Meet the Management event

RS86

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Can't believe how much praise a poster is getting for basically saying "Hearts are shite and you're all dicks". :lol:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nookie Bear

Can't believe how much praise a poster is getting for basically saying "Hearts are shite and you're all dicks". :lol:

Cheaper than renting a dominatrix?

Thanks for posting that PJ.

Was this meeting open to the public as part of the DF ?

Sorry I can't answer for PJ but I believe it was under the guise of the Federation. I apologise if I have this wrong though.

So if I was in the Fed I would wanting to know answers - presumably they canvassed members about the areas of discussion to be addressed.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Cheaper than renting a dominatrix?

That is almost word for word what I was going to add onto the end.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Quite.

No I'm not the one dealing in faith. That's you.

You are saying I have faith because it suits your agenda.  I am sitting back watching something new in Scottish football management: something that might free us from years, nay decades, of mediocrity.  While I am resolute in the belief that we should not abandon it without a fair trial, I accept it is something that could wrong.  If it does go wrong what is the worst that could happen?  Oh yes, we might be relegated.  Well that has never ever happened before under "old style" managers.  Has it?

If it goes well, then who knows what rewards lie ahead.

One thing I do know is I'd rather try and fail than follow the crowd like sheep to even more ridicule.  No wonder Scottish football can't get decent TV money - maybe because TV wasn't invented when dinosaurs were on the go.

Do you really think the circumstances of Locke 6 months in are the same as Cathro's? Really?

I'll give you a better example. Tommy McLean got a season. Should he have been given a full season?

Cathro and Locke's circumstances can not be compared, I agree, but, as McLean came in pre-season, a clean slate if you will, Cathro coming in when he did opens it up for debate.

Basically, we more or less meandered about the middle of that league when McLean was in charge but it got very hairy near the end as there was only ten teams then.

Of course, even with the split and more teams, it is conceivable we could finish where we are now.

Unknown user

It was a well thought out and considered post, the type we don't see enough of.

I didn't agree with all of it but it was only bits I disagreed with. I guess it comes down to whether you're the type of person that focuses on the minor negative when there's a decent conversation opening up for once!

the big show

If that was the case and it was as well known as you claim, Levein's career would have been over, but instead he played for Hearts and Scotland for years. Alex McDonald and Sandy Jardine didn't think he was a shiter or he wouldn't have had the Hearts career he did, and I know who I'm believing

Believe what you wan't it makes no odds to me but it it is not something that has actually been hidden from various circles and it has been documented on here as well  ...  However it still does not take away from the fact that a lot that has went on has been his doing that know one can seem to question .. IS THAT RIGHT ? 

Unknown user

Believe what you wan't it makes no odds to me but it it is not something that has actually been hidden from various circles and it has been documented on here as well ... However it still does not take away from the fact that a lot that has went on has been his doing that know one can seem to question .. IS THAT RIGHT ?

What?

willie wallace

I was gutted I couldn't go to this last night. Sounds like it was a good event.

Although I haven't been happy with what's happened since January, I was always a "give him until December 2017" guy.

The fact that Cathro and Austin can talk a good game is not breaking news. The club seem to be pointing at player recruitment as what has gone wrong this season (our past 2 transfer windows have been pretty horrendous). It's a big big summer which will either make or break this management team.

Hopefully they can get the players in to play the system we want and next season is one to remember (for good reasons).

Believe what you wan't it makes no odds to me but it it is not something that has actually been hidden from various circles and it has been documented on here as well ... However it still does not take away from the fact that a lot that has went on has been his doing that know one can seem to question .. IS THAT RIGHT ?

I take it you have had your insiders tell you whether CL was questioned about his performance at HMFC Board level?

(k)no(w) one knows apart from the Board if he was questioned. I would assume that, as an astute business woman, Ann Budge will have questioned him probably many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Drago

Sadly it doesn't surprise me one bit. Plenty folk on here seem to love slagging off their fellow hearts fans, especially those that have the indecency to question the club.

the big show

I take it you have had your insiders tell you whether CL was questioned about his performance at HMFC Board level?

(k)no(w) one knows apart from the Board if he was questioned. I would assume that, as an astute business woman, Ann Budge will have questioned him probably many times.

No they have not ... however don't let the rest of the facts get in the way .. Astute business women i know she is... that astute yes has taken a % on her initial lone although she has maybe waved that % now  .. Now that is astute ..

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It was a well thought out and considered post, the type we don't see enough of.

I didn't agree with all of it but it was only bits I disagreed with. I guess it comes down to whether you're the type of person that focuses on the minor negative when there's a decent conversation opening up for once!

Agreed. I was just teasing.

No they have not ... however don't let the rest of the facts get in the way .. Astute business women i know she is... that astute yes has taken a % on her initial lone although she has maybe waved that % now .. Now that is astute ..

So do you think AB has questioned CL?

Buffalo Bill

JKB can be unhealthy - I think some people revel in misery and trying to spread it to others. They tell themselves they are "rational", "they are realists", "ahead of the curve" blah de blah blah...They're none of these things. They are not risk-takers because they give up at the first sign of trouble. They want managers sacked because they are quitters themselves. They don't have the backbone to see through difficult times, to get past problems. They identify a problem, and go "there, job done". They are not demanding customers because they are "winners", they are demanding customers because they are losers... You see it every time Hearts lose or draw a game. Mass panic on here and 100 threads saying, "This is shite,, He is shite, Sack the manager, DOF" etc etc. It is predictable and boring. It's not passion, it's pathetic... I am often too embarrassed for these people to come on JKB the day of a defeat. I turns my stomach to see men being so weak...Sure they dress it up as anger but all I see is tears.  Football is meant to be an escape from real life problems. Every game starts with a clean sheet.  I hate to think how bad some peoples lives must be if they bring such miserable attitudes into their weekends...It is impossible to rationalize with depressives. I'm no happy-clapper but I do recognize the enormous value in trying to see the glass as half full. As I said above, anyone can spot problems, it is getting past problems that requires engagement of the brain.

Well said.

Nookie Bear

It has stalled, but that's the nature of transfer windows - Our squad is a bit of a mess at the moment. But we are talking about 6 months, It is no disaster, It is no terminal decline. We are not dropping down leagues...we are not in danger of Administration again...It's a blip and it will either get corrected in the next 6 months or there will need to be change. It seems that Hearts fans haven't learned from experiences of being an Hearts fan - we've done it all except reached the peaks of success! We SHOULD know, recognize and understand the lows. We've been there and come back, haven't we? I can only suspect it was the silent majority that got us through admin, as I wouldn't want to stand next to the guys who need nappies, when times are tough... 

Big O can try to convince us all that it is 1.5yrs of decline but I don't think anyone believes him. He just has issues from the Levein "missed the bus in '86" story which don't really interest me TBH. Talk about bearing a grudge...

I've never believed that sacking someone is the first reaction to a problem, no matter how badly they may start in a role. People make mistakes - it is human nature. It is impossible to get any fluency or consistency if you tear up the base strategy every time you hit a bump in the road. Cathro is getting this summer so I don't really see the point in moaning about him yet...It's shouting into the wind. 

Cathro will stand or fall based on this summer and the first round of games next season. The sooner we all recognize and accept that, the sooner we can stop having circular conversations about a sacking that is not on the cards. Hearts are not as big a club as some fans tell us we are. What the Hell does perceived size matter? well it seems there is sort of arrogance and sense of entitlement that comes from people who talk of Hearts as "the Big Club" forgetting that they are only talking in parochial terms, in comparative terms versus Hibs...I don't judge Hearts against Hibs. I look at a bigger picture than that. My World is bigger than Edinburgh.

JKB can be unhealthy - I think some people revel in misery and trying to spread it to others. They tell themselves they are "rational", "they are realists", "ahead of the curve" blah de blah blah...They're none of these things. They are not risk-takers because they give up at the first sign of trouble. They want managers sacked because they are quitters themselves. They don't have the backbone to see through difficult times, to get past problems. They identify a problem, and go "there, job done". They are not demanding customers because they are "winners", they are demanding customers because they are losers... You see it every time Hearts lose or draw a game. Mass panic on here and 100 threads saying, "This is shite,, He is shite, Sack the manager, DOF" etc etc. It is predictable and boring. It's not passion, it's pathetic... I am often too embarrassed for these people to come on JKB the day of a defeat. I turns my stomach to see men being so weak...Sure they dress it up as anger but all I see is tears.  Football is meant to be an escape from real life problems. Every game starts with a clean sheet.  I hate to think how bad some peoples lives must be if they bring such miserable attitudes into their weekends...It is impossible to rationalize with depressives. I'm no happy-clapper but I do recognize the enormous value in trying to see the glass as half full. As I said above, anyone can spot problems, it is getting past problems that requires engagement of the brain.

In fairness, the bulk of this is spot on and the only difference between my opinion and yours is that you have faith in Cathro/MacPhee/Levein to sort it out, and I don't.

The final paragraph is psychobabble. For example: "They want managers sacked because they are quitters themselves"....eh?

It has stalled, but that's the nature of transfer windows - Our squad is a bit of a mess at the moment. But we are talking about 6 months, It is no disaster, It is no terminal decline. We are not dropping down leagues...we are not in danger of Administration again...It's a blip and it will either get corrected in the next 6 months or there will need to be change. It seems that Hearts fans haven't learned from experiences of being an Hearts fan - we've done it all except reached the peaks of success! We SHOULD know, recognize and understand the lows. We've been there and come back, haven't we? I can only suspect it was the silent majority that got us through admin, as I wouldn't want to stand next to the guys who need nappies, when times are tough...

Big O can try to convince us all that it is 1.5yrs of decline but I don't think anyone believes him. He just has issues from the Levein "missed the bus in '86" story which don't really interest me TBH. Talk about bearing a grudge...

I've never believed that sacking someone is the first reaction to a problem, no matter how badly they may start in a role. People make mistakes - it is human nature. It is impossible to get any fluency or consistency if you tear up the base strategy every time you hit a bump in the road. Cathro is getting this summer so I don't really see the point in moaning about him yet...It's shouting into the wind.

Cathro will stand or fall based on this summer and the first round of games next season. The sooner we all recognize and accept that, the sooner we can stop having circular conversations about a sacking that is not on the cards. Hearts are not as big a club as some fans tell us we are. What the Hell does perceived size matter? well it seems there is sort of arrogance and sense of entitlement that comes from people who talk of Hearts as "the Big Club" forgetting that they are only talking in parochial terms, in comparative terms versus Hibs...I don't judge Hearts against Hibs. I look at a bigger picture than that. My World is bigger than Edinburgh.

JKB can be unhealthy - I think some people revel in misery and trying to spread it to others. They tell themselves they are "rational", "they are realists", "ahead of the curve" blah de blah blah...They're none of these things. They are not risk-takers because they give up at the first sign of trouble. They want managers sacked because they are quitters themselves. They don't have the backbone to see through difficult times, to get past problems. They identify a problem, and go "there, job done". They are not demanding customers because they are "winners", they are demanding customers because they are losers... You see it every time Hearts lose or draw a game. Mass panic on here and 100 threads saying, "This is shite,, He is shite, Sack the manager, DOF" etc etc. It is predictable and boring. It's not passion, it's pathetic... I am often too embarrassed for these people to come on JKB the day of a defeat. I turns my stomach to see men being so weak...Sure they dress it up as anger but all I see is tears. Football is meant to be an escape from real life problems. Every game starts with a clean sheet. I hate to think how bad some peoples lives must be if they bring such miserable attitudes into their weekends...It is impossible to rationalize with depressives. I'm no happy-clapper but I do recognize the enormous value in trying to see the glass as half full. As I said above, anyone can spot problems, it is getting past problems that requires engagement of the brain.

I agree with you but I think you are a bit harsh on our fans.

You know what football is like any club in the world on the kind of run we are on and the manager and coaching staff would be getting questioned.

There is also the question of ST sales if because of results we don't meet our required target of sales then there will be a downgrading of quality in the squad.

It's all very well preaching patience but a continuation of current form would see us relegated next season. I know you say that you would give Cathro until half way through next season but the damage could be terminal by that time.

I agree about posters like the big shout. Him and his sort have been bitching for ages long before Cathro arrived and I suspect they are having the time of their lives.

The rest of us want things to work out so much.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I don't read Spellczechs posts as accepting Hearts are shite at all.

For the hard of thinking, since people are trying to be obtuse, I will be pompous, the message from Spellczech is quite simple. Hard work takes time, miracles take longer.

Quite simply, good things come to he who waits, quick fixes rarely last.

Comprende?

I have got my hard hat on ya arseholes :lol:

the big show

So do you think AB has questioned CL?

Do you ? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

In fairness, the bulk of this is spot on and the only difference between my opinion and yours is that you have faith in Cathro/MacPhee/Levein to sort it out, and I don't.

The final paragraph is psychobabble. For example: "They want managers sacked because they are quitters themselves"....eh?

I'm not sure he is saying he does have faith. I don't, but equally I cant be certain the bloke is a complete write off. I am a cynic, and I think we are in American sports terms "tanking".

The reason I believe this? Levein felt we were ill prepared for Europe last year. It is far worse this season with the amount of human traffic. I firmly believe we are not performing because it quite simply causes more of a problem for next season and outweighs the value of this season. Flawed? I think so. Could be complete shite I am talking but I just have a nagging feeling there is way too much acceptance within the squad.

3-4-3 is basically running trials for who fits the strategy. I don't really want to know if my theory is shite or not, because that would frustrate me, I want a team on the pitch that dominates next season. Within 3/4 weeks of the league resuming we will know if the boy cuts it or not.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

you flatter yourself

You are definitely the thinking mans I8 though. I8 can be amusing though :)

the big show

I agree with you but I think you are a bit harsh on our fans.

You know what football is like any club in the world on the kind of run we are on and the manager and coaching staff would be getting questioned.

There is also the question of ST sales if because of results we don't meet our required target of sales then there will be a downgrading of quality in the squad.

It's all very well preaching patience but a continuation of current form would see us relegated next season. I know you say that you would give Cathro until half way through next season but the damage could be terminal by that time.

I agree about posters like the big shout. Him and his sort have been bitching for ages long before Cathro arrived and I suspect they are having the time of their lives.

The rest of us want things to work out so much.

Nothing to do with bitching at all dug it is what you call not ignoring the facts for long enough which was pointed out long ago  .. some are understandable to it and will give a honest view some will paper over the cracks and deflect time after time and ignore it ... However the time has come it cannot be ignored anymore and like it not these are the facts,  Sundays mass walk out was not a myth and ignorance of it could spell further problems on the ones which currently exist   .. Now 1st and foremost i want a team on the park that will compete week after week is that a lot to ask ? .. Time of my life i wish ... i want Hearts to be challenging year after year if we can . i want Hearts going on cup runs getting to finals and winning the odd one or two if we can , I want Hearts putting on a decent show in Europe  if we can ...Now like or not this is what i wish and hope for but don't expect me to paint a picture that could not be further from the truth because it simply will not happen .. oh and i do hope it works out but i do have serious doubts .. hope that clears things up dug ..

