General Election

Don Dan

Space Mackerel

The sad thing is.

The folk that vote tory tactically ( but are actually central/ left) have just handed power to the right.

If 8-10 seats in scotland that had turned Tory had stayed SNP or went to Labour, then Labour SNP could have made the next government.

Instead England an NI will tell us what to do.

In all honesty, Scotland is a skid mark. we deserve to be told what to do, we really are a nation of shite bags.

SNP should throw the gauntlet down and state we will have another referendum, however in the result in a No vote the Scottish parliament should be dissolved and we should take our place in line with the rest of the UK. Afterall this is what we want?

Can't argue with any of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Space Mackerel

Should help strengthen the union though

Maybe not. Might hasten a United Ireland.

The sad thing is.

The folk that vote tory tactically ( but are actually central/ left) have just handed power to the right.

If 8-10 seats in scotland that had turned Tory had stayed SNP or went to Labour, then Labour SNP could have made the next government.

In all honesty, Scotland is a skid mark. we deserve to be told what to do, we really are a nation of shite bags.

SNP should throw the gauntlet down and state we will have another referendum, however in the result in a No vote the Scottish parliament should be dissolved and we should take our place in line with the rest of the UK. Afterall this is what we want?

Pains me to say this is true. All or nothing, make the people decide.

The Real Maroonblood

That would be nice.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Oh, this will be good!

How do you work that out?

The Tory gains in Scotland were made on a single issue protest vote against another IndyRef.

They'll go back to being irrelevant again at the next GE.

Hasselhoff

The sad thing is.

Stop talking Scotland down!!!

Happy to answer that one. It's not all Tory territory - the main population centres in Musselburgh, Prestonpans and Tranent have always been fertile ground for Labour and more recently the SNP. And the rest of the county has always been sympathetic to able, moderate Labour politicians such as John MacIntosh, John Home Robertson and Iain Gray (now the MSP and who held it against the trend at the last Scottish Election). Add to that the fact that it has one of the best educated electorates in Scotland when it comes to tactical voting, and they came up with a good candidate this time in Former lawyer tuned schoolteacher Martin Whitfield.

Labour put considerable effort into this one, with frequent visits by Kezia Dugdale, and strong support from Iain Gray. The siting MP, George Kerevan, who actually lives not in the constituency but in Edinburgh, was also handicapped by the opposition of many voters to the possibility of Indyref2, and lost many votes to both Labour and Conservative on that one.

In fact the Tories did increase their vote and are now snapping at the heels of the SNP. But not enough to upset the form in this particular constituency. Pretty much as I had expected, in fact.

Cheers for the explanation!

This is what's confusing at the moment. Instead of the other parties saying take indyref2 off the table. Now is the time to say let's have it. The electorate have spoken. Call out the SNP now!

Space Mackerel

Oh, this will be good!

Are you forgetting about Brexit?

10 days from now the talks start.

Space Mackerel

This is what's confusing at the moment. Instead of the other parties saying take indyref2 off the table. Now is the time to say let's have it. The electorate have spoken. Call out the SNP now!

"Now is not the time"

Bazzas right boot

Said this for a while.

Really make Ruth and Dugdale squirm.

Lay it all out, no half in half out.

Giving the voting pattern it would seem the logical thing to do, on last night around 60% don't support the SNP. If there is a greater desire for the union, then make it 100%.

The only way to find out if this desire to remain as part of the UK is to make it a

No vote- we become a region of the UK , and fall in line with everyone else. No parliament, in all honesty if folk want top be part of the union then the thing along with all the MSP's are a cost that is not needed.

Yes vote- we become a country

Rudolf's Mate

The sad thing is.

And if some more SNP voters had backed Labour we wouldn't be in this sorry state.

Let's all start pointing the fingers at each other [emoji23]

Geoff Kilpatrick

You been drinking Geoff?

Irrespective of whether I've imbibed alcohol or not, Northern Ireland's future is decided by the people of Northern Ireland alone, as defined by the GFA. So Space, unsurprisingly, is talking bollocks again.

Oh, this will be good!

He'll find something to cut and paste or link you to some Nat website.....

Bazzas right boot

Not on the terms of a no vote means the abolishment of the Scottish parliment tho.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Are you forgetting about Brexit?

10 days from now the talks start.

No.

I think you also missed Snarlene saying that she wanted a soft Brexit too.

Space Mackerel

No.

I think you also missed Snarlene saying that she wanted a soft Brexit too.

I'm still trying to get my head around this soft Brexit chat?

What is it?

Basically no Brexit?

Bazzas right boot

Stop talking Scotland down!!!

Nope, we really are a shite bag nation.

We have had several chance to take our destiny in to our hands, each time we passed.

We will now be governed by England and NI.

The parliment should be brought into question given 60% of the electorate are anti SNP ( Anti independence).

We don't deserve to be treated differently from the rest of the UK, we chose to be part of the UK, we have helped elect a Tory/ NI Westminster government, we deserved to be governed the same as other regions of the UK.

It should be laid out as such.

You were asked before if you vote Tory for personal reasons (i.e. you personally are better off under them) and you said no. You clearly do and I dont understand why some (pretty much always Tory) voters are almost ashamed to admit why they vote the way they do.

I said on the eve of the election I voted Tory. I voted Tory in the Council elections too. Why would I be ashamed to say what I vote.

What I do open myself up to though by saying that is a vitriolic onslaught from rabid posters who show no respect for anyone else point of view. There are at few exceptions but not many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Sorry for voting Tory, it wasn't my fault.  The SNP made me do it."

I suppose it was the SNP's fault that Scottish Labour were so shite that voting Tory was the obvious response, instead of voting Labour, for example?

I see he's completely ignored the posts about Kezia actively suggesting Tory votes in areas where they were placed better to beat the SNP. At the risk of repeating myself, it is obvious that if SLAB had purged the Blairites and went all-in with Corbyn, they might yet have sneaked 2nd place in Scotland.

This coalition wont last 5 minutes. May knows it. Corbyn knows it. Hell Sturgeon probably even knows it.

May and probably Sturgeon wont be around for the re-play (which will be in the late autumn)but it will result in a Labour led LibDem/SNP coalition

Sturgeon just walloped the opposition. Just because the disproportionate high of 56 was not achievable (and never will be, again) this time round, that is still their second highest GE polling ever. The SNP took more seats than the entire opposition, combined, and more than the Lib-dems nationwide.

Sorry to disappoint you but she is going nowhere. The 2nd referendum has already been voted for at Holyrood - something Ruth the mooth and the Dug seem to have forgotten - and ultimately the fate of that referendum is still linked to post-Brexit, as it always was.

May is toast, no question. The tories will see to that themselves.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'm still trying to get my head around this soft Brexit chat?

What is it?

Basically no Brexit?

The Norway option, which some of us called at the time.

Space Mackerel

The Norway option, which some of us called at the time.

Ah well, bang goes ?350 million to the NHS.

So we pay more to gain access and have no influence.

Superb thinking.

Captain Sausage

A soft Brexit (as close as we can get to no Brexit at all) and a big nose bleed for Scottish independence would do for me.

Really happy with how last night went.

Bazzas right boot

I said on the eve of the election I voted Tory. I voted Tory in the Council elections too. Why would I be ashamed to say what I vote.

What I do open myself up to though by saying that is a vitriolic onslaught from rabid posters who show no respect for anyone else point of view. There are at few exceptions but not many.

Of course, you shouldn't get abuse for voting Tory. Thats shite patter.

What is difficult to understand is those that are actually central/ left and voted tactically.

Bazzas right boot

Superb thinking.

Quality logic.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Superb thinking.

And yet Norway doesn't rush to join. Perhaps because, you know, the direction of travel is a Federal Europe with even more supranational powers with a currency that isn't fit for purpose and is strangling the life out of southern Europe.

We have had several chance to take our destiny in to our hands, each time we passed.

The parliment should be brought into question given 60% of the electorate are anti SNP ( Anti independence).

We don't deserve to be treated differently from the rest of the UK, we chose to be part of the UK, we have helped elect a Tory/ NI Westminster government, we deserved to be governed the same as other regions of the UK.

This. Scotland has shat the bed again.

Bazzas right boot

I see he's completely ignored the posts about Kezia actively suggesting Tory votes in areas where they were placed better to beat the SNP. At the risk of repeating myself, it is obvious that if SLAB had purged the Blairites and went all-in with Corbyn, they might yet have sneaked 2nd place in Scotland.

Sturgeon just walloped the opposition. Just because the disproportionate high of 56 was not achievable (and never will be, again) this time round, that is still their second highest GE polling ever. The SNP took more seats than the entire opposition, combined, and more than the Lib-dems nationwide.

Sorry to disappoint you but she is going nowhere. The 2nd referendum has already been voted for at Holyrood - something Ruth the mooth and the Dug seem to have forgotten - and ultimately the fate of that referendum is still linked to post-Brexit, as it always was.

May is toast, no question. The tories will see to that themselves.

and indey ref 2 should be thought with real consequences.

No vote- abolition of the Scottish parliament, and we take our rightful place as equals amongst the rest of the UK

Yes vote - we are a country

Its not that big a gamble, the parliament will come under question as a huge cash cow if we want to remain, if we choose to remain we should fall in line with the rest of the UK.

Hope never works, fear does. Time for a massive change of thinking amongst the SNP.

Even I am likely to vote labour in the next GE as ultimately Scotland is a battle ( a small one), UK wide  is the war. SNP can't win the war.

doctor jambo

Calm down dear,

Scotland was pretty consistant- it wants to remain in the Union, and it wants a softer Brexit

all the previous Labour voters ( ie the poorer demographic) have slavishly moved over to the SNP for ever

The fishing and farming communities were always Tory, never really changed to SNP and have now "gone home"

none of this is surprising

Not only are the majority of Scots happy to be part of the Union, they're proud to be part of the United Kingdom.

Nationalists lashing out on the way down as the realisation dawns on them.

Great stuff

doctor jambo

We love it.  The perennial underachievers.  The national cringe.  The gallant losers.  Just a country of cowards who will always bend a knee towards an Englishman.

Tried explaining the national cringe to the wife, and American friends, they don't get it.  Utter embarrassment.

No cringe here, love being Scottish,

Also love being Scottish as part of the UK

I'd have to say I somewhat feel SUPERIOR to the English, and certainly would never countenance bending to anyone I'm not married to....

Bowmans_Boot

I wasnt giving you a hard time for voting Tory, I just thought you werent being entirely honest and admitting that it was because you are better off personally by doing so.

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

Not only are the majority of Scots happy to be part of the Union, they're proud to be part of the United Kingdom.

Great stuff

I'm a supporter of independence but even more so a supporter of democracy and if what you say is true, and it would seem to be, then fine. That needs to be accepted. But why then do we have a Scottish Parliament and why are we treated differently to other UK countries as has been said above?

In my opinion it needs to be all or nothing. I have my preference but I wouldn't say categorically that one is right and the other is wrong.

Because of your post I'd be interested to know, as someone who is proud to be in the Union would you support the Scottish Parliament being dissolved?

Great stuff

Yep Nats are still greetin intae their porridge. Everyone that didn't vote SNP is dumb, stupid, traitorous, Tory lovers. The list goes on. Typical angry wee people with more chips on their shoulders than a McCains factory.

The SNP took a helluva doin last night and it was only there huge leads from 2015 that saved them from even bigger humiliation. 37% share means 63% have spoken and said ram yer Indy ref2.

If wee nippy had concentrated on her day job and did what she was elected to do and that's look after Scotlands health, education, policing, transport etc then she might not be looking at such an embarrassing kick in the baws. Fat Eck certainly said in 2014 it was a once in a generation chance, wee nippy has made sure it's going to be a few generations before it's brought up again. Surely her position is untenable now.

Space Mackerel

And yet Norway doesn't rush to join. Perhaps because, you know, the direction of travel is a Federal Europe with even more supranational powers with a currency that isn't fit for purpose and is strangling the life out of southern Europe.

Pretty much the world wide economy is stagnated nowadays. Not just Europe.

I wasnt giving you a hard time for voting Tory, I just thought you werent being entirely honest and admitting that it was because you are better off personally by doing so.

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

Not you in that category [emoji106]

Bowmans_Boot

Great stuff

I think most people are proud to be Scottish but like the perceived financial/national security that they believe being part of the UK brings them.

Space Mackerel

Yep Nats are still greetin intae their porridge. Everyone that didn't vote SNP is dumb, stupid, traitorous, Tory lovers. The list goes on. Typical angry wee people with more chips on their shoulders than a McCains factory.

The SNP took a helluva doin last night and it was only there huge leads from 2015 that saved them from even bigger humiliation. 37% share means 63% have spoken and said ram yer Indy ref2.

If wee nippy had concentrated on her day job and did what she was elected to do and that's look after Scotlands health, education, policing, transport etc then she might not be looking at such an embarrassing kick in the baws. Fat Eck certainly said in 2014 it was a once in a generation chance, wee nippy has made sure it's going to be a few generations before it's brought up again. Surely her position is untenable now.

35 seats is still an electoral hiding, don't dress it up as anything else.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Pretty much the world wide economy is stagnated nowadays. Not just Europe.

Indeed. Not everywhere has unemployment in double digits beginning with 2 though.

Space Mackerel

Indeed. Not everywhere has unemployment in double digits beginning with 2 though.

Maybe they need more zero hour contracts to massage the figures.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Or maybe they need their own currencies to devalue and find their own level to give them breathing space? Radical idea.

I think most people are proud to be Scottish but like the perceived financial/national security that they believe being part of the UK brings them.

Bang on. From talking to people I know a fair number who follow this exact line of thinking.

So Spacey, tick tock tick tock...........when will indyref2 be now??

I'm a supporter of independence but even more so a supporter of democracy and if what you say is true, and it would seem to be, then fine. That needs to be accepted. But why then do we have a Scottish Parliament and why are we treated differently to other UK countries as has been said above?

In my opinion it needs to be all or nothing. I have my preference but I wouldn't say categorically that one is right and the other is wrong.

Because of your post I'd be interested to know, as someone who is proud to be in the Union would you support the Scottish Parliament being dissolved?

Yes, I'd support the closure of the Scottish Parliament. I'd also support more powers devolved to local government authorities across the UK.

Agreed. That's my experience.

doctor jambo

Some of the electorate in Scotland are so far from reality it's disturbing.

Are you being deliberately ironic?

doctor jambo

Yes, I'd support the closure of the Scottish Parliament. I'd also support more powers devolved to local government authorities across the UK.

I wouldn't , because they are my Bullwark against left wing governments.

Even had Corbyn got in the SNP would have protected me from the taxation insanity of labour, and the VAT off private school fees

Archived