Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Fun and games. Good watching MPs everywhere squirm. 

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All over a set of circumstances that would probably not occur.     But the 'ITS OOR SOVEREIGNTY',   little Englander,   my home is my castle,  this was their finest hour,   still living in imperial times mindset zealots insist on there being a unilateral exit mechanism.

32 minutes ago, Boris said:

Or have another referendum?

May could get her deal through if it were put to the people.  I reckon enough MPs would vote for that.

May's deal or remain.

Ah, but then that'd have to be a legally binding referendum.

Which parliament would need to vote for.

Which they wouldn't.

Brexiteers would be terrified of a binding Remain.

Remainers would be terrified of a binding May Deal.

Edited by Cade

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Ah, but then that'd have to be a legally binding referendum.

Which parliament would need to vote for.

Which they wouldn't.

What, like the original one?  Why does it have to b e legally binding?

Not related, but I really wanted to post this pic...

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Lookalike Blakey May'

25 minutes ago, Boris said:

What, like the original one?  Why does it have to b e legally binding?

Not related, but I really wanted to post this pic...

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Lookalike Blakey May'

Ha ha.    

On the Brexit.

Andrea Leadsom drooling on about the possibility of a 3rd meaningful vote.

This is borne purely out of her being Leader of the House and therefore the house business convener.     Clinging to control to the last breath.    May would go along with it.     Leadsom's nose is so far out of joint at the prospect of parliament taking over that it's virtually in another postcode.

So the ERG and DUP are basically deciding the future of our country.

Great to see we're "taking back control"...

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It’s a truly baffling situation. I can’t for the life of me work out what it is that Labour would propose to do which would get the backing of both the EU and the house. The ERG seem oblivious to the fact that their idea of a good deal would get voted down. May seems to have come back with the same deal and gone ‘how about it?’

This will surely have to go to a second referendum. Parliament won’t resolve this.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

They kind of aren’t though because hardly anyone is supporting this deal.

11 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

That's down to the mechanisms of the glorious institution of open democracy that is Westminster

:look:

Edited by Cade

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Ian Blackford just ripped the PM and the Tory party to shreds 

He's been brilliant all through this fiasco 

I've noticed over last few weeks that Sky News regularly cut back to the studio midway through Blackford's remarks in the Commons.

Shanks said no
31 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Around 7pm

Cheers, will watch on phone.

where were you when May (maybe) finally conceded defeat? In Bensons with Sweet Caroline playing in the background 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

The Mighty Thor

What's remarkable is listening to the, mainly Tory MPs who are now wrestling with the realisation that their party is on the verge of imploding.

That lying slimy ***** Johnson trumpeting on for the no deal now. Jockeying for when the Maybot gets launched. 

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

What's remarkable is listening to the, mainly Tory MPs who are now wrestling with the realisation that their party is on the verge of imploding.

That lying slimy ***** Johnson trumpeting on for the no deal now. Jockeying for when the Maybot gets launched. 

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

More switchers coming out of the woodwork.

This could be a bit closer than we all think.

Sky News saying she will lose by over 100 votes.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

More switchers coming out of the woodwork.

This could be a bit closer than we all think.

Not enough. She's left it too late and she hasn't pitched the deal properly. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
20 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Even someone with his lack of self-awareness must know that there's nothing like a majority in the House for a no-deal exit. That's a dead duck, as is May's deal. Which as far as I can see, leaves a second referendum.

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Even someone with his lack of self-awareness must know that there's nothing like a majority in the House for a no-deal exit. That's a dead duck, as is May's deal. Which as far as I can see, leaves a second referendum.

I genuinely have no idea what it leaves if this gets defeated other than an absolute cluster**** where no one wins.

A no deal is never flying even with these charlatan *******s.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

I genuinely have no idea what it leaves if this gets defeated other than an absolute cluster**** where no one wins.

A no deal is never flying even with these charlatan *******s.

True enough, most of the MPs seem shit scared of a second referendum too.

The next logical step is an extension but since nothing is going to change with the EU, or not significantly, that will achieve nothing.

14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

True enough, most of the MPs seem shit scared of a second referendum too.

The next logical step is an extension but since nothing is going to change with the EU, or not significantly, that will achieve nothing.

Exactly, i dont see what extending does we are still at the same impasse.

Edited by Jamboelite

It would kill me to witness May being triumphant.     Not that I am so against this deal because it really is only a means to a transition period and starting point of the future relationship.    It would not be all that bad because it would provide stability for 20+ months through the transition.    Certainty for jobs and ongoing frictionless trade.

No.    It would kill me because of the way May has driven a steamroller through parliamentary process.     Control freakery.    Total exclusion of all others.    Bribery with promises of ermine and government payroll positions.     Bare faced lies.     Contemptuous behaviour.    Running down the clock.    Menacing MPs with the revenge of their voters.    Deflection of criticism on to those who have conducted themselves responsibly.

A second referendum would not destroy democratic trust.     May has already obliterated it.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No.    It would kill me because of the way May has driven a steamroller through parliamentary process.     Control freakery.    Total exclusion of all others.    Bribery with promises of ermine and government payroll positions.     Bare faced lies.     Contemptuous behaviour.    Running down the clock.    Menacing MPs with the revenge of their voters.    Deflection of criticism on to those who have conducted themselves responsibly.

I'm no fan of hers. But can you honestly say that any amount of co-operation across the house would have established a deal? The ERG are a nightmare. Corbyn is completely dishonest about his intentions. The Libs/SNP would never back Brexit regardless of the UK vote and the DUP are horribly right wing. I'm inclined to think that a Brexit deal relying on a majority vote in the house was an impossibility from the start.

Which isn't to say she couldn't have engaged with people better but the woman has no people skills.

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It would kill me to witness May being triumphant.     Not that I am so against this deal because it really is only a means to a transition period and starting point of the future relationship.    It would not be all that bad because it would provide stability for 20+ months through the transition.    Certainty for jobs and ongoing frictionless trade.

A second referendum would not destroy democratic trust.     May has already obliterated it.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I'm no fan of hers. But can you honestly say that any amount of co-operation across the house would have established a deal? The ERG are a nightmare. Corbyn is completely dishonest about his intentions. The Libs/SNP would never back Brexit regardless of the UK vote and the DUP are horribly right wing. I'm inclined to think that a Brexit deal relying on a majority vote in the house was an impossibility from the start.

Which isn't to say she couldn't have engaged with people better but the woman has no people skills.

Yes a cross bench commission could easily have led to a more consensus laden approach to staged negotiations.    Corbyn would not have driven the process.    It would have marginalised the Brexit zealots instead of them having controlled the process.   

A critical circumstance commission,    a sort of single issue parallel coalition government should have been given the mandate to enable a grown up,   responsible Brexit.

It absolutely could have worked.

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If nothing else then I would love to see the outcome of the Tory party breaking apart. It would be a beautiful thing to behold. It's simmering away just now and I suspect it won't take a huge amount for it to erupt. 

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Parliament had an obvious Soft Brexit majority. 

Could have been simple. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

If nothing else then I would love to see the outcome of the Tory party breaking apart. It would be a beautiful thing to behold. It's simmering away just now and I suspect it won't take a huge amount for it to erupt. 

I tend to think it will continue as it is with a tacit truce out of a collective understanding that the party as it is provides the individual MP with their seat on the gravy train.    There is a huge vested interest not to rock the boat.

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

How long does it take to organise a referendum?

How much notice is needed for a GE?

The EU won’t grant an extension to go round in circles, with the May deal. So there needs to be something definitive change of direction to grant one.

It it seems to me that this is going to need to be a pretty significant extension. 12 months at least which then would tie us to European elections etc. 

It's faster to call a GE than to organise a referendum

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

No Deal it is then

Nah, there's a majority in parliament to block a No Deal situation.

It's deadlock.

No to may's deal.

No to no deal.

Both binding votes.

Paralysis.

The Mighty Thor
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

No Deal it is then

As it was always intended to be. 

Then the fun and games really begin. 

There's no clear water indications in the opinion polls regarding what the public want to happen.     Every scenario will have little popularity.     

My current most likely next stage is general election.   

No deal still a likely option here even if they vote against it with blame attributed to the EU.

Playing with people's livelihoods because of that is an absolute disgrace.

The government are in a pickle as an extension means taking part in the European elections which they don't want but have to otherwise a legal nigtmare.

The safest way out of this is another referendum but that's apparently anti democratic. 

What a total clusterf***

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Vote margin?     I was 100 off last time.     Going 100 this time.

I'll go 190.

Edited by redjambo

23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

How long does it take to organise a referendum?

How much notice is needed for a GE?

The EU won’t grant an extension to go round in circles, with the May deal. So there needs to be something definitive change of direction to grant one.

It it seems to me that this is going to need to be a pretty significant extension. 12 months at least which then would tie us to European elections etc. 

Referendum chat was 6 months but that had a fair amount of scope in it depensing on who was saying it based on their agenda.

Just now, Jamboelite said:

But not enough.

Fortunately. The tail often wags the dog in politics though.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )