Come on Ann get Cathro sacked ( merged )

mitch41

samcdonald22

a wee reminder ....Hearts have won only five of the 17 games since 30-year-old Cathro took charge.

At that stage, they were three points ahead of Saturday's opponents Aberdeen. Now they're 17 behind.

A five-point advantage over St Johnstone has now become a two-point deficit, with the Perth team taking over fourth place.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did we struggle against Elgin or East Fife exactly? We were never in any danger at any point in either game.

Hanging on to a 1-0 win at Elgin was a doddle right enough!   We could have given away a last minute penalty there too!

I disagree about this being one of the worst results in our history, and I'm sorry but the time of the season definitely is a factor, also is the fact that this is a new team playing together and also a new formation for many

It might not be the "worst" in terms of importance, but it is the most EMBARRASSING!!

Line up all the excuses you want - that defeat last night was inexcusable.

The Apprentice

I disagree about this being one of the worst results in our history, and I'm sorry but the time of the season definitely is a factor, also is the fact that this is a new team playing together and also a new formation for many

It's the same time of season for both teams though. As for us being a new team playing together, have you seen the turnover of players Peterhead have had this summer? Bar a couple they've replaced most of their squad. Add to that they are a part time team so will have had no where near as much training/preparation for these games and haven't spent a full week away in Ireland to getting to know each other.

Last night was completely unacceptable.

gowestjambo

When did we struggle against Elgin or East Fife exactly? We were never in any danger at any point in either game.

You obviously were not at Elgin to make the above comment. Hearts struggled all night, and Elgin were denied a stonewall penalty in the last minute. Most Hearts fans there said Elgin deserved a draw.

Lucille's Thirsty

If we go out of the cup to Dunfermline that surely has to be the breaking point for him

If that happens if he has the balls by waiting to be sacked,if Dunfermline beat us he should resign not wait to be sacked.

Holyrood_Hearts

Hanging on to a 1-0 win at Elgin was a doddle right enough! We could have given away a last minute penalty there too!

Tbh I only seen the highlights of Elgin & penalty aside we didn't appear to be hanging on.

We certainly didn't struggle v East Fife.

Holyrood_Hearts

You obviously were not at Elgin to make the above comment. Hearts struggled all night, and Elgin were denied a stonewall penalty in the last minute. Most Hearts fans there said Elgin deserved a draw.

No I didn't go to the game. If I'm wrong I apologise.

The Treasurer

Yes previous owners should hang their heads in shame with some of the dross they have employed as manager. Ann needs to act quickly and employ a manager that knows what he is doing.

Taxi for Cathro.

I ask you again, Who ?

The Treasurer

Levein has to go with Cathro. New Manager with new Director of Football but Manager only answers to the full board as the Director of Football is only there to support the Manager and his coach's , scouts ect.

Some names to add to your great plan would be useful

Captain America

He has been in charge for 29 games. He has lost 15 games. 

7 of these games were against lower league opposition. 

Wanting him gone is not a knee jerk reaction to 1 result. It is about his whole time in charge. 

With the arrival of Berra and Lafferty and finally a more than capable left back along with other signings we had reason to be feeling up for the forthcoming season. But some people dont realise that WE STILL DO!!! We were never going to go the season unbeaten. We were always going to lose games and yes we shouldn't have lost yesterday but similar has happened to teams far bigger than us. We need to hit the ground running in the league but the positivity for the WHOLE season can't disappear because of one shock defeat. Still firmly believe that we can have a more than solid season with a European spot and hope that every hearts fan gets right behind the team every single week. After all many former players have said that it was the crowd that gave them that extra 10% when they were struggling in a game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I ask you again, Who ?

Of course speculating is always part of a football forum. BUT just because people are justifiably - in my opinion - calling for Cathro to be replaced it doesnt follow they have to come up with a replacement - that will be someone's specific job at the football club. 

I would be happy to spend sometime thinking about specific replacements if you could advise of job spec, expectations, salary and benefits. It would also be useful to know transfer budgets.

Because without this information people are working in a very narrow market.

the big show

I ask you again, Who ?

Really hard question to answer because we have a DOF in place and there is a lot of managers out there " WHO " will not work under this practice but i got a feeling you know that , However take the DOF out of the equation and i can assure there would be plenty to your question of WHO ...  it does beg the question though why he only gets guys in he has worked with before or knows or maybe thats just a coincidence although i don't think so ...

