Elvis interviewed (merged)

Never Let Them Forget

Geoff Kilpatrick

Falkirk are not a top flight team. And their record since proves they were punching above their weight.

In an ideal world I'd like us to have a manager with a great track record but none of the names mentioned so far really do. I'd prefer someone like Elvis who at least has managed in different countries than gambling on another rookie like we've done with the last two appointments.

Elvis isn't my first choice for the job but if he gets it then I'll be pleased we have a guy who is desperate to win every game and knows what the club and fans expect.

Lots of people want Sergio back but his recent record is absolutely abysmal.

I don't want another rookie either. I'm comparing him to those who have applied. As for Sergio, he's achieved far more than Pressley has.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Captain Canada

Good post m8. I've absolutely nothing against Elvis at all but I would prefer Freedman over him.

If he gets the job though, and I think he's got a good chance, then I'll be right behind him and the club and giving my support as always.

That's the attitude everyone should have.

People couldn't wait for Cathro to fail and already folk are saying they don't want Elvis to come back.

Managers are always temporary - we've had a lot worse than Elvis when Vlad was in charge.

If he gets the job and some of our support want him to fail, then it just defies logic.

Geoff Kilpatrick

As a big Hearts fans of the 80's-90's Geoff and someone who is intelligent enough to know way better I'm surprised you would use such a 'nothing' example as why the shit said about Gary Mackay could be justifiable. Gary Mackay getting paid a few quid (which is literally all it will be) to contribute some soundbites is hardly worthy of some of the disgraceful comment about him on this site.

Give me an example of something "disgraceful" said about him? If that includes calling his reactions "knee jerk" then I apologise in advance.

Son Of Anarchy

Haha. Yip, it's one I never seem to get right.

Its really simple bud. Hearts legends like Dave and Gary are always MACKAY. A mere Mckay is for Billy etc :thumbsup:

Bowmans_Boot

Give me an example of something "disgraceful" said about him? If that includes calling his reactions "knee jerk" then I apologise in advance.

Gary does get an OTT hard time on here, Geoff, lets be honest. I dont agree with everything he says but he was one of my big heroes and it doesnt sit well with me at all.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Gary does get an OTT hard time on here, Geoff, lets be honest. I dont agree with everything he says but he was one of my big heroes and it doesnt sit well with me at all.

Maybe you summed up why some people are desperate to get Pressley back. Mackay is a Hearts legend but it shouldn't mean that he gets a free pass on his articles.

Captain Canada

I don't want another rookie either. I'm comparing him to those who have applied. As for Sergio, he's achieved far more than Pressley has.

His career includes things like this though from a recent spell in UAE.

However, he probably would have felt better about his time in the Middle East had he won any of his 11 games.

Once more, the club managed to scrape together enough points to avoid the drop after Sergio?s departure.

Its really simple bud. Hearts legends like Dave and Gary are always MACKAY. A mere Mckay is for Billy etc :thumbsup:

Noted. :-).

Billy Mckay. Haha, I mind him and robbo on the double panini stickers.

Geoff Kilpatrick

His career includes things like this though from a recent spell in UAE.

However, he probably would have felt better about his time in the Middle East had he won any of his 11 games.

Once more, the club managed to scrape together enough points to avoid the drop after Sergio?s departure.

The club didn't help themselves with the McGlynn / Locke combo but that was a financial necessity.

Bowmans_Boot

Maybe you summed up why some people are desperate to get Pressley back. Mackay is a Hearts legend but it shouldn't mean that he gets a free pass on his articles.

Not really. I dont agree at all with everything Gary does or says, but I do trust that he believes it is for the good of our club. He IS one of us.

Pressley? Not so much.

Pressley shouldn't get the job as there are other candidates out there with better records,it's as simple as that.

I actually have an instinct that he would be a good Hearts manager but you don't appoint on a feeling, it should be on track record and if we're even just looking domestically,Hartley and Houston have better records.

Let's not forget he also called a Hearts a 'provincial' club and that his Scottish Cup wins at Celtic were 'a lot more satisfying that when at Hearts'

Complete snake. No way wilill I ever take him back at Hearts.

Is this a fact?

Bowmans_Boot

Is this a fact?

The "provincial" comment or the other one?

I cant remember the latter but yes, he did call us "a provincial club" on several occasions.

I cant remember the latter but yes, he did call us "a provincial club" on several occasions.

Both really. Can't ever recall hearing about either.

Too many remembering Pressley for the great captain he was rather than judging him on the god-awful manager he is now

Correct

And he was such a great captain, on pitch motivator and leader that i can't believe he's been such a shite manager.

I'd have put the house on him being a very good manager.

But he is a shite manager and he should by now have shown some promise, which I just can't see.

Bowmans_Boot

Both really. Can't ever recall hearing about either.

Search Steven Pressley & provincial and youll see a few different quotes. The Scotsman 5/07/11 & the Coventry Telegraph 13/12/13 are two examples.

Everything in my hearts says give him a chance........everything in my head tells me to look at his record and think again.

I would love him to get a chance, be a huge success but can we afford another gamble ?

I googled it and found one interview from 2012 when he was being very complimentary towards Hearts. The article is on the London hearts site.

He very possibly does not understand the meaning of the word provincial. Many journalists don't either and refer to non OF clubs as provincial or Edinburgh as a provincial city - and they are supposed to be experts in "words" - so it's not the worst thing in the world.

If some Hearts fans are genuinely upset at that they really do need to get a life. As I say he clearly thinks provincial means smaller, and he would be correct in the context of what he's saying.

Everything in my hearts says give him a chance........everything in my head tells me to look at his record and think again.

I would love him to get a chance, be a huge success but can we afford another gamble ?

No

As it would be a gamble that would turn a number of fans against Budge and her judgement.

And there are no obvious signs of it succeeding.

No little seeds or nuggets of potential.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Er, he took Falkirk down. In addition, no one said he's the worst ever manager (it would be hard to beat Cathro in that one). People are saying his past record isn't good enough.

Put it this way. Had he never played for Hearts, would you want a manager with his record?

He also did his best to get Fleetwood relegated - and was then shown up when Uwe Rosler came in and took him to the play-offs.

Ne'er mind though. "HE'S GOAT PASSHUN"

Search Steven Pressley & provincial and youll see a few different quotes. The Scotsman 5/07/11 & the Coventry Telegraph 13/12/13 are two examples.

Not disputing the fact. His antics after leaving our club made my stomach turn, both on and off the pitch. Just surprised I hadn't heard it before.

My boy played with his son up at Riccarton so we often crossed paths. The one word that continually popped in my head when he swanned about like lord of the manner was whanker!

I'll be gutted if the rumours are true.

Bowmans_Boot

Not disputing the fact. His antics after leaving our club made my stomach turn, both on and off the pitch. Just surprised I hadn't heard it before.

My boy played with his son up at Riccarton so we often crossed paths. The one word that continually popped in my head when he swanned about like lord of the manner was whanker!

I'll be gutted if the rumours are true.

Me too.

Jambo 4 Ever

I googled it and found one interview from 2012 when he was being very complimentary towards Hearts. The article is on the London hearts site.

He very possibly does not understand the meaning of the word provincial. Many journalists don't either and refer to non OF clubs as provincial or Edinburgh as a provincial city - and they are supposed to be experts in "words" - so it's not the worst thing in the world.

If some Hearts fans are genuinely upset at that they really do need to get a life. As I say he clearly thinks provincial means smaller, and he would be correct in the context of what he's saying.

This

Bowmans_Boot

I think both journalists and SP fully understand the meaning of the word.

Biased OF journalists using it to describe us: it irritates the hell out of me but I understand their motives.

A club legend using it to describe us: completely disrespectful. At the very least. That would imply to me that he didnt "get" Hearts quite as well as many (myself included) believe he did.

The fact that there is 18 pages of debate about SP tells its own story. Bet he wishes that Fish had applied for the job.

He is a monumental bellend and a terrible manager with an opinion of himself that is rivaled by very few.

This would be a terrible appointment.

Don't want that cretin anywhere near Heart Of Midlothian.

I was in section N that day too and felt sick at his actions. He was my hero. It was not directed at the directors. It also wouldn't have made a difference as to what shirt he had on. The over zealous celebrations at the goal and at the end were absolutely disrespectful to the fans & club that gave him the best years of his career.

His behaviour when Falkirk played is was also telling of his true personality. He has been disrespectful in the vast majority of any interviews he has done about Hearts.

He is above all else a shocking manager.

I think both journalists and SP fully understand the meaning of the word.

Biased OF journalists using it to describe us: it irritates the hell out of me but I understand their motives.

A club legend using it to describe us: completely disrespectful. At the very least. That would imply to me that he didnt "get" Hearts quite as well as many (myself included) believe he did.

This is tin foil hat stuff surely? Are you suggesting he preplanned that he would call Hearts a provincial club? He's not even from Glasgow. He's a Highlander who only spent 6 years or so in Glasgow. He obviously meant smaller. And you're giving journos too much credit - they genuinely don't know the meaning of provincial. I've heard London journos and politicians refer to Edinburgh as a provincial city.

Even then do we now believe the DR accurately reports interviews when we know they don't. This doesn't even sound right "Winning the Cup with Hearts, a provincial club, was an enormous..." Who speaks like that?

?He's not my top choice as manager but this holding off the cuff things against him is daft. He grew up at Rangers and then played at Celtic. Of course he sees Hearts as a smaller club because we are.

Are folk really "feeling sick" and having their "stomach turned" at the thought of this? Wow. What delicate lives you must lead.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Are folk really "feeling sick" and having their "stomach turned" at the thought of this? Wow. What delicate lives you must lead.

It would all end in tears. Worst possible appointment on 2nd to keeping Cathro.

You see, he's a snake, but that's not the reason people don't want him. The reason is He's an egotistical maniac.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Not really. It's depressing more than anything as he would be an awful appointment.

Son Of Anarchy

Not really. It's depressing more than anything as he would be an awful appointment.

Correct, although the idea of a mass pukefest is befitting.

Oh, and I still say his convincing the ref to overturn a Hearts penalty when playing for Falkirk was far worse than any chest thumping.

So... ex-players should not try hard for their own clubs and do everything not to beat their old club?

I await Matic ghosting against Chelsea, Allan scoring an og for Hibs, Gordon having a "bad day" for us and Daly getting his team not to turn up against Rangers...

So... ex-players should not try hard for their own clubs and do everything not to beat their old club?

I await Matic ghosting against Chelsea, Allan scoring an og for Hibs, Gordon having a "bad day" for us and Daly getting his team not to turn up against Rangers...

Where has anyone said that?

He is a monumental bellend and a terrible manager with an opinion of himself that is rivaled by very few.

This would be a terrible appointment.

Don't want that cretin anywhere near Heart Of Midlothian.

I was in section N that day too and felt sick at his actions. He was my hero. It was not directed at the directors. It also wouldn't have made a difference as to what shirt he had on. The over zealous celebrations at the goal and at the end were absolutely disrespectful to the fans & club that gave him the best years of his career.

His behaviour when Falkirk played is was also telling of his true personality. He has been disrespectful in the vast majority of any interviews he has done about Hearts.

He is above all else a shocking manager.

I'm going to be bold here: his actions to me suggest he puts his all and everything into every club he has played for. That smacks of professionalism in a game far too long blighted by blind loyalties and a doffed cap attitude.

I don't recall him being sympathetic to Dundee United or Rangers when with us. So I wouldn't be it from him when he left.

We as a club - ie the Hearts board of the day - threw him out, followed it up by selling Hartley a matter of months later and Gordon not long after that, for what he rightly said about the ineffectual and worrying way in which Hearts operated then. Which in hindsight looks more and more like concern for how the club was run.

On the whole thing of chest thumping/loyalties etc - I recall Rudi signed for Dundee United after the cup. I seem to recall he was brought on at Tynie to rapturous applause and a 51st minute applause. Frankly to me we shouldn't have done that. He's a club hero yes, but he was in another teams colours. If I was a Dundee United fan I'd have been furious he took the applause as he did as he did at thst point drop out of the game.

I don't totally get all this. But if Pressley signs as coach then he'll get my backing and I'd hope he comes good. Frankly, it's a safer appointment than Cathro was.

Where has anyone said that?

It's the logical conclusion of GKs point. In effect, because he used to captain us he, as Falkirk captain, shouldn't have spoken to the ref about that decision. Nor celebrated a goal he scored for anpther club against us.

It's the logical conclusion of GKs point. In effect, because he used to captain us he, as Falkirk captain, shouldn't have spoken to the ref about that decision. Nor celebrated a goal he scored for anpther club against us.

Don't think that's anyone's point. Nobody would expect him to give his all against us for whoever he played for. The point is he behaved like a complete bellend out with the matches

Son Of Anarchy

I'm going to be bold here: his actions to me suggest he puts his all and everything into every club he has played for. That smacks of professionalism in a game far too long blighted by blind loyalties and a doffed cap attitude.

I don't recall him being sympathetic to Dundee United or Rangers when with us. So I wouldn't be it from him when he left.

We as a club - ie the Hearts board of the day - threw him out, followed it up by selling Hartley a matter of months later and Gordon not long after that, for what he rightly said about the ineffectual and worrying way in which Hearts operated then. Which in hindsight looks more and more like concern for how the club was run.

On the whole thing of chest thumping/loyalties etc - I recall Rudi signed for Dundee United after the cup. I seem to recall he was brought on at Tynie to rapturous applause and a 51st minute applause. Frankly to me we shouldn't have done that. He's a club hero yes, but he was in another teams colours. If I was a Dundee United fan I'd have been furious he took the applause as he did as he did at thst point drop out of the game.

I don't totally get all this. But if Pressley signs as coach then he'll get my backing and I'd hope he comes good. Frankly, it's a safer appointment than Cathro was.

Your view is your view and you are indeed welcome to that view but comparing SP and Rudi? Kin ell man :lol:

Put everything to one side. Would you want SP as head coach purely on his managerial record and nothing else?

Your view is your view and you are indeed welcome to that view but comparing SP and Rudi? Kin ell man :lol:

Put everything to one side. Would you want SP as head coach purely on his managerial record and nothing else?

Not comparing the men those players are, I'm comparing those situations. If I were a Dundee United fan I'd want Rudi nowhere near the squad against us after that, that's an issue no team can afford imo.

Dunno - I'm not making that call. If the rest are unobtainable then yes I would. Falkirk haven't budged out under better managers than Pressley and the best of their squad when we were in that league - Alston, Sibbald, Vaulks - were blooded by Pressley on no budget. His time at Coventry is marred by administration, no home ground and points deductions - yet he kept them up. And Fleetwood seems to have been a interim post to prevent relegation which was achieved. So I wouldn't say he's a failure. Perhaps unlucky in his jobs.

Freedman could bomb. McClaren could flop. Coyle could walk to be U-12s coach at Celtic. None of these others mooted are any safer than Pressley. And none will unit every fan frankly.p

Jambo 4 Ever

Well said

Some people have to grow up

Son Of Anarchy

Not comparing the men those players are, I'm comparing those situations. If I were a Dundee United fan I'd want Rudi nowhere near the squad against us after that, that's an issue no team can afford imo.

Dunno - I'm not making that call. If the rest are unobtainable then yes I would. Falkirk haven't budged out under better managers than Pressley and the best of their squad when we were in that league - Alston, Sibbald, Vaulks - were blooded by Pressley on no budget. His time at Coventry is marred by administration, no home ground and points deductions - yet he kept them up. And Fleetwood seems to have been a interim post to prevent relegation which was achieved. So I wouldn't say he's a failure. Perhaps unlucky in his jobs.

Freedman could bomb. McClaren could flop. Coyle could walk to be U-12s coach at Celtic. None of these others mooted are any safer than Pressley. And none will unit every fan frankly.p

None will divide more. That's kinda important plus I'd suggest he is indeed a failure so far in management.

As for Rudi, he's exactly what I'd expect from a Hearts legend. SP was but is far from that now.

Well said

Some people have to grow up

Yes. Yes you do. You need to find the money get someone to tutor you in fact.

None will divide more. That's kinda important plus I'd suggest he is indeed a failure so far in management.

As for Rudi, he's exactly what I'd expect from a Hearts legend. SP was but is far from that now.

We won't know till it happens or not.

Equally, on Rudi, whilst a hero to me that behaviour was thoroughly unprofessional. We weren't paying his wages and he was in another clubs colours.

:2thumbsup:

Archived