• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theresa May has fed the Unicorn on some magic beans and miraculously it has started to breathe again. So we can vote for the new, slightly improved 'formula' and then we can all live happily ever after.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 minutes ago, 56anawthat said:

Theresa May has fed the Unicorn on some magic beans and miraculously it has started to breathe again. So we can vote for the new, slightly improved 'formula' and then we can all live happily ever after.

until 9pm or whatever when it gets voted down. Then the whole cycle starts again.

If she gets a delay and another few months to work on this, it'll be the biggest joke ever. Her job should hinge on tonight's vote.

Owen Smith (would be challenger for Labour leadership) seems to be fixated on the new format and pagination of the withdrawal agreement.      Thinks it's smaller look is in some way important and a dastardly government ploy.

13 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

until 9pm or whatever when it gets voted down. Then the whole cycle starts again.

If she gets a delay and another few months to work on this, it'll be the biggest joke ever. Her job should hinge on tonight's vote.

The indication before for was she will try again with another vote in 2 weeks. 

ERG to closely follow DUPs position = ERG begging DUP to enable mass face saving get out clause.    They've chucked it and are looking around the room for the least worst window to jump through.

19. However, the legal risk remains unchanged that if through no such demonstrable failure of either party, but simply because of intractable differences, that situation does arise, the United Kingdom would have, at least while the fundamental circumstances remained the same, no internationally lawful means of exiting the Protocol’s arrangements, save by agreement.

22 minutes ago, Victorian said:

ERG to closely follow DUPs position = ERG begging DUP to enable mass face saving get out clause.    They've chucked it and are looking around the room for the least worst window to jump through.

So the DUP who are out of step with the majority position on Europe of the people of N.Ireland and may have another agenda regarding the Peace Agreement, get to say what happens in the Government and the Conservative Party. 

SwindonJambo
12 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

I make it im getting my dollars for NY next month.

. .and back down again it goes. The pound is about as stable as Donald Trump's brain.

Conservatives must be pining for a new harder Brexit Prime Minister.

It's a high stakes game of poker to vote down the Deal.

Revoking Article 50 and no Brexit is possible. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m going to say the May deal gets defeated by greater than 50 votes.

Oh, easy. It’ll be the same result as last time.

Juncker will have to do his 'third time'.

But there is no way through. The backstop is the backstop. Can't be temporary legally though of course it would be unless Brexiteers are right and it is a dastardly EU plot. 

God almighty what I would give to see Cox resign and spill the beans on what pressure was put on him to provide a different answer of the highest integrity.

:rofl:

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

God almighty what I would give to see Cox resign and spill the beans on what pressure was put on him to provide a different answer of the highest integrity.

:rofl:

He’ll cash in on that with a quality book.

All depends now on how much the loons that are the DUP and ERG want some form of Brexit over potentially no Brexit at all.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I was about to ask that.

He is wearing two hats. The first part was his legal advice. Which was impartial. The second part was him being party political.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Perhaps so.    But perhaps that is not too far removed from the more traditional,  more acceptable culture of collective cabinet responsibility.    Front benches have to 'support' all manner of policies and positions that they do not necessarily agree with.     On a routine basis.

Not just collective cabinet responsibility, but traditionally back bench MPs were mainly lobby fodder, voting with the party whips to ensure their (in the majority of cases safe) seats were retained, often for life or until elevation to the Lords. Apart from a few personalities and eccentrics little was heard from most backbenchers - no TV interviews or appearances. If they were conscientious or were in a marginal seats where a few hundred "personal" votes might be critical they became "good constituency  MPs getting publicity in local media.

One thing that has struck me in the last months is how much MPs are enjoying it all and the attention and publicity they get from 24 hour news channel channels and other blanket coverage of Brexit.. You get the impression many are touring College Green searching for microphones (of which there is no shortage) to speak to. In the absence of Cosbynista-like party discipline it is difficult to see the genie being put back in the bottle as far as party discipline is concerned. You can argue that would be a good thing, but the general quality of MPs on display suggests that the result may be not be independence of thought  but the triumph of stupidity.

...a bit disco

ERG not happy. Will vote against it.

Probably safe to say ditto DUP 

1 minute ago, ...a bit disco said:

ERG not happy. Will vote against it.

Probably safe to say ditto DUP 

This self styled Star Chambers of lawyers that the ERG has. Nigel Dodds is one of them. No chance DUP are backing this.

...a bit disco
Just now, Notts1874 said:

This self styled Star Chambers of lawyers that the ERG has. Nigel Dodds is one of them. No chance DUP are backing this.

Amazing what a ripe billion from the magic money tree buys you these days 

Or not.

5 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Amazing what a ripe billion from the magic money tree buys you these days 

Or not.

It seems their price has gone up in the past couple of years.

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

It seems their price has gone up in the past couple of years.

Seems so.

:biggrin:

5 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Tory backbenchers calling for an election when she loses the vote tonight.

It takes time to organise an election. What would do in the meantime - no deal exit?

I back up all the other comments on how this is the worst group of politicians we've been faced with, certainly in my lifetime. The principle of idiocracy in action.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It takes time to organise an election. What would do in the meantime - no deal exit?

I back up all the other comments on how this is the worst group of politicians we've been faced with, certainly in my lifetime. The principle of idiocracy in action.

I have no idea ???. Neither do any of our elected politicians either. From top to bottom.

Cox says negotiations are over.  At an end.

Funny but.    Always BEFORE a vote we're told that.    Always AFTER  a vote we're told May's going back to renegotiate.    

One might suspect deceit at play.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Cox says negotiations are over.  At an end.

Funny but.    Always BEFORE a vote we're told that.    Always AFTER  a vote we're told May's going back to renegotiate.    

One might suspect deceit at play.

I think this time it is truly done there is  nothing more to be said really...May has stalled, and stalled and stalled some more and came back with a few different words on a document which basically said the same thing. 

The EU can't negotiate on the backstop they have said it since day one. I don't know what May and her cronies thought would happen if the kept on stalling...that the EU would crumble and give in?

Either rip the band aid off and leave with no deal or call another referendum. Delaying Brexit by a few months won't change a thing. 

So far the number of MPs who have said they will be changing their mind and backing the deal (across all parties) is..........14.

So, only 101 more to go then to break even in her previous record defeat of 230 votes.

:gok:

doctor jambo

She, and we, are utterly gubbed.

We have no time, no leadership, no opposition, no plan B, no plan A for that matter.

Can Javid not remove my UK citizenship and let me wander the world stateless- please?

DUP and ERG torpedo the deal.

Deal's dead.

If Parliament then votes to block a no-deal then we'll probably have to extend Art 50 then have a General Election to find some sort of government that can have a majority or a workable coalition not held to ransom by religious fundamentalists.

But then they'd have to make a deal.

Which the EU says has already been done.

So we'd just come right back to the backstop issue again.

:look:Total paralysis because of the UK's contradictory red lines.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

DUP and ERG torpedo the deal.

Deal's dead.

If Parliament then votes to block a no-deal then we'll probably have to extend Art 50 then have a General Election to find some sort of government that can have a majority or a workable coalition not held to ransom by religious fundamentalists.

But then they'd have to make a deal.

Which the EU says has already been done.

So we'd just come right back to the backstop issue again.

:look:Total paralysis because of the UK's contradictory red lines.

Or have another referendum?

May could get her deal through if it were put to the people.  I reckon enough MPs would vote for that.

May's deal or remain.

Edited by Boris

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )