Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor

I read that the UKs current Brexit secretary has accused the EU of trying to 'rerun old arguments'. 

I'm glad that with 3 weeks to go that May isn't sending the AG back and forth to Brussels with the same plan over and over. 

No deal and the EU's fault is the new plan clearly. (Actually I  think it's been the plan from day 1)

doctor jambo
On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:41, Governor Tarkin said:

He makes my skin crawl.

Would have his wife round for cheese and biscuits though.

You'd better hurry up, access to decent cheese is about to end.

I'm also hoping I have the nationality of my own wife wrong ( as Hunt did).

If it turns out she is German ( she grew up as a hun) then I can go for german citizenship

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This is so far beyond farcical it’s not true. Now talk of May scrapping the votes. She has no idea what she’s doing and has made zero progress on any of this. Needs to resign

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This is so far beyond farcical it’s not true. Now talk of May scrapping the votes. She has no idea what she’s doing and has made zero progress on any of this. Needs to resign

The only vote she regards as binding is the referendum one- all the others are flexible.

Utter shambles the whole thing

10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Given her previous comments in the House, scrapping the votes would be tantamount to lying to the House.

Could we see another vote of confidence in the Government?

Solid, if fairly basic, update about this clusterf*** from CGP Grey, that nicely explains why it's basically impossible.

Edited by Justin Z

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Given her previous comments in the House, scrapping the votes would be tantamount to lying to the House.

Could we see another vote of confidence in the Government?

She is giving a written statement later. There are already Tory MPs saying that she would lose a vote of confidence this time. In other words they would vote against her.

Its all going swimmingly this talking back control.

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Swimmingly, strongly, and stably.

Just now, Notts1874 said:

She is giving a written statement later. There are already Tory MPs saying that she would lose a vote of confidence this time. In other words they would vote against her.

It's completely mental.  But what is worrying is that if there is a vote of no confidence and a GE is set, May will resign I would imagine, (that said nothing would surprise me!), thus allowing a Gove or Johnson the chance to lead the Tories, thus hardening the Brexit option.

I doubt Labour would win the election.

But who knows?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Talk that May will get a deal of some sort tonight. Whether it’s enough, who knows.

seems pretty clear that the EU are shitting themselves as much about no deal as we all are.

Watt-Zeefuik

Saw some poll on the Scotsman that folk preferred independence to no deal Brexit 52-48%.

Didn't surprise me that there was a lead. Kind of shocked that *48%* would take the massive self-inflicted wound that is no deal Brexit over independence. Really?

There will be no new miracle deal.

The deal has been done.

All that the EU are trying to do is re-word bits of it to kid on to the DUP and ERG that the backstop isn't really a thing, but it still will be.

Barnier "not convinced UK has acted in good faith".

Wow.   To say that publicly (or allow into public domain) is quite something.     Everyone knows the UK side has not acted in good faith but the EU has remained absolutely diplomatic,   as you would expect.     Barnier obviously feels he can no longer do so.    No wonder.

This latest trip is no different.    Smoke and mirrors.    Going through the motions as part of a scheme to plant the blame on the EU.

7 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

You'd better hurry up, access to decent cheese is about to end.

I'm also hoping I have the nationality of my own wife wrong ( as Hunt did).

If it turns out she is German ( she grew up as a hun) then I can go for german citizenship

Hate to break it to you Doc, but I don't think you can. I looked in to it before Brexit. Unless you've lived there for 3 years, you're not entitled to it. You also have to pass some tests and be proficient to a certain level in German. 

I'm getting a bit worried for my kids. At the moment, they have dual citizenship as the UK is part of the EU. However, German law states you can not have dual citizenship if your other citizenship is non-EU (or US and a couple of others where the other state don't let citizens relinquish their role). Basically, you're either German or not. You have to give up your other citizenship to get a German one. For kids, they can keep both until they're 18, but then they have to make a choice. At the moment, Germany have yet to make a decision in what happens to dual UK-German citizens post Brexit. I'm hoping they carry it on but who knows?

Sexton Hardcastle

This Dispatches episode looks fun tonight with JRM squirming away as he gets asked about the profits from his investments rocketing due to Brexit.

It would not surprise me if tomorrow's main deception centres around the legal opinion of the Attorney General.     A fundamental shift in his legal advice to government / parliament regarding the backstop.     There has been some recent background noise about him supposedly being absolutely strict and exhaustive about the legal advice he provides.    Would not put his name to anything unless it was completely accurate and honest,  blah blah.     Of the very highest integrity,   blah blah.

Sounds like ground bait being launched into the lake.   

Tomorrow.    Attorney General suddenly decides something fundamentally different to what he's said before.      In the event that it gets found out at a later date... well that's ages away.    We'll squirm under that bridge if we come to it.

Edited by Victorian

It's laughable.

The UK government knows it's red lines are contradictory and it can't find a way out, so it instructs the Attorney General to try to invent a reason why the done deal is illegal.

It's absolute panic stations.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's laughable.

The UK government knows it's red lines are contradictory and it can't find a way out, so it instructs the Attorney General to try to invent a reason why the done deal is illegal.

It's absolute panic stations.