Francis Albert

I don't read Spellczechs posts as accepting Hearts are shite at all.

For the hard of thinking, since people are trying to be obtuse, I will be pompous, the message from Spellczech is quite simple. Hard work takes time, miracles take longer.

Quite simply, good things come to he who waits, quick fixes rarely last.

Comprende?

I have got my hard hat on ya arseholes :lol:

Hard work doesn't take time. It can be adopted instantly. No doubt the coaching team works hard. Unfortunately so far they seem to have failed to instil that ethos in most of the players.

Miracles ... they simply don't happen.

Spellczech is getting increasingly pompous post by post. Apparently it's guys like him, the "silent majority" (silent???) who brought us through admin, not the "guys who need nappies". Hearts fans in huge numbers brought us through administration, and are still coughing up millions. Hearts fans across the whole spectrum contributed.

I hope Cathro succeeds. If he doesn't and continues as he has started to take us backwards I hope the "silent majority" will have the grace to admit the guys in nappies were right.

Gone off the pomposity meter! Some people clearly have quite a high opinion of themselves and a low opinion of others. I never heard the most intelligent person I knew insulting others' intelligence but for some it is central to their posts. The wonders of social media etc.  :thumbsdown:

siegementality

Not once was I bored or lost interest and IC used the same aides less times than AM!

I have to admit to losing interest when some of the questions were read out. Some were shockers.

Bull's-eye

If Spellczech applies to be on the FOH board there will be a lot of people voting for him that's for sure.

I'm not sure he is saying he does have faith. I don't, but equally I cant be certain the bloke is a complete write off. I am a cynic, and I think we are in American sports terms "tanking".

The reason I believe this? Levein felt we were ill prepared for Europe last year. It is far worse this season with the amount of human traffic. I firmly believe we are not performing because it quite simply causes more of a problem for next season and outweighs the value of this season. Flawed? I think so. Could be complete shite I am talking but I just have a nagging feeling there is way too much acceptance within the squad.

3-4-3 is basically running trials for who fits the strategy. I don't really want to know if my theory is shite or not, because that would frustrate me, I want a team on the pitch that dominates next season. Within 3/4 weeks of the league resuming we will know if the boy cuts it or not.

Regarding your last paragraph more than any other season we will need to be ready. We will start off with away games, under no recent manager have away games been anything other than shambolic for a club like ours. It's fine having a good home record that means top 6 and realistic 'challenge' requires a good away record.

Add to this the old firm and Aberdeen strengthening and add in the derby should the first 3 games be something like Ibrox / Easter Road / Perth we could be off to a shocker.

the big show

Absolutley, you?

Well If she has it not made a blind bit of difference so far . And if she has if things continue as they have been at what point does his job have to be seriously questioned by her going on what has went on . Personally part of me says she will have and part of me says i have my doubts .

Well If she has it not made a blind bit of difference so far . And if she has if things continue as they have been at what point does his job have to be seriously questioned by her going on what has went on . Personally part of me says she will have and part of me says i have my doubts .

I am assuming you're talking about recruitment! If so then, assuming CL has had a serious discussion (maybe even formal) then the improvement should be seen in the imminent transfer window. If there is no improvement then it will all come down to CL status at the club in director terms. I can remember if he was Exec or No Exec Director. Obviously different rules would apply.

I am assuming you're talking about recruitment! If so then, assuming CL has had a serious discussion (maybe even formal) then the improvement should be seen in the imminent transfer window. If there is no improvement then it will all come down to CL status at the club in director terms. I can remember if he was Exec or No Exec Director. Obviously different rules would apply.

He is an Executive Director so in with the brickwork or steelwork.

If Spellczech applies to be on the FOH board there will be a lot of people voting for him that's for sure.

If the major business operatives haven't signed him up first?

jamboinglasgow

That is undoubtedly true Geoff. I have to be honest and say I do find it difficult when you have a coach, who himself, at outset said HMFC shouldn't be just willing to accept poor results, but there are a number of HMFC fans who seem willing to accept them, because that is the way it has always been with HMFC. I, personally have never believed we have a god given right to win every game, but I do think there is nothing wrong with having an expectation we will win a large percentage of them. I also have no objection whatsoever to people asking questions and trying to gain an understanding of what is happening in the background. I didn't attend the management meeting at Tynecastle, but I was in at a meeting with Ann and Craig on Saturday morning, and a lot of questions were asked and answered. There was an admission that the last two transfer windows have not gone well, and an additional source are being employed to help make sure that players coming in from overseas clubs will be much better vetted to make sure the style of play here suits them and they will suit playing in Scotland. Although not brought up we were aware that the injury to Callum Paterson did play a huge part in what effectively became a sense of panic buying in January of this year. It does appear Callum was due to move to West Ham in the New Year transfer window, for a 7 figure sum, and the club were making plans around that, for new players coming in.

When Callum then injured himself in the match against Kilmarnock on 27 December it threw everything that was being planned out of the window. I have a feeling, although we didn't ask, but I suspect that decisions on the likes of Rossi and Ozturk leaving, for example, had been based on suitable players coming in. Again, rethinking was needed. Were they right players, I tend to think probably not, but they were players that were available, and we needed to add to the squad. It doesn't help when you are aware the players are very enthusiastic about what Cathro and McPhee have brought to the club, bit it just wasn't gelling on the park. Everyone is still very enthusiastic that they do have what it takes to build the sort of team that can be challenging at the top end of the league, even if that is something that even some Hearts fans don't really care about, there are some fans who don't seem to care if we are not in a challenging position. It was said we are away behind Celtic, and there is absolutely no denying that, but there is no reason why we shouldn't be winning against the other sides in the league, once the ideas in hand translate to the style of play wanted on the field.

I am one who has voiced concern about how we have been playing, not just recently but certainly across parts of the last two seasons, but I am willing to wait and see how we start next season. The club are aware we will be starting our league fixtures away from home, and that the purchase of players for the start of the season coming has to be right. They also have confidence in Cathro, and I am willing to give him the opportunity to look to build something over the close season break. I spoke to a few people at work who were at last night's meeting and they too were please with what they were hearing last night. I think we were, in the main pissed off to a certain extent, this season. Craig Levein himself said that (in a game we actually lost due to two daft mistakes, which no coach could pre-plan for) the best football we have played since coming out of administration was in the game up at Dens Park just before Christmas, and that it was frustrating that we could play as well as that but also look so awful at times.

I will be renewing my ST, I will be following on every week home and away again next season, I do have high hopes for my team (I actually thought that would be the norm for any HMFC fan, but sometimes when I read this site I'm just not so sure) but at this point in time we can only hope that what the coaching staff want to do with the team does transpire and we can begin to enjoy what we watch again, and punish those teams we are capable of punishing, and cement a position much closer to Celtic in the coming season.

Thanks for that pj1, very interesting and crazy how things fell apart due to Paterson's injury.

I am curious about the bit about we have a source employed to vet foreign players better to make sure they can fit into the game, did they explain how this person does that or how they achieve it?

To me it shows that we are learning from our mistakes and adapting, January has been a mess for us, and I do wonder if they will learn to have back up plans in case something like what Paterson happened and threw our plans apart. As they say the actions speak louder than words, but if we can nail down recruitment this summer it can give us a big push.

Just how many accounts does SpellCzech have? :lol:

Thanks for that pj1, very interesting and crazy how things fell apart due to Paterson's injury.

I am curious about the bit about we have a source employed to vet foreign players better to make sure they can fit into the game, did they explain how this person does that or how they achieve it?

To me it shows that we are learning from our mistakes and adapting, January has been a mess for us, and I do wonder if they will learn to have back up plans in case something like what Paterson happened and threw our plans apart. As they say the actions speak louder than words, but if we can nail down recruitment this summer it can give us a big push.

I'd be surprised if they revealed how they do the vetting.  Firstly it might be helpful to competitors and would also open a huge opportunity to critics on here, no matter how they do it.

I wonder what your last paragraph is driving at and especially your last sentence.  We are not a club so rich that we can have top class cover for everyone in the team and we had no Paterson-type player elsewhere in the squad.  We are not Chelsea or Man City.

It could help if we knew which players were going to suffer long term injuries but alas....

jamboinglasgow

I'd be surprised if they revealed how they do the vetting.  Firstly it might be helpful to competitors and would also open a huge opportunity to critics on here, no matter how they do it.

I wonder what your last paragraph is driving at and especially your last sentence.  We are not a club so rich that we can have top class cover for everyone in the team and we had no Paterson-type player elsewhere in the squad.  We are not Chelsea or Man City.

It could help if we knew which players were going to suffer long term injuries but alas....

Think you misunderstand the point of my last paragraph. What I mean is that from the previous post we had signings planned out based on expect income from Paterson's transfer. When that fell through we had no targets for our new budget. What I mean is that we should have back up targets for cheaper budgets just in case.

Plenty decent points in Spellczech's post but this is the crux of it which he even admits himself "Cathro will stand or fall based on this summer and the first round of games next season."

Its therefore more or less being admitted that Hearts are taking an almighty gamble on Cathro and his staff. If it goes wrong over the first couple of months then its another season down the swanny given the overhaul that again would be required. As I see it everything will be against them (us) getting off to a good start. We are already seeing signs of the mass overhaul of players needed, both incoming and outgoing and the common view is that new players take time to bed in and the team/squad to gel. Not only that we are apparently set on playing some far from straightforward system which they will need to get to know. We are also highly likely to have an extremely hard fixture list with every chance of both a derby and a fixture in Glasgow before returning to Tynecastle. And the list could go on. I therefore just see it as hugely unlikely that we will see a bunch of wins off the bat.......

That added to the disastrous run this season and with 3 less than appetizing fixtures to close with, what then? We get the same voices saying give him more time? We are told things will improve? We need to give players time to form partnerships and get fit? Wait until the January window blahdy blah. As I say its a huge gamble and they aren't going to get away with using the 'time' card again. If people are giving him the first set of fixtures as the watermark any prediction not seen through maroon tinted specs would not be favorable right now.

Think you misunderstand the point of my last paragraph. What I mean is that from the previous post we had signings planned out based on expect income from Paterson's transfer. When that fell through we had no targets for our new budget. What I mean is that we should have back up targets for cheaper budgets just in case.

But the transfer money (?1m?) from Paterson didn't materialise, so the targets became irrelevant.  We did sign Martin and Goncalves anyway but the rest came on short term deals, I presume, because funds were not there.

Suspect Device

Oh boy is this thread a depressing read.

I've come to the conclusion that there are some Hearts fans who do not deserve to follow a good team. Some of our support is just toxic... Over the years I've wondered why it always seemed to be Hearts fans who did embarrassing stuff like throwing bananas at Mark Walters, booing dead Popes, Physically attacking an opposition manager in our own stadium; paying for planes to fly over Tynecastle. All excruciating stuff that has happened during my time as an Hearts fan...

People agitated for Robbie to leave and got their wish. He got fed up and left at first opportunity that came his way, trying to tell himself that it was the right move at the right time...Well it was the right time as far as he was concerned. Not so good for us, but I don't blame him...

We then got a new young, ambitious Head Coach. Everyone got on board and the support was finally united - for all of 1 game.

