General Election

Don Dan

Yes, I'd support the closure of the Scottish Parliament. I'd also support more powers devolved to local government authorities across the UK.

I wonder how much money would be saved if the Scottish Parliament did close? If it's not wanted then it's not needed surley?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I'd support the closure of the Scottish Parliament. I'd also support more powers devolved to local government authorities across the UK.

Cheers for answering. It's a view that I can't say I agree with but it does make sense to me which is more than I can say for a lot of other people I've spoken to.

and indey ref 2 should be thought with real consequences.

No vote- abolition of the Scottish parliament, and we take our rightful place as equals amongst the rest of the UK

Yes vote - we are a country

Its not that big a gamble, the parliament will come under question as a huge cash cow if we want to remain, if we choose to remain we should fall in line with the rest of the UK.

Hope never works, fear does. Time for a massive change of thinking amongst the SNP.

Even I am likely to vote labour in the next GE as ultimately Scotland is a battle ( a small one), UK wide  is the war. SNP can't win the war.

See sometimes I'd agree with an all-in strategy but the SNP are pragmatists and so are a lot of the Scottish electorate.

And I agree too with the sentiment that the GE needs to be about the UK and not so SNP focused, even if that means further erosion of the SNP vote at Westminster. The electorate, unlike the dishonest GE campaigns from the parties up here, are pretty good and differentiating between GE and Holyrood elections.

Mind you, if Corbyn can rally more SLAB away from the centrist, Blairite position and is ready to pounce when May's COBTM  (Coalition of Bigots) fails, and offers a truly federalist constitutional solution tied to a soft Brexit, the second referendum will be dead in the water.

We live in interesting times.

Bazzas right boot

Not only are the majority of Scots happy to be part of the Union, they're proud to be part of the United Kingdom.

Nationalists lashing out on the way down as the realisation dawns on them.

Great stuff

If true a second referendum with

yes- a country

no- we lose devoltion and become part of the UK entirely

Should not phase these folk and actually be encouraged.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

A complete joke this is. Throws away a majority of 13 or whatever and then pretends that a coalition with the DUP is a suitable alternative.

Get her out.

doctor jambo

I wonder how much money would be saved if the Scottish Parliament did close? If it's not wanted then it's not needed surley?

It is wanted

It protects me from southern nutbags of both red and blue persuasions, and we can moderate the excesses of both

Bazzas right boot

I think most people are proud to be Scottish but like the perceived financial/national security that they believe being part of the UK brings them.

I can't think of a better definition than being  a shite bag of a  nation than this.

It is wanted

It protects me from southern nutbags of both red and blue persuasions, and we can moderate the excesses of both

Is it wanted? No in the indyref and a last night's result? If the support for the SNP and independence continues to drop should it not be looked at?

Bazzas right boot

It is wanted

However, we do not deserve to be treated differently from the rest of the UK.

Why should we choose to be part of  the UK, then get "special powers"?

doctor jambo

If true a second referendum with

yes- a country

no- we lose devoltion and become part of the UK entirely

Should not phase these folk and actually be encouraged.

would feed right back into SNP hands that would.

doctor jambo

However, we do not deserve to be treated differently from the rest of the UK.

Why should we choose to be part of  the UK, then get "special powers"?

wales and NI both have devolved government

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I can't think of a better definition than being a shite bag of a nation than this.

Don't worry bud old people die. If you're alive for the next 20 years you'll see independence. Providing there's no big wars or drastic changes in the world. WW2 is over.

My gran was the only no voter in my whole family. :thumbsup:

Rudolf's Mate

Personally I'd rather they just had another ****ing election and have someone get a majority.

doctor jambo

Don't worry bud old people die. If you're alive for the next 20 years you'll see independence. Providing there's no big wars or drastic changes in the world. WW2 is over.

My gran was the only no voter in my whole family. :thumbsup:

And the young grow older and wiser,

the impetuousness of youth will be replaced with the pragmatism and wisdom of age- and when you are older and have a LOT to lose, you will vote remain.

those  with little to lose can afford the luxury of recklessness

Space Mackerel

So Spacey, tick tock tick tock...........when will indyref2 be now??

I'll be honest, I even considered voting Labour for a while if it wasn't for Ian Murray and his back stabbing of Corbyn.

I can distinguish between Westminster and Scottish issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'll be honest, I even considered voting Labour for a while if it wasn't for Ian Murray and his back stabbing of Corbyn.

Fair enough Spacey,fair enough, at least it's an answer of sorts which is a novelty although not the question I asked!!!

Captain Sausage

:rofl: this the line you're gonna go with then, eh?

Not time to step up and admit the SNP performed extremely poorly at this election which is a clear sign of disapproval from the Scottish people?

And the young grow older and wiser,

the impetuousness of youth will be replaced with the pragmatism and wisdom of age- and when you are older and have a LOT to lose, you will vote remain.

those  with little to lose can afford the luxury of recklessness

As a young voter myself I don't think that's a fair statement at all. I have a mortgage, a job, a (small) savings account and a partner who is currently at university with the eventual aim being a job in the NHS. 

What do you have to lose that I don't?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Fair enough Spacey,fair enough, at least it's an answer of sorts which is a novelty although not the question I asked!!!

In fairness, who the hell can second-guess anything now? Will Brexit actually happen? Will this government survive beyond the end of Brexit negotiations? Would the SNP do better is another (god forbid) general election is called?

The landscape is completely mad.

Space Mackerel

I think a lot of Scottish voters know the difference between the 2 political institutions. Just a shame Ruth and Kezia don't.

It isn't though. It's only life as we know it because people keep it that way by voting for their own self interest.

They are perfectly entitled to do so, but they shouldnt be surprised when people either call out their selfishness or question the logic of their voting behaviour

Basically, you'd rather be propped up by other people's money then.

Keep hearing the cries on here "can't believe anyone north of the border voting Tory!". I honestly can't believe how anyone could vote? for a terrorist sympathiser with the economic nous of a chimpanzee. And that's being harsh on the chimp!

Corbyn in charge of the country gives me shivers. Apparently it was the young vote that gave Labour their lift. You can imagine the same generation in a post Corbyn government (God forbid) having to pay the piper! Karma!!

As a young voter myself I don't think that's a fair statement at all. I have a mortgage, a job, a (small) savings account and a partner who is currently at university with the eventual aim being a job in the NHS. 

Out of interest, what age are you?

Captain Sausage

I imagine it's to do with shorter term stability. For the older generations, immediate stability is key as the longer term issues don't really affect them in the same way as it does for the youth. Therefore the younger generations are less likely to be risk averse as there is time for the potential benefits of change to be seen.

IMO of course, and obviously a sweeping generalization.

Space Mackerel

:rofl: this the line you're gonna go with then, eh?

Not time to step up and admit the SNP performed extremely poorly at this election which is a clear sign of disapproval from the Scottish people?

Wait a minute, we still won the election in Scotland, by a considerable margin. We took over 50% of the seats.

doctor jambo

to be fair it was in response to the dig that "older people die" so the next referendum will vote for indy.....

merely pointing out the folly of that statement.

I think a lot of Scottish voters know the difference between the 2 political institutions. Just a shame Ruth and Kezia don't.

So, what about indyref2 that you've crowed about?

You seem to be defecting again, what's your view on the effect of the clamour for indyref2 had on the result and when do think it'll happen? Do you think it should now be put on the back burner for the foreseeable future? What is your opinion on how the SNP get thier holygrail of independence now?

I imagine it's to do with shorter term stability. For the older generations, immediate stability is key as the longer term issues don't really affect them in the same way as it does for the youth. Therefore the younger generations are less likely to be risk averse as there is time for the potential benefits of change to be seen.

IMO of course, and obviously a sweeping generalization.

I can see the logic in that and why people would hold that view as much as I don't agree with it.

to be fair it was in response to the dig that "older people die" so the next referendum will vote for indy.....

merely pointing out the folly of that statement.

Fair enough.

Wait a minute, we still won the election in Scotland, by a considerable margin. We took over 50% of the seats.

and if it came to an indy vote you would only get 37% of the people, brigadoons gone, nae greetin now

Thanks, I would consider the "young" vote from 18 and about your age or 25. It seems people vote differently when they get older nowadays, I'm not sure how much tribal intergenerational voting goes on now the heavy industry has all but gone, I'd be interested to know?

tim-farron-election-621047.jpg

not enough of this... Mr Fish Finger.. for 309 votes in Tim Farrons constituency.

:glorious: I'd have voted for him!

Time to start again ?

doctor jambo

THe vote was pretty clear- anti indy was a streak ahead of the pro indy parties, with the loss of a third of their support, it was an awful night for the SNP

The sad thing is.

The folk that vote tory tactically ( but are actually central/ left) have just handed power to the right.

If 8-10 seats in scotland that had turned Tory had stayed SNP or went to Labour, then Labour SNP could have made the next government.

Instead England an NI will tell us what to do.

In all honesty, Scotland is a skid mark. we deserve to be told what to do, we really are a nation of shite bags.

SNP should throw the gauntlet down and state we will have another referendum, however in the result in a No vote the Scottish parliament should be dissolved and we should take our place in line with the rest of the UK. Afterall this is what we want?

:spoton:

Space Mackerel

and if it came to an indy vote you would only get 37% of the people, brigadoons gone, nae greetin now

When was this a vote on independence?

I certainly didn't vote that way.

This is a smack in the mouth for TM and her hard Brexit stance

Basically, you'd rather be propped up by other people's money then.

Keep hearing the cries on here "can't believe anyone north of the border voting Tory!". I honestly can't believe how anyone could vote? for a terrorist sympathiser with the economic nous of a chimpanzee. And that's being harsh on the chimp!

Corbyn in charge of the country gives me shivers. Apparently it was the young vote that gave Labour their lift. You can imagine the same generation in a post Corbyn government (God forbid) having to pay the piper! Karma!!

Point 1 - no, I wouldnt. I'm propped up by my own money quite well. What I would like is a society that does prop those less fortunate up and that is why I vote for one.

Point 2 - I'm not North of the border and haven't once said those North of the border shouldn't vote Tory. People can vote for whomever they want; they should be honest with themselves as to why they do it though.

As for your terrorist sympathiser point you're obviously not very clued up on politics so there's little point in debating with you. However, who do you think has been arming ISIS? And what are your thoughts on the DUP?

OmiyaHearts

Thanks, I would consider the "young" vote from 18 and about your age or 25. It seems people vote differently when they get older nowadays, I'm not sure how much tribal intergenerational voting goes on now the heavy industry has all but gone, I'd be interested to know?

From personal experience and people I know - family, friends & work colleagues. Young voters used to generally vote the same party their parents did. As soon as I matured a bit and thought for myself, I've never voted the same as my parents in general elections, local elections and independence referendum.

I get the feeling young voters nowadays are more engaged and make their own mind up. They have more resources to check information and don't have to rely on the lies / views of the news and newspapers when deciding who to vote for. 

Young voters tend to have a more open mind to change. My parents seem to dislike or fear change.

ToadKiller Dog

Surely there are a few sensible heads within the Tory Spivs who see a grubby deal to cling onto power with the DUP as dangerous for Northern Ireland politics and not worth the risk .

Looking forward to Ruth defending a partnership with a group of people of which many think her sexual preference as an abomination .

The Tory spivs attempts to cling on to power will see them gone cone the rerun in October / November .

I can't answer that but on a personal level I don't consider myself a supporter of a particular party in the same why I'm a supporter of Hearts for example. I would have no qualms about changing my political allegiance if I thought that doing so would benefit Scotland, or Britain, as a whole.

In my opinion a lot of young people feel the same why I do but that's only from my own experiences. I've no idea what the consensus would be around the country.

Time to start again ?

You could say that, but is that an actual opinion that you believe young people hold? I talk to a lot of people my age and never have I heard the view "It doesn't matter if I lose it all, I can start again".

I agree that factually in some cases you're technically correct but in terms of voter mindset I'd be amazed if anyway is casting a vote thinking that it's a gamble against their own circumstances but aren't bothered because if worst comes to worst there's "time to start again". 25 or 95 nobody wants to start again.

When was this a vote on independence?

I certainly didn't vote that way.

This is a smack in the mouth for TM and her hard Brexit stance

this talk of may resigning, sturgeon swimming off, surely its time WOS called for your head. as the top fruitloop propogandist, you've done an awful job, time to fall on the sword, people are seeing right through your bullshit.

From personal experience and people I know - family, friends & work colleagues. Young voters used to generally vote the same party their parents did. As soon as I matured a bit and thought for myself, I've never voted the same as my parents in general elections, local elections and independence referendum.

I get the feeling young voters nowadays are more engaged and make their own mind up. They have more resources to check information and don't have to rely on the lies / views of the news and newspapers when deciding who to vote for. 

Young voters tend to have a more open mind to change. My parents seem to dislike or fear change.

:thumbsup:

I never knew what my parents voted, I asked my mum a couple of times but she always said it was none of business what she voted and when I was old enough I could make my own mind up. Where I grew up people voted Labour because thier parents did because thier parents did, I'm not sure if it's the same now, I'm sure the SNP get some of thier votes nowadays. There's definitely more information available today via social media and 24 hour news so individual younger minds can be made up on evidence and info rather than parental influence.

Bazzas right boot

Scot ref as it stands is a no- goer.

Scot ref as a different choice is on the cards.

Yes- country

No- region of UK , special powers.

Put the soft no's and plastic Scots to the test.

This is full in or full out. No safety net of the SNP and the Scottish parliament. No crawling. basically we are a country and walk tall or we are effectively North UK.

Ref 2 has already passed through parliament, its just the timing and the goal posts that have to be set.

SNP should be more ruthless.

In this case there is no grey area ( no extra powers, no mincing about), once the choice has been made that it is it.

Scottish or British, no shite in between.

Only once this happens will we move forward.

A federal system would change this of course and a JC government could change everything.

...a bit disco

Captain Buckethead increased his share of the vote this year. Was only 39750-ish votes behind May in that constitutency.

Next Home Secretary...?

Lord?

Legendary.

Decent manifesto too.

LB1.jpg

lb2.jpg

doctor jambo

I can't answer that but on a personal level I don't consider myself a supporter of a particular party in the same why I'm a supporter of Hearts for example. I would have no qualms about changing my political allegiance if I thought that doing so would benefit Scotland, or Britain, as a whole.

In my opinion a lot of young people feel the same why I do but that's only from my own experiences. I've no idea what the consensus would be around the country.

You could say that, but is that an actual opinion that you believe young people hold? I talk to a lot of people my age and never have I heard the view "It doesn't matter if I lose it all, I can start again".

I agree that factually in some cases you're technically correct but in terms of voter mindset I'd be amazed if anyway is casting a vote thinking that it's a gamble against their own circumstances but aren't bothered because if worst comes to worst there's "time to start again". 25 or 95 nobody wants to start again.

As a younger man I was more into redistribution and tended to look on those above me as having somehow having been given what they had.

Now I'm one of the higher ones I know that I had to work, claw and strive and struggle to get what I have and where I am- as they did.

to have the young 'uns and labour in particular to see me as part of the problem, and that I should be made to give up large chunks of what I worked insanely hard for,

and to NOT pass what I worked for down to my kids,

and to NOT be able to give my kids a leg up that I never had

and to imply that because I am well off I  am somehow NOT working class is feckin offensive

I work incredibly hard,

I was given nothing

I am not some inherited wealth toff landowner

Toxteth O'Grady

Flutes oot!

48cb135106be77450dd95bbeaf899915.jpg

They are dinosaurs. Promote Orangism - wtf

Francis Albert

I'm still trying to get my head around this soft Brexit chat?

What is it?

Basically no Brexit?

I have asked many times what the difference between "Soft Brexit" and "Remain" is without getting an answer.

Archived