Europa Cup

martoon

The way the seedings are moving to next year, you have to repeatedly be in it to improve your own co-efficient.

The Scottish co-efficient only comes into play if your own co-efficient is below that.

Its therefore folly to want to be out in order to build a squad capable of competing as each round gets you more points.

this will then be spread over 10 years, so each year your out, you miss out on points which helps your seeding.

That's not how I understand it. Think a bit of checking is in order.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything we achieve we should do ourselves. These June and July games are red herring. The keys to have a squad that can compete in August. June and July games then take care of themselves

The signings we've made so far this season look more likely to still be here than not next summer which should in theory give us a good core of a team that is better prepared for Europe if we make it. The problem is when we need to make a lot of signings in summer.

Doing that and getting them bedded in before June Euro games is difficult as we've seen. It'll be interesting to see how Aberdeen do today as they've had a lot of turnover this summer.

I think we're getting to the stage where we are building a squad that could conceivably be together for 2-3 years. That's what we need to aim for.

Well, it's the turn of the sheep tonight to see if Scottish Football can improve it's standing in Europe.

I'm aware of the inevitable " F them " type replies but personally I hope they do well.

Titanium hat on !

agree...

Bert has a good page showing the 10 year points tally

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/trank10-2018.html

As I say, let me check again but I was under the impression a club's coefficient was only used to determine seeding once you enter the competition.

If the country's club coefficient doesn't rise, we'll still have what we have at present.

Two teams in at round one and one team in at round two in Europa and one team in at Q round 2 in Champs.

It would take all four teams a few seasons of doing well to change that. One team doing quite well while the others toil would take decades !

Quite happy to be proved wrong here.

Harry Potter

Yay my favourite thread back. Be prepared for more of the same. Not quite sure why Hearts fans want Aberdeen to be financially stronger than Hearts but there you go

Aye very strange, hope the sheep get pumped but thats me.

mulleted_jambo

Is the Aberdeen game on TV? Searched online and getting nowhere

I was wondering the same. Not that I care much who wins but would be good to see some competitive football.

Is the Aberdeen game on TV? Searched online and getting nowhere

Seems not

Premier Sports who are the channel covering early stages are showing Cork City v Larnaca 7.45pm

Harry Potter

I was wondering the same. Not that I care much who wins but would be good to see some competitive football.

All i can see is Cork City on Premier sports, nothing on sky sports or BT unless ive missed it.

All i can see is Cork City on Premier sports, nothing on sky sports or BT unless ive missed it.

No that's all

Lord Beni of Gorgie

That's my point, Hearts are getting 0 points this season which will tally up for 10 years.

St Johnstone and SevCo will get 0.25 points for their first round exits each year for the next 10 years

You therefore want to be in it and get as far as you can

Yes. But it really is this simple.

If you have players capable of beating say Everton in Q4 then Trakia or Niederkorn in Q1 isn't a problem.

Scotland beyond Celtic haven't had such a team capable of challenging an English side since 2012

Watt-Zeefuik

Yes. But it really is this simple.

If you have players capable of beating say Everton in Q4 then Trakia or Niederkorn in Q1 isn't a problem.

Scotland beyond Celtic haven't had such a team capable of challenging an English side since 2012

Drawing an EPL entrant is about the worst case scenario.  We hit it twice in recent years and it got us glamour matchups but it cost us a much better chance to progress.

We need to field a team that can beat FC Midtjylland and Maccabi Tel Aviv year-in and year-out, qualify, then hope for a favorable draw.  Yes that golden moment at Anfield and all that but realistically if we draw an EPL team it's a nice cash dump and no group stages.

Lewis Logan Shinnie Considine O'Conner Reynolds McLean Rooney MacKay-Steven Tansey Christie

Subs Rogers Stewart Maynard Wright McKenna Harvie Storey

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Drawing an EPL entrant is about the worst case scenario. We hit it twice in recent years and it got us glamour matchups but it cost us a much better chance to progress.

We need to field a team that can beat FC Midtjylland and Maccabi Tel Aviv year-in and year-out, qualify, then hope for a favorable draw. Yes that golden moment at Anfield and all that but realistically if we draw an EPL team it's a nice cash dump and no group stages.

I totally agree. But that's the levels you have to get to. Or as close as possible and hope they don't perform. Referees i am almost certain will give benefit of doubt to the big telly countries to benefit sponsors so it really is a big ask

Watt-Zeefuik

I totally agree. But that's the levels you have to get to. Or as close as possible and hope they don't perform. Referees i am almost certain will give benefit of doubt to the big telly countries to benefit sponsors so it really is a big ask

Yes, I agree, but even though our luck has been rotten (at least in terms of hopes of advancing -- I realize drawing Liverpool and Spurs are rewards in their own right), there's decent chances of drawing clubs from Denmark or Kazakstan or Israel which won't have that structural advantage over us.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Yes, I agree, but even though our luck has been rotten (at least in terms of hopes of advancing -- I realize drawing Liverpool and Spurs are rewards in their own right), there's decent chances of drawing clubs from Denmark or Kazakstan or Israel which won't have that structural advantage over us.

Prepare for the worst or chance on a lucky draw. To be honest budget dictates the latter as i think you allude to

Bazzas right boot

Won't lse sepp of ths either way, If Aberdeen get papped  oot it will be funny, if they go through a tiny bit of respect is restored to our game.

Wouldn't mind them getting through to the last qualifying round then getting papped out. Don't want anybody getting to the group stages before us.

Hope this thread is relevent to Celtic in a couple of weeks as well.

chester copperpot

Is this on the telly. Bored out my skull and will watch just about anything football wise tnite

Is this on the telly. Bored out my skull and will watch just about anything football wise tnite

Star sixes is on ss1 just now.

Won't lse sepp of ths either way, If Aberdeen get papped  oot it will be funny, if they go through a tiny bit of respect is restored to our game.

Wouldn't mind them getting through to the last qualifying round then getting papped out. Don't want anybody getting to the group stages before us.

We've both already been in the group stages. Us before the sheep actually.

kingantti1874

Won't lse sepp of ths either way, If Aberdeen get papped oot it will be funny, if they go through a tiny bit of respect is restored to our game.

Eh.. Whilst I also want them papped out bit surprising you've forgotten we've already played in the group stages

chester copperpot

Sheep is on their tv channel

If that's then on kodi or whatever it is

This must be on a foreign channel likes. Anyone on SM found it

Bazzas right boot

Eh.. Whilst I also want them papped out bit surprising you've forgotten we've already played in the group stages

ffs, going forward.

Bazzas right boot

We've both already been in the group stages. Us before the sheep actually.

god damn it, going forward.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

ffs, going forward.

Next then. Not first. Important on the tinternet :)

can't seem to find a stream anywhere, not even kodi!

Same ..seen some advertising it but screens blank

All roads lead to Gorgie

a good few minutes for Siroki Brijeg

Glad you said that  :tiny: 

alicante jambo, on 13 Jul 2017 - 8:34 PM, said:

You watching it mate?

Nope just updates cant find stream anywhere which is surprising as there was a few sites last season streaming Redtv

According to Willie Miller if you get to the Europa Cup group stages you're rubbing shoulders with the cream of European football. 

Er, naw Willie, that'll be the Champions League. 

According to Willie Miller if you get to the Europa Cup group stages you're rubbing shoulders with the cream of European football. 

Er, naw Willie, that'll be the Champions League. 

He loses the place a bit when the Dons are playing.

alicante jambo

Nope just updates cant find stream anywhere which is surprising as there was a few sites last season streaming Redtv

Cheers

Archived