

So it could be anybody from Nigel Farage to Winston Churchill to Phillippa Whitford telling you, but the fact remains the same. Therefore, it doesn't matter if she "has previous".

For those like me who are ignorant of the half lives of the radioactive materials used in cancer treatment  if someone is caught spouting nonsense about one thing it makes their pronouncements on other things less convincing whatever their expertise. (and yes I know this applies to posters on here including me!)

Anyway, on another tack, I have complained before that every job loss announced since the Brexit vote has been blamed on Brexit. So I have in fairness to point out that reports on hundreds of lost jobs due to the collapse of the Spudulike chain do not seem to mention Brexit as a factor.

Edited by Francis Albert

24 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

For those like me who are ignorant of the half lives of the radioactive materials used in cancer treatment  if someone is caught spouting nonsense about one thing it makes their pronouncements on other things less convincing whatever their expertise. (and yes I know this applies to posters on here including me!)

Anyway, on another tack, I have complained before that every job loss announced since the Brexit vote has been blamed on Brexit. So I have in fairness to point out that reports on hundreds of lost jobs due to the collapse of the Spudulike chain do not seem to mention Brexit as a factor.

There was a graph in the very much pro Brexit Sunday Express that projects 600,000 job losses in the UK as a direct consequence of leaving the EU.

Not that you will be impacted in retirement of course. But I'm sure it will give you antagonistic discussion points to pass the time on kickback with.

On 05/08/2019 at 07:40, Lord BJ said:

Some rumours flying about that the tories will call an election to make a no deal exit happened. 

The theory seems to be. Call an election just prior to the 31sr of October. Therefore parliament is dissolved when the leave date happens and no deal becomes the default. 

The tories then hoover up the farage support, whilst everyone else is going wtf and wins the GE. 

I have no idea if this could even happen.

The main reason that won't happen is that if there is chaos after No Deal the government will surely be blamed and it's an open goal for Labour. 

Francis Albert
29 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

There was a graph in the very much pro Brexit Sunday Express that projects 600,000 job losses in the UK as a direct consequence of leaving the EU.

Not that you will be impacted in retirement of course. But I'm sure it will give you antagonistic discussion points to pass the time on kickback with.

Didn't see the Express article but impressed that the Express gives space to stories that go against their pro-Brexit stance,

Now if only the Guardian ...

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Didn't see the Express article but impressed that the Express gives space to stories that go against their pro-Brexit stance,

Now if only the Guardian ...

Oh it was very much spun in the pro Brexit, bullish Boris, fantastic opportunity style, with the graph an after thought at the bottom.

Given that the Sun, the Mail, the Express, the Telegraph and the Times are all pro Brexit, I think we are very lucky to have the Guardian as a dissenting voice. Although it will be interesting to see how much longer they are allowed to be so, once Priti Patel and the other far right wingers that those who justify Brexit empower, get around to further consolidating their power.

11 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Oh it was very much spun in the pro Brexit, bullish Boris, fantastic opportunity style, with the graph an after thought at the bottom.

Given that the Sun, the Mail, the Express, the Telegraph and the Times are all pro Brexit, I think we are very lucky to have the Guardian as a dissenting voice. Although it will be interesting to see how much longer they are allowed to be so, once Priti Patel and the other far right wingers that those who justify Brexit empower, get around to further consolidating their power.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiyt5j7kO7jAhWLzYUKHdbMDf8QzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fmedia%2Fgreenslade%2F2016%2Faug%2F16%2Fpro-and-anti-brexit-newspapers-reflected-leave-vote-shock-says-study&psig=AOvVaw3B3GLEBjgcoXyX2N3ZpDDD&ust=1565177036191476

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )