Players we should be looking at in the summer

Tynecastlesmychurch

The EPL scouts the English lower leagues as does the Championship. We can't compete with them unfortunately. I think we should go back to scouting the dutch league, they tend to be good with the ball on the deck.

You are correct but we can sell it to them that they will have a better chance of progression with us as opposed to getting lost in big EPL squads AND if they do well they will still get a transfer to a better level.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be quite keen to see us go in for Nicky Devlin. He's been captain at Ayr since 2015, so he's obviously got that type of character.

I think as far as foreign signings go sticking to the Dutch (Levein) & Portuguese (Cathro) markets might be best. Both countries tend to produce players capable of playing the sort of game it sounds like Levein & Cathro want to play. I think establishing a core team first is essential though, Signings like* Mallan, Sibbald, Russell, Devlin & Berra will help create the spine we've been lacking then using foreign signings to compliment our squad (rather than be the basis of it). I think the fans might be more inclined to cut Levein and Cathro slack if Scottish/British signings are what we go for, at least then there would be a feeling of building something.

Am I right in saying Levein got Buaben after he was released from Ajax? 

*Obviously there have been no rumours linking us with Mallan, Sibbald & Russell but I'd be absolutely gutted if we weren't looking at these players.

Jambo 4 Ever

It's nice to see JKB in optimistic mode, even though the odds say our first signing will be someone who we've never heard of and has never heard of us

ha you are probably right, sadly... but they might have a good pedigree!!

Winston Ingram

Wasn't there a Shaun Maloney rumour posted on here? Out of contract at Hull.

Think it's a certainty we'll sign a batch of players if not British then with a lot of British experience. 

Finlay James

I don't get that, just about every other Scottish SPL side does it.

We also do it, we offered a pre-contract to Matt Taylor of Bristol Rovers last summer but he chose to stay down there and eventually signed for Bristol City.

Our improved finances and potential revenue stream will see us more competitive for such players in future though.

johnking123

We will soon be able to spend 5 grand a week or more in wages for players. New stand is going to bring in so much revenue. Plus can Paterson McGhee Nicholson Djoum and possibly walker will all leave. Can see us spending cash on the right players.

We will soon be able to spend 5 grand a week or more in wages for players. New stand is going to bring in so much revenue. Plus can Paterson McGhee Nicholson Djoum and possibly walker will all leave. Can see us spending cash on the right players.

Not convinced selling these players will bring in a lot of money .

Hope ABs new recruitment policy works better

Winston Ingram

Hope ABs new recruitment policy works better

Paterson, McGhee and Nicholson will bring in ?1m+ as a minimum in development fees. Probably not what was hoped for but not a bad start. 

Hungarian 3rd division or GTF. Would we even be Hearts if we signed decent players? Let's not change everything overnight.

Ricardo Shillyshally

Our wage cap is ?3k pw just now. Really can't see that going up to ?5k

How? We'll have increased revenue?

johnking123

Maybe not next season. But the season after when main stand is fully operational. The revenue coming in will be far greater and player sales will help!

For the CORRECT player there is no reason whatsoever that we can't pay 5k a week. That does not mean we need to start handing out silly contracts to new or indeed current players but throughout football, indeed team sport anywhere there is disparity between what players in the same squad are on. I'm totally fine with a base for the majority of the squad and especially what we hope to be a succession of young players coming through the academy but for the right player in his prime or the correct experienced leader we should be paying the market rate if necessary. 

Furthermore quality over quantity should be our mantra if we want to improve. I'm quite sure we would all prefer a left back on 5-6k a week who improves us with a back up on 2-3k a week rather than having 3 diddies as we currently do earning say 3k a week each. 

Heard Vermin are going back in for Henderson - not sure how long he has on his contract.

A player who would improve our team with the exception of the looks dept.

jamboinglasgow

So are there any rumours about us being in for players (apart from Nicky Devlin mentioned earlier on this thread.)

kingantti1874

Heard Vermin are going back in for Henderson - not sure how long he has on his contract.

A player who would improve our team with the exception of the looks dept.

Given the shit he's been talking over the last day or 2 I wouldn't think so

Paterson, McGhee and Nicholson will bring in ?1m+ as a minimum in development fees. Probably not what was hoped for but not a bad start. 

Straight into the new stand fund I would think or a fair chunk of it at least.

If we get rid of Sammon, King, Reilly, Rherras and Oshiniwa that should bring in another ?50k if we are lucky.

Bazzas right boot

It will go up, if not no point in building a new stand and lookig at further commercial streams through coporate etc: if we aren't going to invest .

Unsure of the amount but having 3-5 top players for us on ?5k shouldn't be beyond us.

if we aren't going to spend any more on th eplaying side, then spending ?12m on a new stand is a waste of money.

I done sums ( another thread with more detail) and we could have 4 players on ?7k/ week

3-5 on ?5k per week

around 10 on ?3k/ week

another 10-15 on ?1k and we'd be at around ?7.5m in wages, that's 60% at ?12.5m turnover. Not beyond us .

Even if we look at ?6.5m, that's what Aberdeen spend atm, they have around 4k less fans at the home games, so if we are getting 17-18k every home game on average nex season ( that's around 40% more than they get), we should be able to spend more than Aberdeen going forward. I don't see why we cannot.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Straight into the new stand fund I would think or a fair chunk of it at least.

If we get rid of Sammon, King, Reilly, Rherras and Oshiniwa that should bring in another ?50k if we are lucky.

Fair bit on weekly wages too. Get 2 quality players probably

It will go up, if not no point in building a new stand and lookig at further commercial streams through coporate etc: if we aren't going to invest .

Unsure of the amount but having 3-5 top players for us on ?5k shouldn't be beyond us.

if we aren't going to spend any more on th eplaying side, then spending ?12m on a new stand is a waste of money.

I done sums ( another thread with more detail) and we could have 4 players on ?7k/ week

3-5 on ?5k per week

around 10 on ?3k/ week

another 10-15 on ?1k and we'd be at around ?7.5m in wages, that's 60% at ?12.5m turnover. Not beyond us .

Even if we look at ?6.5m, that's what Aberdeen spend atm, they have around 4k less fans at the home games, so if we are getting 17-18k every home game on average nex season ( that's around 40% more than they get), we should be able to spend more than Aberdeen going forward. I don't see why we cannot.

Interesting,

There must be a reason we aren't already doing that already? ?7k invested in a player of known quality (E.g Berra, Paterson, Jack, McGinn) would be money well spent and relatively low risk (Injuries always a possibility).

I imagine we are playing it pretty cautious wage wise at the moment but if it can be done we really should be trying. Especially after the train wreck this season has turned into. Ironically our value chasing strategy is putting attendance figures at risk.

Interesting,

There must be a reason we aren't already doing that already? ?7k invested in a player of known quality (E.g Berra, Paterson, Jack, McGinn) would be money well spent and relatively low risk (Injuries always a possibility).

I imagine we are playing it pretty cautious wage wise at the moment but if it can be done we really should be trying. Especially after the train wreck this season has turned into. Ironically our value chasing strategy is putting attendance figures at risk.

Decent points and if we are signing players at 3k we are not dining anywhere near the top tables but should still recruit so much better . I think we will se a shift from foreign to British and even the best from the championship up here along with Lower league England , the same as Aberdeen have done with a few decent players

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Interesting chat on wages. My guess is steady growth. There will be quite a few departing. A good bit will depend on squad size and contingency planning

jamboinglasgow

Interesting,

You have to be careful when you pay some incoming players much bigger wages then everyone else. As soon agents of some of the other players will be pushing for similar wages. So say you brought Berra in on ?7k a week. Djoum is on ?3k (our previous max) and Djoum is playing well, his agent will be pushing the club to expect to be on the same.

Its why in English players you have average players on ?100k a week who 5 years ago would get ?20k p/w

You have to be careful when you pay some incoming players much bigger wages then everyone else. As soon agents of some of the other players will be pushing for similar wages. So say you brought Berra in on ?7k a week. Djoum is on ?3k (our previous max) and Djoum is playing well, his agent will be pushing the club to expect to be on the same.

Its why in English players you have average players on ?100k a week who 5 years ago would get ?20k p/w

If Djoum played well consistently game in game out he'd be worth a pay rise.

At his full potential he's a match winner every second or third game.

jamboinglasgow

If Djoum played well consistently game in game out he'd be worth a pay rise.

At his full potential he's a match winner every second or third game.

I am just using Djoum as a theotical example of a player to demonstrate the point. Obviously at the moment he is not performing.

Djoum not worth half of his 3 grand a week this season. The invisible man should be sold if any offer comes in as he clearly thinks he's to good for us.

The Apprentice

Are people seriously suggesting the same Henri Anier that can't get a game at ICT and failed at both Dundee Utd and Hibs (in the championship)? Had a decent loan spell at Motherwell years ago, much like Ojamma but has done nothing since.

Are people seriously suggesting the same Henri Anier that can't get a game at ICT and failed at both Dundee Utd and Hibs (in the championship)? Had a decent loan spell at Motherwell years ago, much like Ojamma but has done nothing since.

if you include from that loan spell at motherwell he has scored 16 goals in 87 games (going from wikipedia)

He is rank rotten

Had them down as undercover hobbits. He's utter horse dung

jamboinglasgow

Djoum not worth half of his 3 grand a week this season. The invisible man should be sold if any offer comes in as he clearly thinks he's to good for us.

again, I am not trying to suggest Djoum is worth anything or anything more, only using him as I needed the name of a player for the point of the example.

3-5 on ?5k per week

around 10 on ?3k/ week

All I can say is thank goodness the people in charge at our club appear to have their heads screwed on.

?7k a week??

?354k a year??

For kicking a ball about in our backwater league, a league where one team will dominate for the next 5/10 years at least.

It was paying players too much that got us into the mess we found ourselves in 4 years ago, it would be batsh!t mental to go down the same road again. IF (?) the current wage cap is ?3k per week then, quite simply, it's not going to go up to ?7k any time soon IMO. If that wage cap prevents us signing the like of Berra and McGinn then fine - I'd much rather have a club to support than go through what we had to go through in 2013 again. 

again, I am not trying to suggest Djoum is worth anything or anything more, only using him as I needed the name of a player for the point of the example.

Sorry wasn't having a go at yourself, just pointing out the fact Djoum having done nowt all season seems immune to criticism.

Hope ABs new recruitment policy works

better

Does Anne budge get involved in recruitment. Our policy is bad enough without her getting involved

All I can say is thank goodness the people in charge at our club appear to have their heads screwed on.

?7k a week??

?354k a year??

For kicking a ball about in our backwater league, a league where one team will dominate for the next 5/10 years at least.

It was paying players too much that got us into the mess we found ourselves in 4 years ago, it would be batsh!t mental to go down the same road again. IF (?) the current wage cap is ?3k per week then, quite simply, it's not going to go up to ?7k any time soon IMO. If that wage cap prevents us signing the like of Berra and McGinn then fine - I'd much rather have a club to support than go through what we had to go through in 2013 again. 

Calm down Dear. Nobody is suggesting we pay the entire squad ridiculous money ensuring we go down the same road that caused us problems before. What some are saying is that for the correct player then exceptions can be made to improve our starting 11. There is nothing wrong with that and if for instance we were to find a goalscorer who wanted to come to Hearts then we may well be prepared to push the boat out a little. There has to be balance between budgeting carefully and growing our income streams and also investing in the playing side to make us attractive not only for our loyal week on week fans but also to fill the vastly increased corporate areas. Taking a sensible approach is fine but we need to show intent and ambition too.

Does Anne budge get involved in recruitment. Our policy is bad enough without her getting involved

Something in her recent statement about changing the recruitment processes .

Finlay James

Everything else she has touched has turned to gold for us so her input would be very welcome I'm sure.

Bazzas right boot

?7k a week??

?354k a year??

Just going on the 60% wage ratio.

If we make around ?12m that ?7.5m in wages.

Wether we have 3 left backs on about ?8k between them,or one on ?6k it's up to us.

Numbers are numbers.

No ones advocating going down that road again, so unsure why you are on a rant.

Wages Should be around 60% of turnover, as our turnover increases our wages will, hopefully it means more quality than more numbers of players.

My previous threads had the numbers.

Whether it be ?5k or ?7k the point is the quality of player should increase, quite a bit.

If Aberdeen can spend ?6.5m on wages, with our increased capacity and bigger crowds ?7.5 m is hardly a stretch, our crowds are about 30% more and will hopefully be around 40% more next year.

Plus win and appearance bonuses. Expect ?5k to be correct for a handful of experienced players next season. Assuming they are regulars and we are winning most weeks.

letsalldothebeattie

Players with experience of playing in the Scottish game. Premiership or Championship as we should be looking down the leagues for gems. I don't understand why we haven't been doing that already. Levein done it at United so you'd think he would've said to Neilson & now Cathro to scout the leagues. Players like Leahy, Grant & Sibbald at Falkirk, Russel, Quitongo & O'Ware at Morton, Forrest at Ayr, Spittal at Dundee Utd, Brownlie & Dykes at QOS, Mallan & Morgan from St Mirren not all at once but could add a lot to our squad if we were actually willing to go after them instead of looking at foreign players who aren't actually all that better than either what we have or is currently playing in this country anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming a squad size of 22 the distribution of the playing budget should be around 70% on the first 11, 25% say on the next 7 and 5% on the remaining 4 who should be the upcoming academy graduates.

On a budget of say ?3M, that would be ?2.1M for for the top 11, roughly ?3.5K per week average. Obviously, there would be scope for some to earn more and some less within that.

The next 7 would get around ?2K per week on average.

The upcoming academy graduates would get around ?0.75K per week on average.

That's a healthy budget in my opinion.

I'd never heard of Skacel....

Was he not bigged up on trial with Celtic in the media before we signed him? 

Jambo, Goodbye

Was he not bigged up on trial with Celtic in the media before we signed him?

Was only bigged up to Celtic after we signed him funnily enough.

johnking123

Last years books showed that our wage bill was 5.5 million. It will have staid round about the same as we are still saving to pay for the new stand. When that is bought and paid for. There will be no need to save like we have. We had something like 6 million in the bank. She did say we will always be a cash reserve . But that can be built up after we pay her off. We will have to do something with the foundation money and would say youth policy and a savings account for the club would be good use of it.

Jon McLaughlin - Burton (GK)

Alan Mannus - St Johnstone (GK)

Luke McCormick - Plymouth (GK)

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - Doncaster (LB)

Mark Russell - Morton (LB)

Paul Dixon - Dundee UTD (LB)

Christophe Berra - Ipswich (CB)

Josh Meekings - ICT (CB)

Nicky Devine - Ayr (RB)

Steven Whittiker - Norwich (RB)

Ryan Jack - Aberdeen (CM)

Niall McGinn - aberdeen (RM)

Fred Onyedunma - Milwall (RM)

Craig Sibbald - Falkrik - (CM)

Reuben Reid - Plymouth (ST)

Chris Maguire - Oxford (ST)

A list i think we should be looking at. All free in the summer

Jon McLaughlin - Burton (GK)

Alan Mannus - St Johnstone (GK)

Luke McCormick - Plymouth (GK)

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - Doncaster (LB)

Mark Russell - Morton (LB)

Paul Dixon - Dundee UTD (LB)

Christophe Berra - Ipswich (CB)

Josh Meekings - ICT (CB)

Nicky Devine - Ayr (RB)

Steven Whittiker - Norwich (RB)

Ryan Jack - Aberdeen (CM)

Niall McGinn - aberdeen (RM)

Fred Onyedunma - Milwall (RM)

Craig Sibbald - Falkrik - (CM)

Reuben Reid - Plymouth (ST)

Chris Maguire - Oxford (ST)

A list i think we should be looking at. All free in the summer

I think Alan Mannus is worse than Hamilton tbh.

Zander Clark is the St Johnstone goalie who's way better.

I reckon he's the best goalie in the league. Were you maybe thinking of him?

Bazzas right boot

Assuming a squad size of 22 the distribution of the playing budget should be around 70% on the first 11, 25% say on the next 7 and 5% on the remaining 4 who should be the upcoming academy graduates.

On a budget of say ?3M, that would be ?2.1M for for the top 11, roughly ?3.5K per week average. Obviously, there would be scope for some to earn more and some less within that.

The next 7 would get around ?2K per week on average.

The upcoming academy graduates would get around ?0.75K per week on average.

That's a healthy budget in my opinion.

The budget will be double that as well.

Bare in mind 20% for ni and pension contributions.

Top player's on my simple maths should be on around ?5k -??6k.

Suppose, 3 left backs taking around ?8-9k Could be one at ?5-6k and a back up at around ?2-3k

Archived