I'll go on Saturday and give my backing and not get on anyone's back but it's last chance saloon for him for me. He's lost in the woods now and irrespective of what's said on here he must be feeling very isolated. No one wanted him to fail but it's getting to a crossroads. I wanted a replacement tail end of last season but realised it wasn't happening. I'm no manager but what's being served up just isn't working by the looks of it and he'll need a great performance and result on Saturday to get more time. Of course I hope we win and qualify but failure to do so and it's indefensible even for the staunchest Cathro supporters

ford donald

Really hard question to answer because we have a DOF in place and there is a lot of managers out there " WHO " will not work under this practice but i got a feeling you know that , However take the DOF out of the equation and i can assure there would be plenty to your question of WHO ...  it does beg the question though why he only gets guys in he has worked with before or knows or maybe thats just a coincidence although i don't think so ...

Levein is the stumbling block.

Seriously it is borderline funny reading most of the negative posts on here

Regardless of what people are saying, this is still very much pre season, I know these games are competitive but you can't judge the new team in July, we would be a laughing stock if the club made a change in July!!

Let's see where we are by the time aberdeen come to tynecastle and pass judgement then, by that point we should also have the new GK and attacking midfielder the club are hoping to bring in, theres no doubt our midfield lacks attacking quality and our GK isn't up to standard but I'm still optimistic for next season if both of these are addressed

Personally I like the possession style of football, sadly I think we need to speed it up and turn into positive attacks quicker, but I genuinely think that will happen, we saw it V Newcastle

And let's all be honest....Peterhead away at anytime of the season would have been a potential banana skin

So let's all put our calm pants back on and just see where we are come the aberdeen game

There is borderline funny and there is fecking hilarious.

The comment above from you is the latter. How can a match against part time oppostion playing in League 2 be a banana skin!?

The Treasurer

It shouldn't be a hard question for the OP to answer.

He seems very definite that the present manager should be replaced so I assume he has someone in mind that he would see as the ideal replacement.

Whether his favoured choice would be interested or not is irrelevant to answering my question.

Agents are well aware of the score at clubs, it can't make getting new signings over the line easy when you look at our recent form and throw in last night's result. You would think twice before you advised Hearts to your client.

Not really

We signed players under Romanov and were a complete and utter shambles most of the time with no loyalty to managers whatsoever.

Hearts are a big club and for some players an ideal place to play and prove themselves.

This stuff really bugs me. Why can't some people accept a run of bad results without resorting to spurious personal attacks?

Hearts fans couldn't even accept good runs of results under Neilson without resorting to spurious personal attacks.

But I agree with you.

Why post this when you know it's nonsense ?

No one will back Cathro if we lose our next six or seven games...no one !

I'm quite confident of that. Those of us who have purchased Season books will have faith that the club will do the right thing if the worst happens...and they will.

If they don't, you will, no doubt, have plenty of recruits for any propsed action you'll be planning.

While you just sit on your hands. I'll never boo or embarras the team but i'll let Cathro and Ann Budge know my feelings unless there's a major turn around. I believe Cathro can't manage Hearts and we deserve a manager who can manage. The guy is out of his depth and you know it.

been here before

While you just sit on your hands. I'll never boo or embarras the team but i'll let Cathro and Ann Budge know my feelings unless there's a major turn around.I believe Cathro can't manage Hearts and we deserve a manager who can manage. The guy is out of his depth and you know it.

What is it you're doing to let them know?

Presumably a little more than randomly posting online hoping they see it.

the big show

Some names to add to your great plan would be useful

it's one thing asking for names m8 but as you and i and plenty others know not every manager would work under our operation so that right away makes our options limited , However given what has went before us this last season and a half and this latest farce at what point do we question as to what has went on and going on it is not working ..  Now Given how much the fans has backed the club personally speaking i think they have every right to get answers , However on far to many occasions it would seem that nobody is accountable . huh they say a cats got 9 lifes it would seem our dof and management have more ... 

John Findlay

I think that you are being unrealistic.Of course there is a responsibility on individual players but that can only go so far.Management is the key to the performance of a team in terms of leadership, motivation of individuals and team,man management,team cohesion,style of play,role of players, team set up etc.Its why the appointment of manager/head coach is seen as key.Good managers get the best out of players and a team.

Players get the best out of themselves. The modern footballer knows that no matter how poorly he plays his is not the head shouted for as in being sacked. Still say it's time for the players to stand up and be counted. To me they get it far to easy nowadays.

Signs of improvement against East Fife aye? Banana skin Peterhead? No, not with the players we have. It's ****ing horrendous much like last season and Cathro hasn't a clue. Everyone wants him to succeed when many have doubted but it's not going to happen, he's not a football manager at this level. Gamble failed time to cash out now before everything is lost. Well done Macphee for getting us Isma and Laff, a coaching role for him should be there but the rest, bolt.

Can you name anybody that would make us worse?

Butcher, Stubbs, Fenlon, Jim Duffy.

Cathro is Colin Calderwood in disguise. Both no baf backroom staff but haven't a clue as a manager and think they are better than they are based on **** all.

Cathro is Colin Calderwood in disguise. Both no baf backroom staff but haven't a clue as a manager and think they are better than they are based on **** all.

All those you have quoted have a reasonable if very unspectacular record in this league...I'd wager better than Cathro...and that's frightening!

Enzo Chiefo

I would put Cathro in charge of the Academy as that is where his skills would be best utilised. You don't hold down a position with Valencia and then work under Rafa Benitez if you're a dummy. However, it is clear that Cathro does not have the presence or personality to actually organise and motivate a team. Unfortunately, the Scottish game is as much about "dig" as it is skill. Whatever magical formation or passing game you can develop in a league such as the SPFL, it will not function without the effort, hunger and desire of each player. To get that, you need an experienced and respected manager that isnt afraid to make tough decisions and put a few noses out of joint. That man is not Cathro.

I would also keep Austin MacPhee in perhaps a similar role to the one he operates in for NI. However, we need a reasonably experienced manager that the players and support would get behind immediately. Michael O'Neill is on about 500k a year and would,I reckon, be out of our league financially. So, I would go for Sir Paul Hartley.

kingantti1874

Well that's just not true now is it?

Is it not? I wasn't alive for 7-0 I thought it was far far worse than 6-2..we were absolutely pummeled

While you just sit on your hands. I'll never boo or embarras the team but i'll let Cathro and Ann Budge know my feelings unless there's a major turn around. I believe Cathro can't manage Hearts and we deserve a manager who can manage. The guy is out of his depth and you know it.

What ?

I was replying to a post where you said " the Cathro lovers " would still back him if we got relegated. I said no one would.

What the hell has that got to do with what you've posted above ?

kingantti1874

You realise all of those.. Including terry butcher had a better record than Cathro currently has..

What is it you're doing to let them know?

Presumably a little more than randomly posting online hoping they see it.

You've got perseverance, mate, i'll give you that.

I was about to ask similar then realised it was pointless.

I would put Cathro in charge of the Academy as that is where his skills would be best utilised. You don't hold down a position with Valencia and then work under Rafa Benitez if you're a dummy. However, it is clear that Cathro does not have the presence or personality to actually organise and motivate a team. Unfortunately, the Scottish game is as much about "dig" as it is skill. Whatever magical formation or passing game you can develop in a league such as the SPFL, it will not function without the effort, hunger and desire of each player. To get that, you need an experienced and respected manager that isnt afraid to make tough decisions and put a few noses out of joint. That man is not Cathro.

I would also keep Austin MacPhee in perhaps a similar role to the one he operates in for NI. However, we need a reasonably experienced manager that the players and support would get behind immediately. Michael O'Neill is on about 500k a year and would,I reckon, be out of our league financially. So, I would go for Sir Paul Hartley.

I don't think we can afford Cathro in any other capacity. He can work as an assistant at a higher level. He's in our price range now because he is inexperienced as a #1.

If we do move him on I'd rather go for Steven Pressley/ Jack Ross or Peter Houston. SPH underachieved big time with Dundee in relation to their budget. 

Anyway, I hope Cathro starts well and this was just a blip.

The modern way. Manager/coach is always to blame. Players get off Scot free. Ah but the manager sets them up he decides the tactics blah blah ******* blah.

Can football players not think for themselves nowadays? Ian Cathro didn't give the penalty away. Arnaud Djoum did.

Ian Cathro didn't hit the bar when it may have been easier to score, Jamie Walker did. Christophe Berra is a great leader. Where was that leadership last night?

I may not have played professional football. I know one thing when I had a poor game on the pitch it wasn't the managers fault I played poorly it was my own. Like all facets of modern society personal responsibility appears to be a no no. Time for the players to man up and show they care playing for Hearts and us Hearts supporters.

Some truth to that and certainly for too long the Hearrs squad have been letting down the support. However given the underperforming it requires strong leadership to put a stop to it and that is where I have no confidence in Cathro. Do you think he went through Djoum for giving away the penalty? How about Walker for his miss and negligible contribution? How about the entire team for their slow and lethargic start to the game? Or explained that we will not now be seeded even with a win on Saturday and therefore likely face a much more difficult last 16 tie?

Nah, I very much doubt that any of the above happened because we have nobody driving the bus. It's go through the motions, try to play some fairytale style of football with mediocre players, pretend that we are somehow creating some new philosophy etc etc. The players need to get a ****ing grip but without any strong presence leading them and a discipline installed as to what is required every single game then we will continue to lurch from one mess to the next.

The_razors_edge

I think a lot of people on this thread (and others) are going to be highly disappointed.

CL rates IC very very highly. Anybody thinking or believing IC will be emptied before the league campaign starts (whether we qualify for the next round of the LC or not) are way off the mark. Unless something catastrophic happens in our league campaign his job is safe for the moment.

I also wouldn't expect IC to actively tender his resignation either. I was surprised to read earlier in the thread that he had already offered to resign. I'm still in touch with somebody who is reasonably close to IC and it's the kind of information he would have passed on. In the time I worked with IC he was open and honest about his future ambition and he made no secret that one day he hoped to work his way up to head coach level. Now he's reached that level I would be stunned if he walked away without giving it a good fight. I don't think he would consider 9 months in a job as a good fight. In my experience he is far too stubborn and strong willed to walk away from this role.

Someone earlier in the thread referred to him as an arrogant wee tosser. To some extent that poster was correct. IC is very confident in his abilities, has a philosophy on how the game should be played and will follow that through regardless. His refusal to perhaps become for flexible in his approach may be his undoing in the long run.

Again someone earlier in the thread made a point about making their feelings known to Cathro. Genuinely, IC won't care. He started out as 16/17 year old with nothing, has worked tremendously hard to get where he is today and I have no doubt is continuing to do so. In my experience the guy is a workaholic and is likely to be the first guy in the oriam in the morning and the last guy out at night.

Before I get accused of being an IC lover or happy clapper, make no mistake I am disappointed with results and performances since he started but what I can say with absolute certainty is he'll be working incredibly hard behind the scenes to put things right.

I don't know whether IC will be a success or not but what I am confident about is the club will give him the time and support he needs despite how the fans feel about him. If the club don't and press the panic button feel free to come back on this thread and tell me I was talking pish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Slim Stylee

I won't be there but, if i wss, I would get behind the team rather than protest. If we don't win on Saturday then even I would find it hard to back Cathro any more.

I still have a hunch he'll get it right, tbh. Whether his "right" or Levein's way is the correct way for this league, I'm not so sure. There are some on here who I've had measured debates with who really know their football, and just think his ideas are not suited to the way teams are set up to play in this league.

Unless you have Celtic's money and are constantly sniffing around in the bargain basement for players that are just cheap replicants of what they can buy, the end results are going to be fairly predictable.

5 league wins.

FIVE.

Only one of those was against a top 6 side.

We're a total embarrassment with this clueless fud at the helm.

Expert on the subject

We have turned into a club that accepts mediocrity compare our expectation levels to pre season last year have declined massively yet bizarrely we invested more, I don't think Cathro has the management skills.to get the most out of this team, time for a fresh start the when results and performances are poor the manager is usually poor, time for Budge to call it out

I think a lot of people on this thread (and others) are going to be highly disappointed.

CL rates IC very very highly. Anybody thinking or believing IC will be emptied before the league campaign starts (whether we qualify for the next round of the LC or not) are way off the mark. Unless something catastrophic happens in our league campaign his job is safe for the moment.

I also wouldn't expect IC to actively tender his resignation either. I was surprised to read earlier in the thread that he had already offered to resign. I'm still in touch with somebody who is reasonably close to IC and it's the kind of information he would have passed on. In the time I worked with IC he was open and honest about his future ambition and he made no secret that one day he hoped to work his way up to head coach level. Now he's reached that level I would be stunned if he walked away without giving it a good fight. I don't think he would consider 9 months in a job as a good fight. In my experience he is far too stubborn and strong willed to walk away from this role.

Someone earlier in the thread referred to him as an arrogant wee tosser. To some extent that poster was correct. IC is very confident in his abilities, has a philosophy on how the game should be played and will follow that through regardless. His refusal to perhaps become for flexible in his approach may be his undoing in the long run.

Again someone earlier in the thread made a point about making their feelings known to Cathro. Genuinely, IC won't care. He started out as 16/17 year old with nothing, has worked tremendously hard to get where he is today and I have no doubt is continuing to do so. In my experience the guy is a workaholic and is likely to be the first guy in the oriam in the morning and the last guy out at night.

Before I get accused of being an IC lover or happy clapper, make no mistake I am disappointed with results and performances since he started but what I can say with absolute certainty is he'll be working incredibly hard behind the scenes to put things right.

I don't know whether IC will be a success or not but what I am confident about is the club will give him the time and support he needs despite how the fans feel about him. If the club don't and press the panic button feel free to come back on this thread and tell me I was talking pish.

It's interesting that you use the word Stubborn when talking about Cathro. It may well be that this is what is causing his problems.

Too Stubborn to change the way he wants to play the game.

Too Stubborn to admit that he has got it wrong.

Too Stubborn to admit that he has signed the wrong players to fit into his system.

Too Stubborn to resign.

The_razors_edge

It's interesting that you use the word Stubborn when talking about Cathro. It may well be that this is what is causing his problems.

Too Stubborn to change the way he wants to play the game.

Too Stubborn to admit that he has got it wrong.

Too Stubborn to admit that he has signed the wrong players to fit into his system.

Too Stubborn to resign.

I'm maybe being harsh calling him stubborn. He knows this is a huge opportunity to make a career for himself in his chosen industry. He's not just going to walk away from this because he's had a poor first 9 months. He'll want to turn things around because he'll know he may never get this chance again.

maroonplatoon87

Reasons to not sack him

Errrrr Ummmm shite day out there today eh

Reasons to sack him

Makes John Mcglynn, Csaba, Mclean, Korobotchjob and Frail all look good

Worst home defeat in 44 years

Lost to a 4th tier Scottish league team

Since he took over we would be relegated

We are getting worse with every game

No strength on the bench or on the pitch (he has had 2 transfer windows)

His post-match ramblings

The Hibs game

The players VERY CLEARLY do not, have not and are not responding to him

He has never played the game

Completely inexperienced

??.and bum fluff ******* annoys me

Signed

We have turned into a club that accepts mediocrity compare our expectation levels to pre season last year have declined massively yet bizarrely we invested more, I don't think Cathro has the management skills.to get the most out of this team, time for a fresh start the when results and performances are poor the manager is usually poor, time for Budge to call it out

I think a lot of people are either trolling or don't understand what we are about as a support.

The reason we have invested more is because we are a loyal support and have bought into the way we want our club to be run and to progress.

We will still be here when Cathro is gone, whenever that is. We will still be here when the next guy leaves also. There's nothing bizarre about it.

" Accepting mediocrity " should be banned as a phrase on here.

Big Slim Stylee

5 league wins.

FIVE.

Only one of those was against a top 6 side.

We're a total embarrassment with this clueless fud at the helm.

He's not a "clueless fud." He's an excellent coach. Whether he should be manager of HMFC was a punt in the dark, and I'm thinking "no."

But that kind of stupid abuse is pretty pathetic, tbh. 

Lucille's Thirsty

He's not a "clueless fud." He's an excellent coach. Whether he should be manager of HMFC was a punt in the dark, and I'm thinking "no."

I sure I would've got a win as manager with what team he put out against Peterhead,that was perhaps our strongest eleven bar Souttar and he still managed to lose.

He's clueless mate.

Gary Locke got far worse abuse on here and he was working with a team of kids, hampered by a 15 point deduction, and unable to make any signings at all.

Clueless fud is really pretty tame for an Internet forum.

And is Cathro's position on the agenda. Will/should the directors discuss sacking Cathro.

Archived