Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Geoff the Mince

I don't know what's more depressing watching Hearts or listening to corrupt self serving slime that call themselves politicians .

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

I don't know what's more depressing watching Hearts or listening to corrupt self serving slime that call themselves politicians .

:laugh:

All that cobblers wont be enough for the ERG to drop their knickers.     It might be enough for a few (already rebellion minded) Labour rebels.

Individual constituency dynamics will also play a huge part.    

It's been a pretty decent strategy.    She menaced MPs by setting leave voting constituents against leave frustrating MPs.     Now the jail cell door is being left unlocked.     

The prime minister has secured "legally binding" changes to her Brexit deal a day ahead of MPs voting on it, according to the Cabinet Office minister. 
David Lidington told the Commons the changes "strengthen and improve" the withdrawal agreement that will see the UK leave the EU, as well as its future relationship with the bloc. 

SwindonJambo

Meantime, the Pound is absolutely soaring on the markets. Up 1.5% on the Euro and 1.75% on the US Dollar. Make of that what you will.

9 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Meantime, the Pound is absolutely soaring on the markets. Up 1.5% on the Euro and 1.75% on the US Dollar. Make of that what you will.

I make it im getting my dollars for NY next month.

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

I make it im getting my dollars for NY next month.

Fair eats into any foreign investments though. I'm making my 2nd ever visit to the US in June, including NY.

I've a sneaking feeling that this deal will now squeak through. Bookies' odds are shortening...

15 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Fair eats into any foreign investments though. I'm making my 2nd ever visit to the US in June, including NY.

I've a sneaking feeling that this deal will now squeak through. Bookies' odds are shortening...

Yup agreed.

The Mighty Thor

So nothing has changed then. 

Despite the pressers and fanfare she's come back with nothing other than the EU's permission to talk to herself over the backstop.

I can't see the ERG zealots letting that fly.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So nothing has changed then. 

Despite the pressers and fanfare she's come back with nothing other than the EU's permission to talk to herself over the backstop.

I can't see the ERG zealots letting that fly.  

Nah, no chance.

she’s an absolute fraud. Knows fine well that she’s achieving nothing and is deluded enough to think that the vote might magically pass anyway.

in terms of leadership, you’ll never see worse.

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nah, no chance.

she’s an absolute fraud. Knows fine well that she’s achieving nothing and is deluded enough to think that the vote might magically pass anyway.

In terms of politics in Britain, i dont think we have seen or will see worse than this entire collection of charlatans on all sides.

Choosing personal backstabbing, brinksmanship and party hardlining over representing the people.

Shameful.

Edited by Jamboelite

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Unfortunately for all of us the comedian that sits opposite her in parliament actually manages to make her look proficient. 

It's a shite state of affairs 

Ibrahim Tall
8 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

The bookies also thought 'Remain' won, they're as in the dark as anyone.

Mays secured nothing worthwhile, if she had she'd be shouting about the exact changes, not vaguely just saying she has "legally binding changes". On that basis I can't see it being voted for.

SwindonJambo
17 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

In terms of politics in Britain, i dont think we have seen or will see worse than this entire collection of charlatans on all sides.

Choosing personal backstabbing, brinksmanship and party hardlining over representing the people.

Shameful.

I’m 51 and I wholeheartedly agree. They’re all a bunch of self serving tossers cocooned in the bubble of politics, far removed from the real World and people’s everyday issues - that’s the people who elect them, put them in their well paid jobs with cushy pensions and expenses. The people they’re suppposed to serve and represent.

We have the most rubbish PM and Leader of the Opposition in my lifetime.

SwindonJambo
17 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

The bookies also thought 'Remain' won, they're as in the dark as anyone.

Mays secured nothing worthwhile, if she had she'd be shouting about the exact changes, not vaguely just saying she has "legally binding changes". On that basis I can't see it being voted for.

It wouldn’t be a shock and if so,  the pound will go back into reverse. Bookies and Opinion Polls have been known to get it badly wrong in recent years!

The rollercoaster ride continues. Answers on a postcard what happens next.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I’m 51 and I wholeheartedly agree. They’re all a bunch of self serving tossers cocooned in the bubble of politics, far removed from the real World and people’s everyday issues - that’s the people who elect them, put them in their well paid jobs with cushy pensions and expenses. The people they’re suppposed to serve and represent.

This.

Jambo-Jimbo
29 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Deal vote win odds come in again to 2/1.    As I see it right now there seems to be an awful lot of ground for her to make up but you can't rule it out.   The same bookie goes 3/10 on the vote losing.     They don't tend to expose themselves to obvious losses so those overall odds seem to suggest it is on a knife edge.

Edited by Victorian

Francis Albert

The Telegraph (ok it's the Telegraph) reporting that Blair has been briefing the French President on how to avoid Brexit, advising that the EU should stand firm and not cave in.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Deal vote win odds come in again to 2/1.    As I see it right now there seems to be an awful lot of ground gor her to make up but you can't rule it out.   The same bookie goes 3/10 on the vote losing.     They don't tend to expose themselves to obvious losses so those overall odds seem to suggest it is on a knife edge.

The odds are just changing because people started taking a chance on the long odds. Others then saw the odds react and jumped in before they shortened too much. 

The bookies know no more than us, they're just reacting to the market. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Unfortunately for all of us the comedian that sits opposite her in parliament actually manages to make her look proficient. 

It's a shite state of affairs 

Well this is true. All the people who danced around singing 'oh Jeremy Corbyn' after he lost the last election....roasters

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The odds are just changing because people started taking a chance on the long odds. Others then saw the odds react and jumped in before they shortened too much. 

The bookies know no more than us, they're just reacting to the market. 

I understand that but the 3/10 odds on losing the vote seems to expose them to potential losses too.     If it was very,  very likely to fail then 3/10 seems like buying money.     If the lose odds were suspended, that may indicate something else.

As a guide it's interesting.

SwindonJambo
15 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Well this is true. All the people who danced around singing 'oh Jeremy Corbyn' after he lost the last election....roasters

Yep, he would shit himself if he ever became Prime Minister and quickly discover the difference between being in Opposition where all he does is protest and being in Power, where you have to make actual decisions, react to difficult situations and be prepared for confrontation. He couldn't run a bath.

Corbyn was a backbencher for 32 years before most people had even heard of him. In that time Labour had 5 different leaders, not one of whom appointed him to a ministerial or shadow ministerial post. That speaks volumes.

13 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

Deary me, the state of this. 

If ever there was ever an advert for the difference in views between here and the South East of England, SE16 3LN would be hard to top. 

70% of Londoners voted to remain, as did I, so your opinion can be ignored straight away

13 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yeah that's chapter and verse from the Brexiteer handbook of bogus narratives.

Thanks but no thanks.

13 hours ago, RobboM said:

Brexiteers simply won't take any responsibiltiy for the chaos they have created. Look at David Davis, Boris Johnson, DOminic Raab all now undermining the very settlement they themselves negotiated.

You voted for it. Grow up and own the shitstorm you voted for

I voted and campaigned to remain. Unlike you, I'm mature enough to understand the way the EU imperialist empire works and that we are not being treated in a nice and fluffy way. :laugh2: Grow up, does anyone over 10 still say that? Get your head out the sand, your fingers out your ears, turn off Teletubbies and face reality children.

13 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:cornette_dog:

Is that your face when you try and grasp the most basic capitalist ideas

36 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Yep, he would shit himself if he ever became Prime Minister and quickly discover the difference between being in Opposition where all he does is protest and being in Power, where you have to make actual decisions, react to difficult situations and be prepared for confrontation. He couldn't run a bath.

Corbyn was a backbencher for 32 years before most people had even heard of him. In that time Labour had 5 different leaders, not one of whom appointed him to a ministerial or shadow ministerial post. That speaks volumes.

What it says is that he chose to oppose those leaders' policies and manner of leadership.    Remained true to his political beliefs instead of selling out in order to attain a position in cabinet or shadow cabinet.     It's open to question regarding whether or not he would have been deemed competent to occupy a front bench position under those leaders.      His absence does not absolutely confirm anything.

Edited by Victorian

Francis Albert
9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

70% of Londoners voted to remain, as did I, so your opinion can be ignored straight away

The proportions voting Remain and Leave in Greater London and Scotland were very similar - roughly 60/40.

The Remoaners (by which I don't mean those who voted Remain but those who refuse to accept the result) continually make sweeping generalisations such as ""Scots voted to remain ",  the North of of England are all thick racist Leavers and old people of course are all Little Englander (or British Empire nostalgists) hopfully dying off soon. (Minority votes only count if they support your position).

Yet May is castigated for not building a consensus and agreeing up front a common approach and objective! 

Bindy Badgy
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

It wouldn’t be a shock and if so,  the pound will go back into reverse. Bookies and Opinion Polls have been known to get it badly wrong in recent years!

Bookies more so than opinion polls. I think the errors associated with opinion polls have been overstated by people that don't really know how they work. For example, all of the opinion polls had Clinton ahead of Trump. However, they tended to be within the margin of error in the swing states that decided which way the election went so Trump winning wasn't as big a surprise as most people seemed to think it was.

A group of barristers have provided their opinion that the latest additions (nothing has changed) to the backstop legalities do not enable the UK to unilaterally withdraw from the backstop.    In no uncertain terms as well.    The Attorney General will say something entirely different.      That seems as certain.     

How will MPs weigh up the difference?    The Attorney General is a fully signed up,   collective responsibility burdened member of the government.      Part and parcel of the scheme to facilitate Brexit via May's strategy.      Those barristers undoubtedly have their own beliefs and possibly agendas.      

MPs have local constituency parties and voters to appease.     There remains a possibility that there will be an en masse,  collective self-justifying,   self-convincing move behind the deal.    

Dusk_Till_Dawn
25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

What it says is that he chose to oppose those leaders' policies and manner of leadership.    Remained true to his political beliefs instead of selling out in order to attain a position in cabinet or shadow cabinet.     It's open to question regarding whether or not he would have been deemed competent to occupy a front bench position under those leaders.      His absence does not absolutely confirm anything.

The reality with Corbyn is that he could only run a party/government effectively if everyone under him was a robot who did and thought exactly what he wanted them to. He's a proper Commie in that sense. Momentum are trying their best to give him that scenario but they mostly just come across as zealots.

So all that has happened is that the wishy-washy possible replacement of the backstop at some unspecified time in the future with some kind of as yet non-existent technological solution has been upgraded from "wishful thinking" to "legally binding".

:rofl:

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The reality with Corbyn is that he could only run a party/government effectively if everyone under him was a robot who did and thought exactly what he wanted them to. He's a proper Commie in that sense. Momentum are trying their best to give him that scenario but they mostly just come across as zealots.

Perhaps so.    But perhaps that is not too far removed from the more traditional,  more acceptable culture of collective cabinet responsibility.    Front benches have to 'support' all manner of policies and positions that they do not necessarily agree with.     On a routine basis.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )