General Election

Don Dan

Roxy Hearts

its in the eye of the beholder.

Would Nicola sturgeon support Shetland Independence from Scotland? Then Orkney? What if it was the "will of the Orkney people" to stay in the UK in IndyRef2?

Where the line is drawn is a matter of individual opinion and political expediency.

Those 2 islands are Scottish. Majority rules in a democracy. I've accepted the result but still want independence and don't want an indyref2.

Independence will come if there's a will and when people stop believing MSM propaganda and stop saying we can't do it.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rofl: this the line you're gonna go with then, eh?

Not time to step up and admit the SNP performed extremely poorly at this election which is a clear sign of disapproval from the Scottish people?

I said that to my mate who is a Nationalist and all he could say was SNP still got most votes, even though many voters turned their back on them and voted Tory.

jack D and coke

Really, I must have imagined the NHS in disarray, Our once much vaunted Education system crumbling, and Pot holed roads. Not to mention Scotlands rising debt since the SNP came to power. Please list the examples of Scotland running well - that should be good for a laugh.

Scotlands debt???? Scotland has no debt.

The NHS is not in disarray or not anywhere near as bad as down south and neither is the education system crumbling the slide had started under labour.

I'm going to give you the pot holes though.

jack D and coke

Seeing an individual change their opinion over a sustained period of time is natural, and a sign of development.

Ruth has changed her mind 8 times in 12 months. The woman is a complete shyster who is found out when a competent journalist puts any kind of pressure on her.

The Rangers fans are all blinded by Ruth just now, it's pretty mind boggling to most sane people who understand she only had one policy and that she battered everybody over the head with it for months but perfectly natural for them to barely be able to process anything more than that and for them to be subservient.

It shows the bias of the media when she is held up as a good Scottish politician when in fact she's an absolute arsehole.

The Rangers fans are all blinded by Ruth just now, it's pretty mind boggling to most sane people who understand she only had one policy and that she battered everybody over the head with it for months but perfectly natural for them to barely be able to process anything more than that and for them to be subservient.

It shows the bias of the media when she is held up as a good Scottish politician when in fact she's an absolute arsehole.

Rangers fans ?

It's the SNP vs Rangers now isn't.

Well that's certainly news to me : is it a league or cup competition ? & which incarnation of Rangers are playing ?

jack D and coke

Well that's certainly news to me : is it a league or cup competition ? & which incarnation of Rangers are playing ?

Old and new versions unfortunately. To become champions of Scotland but just a play off every few years though[emoji1360]

Seriously Rangers fans...now there's a Scottish mentality if ever I read one. Presumably this is a unionist = Protestant = Rangers or some weird thing??

Did you watch the STV leaders debate. The one on one with the audience questions? I didn't vote for her by I'm big enough to admit she was the most impressive of all the leaders.

Thunderstruck

Scotlands debt???? Scotland has no debt.

Yes it does. If you look at the front of today's Herald you will see a suggestion for working on that debt.

But not just that, relatively small, debt but also the share of the UK debt unless you believe that no public expenditure has taken place in Scotland.

jack D and coke

Yes it does. If you look at the front of today's Herald you will see a suggestion for working on that debt.

But not just that, relatively small, debt but also the share of the UK debt unless you believe that no public expenditure has taken place in Scotland.

How can Scotland have debt when it can't borrow? Scotland is for all intents and purposes North Britain. Britain borrows, its britains debt.

Thunderstruck

How can Scotland have debt when it can't borrow? Scotland is for all intents and purposes North Britain. Britain borrows, its britains debt.

Golden rule - never ask a question that you don't know the answer to. A wee bit of research might not hurt.

jack D and coke

Golden rule - never ask a question that you don't know the answer to. A wee bit of research might not hurt.

Care to point me in the right direction then?

Thunderstruck

See this. All avenues are explained in great detail.

http://allofusfirst.org/tasks/render/file/?fileID=0E6C9768-E352-B8B1-B418993DB5C0D4AE

I got as far as "Dr. Craig Dalzell is an MSci and PhD in Laser Physics and Photonics. He is an activist and researcher and runs a politics and economics blog..."

Yes, a nice, balanced bit of research.

Even if his "work" is close to being valid, it is also a year old and the events of the last week render it moot.

You also seem to have missed the point about current debt where the debtor is the Scottish public sector.

Space Mackerel

I got as far as "Dr. Craig Dalzell is an MSci and PhD in Laser Physics and Photonics. He is an activist and researcher and runs a politics and economics blog..."

Yes, a nice, balanced bit of research.

Even if his "work" is close to being valid, it is also a year old and the events of the last week render it moot.

You also seem to have missed the point about current debt where the debtor is the Scottish public sector.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, so you know more about it than him.

Gotcha. [emoji106]

SwindonJambo

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, so you know more about it than him.

Gotcha. [emoji106]

He's a scientist and not an economist.

SwindonJambo

I'd say the same regardless of what side of the debate he was on. He's a distinguished academic and clearly very clever but in the wrong discipline to be an authority on this. He's a scientist and not an economist so the blog is merely a hobby and passion. Which is perfectly fine but wouldn't carry anything like the same weight as a similarly intelligent blogger who is an academic authority on economics.

Thunderstruck

Says the man who quotes a bloke who has a loss-making business flogging dug food.

Excuse me, pal.

Care to explain.

Space Mackerel

He's a scientist and not an economist.

There's an old saying:

"You can lay all the economists in the world down on the ground and they still won't reach a conclusion"

I'll take the Dr's word over you and Thundercat.

maroonlegions

This actually isn't satire.

THECANARY.CO

austerity for everyone, except us.

The Conservatives have spent seven years presiding over austerity for the most vulnerable people in society. The change in the benefit system to Universal Credit represented a huge cut in unemployment allowance, among other benefits, for millions. The Tories have also ruthlessly slashed disabled people?s unemployment benefits.

But May is now rushing to financially ?help? Conservative colleagues who are out of a job. Twitter responded accordingly to the double standard:

:cornette:

:muggy:

SwindonJambo

There's an old saying:

"You can lay all the economists in the world down on the ground and they still won't reach a conclusion"

I'll take the Dr's word over you and Thundercat.

Fine as it suits you. But being an expert in one field does not make you an expert in another. That's what economics is - opinions, assumptions and some facts.

He is a Scientist. He studies science. That's S-C-I-E-N-C-E. Physics, Chemistry, Bioliogy - that sort of stuff. And I'm sure anything he has to say on that is well worth a listen as he will certainly know what he's talking about.

But on Economics his opinions are that of an intelligent layman and nothing more.

Space Mackerel

Fine as it suits you. But being an expert in one field does not make you an expert in another. That's what economics is - opinions, assumptions and some facts.

He is a Scientist. He studies science. That's S-C-I-E-N-C-E. Physics, Chemistry, Bioliogy - that sort of stuff. And I'm sure anything he has to say on that is well worth a listen as he will certainly know what he's talking about.

But on Economics his opinions are that of an intelligent layman and nothing more.

Just admit it, all options look tidy for an independent Scotland. :)

SwindonJambo

Just admit it, all options look tidy for an independent Scotland. :)

If it ever happens, I hope the options available at the time are good, just like every other Scot. At the moment I don't think they are though.

What are these options ? And no pictures or links to biased websites please.

SwindonJambo

Jo Swinson v Norman Lamb for the job imo.

Agreed. If it wasn't for his age, Vince Cable would have been a good bet too. Only 12 MPs so few contenders!

maroonlegions

Well they are living up to their name of the nasty party.

They are strutting about like they have no cares and  what they have done in the past.

There seems to be a real  lack of any real remorse or human compassion with this appointment.

All about the look off the building  and not about the safety then.

Rich landlords taking the piss again.

INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

:muggy:

:facepalm:

There is a substantial list of Tories who voted against making it law for landlords to make sure that properties were fit for human habitation. :facepalm:

Jambo-Jimbo

Good.

He's a complete tool.

In his leaving speech he made clear that his Christian faith is incompatible with the modern world. Maybe the DUP will give him a job.

He obviously didn't see the irony in what he said.

"I?m a liberal to my finger tips, and that liberalism means that I am passionate about defending the rights and liberties of people who believe different things to me."

And

"In which case we are kidding ourselves if we think we yet live in a tolerant, liberal society."

He's so much a tolerant liberal that he's against gay marriage and gay sex.

Total hypocrite, good riddance.

"I?m a liberal to my finger tips, and that liberalism means that I am passionate about defending the rights and liberties of people who believe different things to me."

And

"In which case we are kidding ourselves if we think we yet live in a tolerant, liberal society."

He's actually got the front to play the victim card!

Awww poor wee Timmy, did all the nasty people bully you because you hate homosexuality but it's the 21st century?

:seething:

jambo lodge

And

How very PC of you.....do you not see the irony of your own post. Free speech and what you believe is fine as long as you agree with my views. Tim Farron's views are no different as a Christin than that of Muslims and many others............Just waiting on the PC brigade to hound Muslims the way they hounded Tim Farron.

And

My understanding was that when it came to actually voting on legislation he always voted for full equality and gay rights (as opposed to those who used their religious POV to vote against).

As long as he doesn't use his opinion and POV to vote against equal rights he can believe what he wants IMHO.

jambo lodge

Interesting to read posts on here from the PC brigade. Tim Farron has been hounded by the press for his Christian faith, even although he is adamant that he is not homophobic...........how dare he have different views from the PC brigade ,free speech and belief are not allowed in this society any longer. Look forward to the day when the PC press hound Muslim MP's who will hold very similar views to Tim Farron.

Maroon Sailor

Give the Lib Dem leader to Swinson now. All female cast.

Trees are May, Wee Burney, Swinno, Snarlene, Leanne Wood-int and the bearded lady Jemima Corbyn

What a ****ing embarrassment Farron is. Just admitted his whole political party leadership and associated beliefs was a sham. Prick.

The Lizard party have been in bed with the DUP & the Saudi Secret Service. Can you image if the SNP was anywhere near this?

Secret dark money sloshing about. The tank commander get ?100k and didnt say where it came from. Nice.

He's actually got the front to play the victim card!

Awww poor wee Timmy, did all the nasty people bully you because you hate homosexuality but it's the 21st century?

:seething:

I actually think he's got a valid point.

Liberalism is accepting a plurality of views, opinions and faiths may exist in one society. Farron is an evangelical Christian. He may well believe homosexuality is a sin. But we must then ask do his personal views and faith affect his ability to be an MP?

Answer? No. His voting record on LGBT rights is stronger than some of those without faith.

I think he's felt trapped. Imagine he tried to explain that to the public. He'd be slated in my view. If he feels he cannot be true to his faith and job - as he does - then he has to step aside as leader.

I don't think there is an ounce of malice in Farron toward anyone to be honest. It's a shame he's felt the need to do that.

People are allowed to have opinions and express their faith

I judge others on how they deal and speak to those whom they may disagree with or whose faith or actions they feel are wrong

If they are fair, treat them with respect and do not discriminate against them then what is wrong with being open with your feelings

PS of course we are not talking about killing people in terms of expressing an opinion.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I actually think he's got a valid point.

Liberalism is accepting a plurality of views, opinions and faiths may exist in one society. Farron is an evangelical Christian. He may well believe homosexuality is a sin. But we must then ask do his personal views and faith affect his ability to be an MP?

Answer? No. His voting record on LGBT rights is stronger than some of those without faith.

I think he's felt trapped. Imagine he tried to explain that to the public. He'd be slated in my view. If he feels he cannot be true to his faith and job - as he does - then he has to step aside as leader.

I don't think there is an ounce of malice in Farron toward anyone to be honest. It's a shame he's felt the need to do that.

Agreed.

I think this row is more of a smokescreen for the fact that he's a shit leader.

manaliveits105

So wee gallus Krankie says there will be no knee jerk reaction reagarding indyref2 ?

Just do the right thing Jimmy and resign you fecked up royally and put indy out of sight

Agreed.

I think this row is more of a smokescreen for the fact that he's a shit leader.

Agreed. His zingers in the leaders debate were decent though.

So wee gallus Krankie says there will be no knee jerk reaction reagarding indyref2 ?

Just do the right thing Jimmy and resign you fecked up royally and put indy out of sight

The Scots voted for it

A Scottish parliment majority voted for it

The SNP won the GE in Scotland with more seats than ALL the unionist parties put together.

Why should it be out of sight in your opinion?

Should Brexit now be halted because the evil lizard party lost some seats too???

Space Mackerel

The Scots voted for it

The SNP won the GE in Scotland with more seats than ALL the unionist parties put together.

Should Brexit now be halted because the evil lizard party lost some seats too???

I think you're better off copying and pasting this for the next 2 years on here.

The Scots voted for it

One is a defeated referendum proposal which has for political expediency has been brought back.

The other is a successful referendum proposal that all parties have accepted and are now debating the correct way forward.

Space Mackerel

One is a defeated referendum proposal which has for political expediency has been brought back.

The other is a successful referendum proposal that all parties have accepted and are now debating the correct way forward.

All parties are debating correct way forward?

I must have missed something. :-/

Space Mackerel

A hung parliament in Westminster has a more democratic mandate than a 35 to 24 vote up here.

Right you are. :lol:

Archived