Yep.   His so-called highest possible probity is going to hawked around as the thing for MPs to hang their hats on.    I suspect there are many MPs who will need only a little chink of light to justify jumping behind May's deal.      Anything to kid themselves on that it is right,  just and expedient.    

Sexton Hardcastle
23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The markets in general have been pretty good in the period since brexit happened. Brexit caused some slight issues but nothing major as people priced in it.

Anyone who invests them, has seen pretty good returns over the last few years. 

JRM Company is financial investment by in large in this area. They will have done well as many other investment companies have recently, however, to suggest engineering it for his benefit I don’t buy.

Out of chaos comes opportunity and investment companies can take advantage of it. However, these companies benefit from strong economic growth buoying the markets in reality much more.

That said JRM is a *****.

Serious questions need to be asked of him or anyone who has that power/influence and stands to profit so hugely. 

Absolutely everything wrong with politics and little wonder people lose interest in the whole thing when this continues to go by so frequently. 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Barnier "not convinced UK has acted in good faith".

Wow.   To say that publicly (or allow into public domain) is quite something.     Everyone knows the UK side has not acted in good faith but the EU has remained absolutely diplomatic,   as you would expect.     Barnier obviously feels he can no longer do so.    No wonder.

This latest trip is no different.    Smoke and mirrors.    Going through the motions as part of a scheme to plant the blame on the EU.

The EU has set out to shaft the UK from day one. They've even used the possibility of a return to violence in NI as a tool to **** the UK. That's us their trying to screw. Not May, not Rees moggy, you and I. What a gullible bunch of snowflakes the remainers have turned out to be. Diplomatic...soft lad

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

This Dispatches episode looks fun tonight with JRM squirming away as he gets asked about the profits from his investments rocketing due to Brexit.

Preview

7 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The EU has set out to shaft the UK from day one. They've even used the possibility of a return to violence in NI as a tool to **** the UK. That's us their trying to screw. Not May, not Rees moggy, you and I. What a gullible bunch of snowflakes the remainers have turned out to be. Diplomatic...soft lad

Yeah that's chapter and verse from the Brexiteer handbook of bogus narratives.

Thanks but no thanks.

7 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Deary me, the state of this. 

If ever there was ever an advert for the difference in views between here and the South East of England, SE16 3LN would be hard to top. 

The Mighty Thor

Apparently there's now some chat of the UK having a 'unilateral interpretation' of the backstop to get May's deal through. 

I'm not even sure what that means but I'm smelling shite.

Edited by The Mighty Thor

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

:cornette_dog:

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Apparently there's now some chat of the UK having a 'unilateral interpretation' of the backstop to get May's deal through. 

I'm not even sure what that means. 

It seems to be something akin to being allowed to have our own parallel universe,   delusionary notion of the withdrawal agreement.      If it was along these lines then the deal has no chance.     I think there will be a more practical difference in the nuts and bolts of the legal advice.

11 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Brexiteers simply won't take any responsibiltiy for the chaos they have created. Look at David Davis, Boris Johnson, DOminic Raab all now undermining the very settlement they themselves negotiated.

You voted for it. Grow up and own the shitstorm you voted for

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Like I said before, it's just a re-wording of the agreement to try to kid on to the DUP and ERG that the Backstop isn't there (but it is)

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It basically means that they will make an agreement, for which the UK already disagrees with what the terms actually mean. 

This is all a show to try and provide cover for any MPs that have previously been against a deal, voting for. Absolutely pathetic and completely unforgivable in my opinion - the Tory party/Westminster machine is corrupt to the core. 

No chance.    If it's as transparent as that then they wont get the numbers.     There will have to be something that can be credibly dressed up as substance.     Watch the Attorney General.

DUP of course want the Irish Peace Agreement to fall apart. That's their agenda or at least it's their supporters agenda.

Funny listening to Tory MPs one after the other saying "of course it has to meet the wishes of our DUP partners who keep our government going"..

PM TM in Strasbourg now for one final, on her knees, ugly crying pleading session for the EU to rip up their rule book and to ignore the Good Friday Agreement.

:jjyay:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

She’s left it so late that no-one will be able to scrutinise any agreement so it’ll get voted down regardless tomorrow.

Watt-Zeefuik

EU: Backstop necessary

Hard Brexiters: Backstop unacceptable

May: Hang on let me waste more weeks pretending to negotiate

Repeat ad nauseum

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

She’s left it so late that no-one will be able to scrutinise any agreement so it’ll get voted down regardless tomorrow.

She only needs to swindle her own side.    To give them something to justify falling in behind the deal.    Prevents no deal,  a troublesome referendum,   an election,  supposedly upholds democratic trust (lol).    Also prevents parliament from taking control.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Victorian said:

She only needs to swindle her own side.    To give them something to justify falling in behind the deal.    Prevents no deal,  a troublesome referendum,   an election,  supposedly upholds democratic trust (lol).    Also prevents parliament from taking control.

It’s so disingenuous it’s scary, as is the fact that no-one could stop that happening

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s so disingenuous it’s scary, as is the fact that no-one could stop that happening

It's very, very slimy.    But at the same time,    if part of a structured strategy all along,    quite bold and almost admirable.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )