Players we should be looking at in the summer

Tynecastlesmychurch

Aberdeen have done well to end up with 2 goalies of this standard but you'll struggle to keep both. I don't think Aberdeen would loan or sell to us. Bit wishful on my part. One will go south.

Realistically I think it'll be Joe Lewis. Danny Rogers has been with us for donkey's years and many called for him to be number 1 this season. Don't think he'd have been given a 2 year deal last summer just to rot on the bench. And Im amazed, normally and area we massively struggle in, gone are the days of Clangers in goal thankfully!  :sunny:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Internet

I can handle us being complete shite, not sure I can handle having to try and support Kyle Lafferty.

Tynecastlesmychurch

I can handle us being complete shite, not sure I can handle having to try and support Kyle Lafferty.

What if he scores the winner in the derby?

Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Sergio Ramos and Dele Alli.

I think we would win the league

Why Not! Looking at some of the other names mentioned elsewhere we might as well dream big!

Jambof3tornado

No matter who signs I think Isma will be a huge hit next season.

Whilst I'd prefer tried and tested spl players it doesnt always guarentee success(swanson).

Looking forward to the window though.

rudi must stay

Apologies in advance for the poor spelling and grammar just rushed through this as quick as I could and didn't go over it!

I think next season Hamilton needs someone genuinely pushing him. This season I think it's right that he's played all our games. But next season he should be taken out if he's in poor form over a number of games.

I would bring in Alan Mannus as back up to Jack. He's out of contract in the summer and would certainly improve us strength and depth wise.

At Center back I'd keep Hughes and bring in Berra. If that genuinely is an option ovcourse he could stay with ipswich but If it's true that he wants to come back then I'd happily have a choice of Berra, Hughes, Souttar and Nowak for our Centre Back places.

I'd look to loan Liam Smith out to a championship club next season maybe Falkirk? I think he's certainly good enough to play consistently at that level and I think he needs consistent game time. I don't think he'll get that with us yet. So I'd keep Struna. And maybe bring in someone like Caddis. Again out of contract in the summer and imo he would make a very good addition to the squad. Also worth looking at Ziggy Gordon as he's a talanted player think he's only 24 and out of contract in the summer too.

At LB personally I'd keep Reherras and bin the other two. I don't think Reherras has done anything wrong but he's obviously not fancied for what ever reason and I can see him going in the summer hopefully for at least a modest transfer fee. But probably for nothing. So we need to bring in two left backs. I'd look at Mark Russell at Morton. He's only 21 and looks a really good prospect and again out of contract in the summer. But he wouldn't be my first choice at left back I'd probably look at someone more experienced. Maybe Joe Mattock from Rotherham? He's at a good age at 26. Or maybe even Luke Leahy at Falkirk? I've always been impressed every time I've seen him and again both out of contract.

I'm not ITK but I reckon Djoum will be sold in the summer and probably Kitchen as well. Not based on anything but my own opinion. And I just have a feeling they'll both be away. Shame if that's the case as they're both fantastic players when they turn up.

I've said plenty of times I'd love us to go for Crawford at Hamilton think he's a fantastic wee player pacey, good range of passing both short and long. Very good at taking free kicks. Seems to score a fair few of them! Has one year left on his deal so he would cost a bit of money but imo definitely worth it. I think we can all agree we need a real powerhouse in midfield it was painfully obvious against hibs when Bartley was their absolutely bossing our midfield all about the place that we needed a beast in midfield to brake up the play of the opposition. Not a player that will play every game but certainly when we need to win the battle first he'll play his part. And I'd probably go for someone like Rohan Ince. Been on loan at Swindon Town in league 1 this season but out of contract at his parent club Brighton. Also just a thought but I'm told by my friend that sadly suffers from the affliction known as celtic supporter syndrome that Scott Alan is likely to be released next season. Worth a punt maybe? Cathro knows him his range of passing and creativeness he showed at Hibs was certainly very impressive. And I know that was in the championship but Jamie Walker, Callum Paterson and Osman Sow were all outstanding both in the championship as will as the premireship. And I would point out that he was actually pretty decent when he was given games at celtic. Not outstanding but he hardly played and it was painfully obvious celtic bought him as a **** you to rangers! (Also I've seen in the hibsman that Tziolis isn't staying another reason for looking at Alan imo)

We need more options out wide and probably even more so if Nicholson does go in the summer. At least we will get a development fee of up to 500k for him. I'd love if McGinn were to come to us and I suppose theirs still a slight chance. But he's probably off to England. However I reckon we could actually go for a better option in Marly Watkins. Only 26 and out of contract at Barnsley in the summer. Has electric pace and is an out and out winger. Somthing we've needed this season. I'd also look at Michael O'Halloran. He wants out of his contract at rangers I think that's been clear for a while now! And although hes been poor at rangers. I think it's worth remembering that he was out of form when they bought him and he didn't get a lot of chances under Warburton. But maybe a fresh start could really help him. He does have pace to burn, an eye for goal and can play wide or upfront too. GMS looks like he's on his way out at Celtic in my view depending on wages and ovcourse how much celtic would want for him if they did want anything at all I think he'd be a good signing. We know that our DOF likes to look at the European market so maybe someone like Mathias Autret an out and out Left winger. His contract with Lens runs out in the summer. He's not got the best goal scoring record but does have lots of pace (love me some pace!) and is aparantly good at putting in crosses too. Again somthing we've needed more of this season!

Upfront im very happy with Goncalves and although Johnsons form has taken a sharp nose dive over the last month. I think it's worth remembering that he's a very talanted player skilful and quick. Needs to toughen up a bit but over time I think that will come. And if it doesn't then that's why you need to have options. And we've been linked with Liam Boyce a reliable goal scorer (until he signs for us probably!) He's strong and has good positional discipline (something our forward players have lacked this season imo) so he should always be an option around the oppositions box. I'd bring in another striker as well. We need cover, depth and competition so maybe Danny Ward at Rotherham. Again out of contract. Or maybe we could try and get Stevie May on loan. I would loan out Currie to a league 1 club think he'd manage that level. Don't think Sammon will be with us next season again just my own feelings not heard anything from anyone I just think he'll be off!

No doubt people will disagree about what we should do in the summer. But I think we can all agree I've been playing football manager for too long!

Jonssen isnt good enough. Doesn't hold the ball up and he isnt a goalscorer. I think if we want to be ambitious we need to aim higher, plenty of out of contract strikers who have good experience. Henry Anier has about 20 caps for Estonia and would get goals for us IMO. I would bring back Reilly, he tries very hard and his goal record actually isnt to be bad for us

Defence wise I would stick with Hughes and Souttar and ship out Nowak, Ash Taylor at Aberdeen is one we should push the boat for. Would be a good wee signal of intent that we are ambitious and Aberdeen havent deal with that situation well, he looks a perfectly good centre back to me. I would keep Struna too and Sowah, he never hides and I think would improve with a pre season

In the middle I have a feeling Tziolis will stay, not a fan but he is a favorite for Cathro. Don't know why people are saying Kitchen will go, hes back in the team and playing well. Can't see him being a player that catches someone elses eye either. That's a solid midfield and Sibbald as a long term replacement for Cowie would be a great central midfield. For a winger I would stay scottish, wouldn't gamble on a foreign player, St Mirren have some excellent wingers really consistent and they do have end product.

Ricardo Shillyshally

Whoever we bring in they'd better be quality as we won't have Jamie Walker for much longer and it there is little chance Paterson playing for us again.

That's not really what I meant and I do hope you know that. Patersons injury is quite different. Given Hughes age injuries can often be more frequent and take longer to recover from. That is all

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Jonssen isnt good enough. Doesn't hold the ball up and he isnt a goalscorer. I think if we want to be ambitious we need to aim higher, plenty of out of contract strikers who have good experience. Henry Anier has about 20 caps for Estonia and would get goals for us IMO. I would bring back Reilly, he tries very hard and his goal record actually isnt to be bad for us

Defence wise I would stick with Hughes and Souttar and ship out Nowak, Ash Taylor at Aberdeen is one we should push the boat for. Would be a good wee signal of intent that we are ambitious and Aberdeen havent deal with that situation well, he looks a perfectly good centre back to me. I would keep Struna too and Sowah, he never hides and I think would improve with a pre season

In the middle I have a feeling Tziolis will stay, not a fan but he is a favorite for Cathro. Don't know why people are saying Kitchen will go, hes back in the team and playing well. Can't see him being a player that catches someone elses eye either. That's a solid midfield and Sibbald as a long term replacement for Cowie would be a great central midfield. For a winger I would stay scottish, wouldn't gamble on a foreign player, St Mirren have some excellent wingers really consistent and they do have end product.

I'm not renewing if we sign Ash Taylor. I think Aberdeen are not that bothered

rudi must stay

I'm not renewing if we sign Ash Taylor. I think Aberdeen are not that bothered

he certainly had a stormer against us at Tynecastle. He'd be a better signing than Ziggy Gordon, don't know why hes so highly rated his team concede a lot of goals every week

Really like your thinking with Davidson as well. If you add Boyce and Watkins to that squad and personally I'd swap Noring for Hamilton and I'd have Hamilton as number 1 with Mcdonald on the bench. I get what your saying about Black maybe as a player coach.

I would have agreed before Davidson's injury, too late for him to move for any dosh.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

he certainly had a stormer against us at Tynecastle. He'd be a better signing than Ziggy Gordon, don't know why hes so highly rated his team concede a lot of goals every week

Got run ragged last season st Tynecastle. No thanks

Tynecastlesmychurch

So you'd get rid of Nowak and bring in Ash Taylor?... and not only that you'd have a defence with Taylor and Sowah in it?...

Words escape me...

Piotr Parzyszek of De Graafschap in Holland who is out of contract in the summer 6'3" forward and who has been watched by other Scottish clubs

So you'd get rid of Nowak and bring in Ash Taylor?... and not only that you'd have a defence with Taylor and Sowah in it?...

Words escape me...

I stopped reading at the point where it was suggested Johnsen wasn't good enough and we should be more ambitious and bring back Reilly. Glad to see it was a wise decision.

Liam Lindsay of Partick Thistle would be a great centre back signing but we may well have missed the boat on him as a few English clubs are interested

Tynecastlesmychurch

I stopped reading at the point where it was suggested Johnsen wasn't good enough and we should be more ambitious and bring back Reilly. Glad to see it was a wise decision.

Haha yeah but to be fair to him Sibbald was a great shout! And I can see the thinking behind getting the players a proper pre season together! The thing is we won't all agree one who we need. But I think the general consensus is that so far recruitment has been up and down with regards to its success. I think we have the bones of a very good side. Goncalves, Johnson, Walker, Buaben, Cowie, Souttar, Nowak, Struna, Smith and Hamilton. Hopefully this summer the management get it right!

Think we definitely need a goalie to challenge Jack, as previously said Alan Mannus is a free agent and would be good back up or No 1. Or Scott Bain, but he would want to be first choice and would have a transfer fee also.

RB - Happy to stick with Struna and Smith unless we loan out Smith then I'd go for Whittaker. He can play both full back positions so would be a good squad player.

LB - Definitely need to get this right after so many failures. Russell would be my choice and keep Rherass as he is contracted. If we can't get Russell maybe Taylor Sinclair from Doncaster or Devlin from Ayr.

CB - Berra, enough said. Id keep Hughes for a season and try sign Lindsay in Jan on pre contract. Other centre backs if we can't get Berra would be Devlin from Accies or the Celtic youngster Ajer on loan at Killie. Rory McCardle of Bradford

CM - will be a tough one as we have so many under contract. Tzolis will be gone so ideally we should try to sell 2 or use 2 as part of a deal for other players. Think we're stuck with Martin and Cowie is too old so that leaves Djoum,Kitchen and Buaben to sell or bargain with.

Jack from Aberdeen would be a very good signing also Jamie Ness(Scunthorpe),Stefan Schoughal and Mallen who would need a fee though.

Wingers - we're going to need 2, Ross Wallace is available and definitely should be going for Sibbald and McGinn after that I'm not sure. Maybe Makay Steven but by the sound of things he'll be away to Hibs as part of deal fo McGinn.

Forwards- Liam Boyce,Stevie May,Lyle Taylor(Wimbeldon)Cifti( not sure what his contract situation is)

Reilly certainly doesn't have the talent at this level. That much is clear. He does however have a lot of heart and determination. Chasing lost causes, harrying defences etc. If having Reilly on the field creates chances for other players i'm 100% behind that. Johnson doesn't offer enough and has a tendency to go missing too much. He should be a big strong player that can hold the ball up and offer some aerial ability (of which he offers absolutely nothing). He also lacks aggression - On his day he can be a fine player but there is no consistency.

I'd rather have Reilly's commitment than Johnsons occasional good game.

However, I am keen to see what a preseason can do for Johnson under Cathro. He might be able to get him into a similar mindset to Reilly. Then we might have a decent player. (I would add though if an offer comes in for Johnson we should take it, too many 'ifs' 'buts and 'maybes')

Can't believe we are discussing Reilly. Carrick has more chance of playing for us ever again  :tiny:  Mind you the only way we can afford some people's wish list is to do a deal with Ticketus for 10 years of season tickets :uhoh2:

Tony Soprano

Not sure if ive missed something but why do folk keep mentioning Ryan Jack? Why would he leave aberdeen for less money with us?

kingantti1874

I think Aberdeen fans are unanimous in that they think ash Taylor is utterly garbage. Easily there worst player.

rudi must stay

Would pay money to bring Barry Douglas in at lb think he has some sell on value too

Worth ?1.36 mill and has a contract till 2019. We ain't getting him

weegie jambo

from the original post I am definitely ITK, Ziggy Gordon was offered to us in the January window but is now very happily playing in Poland ( same club as Novi)

Not sure if ive missed something but why do folk keep mentioning Ryan Jack? Why would he leave aberdeen for less money with us?

I know - it's bananas. There's not a hope in hell that Ryan Jack would sign for us. People getting carried away I reckon.

It's dreaming. No chance. Just like McGinn

I know - it's bananas. There's not a hope in hell that Ryan Jack would sign for us. People getting carried away I reckon.

I am not saying we want him...I am not saying we are his number one choice...but as per another recent thread, I am told from an ITK dandy, Jack was put to us fairly recently on the understanding we would make him a top earner and more than he is currently on with them....

I am not an ITK person by any stretch of the imagination but my work pal is re a lot of things dandy'esk....

Got to remember there's 8 lads from the under's been promoted to first team so they will no doubt be given a chance also hopefully got some fire in there belly because this team does not. should replace most of of the usual starting 11 for next season....or here's hoping.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Internet

Something always puts me off about Sibbald. Can't help but feel if he was that good someone would have gone in for him by now. He's been around for ages.

Something always puts me off about Sibbald. Can't help but feel if he was that good someone would have gone in for him by now. He's been around for ages.

I can't say I've seen much of him. I do recall that Neil McCann was tearing it up for Dundee for a while before we signed him though. Sometimes it takes a while for someone to take a punt on a player?

The Internet

I can't say I've seen much of him. I do recall that Neil McCann was tearing it up for Dundee for a while before we signed him though. Sometimes it takes a while for someone to take a punt on a player?

Yeah, I've actually just checked and he's still only 21 :lol: Mental how many games he's played for such a young guy. Thought he was a bit older than that.

rudi must stay

Piotr Parzyszek of De Graafschap in Holland who is out of contract in the summer 6'3" forward and who has been watched by other Scottish clubs

Like the look of him, buries chances and has good stats as well as an impressive career. We bought El Hass from De Graafschap so there could be some truth in this

Got to remember there's 8 lads from the under's been promoted to first team so they will no doubt be given a chance also hopefully got some fire in there belly because this team does not. should replace most of of the usual starting 11 for next season....or here's hoping.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Overall its a bit early for that group.

It is possible we could start to see 1 or 2 next season maybe Euan Henderson or perhaps another such as Chris Hamilton on bench. But 2 or 3 years is more likely. Still some could develop quickly. Deoends on how they develop physically too.

bauld willie

Good original post.

The only area I would really disagree with in on Hamilton. Even the most optimistic supporter knows Hamilton is the worst keeper we have seen in 25 years.

I think this is a big litmus test for our management on how serious we are in going for trophies next season. If we keep Hamilton as number 1, the supporters are really being taken for granted. He wasn't ready last summer and he is just as far away now. I honestly don't think he should even be loaned out, he is that bad. We need someone we can depend on, not a keeper that petrifies everyone on crosses, distribution and general reading of the game.

Tynecastlesmychurch

Good original post.

The only area I would really disagree with in on Hamilton. Even the most optimistic supporter knows Hamilton is the worst keeper we have seen in 25 years.

I think this is a big litmus test for our management on how serious we are in going for trophies next season. If we keep Hamilton as number 1, the supporters are really being taken for granted. He wasn't ready last summer and he is just as far away now. I honestly don't think he should even be loaned out, he is that bad. We need someone we can depend on, not a keeper that petrifies everyone on crosses, distribution and general reading of the game.

