Players we should be looking at in the summer

Tynecastlesmychurch

I think Alan Mannus is worse than Hamilton tbh.

Zander Clark is the St Johnstone goalie who's way better.

I reckon he's the best goalie in the league. Were you maybe thinking of him?

Nope defo Alan Mannus, i rate him always impressed when i've seen him. Would have liked Zander Clarke but he just signed a new deal not long back he impressed in the championship season at QoS.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IveSeenTheLight

Goalie first. ........Rogers on loan to Falkirk from Aberdeen. Been solid for a while.

Rogers still has another year on his contract and Alexander will be leaving in the summer.

He'll be back at Aberdeen as understudy / competition for Lewis next season with an eye on incorporating him into the first team the year after.

That said, although Lewis has another year on his contract too, I wouldn't be surprised if he left in the summer and Rogers became the no 1 then

IveSeenTheLight

Rogers on loan to Falkirk from Aberdeen. Been solid for a while.

Rogers has another year on his contract and will be back at Aberdeen in the summer to replace Alexander.

Lewis has another year on his contract, but if we were to receive an offer, I would not be surprised if rogers became the Aberdeen no 1

IveSeenTheLight

Devlin at Hamilton. 

Devlin is a great shout, but has another year on his contract.

Hamilton seem resigned to losing him and Aberdeen has shown an interest in the past.

I would love it if he came to Aberdeen and replaced Ash Taylor.

A lot may depend on where Hamilton end up and certainly Hearts may be a big attraction by staying in the Central belt.

Hopefully the lure of European football could entice him north

A lot may depend on where Hamilton end up and certainly Hearts may be a big attraction by staying in the Central belt.

rudi must stay

Jon McLaughlin - Burton (GK)

Alan Mannus - St Johnstone (GK)

Luke McCormick - Plymouth (GK)

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - Doncaster (LB)

Mark Russell - Morton (LB)

Paul Dixon - Dundee UTD (LB)

Christophe Berra - Ipswich (CB)

Josh Meekings - ICT (CB)

Nicky Devine - Ayr (RB)

Steven Whittiker - Norwich (RB)

Ryan Jack - Aberdeen (CM)

Niall McGinn - aberdeen (RM)

Fred Onyedunma - Milwall (RM)

Craig Sibbald - Falkrik - (CM)

Reuben Reid - Plymouth (ST)

Chris Maguire - Oxford (ST)

A list i think we should be looking at. All free in the summer

If Inverness go down Ross Draper is worth putting in a bid is for too, we could get him cheap. Would be a good squad player

I'd like to see us form a 'proper' relationship with a Premiership team which enabled us to have a young player or two on loan each season until such time as our own academy starts to produce first-team ready players. Yes, I know it's not what our 'model' is aiming for - developing other team's talent, but when a team like Celtic, with their already huge advantage, can do it (Roberts and Denayer spring to mind) why shouldn't we? 

IveSeenTheLight

Break the bank time. But Jack at Aberdeen would be a coup. Would have loved Tansey too as a combative double act. 

I've heard a wee rumour Jack may be willing to sign another contract with Aberdeen.

Maybe suggests there's not a lot of offers coming in from his agent.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement in the week running up to the cup final to give us that double act with Jack / Tansey.

It may even release Shinnie to LB, although I do like his energy in midfield

Alll in, quote a good and reasonable list of players youve identified there in your post.

Best post I've read in here if I'm honest

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Josh Meekings - ICT (CB)

Nicky Devine - Ayr (RB)

That's a pretty decent list. Mannus has been back in the first team, Clark was on the bench, surprising, since Tommy a keeper in his own playing days, was saying he was one of the best.

McCormick is a very good keeper, would have been a lot higher in the game but for his jail term. The left backs look better options than the current ones. Meekings  and the Ayr right back I don't think have what it takes to be at our level of expectation though. Must admit I don't know anything of Fred from Millwall

IveSeenTheLight

Ash Taylor at Aberdeen is one we should push the boat for. Would be a good wee signal of intent that we are ambitious and Aberdeen havent deal with that situation well, he looks a perfectly good centre back to me.

I'm not renewing if we sign Ash Taylor. I think Aberdeen are not that bothered

he certainly had a stormer against us at Tynecastle. 

Its not that Aberdeen have not dealt well with the situation, him and his mrs now have a young daughter and they want to move back down south.

for that reason, he will leave Aberdeen and I don;t think Edinburgh is far enough south

The Internet

I'd like to see us form a 'proper' relationship with a Premiership team which enabled us to have a young player or two on loan each season until such time as our own academy starts to produce first-team ready players. Yes, I know it's not what our 'model' is aiming for - developing other team's talent, but when a team like Celtic, with their already huge advantage, can do it (Roberts and Denayer spring to mind) why shouldn't we?

It's a good idea in theory, but really we would only get shite reserve cast offs being prepped for release to some league 2 team. No top club is sending their promising talents to Hearts.

It's a good idea in theory, but really we would only get shite reserve cast offs being prepped for release to some league 2 team. No top club is sending their promising talents to Hearts.

Is that not what Musemic is seeking to have changed?

Bazzas right boot

Europa league football would change that, but we're a bit away from that standard yet.

We_are_the_Hearts

It won't happen until teams can see players coming to the club and developing. Unfortunately virtually all of our players seem to be going backward at the moment. 
Sow is the only one since Admin who came in, developed, contributed and then earned a decent move. Paterson and Walker have also kicked on in that time.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its not that Aberdeen have not dealt well with the situation, him and his mrs now have a young daughter and they want to move back down south.

for that reason, he will leave Aberdeen and I don;t think Edinburgh is far enough south

When did he have the daughter out of interest? Didn't pop into the world with a greying black beard by any chance?

IveSeenTheLight

When did he have the daughter out of interest? Didn't pop into the world with a greying black beard by any chance?

Autumn Taylor born in October a full year after the DM rumours of Oct 15.

Totally unfounded of course and I certainly would not be working for a boss 18 months later if it were true.

Pretty sad and indicative that an unfounded social media rumour is still being discussed over 18 months later

We_are_the_Hearts

Thought Taylor got found out on Saturday when Holt came on. OK bullying a player like Cummings but he really struggled against someone with a similar stature. Could struggle down South.

Bazzas right boot

Thought Taylor got found out on Saturday when Holt came on. OK bullying a player like Cummings but he really struggled against someone with a similar stature. Could struggle down South.

Tbh, i Thought just going two up front caused the issue, aberbeen, the whole team never adjusted to that quick enough.

We_are_the_Hearts

Tbh, i Thought just going two up front caused the issue, aberbeen, the whole team never adjusted to that quick enough.

A major part of that was Holt getting the better of Taylor and Reynolds and allowing the midfield to get up and support and giving Cummings more space. I have only really seen Holt against us and again on Saturday and we really need a player like that, someone who can hold the ball up, take the knocks and link with the midfield. 

Thought Taylor got found out on Saturday when Holt came on. OK bullying a player like Cummings but he really struggled against someone with a similar stature. Could struggle down South.

In the same way Reynolds was utter horseshit down South also.  For guys like Taylor the Prem up here is their level. 

Jambof3tornado

Hopefully squad wise we will begin to be able to rely on our development squad to step in and fill gaps more than we have over the last few years.

Great times ahead.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Autumn Taylor born in October a full year after the DM rumours of Oct 15.

Totally unfounded of course and I certainly would not be working for a boss 18 months later if it were true.

Pretty sad and indicative that an unfounded social media rumour is still being discussed over 18 months later

Your in the wrong place then. Again.

Ask Taylor is a player suited to hoofball . Zero technique but big and strong in the air . Absolutely a massive no for me

In the same way Reynolds was utter horseshit down South also.  For guys like Taylor the Prem up here is their level. 

He's horseshit here as well.

Josh Meekings - ICT (CB)

Nicky Devine - Ayr (RB)

I can see why you hardly ever post...

To suggest we go after McCormick says everything you need to know about your shouts!!!

Jesus....

To suggest we go after McCormick says everything you need to know about your shouts!!!

Jesus....

More realistic than many on the list tbh. 

Jambo 4 Ever

Jesus....

apart from him, it looks like a decent list to me

Bazzas right boot

Not just reality of the modern world

Osh for Taylor. Nap.

apart from him, it looks like a decent list to me

Jon McLaughlin  - No chance., good Championship goalie.  Will be on the radar of clubs down South

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair  - Will get a new deal and more money down at Doncaster.

Paul Dixon - shite

Mannus - Not even number one at Saints anymore. 

Christophe Berra - good chance I reckon and improvement big time

Josh Meekings - Aberdeen/Rangers

Nicky Devine who?

Steven Whittiker - Norwich (RB) - Hibs or Huns if back up North

Ryan Jack - Aberdeen (CM) - Absolutely no chance

Niall McGinn - aberdeen (RM) - Similar 

Fred Onyedunma -  Mental to even suggest

Reuben Reid - Kind of player we should be trying to get

Chris Maguire - Not a hope. 

IveSeenTheLight

Osh for Taylor. Nap.

LOL, Tosh keeps on trying to offload Oshinawa to Aberdeen too.

We don't need a LB.

Considine is doing a great job there and we have Shinnie as cover.

Jesus....

Good keeper, who has served his punishment.

I'd imagine that others would be up in arms about it, so it's probably not worth the hassle.

A few people have suggested Nicky Devlin the right back from Ayr, I've seen him a few times and he is nowhere near good enough. Good engine on him but doesn't have the ability.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A few people have suggested Nicky Devlin the right back from Ayr, I've seen him a few times and he is nowhere near good enough. Good engine on him but doesn't have the ability.

I wasn't impressed with him. Limited I would say. Ok at that level

Pasquale for King

Our wage cap is ?3k pw just now. Really can't see that going up to ?5k

I wonder if this because the DoF would demand to be the highest paid employee at the club?

rudi must stay

Jon McLaughlin - No chance., good Championship goalie. Will be on the radar of clubs down South

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - Will get a new deal and more money down at Doncaster.

Paul Dixon - shite

Nicky Devine who?

Fred Onyedunma - Mental to even suggest

McLaughlin is from Edinburgh so that could make us an exciting prospect for him. Onyedunma's contract is up, and his stats are not brilliant so there may not be much interest in him..

Good keeper, who has served his punishment.

I'd imagine that others would be up in arms about it, so it's probably not worth the hassle.

Correct!!!!

Finlay James

I wonder if this because the DoF would demand to be the highest paid employee at the club?

Could be, why don't you ask him?

Leeds & Lazio

I've heard a wee rumour Jack may be willing to sign another contract with Aberdeen.

Maybe suggests there's not a lot of offers coming in from his agent.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement in the week running up to the cup final to give us that double act with Jack / Tansey.

It may even release Shinnie to LB, although I do like his energy in midfield

Alll in, quote a good and reasonable list of players youve identified there in your post.

Best post I've read in here if I'm honest

Cheers bud. I was going to say the exact same thing.

Jon McLaughlin  - No chance., good Championship goalie.  Will be on the radar of clubs down South

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair  - Will get a new deal and more money down at Doncaster.

Paul Dixon - shite

Nicky Devine who?

Fred Onyedunma -  Mental to even suggest

McLaughlin - Not a player I'd be interested in, as you say good championship keeper and if on anyones radar will be pricey.

ATS - I heard someone say he is one of the worst players they've saw at Doncaster so I'm doubting he will be kept on

Dixon - No clue. Could be decent cover but I'd rather get get Russell from Morton

Mannus - Again, could be good cover but not someone I'd want as our #1

Berra - Agree

Meekings - Sure I read somewhere the huns were looking at him, Dons also seem to use ICT as a feeder team so fair assumption. If Berra and Soutter are our pairing i can't see how we could justify the wages given Novak and possibly hughes could cover.

Devlin - RB at Ayr, we're interested according to folk on here and captain at 23 (since 2015, so 21) suggests he has the sort of character we badly need.

Whittaker - If we get Devlin I can't see a way of justifying it. No reason to think he'd particularly care about his previous clubs.

Jack - Doubtful, likely trying to get a move to a mid championship team - MK dons would be a good move if Neilson is looking for cheap options

McGinn - (As of above)

Onyedunma, Reid and Maguire I don't know enough about. Reid seems a solid goalscorer.

I think the original poster has the right idea about building a team of players which we can safely say will be able to preform consistently at this level. They are all reasonable suggestions in keeping with the theme of this thread.

McLaughlin is from Edinburgh so that could make us an exciting prospect for him. Onyedunma's contract is up, and his stats are not brilliant so there may not be much interest in him..

Hull Wolves and QPR want him.

McLaughlin - Not a player I'd be interested in, as you say good championship keeper and if on anyones radar will be pricey.

ATS - I heard someone say he is one of the worst players they've saw at Doncaster so I'm doubting he will be kept on

Dixon - No clue. Could be decent cover but I'd rather get get Russell from Morton

Mannus - Again, could be good cover but not someone I'd want as our #1

Berra - Agree

Meekings - Sure I read somewhere the huns were looking at him, Dons also seem to use ICT as a feeder team so fair assumption. If Berra and Soutter are our pairing i can't see how we could justify the wages given Novak and possibly hughes could cover.

Devlin - RB at Ayr, we're interested according to folk on here and captain at 23 (since 2015, so 21) suggests he has the sort of character we badly need.

Whittaker - If we get Devlin I can't see a way of justifying it. No reason to think he'd particularly care about his previous clubs.

Jack - Doubtful, likely trying to get a move to a mid championship team - MK dons would be a good move if Neilson is looking for cheap options

McGinn - (As of above)

Onyedunma, Reid and Maguire I don't know enough about. Reid seems a solid goalscorer.

I think the original poster has the right idea about building a team of players which we can safely say will be able to preform consistently at this level. They are all reasonable suggestions in keeping with the theme of this thread.

Fair enough see your point and the op.

LarrysRightFoot

Not that this would probably have any influence on him coming to us or us going for him but is Whittaker not a Jambo?

Whittaker and Berra in the back 4 would certainly give good experience and add a bit game management to the defence.

Not that this would probably have any influence on him coming to us or us going for him but is Whittaker not a Jambo?

Whittaker and Berra in the back 4 would certainly give good experience and add a bit game management to the defence.

Heard similar. At 32 getting to finish his career with the club he supported growing up might be a draw. Wages would possibly still be an issue and I think if we get Devlin it might be get quite expensive (i.e 2 right backs, both of which should be playing first team football).

Leeds & Lazio

Josh Meekings can play right back as well as centre half. A good aggressive 6 footer and 26 so in his peak years but still resale value lying ahead.

Think Hearts need beefed up a bit. Might not have lung busting runs of Paterson. But big and aggressive and still gets a few goals from defence.

Ash Taylor is never a football player.

Aberdeen fan, please for the love of god tell that to McIness, I'll let you guys have him if you want? We'll take Walker off your hands if you want! :smiley2:  

Elias Henry Furst

Heard similar. At 32 getting to finish his career with the club he supported growing up might be a draw. Wages would possibly still be an issue and I think if we get Devlin it might be get quite expensive (i.e 2 right backs, both of which should be playing first team football).

Whittaker was a Hearts supporter as a boy and attended the 98 cup final.

His family are all Hearts fans.

I'm pretty sure we rejected the chance to sign him as a schoolboy. Hibs offered him terms and the rest is history.

Not that any of the above makes me think we'll sign him.

We won't.

John Gentleman

A Scottish/British spine of a team. Preferably no less than eight.

Archived