Now all I see is people directing their ire towards the new coach. They cannot look past the responsibility lying with the Head Coach and want his head. Why? We can all see that the players are clearly not doing what the manager is saying he wants them to do - it couldn't be more obvious. Why? To go back to being what we've always been - underachievers with a reputation for fielding big teams of hoofballers. Let's get a big physical number 9! Let's get Tommy fecking Wright! Let's get 1970s and 80s tactics and style of manager because this new fangled style of football where you play the ball on the deck hasn't bedded immediately...

Are Hearts a big club? No we are not!

People have expectations of winning the majority of games yet our silverware haul is 3 cups in 50+ years. The 2 do not marry up. We are only a big club in Edinburgh ie not even in Scottish terms! People say that Cathro is rubbish because football is a results game. Well in that case Hearts are rubbish! Our silverware record for a big club in this small pond is embarrassing - Newcastle and Spurs fans should laugh at us...

Changing a style of football is not easy. I know nothing about being a professional footballer. For years I've sat watching players in warm up "controlling" a ball by knocking it 3 yards to their left of right. It's not what I regard as close control, nor instant control...I've come to the conclusion that the sort of control you see from Messi in a game is not the sort that lesser players can do, so they are perhaps coached to direct/deflect the ball rather than cushion it and kill it's momentum? Thinking about it Messi doesn't kill the momentum of the ball either, he is just not 3 yards behind the ball after his first touch! However, there is no reason why, with the correct personnel Hearts cannot develop a possession game. Tynecastle is a small pitch but I've watched the OF, particularly Celtic, knocking the ball left to right and back along our 18 yard line whilst we stood off them or chased shadows. That is how better players tire out fit, but not so good players. It is not exclusive to Barcelona. It is just professional football as far as I can see.

Why have we only had 5 good strikers in the last 20 years? Macphee has identified it as per above. Precisely because there is a large element of our support who just want to watch professionals play kids football. They want blood and thunder - "Get the ball up the effing park!" then "FFS get it in the box Hertz". Unsophisticated football minds who would not dream of attending a tactical Q&A session with the manager but will sit here on a thread debating the output as if their opinion counts for more than the Club's management's. They see what Levein and Cathro and Macphee cannot! Sorry, but that's balls. Watching football doesn't make someone an expert on football. I've been doing it for 40 years but I would not dream of telling 30-year old Ian Cathro how to do his job! All I can do is try to interpret what he is trying to do.

I will nail my colours to the mast. Being an Hearts supporter is the weirdest thing - we had terrible teams in the 70s and won nothing, We had good teams in the 80s and won nothing. The reason the OF won stuff is that they control games. Yes, they can get a bit of help sometimes from officials, but OUR style of football ALWAYS gave the officials the opportunity to gift them late penalties etc. Our style of football DID NOT WORK for us. We simply have to move on, evolve on the park. Off the park, the Hearts fans need to give the management a chance, give the players support even when they mess up. What I perceive Cathro to be trying to do is not easy, and he's made mistakes but calling him an "experiment" and saying he has failed is frankly stupid. Currently his methods are not working, but let's give the guy a chance to turn it round. I have no problem with us training coaches on the job, we've got nothing to lose. We are only glorious in our own dreams. If they get it right then we could get something special, If not, then we can all go back to employing Tommy Wrights and get enthused about him signing tryers like Neil Macfarlane, Jamie MacAllister, John Millar etc and having motivated teams who come unstuck 99% of the time when it matters...Let's not be in such a hurry to revert to the same old "nearly men" ways...

That's my thought too, almost exactly...scary!!

Right down to the old "his second touch is a tackle" type player that's rife in the Scottish game :)

jamboinglasgow

But the transfer money (?1m?) from Paterson didn't materialise, so the targets became irrelevant. We did sign Martin and Goncalves anyway but the rest came on short term deals, I presume, because funds were not there.

Still don't think your grasping what I am saying.

Thought Police

Sadly it doesn't surprise me one bit. Plenty folk on here seem to love slagging off their fellow hearts fans, especially those that have the indecency to question the club.

He's right though. The ones that boo individual players in particular are *******

Archived