Fair enough. But I would say keep in mind he wasn't originally going to be the number 1. Neilson thought Gilks was coming in. And then he did a U turn and went for more money to the walking dead. I think your right about his distribution and how he stands up to crosses. But you have to remember he is a superb shot stopper and although yes he's cost us silly goals. He's also kept us in games at times as well. I think if he has genuine competition pushing him. So that if he does start playing poorly then he can be dropped for a few games while he builds his confidence back up. Also let's be honest our defence this season has been poor. Next season fingers crossed that will be fixed and you might see a more confident Hamilton.

Like the look of him, buries chances and has good stats as well as an impressive career. We bought El Hass from De Graafschap so there could be some truth in this

Agent Andy Driver do your work! 

Good original post.

I don't rate Hamilton but he's better than Roddy McKenzie and Eddy Kurkis.

Jambo 4 Ever

Think we definitely need a goalie to challenge Jack, as previously said Alan Mannus is a free agent and would be good back up or No 1. Or Scott Bain, but he would want to be first choice and would have a transfer fee also.

RB - Happy to stick with Struna and Smith unless we loan out Smith then I'd go for Whittaker. He can play both full back positions so would be a good squad player.

LB - Definitely need to get this right after so many failures. Russell would be my choice and keep Rherass as he is contracted. If we can't get Russell maybe Taylor Sinclair from Doncaster or Devlin from Ayr.

CB - Berra, enough said. Id keep Hughes for a season and try sign Lindsay in Jan on pre contract. Other centre backs if we can't get Berra would be Devlin from Accies or the Celtic youngster Ajer on loan at Killie. Rory McCardle of Bradford

CM - will be a tough one as we have so many under contract. Tzolis will be gone so ideally we should try to sell 2 or use 2 as part of a deal for other players. Think we're stuck with Martin and Cowie is too old so that leaves Djoum,Kitchen and Buaben to sell or bargain with.

Jack from Aberdeen would be a very good signing also Jamie Ness(Scunthorpe),Stefan Schoughal and Mallen who would need a fee though.

Wingers - we're going to need 2, Ross Wallace is available and definitely should be going for Sibbald and McGinn after that I'm not sure. Maybe Makay Steven but by the sound of things he'll be away to Hibs as part of deal fo McGinn.

Forwards- Liam Boyce,Stevie May,Lyle Taylor(Wimbeldon)Cifti( not sure what his contract situation is)

Is there any substance to the Russell rumour?  I've heard good things about him and his contract runs out at the end of this season

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This is easily the most depressing thread I have read. Our talent pool is not great, the suggestions made aren't going to make it much better. Would love to know the budget this time round (obviously has to be confidential), but it needs about a 50% hike on wages to get serious.

Bazzas right boot

Johnson is good if used the correct way, running the channels. if used as a target man he's useless. I'd keep unless we can seriously upgrade, if used the right way he's good, causes problems.

Reilly is like Sammon, adds to the team, but won't score goals and lacks that bit of quality. With him or Sammon alongside Goncalves It could work. But as above, be good to aim higher, the likes off Anier, Moult would all be an upgrade.

I agree reference centre halfs ( I don't see anything about Novak). However I would move out Sowah asap. He's howling, only trumped by Osh but he's running him close tbh.

Tziolis hopefully will be away allowing for a replacement that offers drive and mobility.

Christie, GMS, Moult, Anier, Sibald O'Hallroan, Boyce or Schalke. would be my wish list from our league.

Throw in Berra, Walace and Mallan as above and we are rocking.

That would mean

Sammon, Reilly, Osh, Sowah, Avelnotis, Tziolos,Rhereas, Sam, Patterson, Novak and maybe Johnson all gone with likely Djoum being sold as well.

Prince also  will likely go for 1st team football.

Jesus, big changes.

Apologies for SP.

The Comedian

I like the idea of looking at the English lower leagues, some gems there but we don't scout it apparently.

rudi must stay

I like the idea of looking at the English lower leagues, some gems there but we don't scout it apparently.

The EPL scouts the English lower leagues as does the Championship. We can't compete with them unfortunately. I think we should go back to scouting the dutch league, they tend to be good with the ball on the deck.

The EPL scouts the English lower leagues as does the Championship. We can't compete with them unfortunately. I think we should go back to scouting the dutch league, they tend to be good with the ball on the deck.

This is the side of the football business is what I would be interested to hear Levein talk about. I know he wanted to increase our scouting next work from about 3 to 30. 

The Comedian

I don't get that, just about every other Scottish SPL side does it.

It's nice to see JKB in optimistic mode, even though the odds say our first signing will be someone who we've never heard of and has never heard of us

I'd never heard of Skacel....

Archived