• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Amazing news  :rofl: 

Tick tock

While we are still part of the UK it really isn’t. Self harm the new tactic from the nationalists ? 🙄

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

While we are still part of the UK it really isn’t. Self harm the new tactic from the nationalists ? 🙄

You vote for them. I don't.

Shooter McGavin

As houses in England have started going up in flames due to the heat,

what is the tories big plan of action on climate change you ask?

**** all.

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Professor Frink said:

There'll be a General Election before the year's out if Truss gets the gig.

Hope she gets the job, hope she does a Boris and clings on for dear life as her govt absolutely tanks like no other since. It'll be interesting to see who she appoints as chancellor though 😁

:rofl:

if Labour can’t win it after the tories have essentially went into meltdown they will never win it. This is ****ing mental. 

Lizz Truss favourite. 🙈

9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

You vote for them. I don't.

You don’t vote for people because you think they are going to make things worse Ray. Never mind if it makes you happy watching someone like Truss become pm then who am I to comment. 

6 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

:rofl:

if Labour can’t win it after the tories have essentially went into meltdown they will never win it. This is ****ing mental. 

Lizz Truss favourite. 🙈

Spot on.  If the electorate doesn't vote for an alternative after the bin fire of the last 12 years (+) then it is effectively choosing a permanent one party political system.  And it has nothing to do with Labour supposedly being hopeless or 'just the same',  etc.  It will be because of indoctrination.  It's already well ingrained into the political consciousness of most of the country.  

Shooter McGavin

“There is no alternative” is just the lazy, ignorant and hard of thinking persons mantra.

If you lined 5 people up, and the first 4 said they’d give you a wee slap on the face, but then the 5th person said that they would cut your head off, you wouldn’t go with the 5th person, would you?

Although, the English electorate probably would if they found out that #1 attended a pride event, #2 doesn’t really like Downton Abbey, #3 ate a fruit salad on a train once, and #4 doesn’t attend church on a Sunday.

Shooter McGavin

“There is no alternative” is just the lazy, ignorant and hard of thinking persons mantra.

If you lined 5 people up, and the first 4 said they’d give you a wee slap on the face, but then the 5th person said that they would cut your head off, you wouldn’t go with the 5th person, would you?

Although, the English electorate probably would if they found out that #1 attended a pride event, #2 doesn’t really like Downton Abbey, #3 ate a fruit salad on a train once, and #4 doesn’t attend church on a Sunday.

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Spot on.  If the electorate doesn't vote for an alternative after the bin fire of the last 12 years (+) then it is effectively choosing a permanent one party political system.  And it has nothing to do with Labour supposedly being hopeless or 'just the same',  etc.  It will be because of indoctrination.  It's already well ingrained into the political consciousness of most of the country.  

Just like Scotland?

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

You don’t vote for people because you think they are going to make things worse Ray. Never mind if it makes you happy watching someone like Truss become pm then who am I to comment. 

It's pushing us closer to independence and never having to suffer these corrupt snakes ever again. A year is nothing if that comes to fruition. Even if it doesn't, at the very least it should ensure they don't get re-elected as the UK Government at the next general election.

None of the candidates could do a worse job than BJ but only one would manage to look every bit as incompetent and continue to harm the Tories reputation on a daily basis. Step forward Liz Truss. 

56 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Just like Scotland?

Not really.  It's much easier to shift the representative profile of Holyrood under the more democratic voting system.  Even with a very large national vote share the SNP are still dependent on a deal with a minority party to edge a parliamentary working majority.  It only takes a small drop in support to make that current alliance redundant and necessitate another coalition or a minority administration.  

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Not really.  It's much easier to shift the representative profile of Holyrood under the more democratic voting system.  Even with a very large national vote share the SNP are still dependent on a deal with a minority party to edge a parliamentary working majority.  It only takes a small drop in support to make that current alliance redundant and necessitate another coalition or a minority administration.  

It would be interesting to know if Westminster had PR and what it would like now as a Parliament.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It would be interesting to know if Westminster had PR and what it would like now as a Parliament.

You might find THIS interesting - I did.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

It's pushing us closer to independence and never having to suffer these corrupt snakes ever again. A year is nothing if that comes to fruition. Even if it doesn't, at the very least it should ensure they don't get re-elected as the UK Government at the next general election.

None of the candidates could do a worse job than BJ but only one would manage to look every bit as incompetent and continue to harm the Tories reputation on a daily basis. Step forward Liz Truss. 

Its like laughing at your house burning down because you don’t like the wallpaper. Anyway I don’t think it’s pushing it closer, only the courts will decide that. Can’t see any UK government agreeing to a referendum any time soon. 

8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Depends on the level of PR as there are various models of it.  But something similar to Holyrood may well represent a notional profile of a hung parliament and a coalition of sorts.  Certainly not a 70 odd majority.

Edited by Victorian

Mordaunt banging on about bringing back the "UK theme tune" to the opening of Radio 4 every day.

:cornette:

Are there not perhaps better things to be concentrating on other than flag shagging culture wars shite????

19 minutes ago, Cade said:

Mordaunt banging on about bringing back the "UK theme tune" to the opening of Radio 4 every day.

Yakety Sax?

Japan Jambo
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

So like the Con/Lib pact under Cameron/Clegg that covers off the first 5 years of your 12 year statement then. Conservatives are actually only in their second term, granted it may feel longer. SNP are in their 4th consecutive stint (albeit now with some greens in their pocket).

5 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

So like the Con/Lib pact under Cameron/Clegg that covers off the first 5 years of your 12 year statement then. Conservatives are actually only in their second term, granted it may feel longer. SNP are in their 4th consecutive stint (albeit now with some greens in their pocket).

Hold on. How does a coalition not count for the Tories but it does count for the SNP?

9 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

The point is that it's much harder to shift the Tories out of majority and harder still to shift them on to the opposition benches under the conditions of the UK fptp model.  If it doesn't happen at the next election then it's difficult to envisage them ever being replaced.  The same cannot be said of Holyrood.  It wont take much of a change in the overall vote shares of constituency and secondary votes to change the make up of the parliament.  

Japan Jambo
48 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Hold on. How does a coalition not count for the Tories but it does count for the SNP?

Was effectively the point I was raising - counts for both or neither. 😁

manaliveits105
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Its like laughing at your house burning down because you don’t like the wallpaper. Anyway I don’t think it’s pushing it closer, only the courts will decide that. Can’t see any UK government agreeing to a referendum any time soon. 

Aye ah Ken :greggy:

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Boof said:

You might find THIS interesting - I did.

Thats a great find there, Boof.     Interesting outcomes, but not surprising actually.  The Holyrood system is so much more representative of the actual voting than FPTP  (winner takes it all !!). 

I can't remember the details, but the 2010 GE which produced a minority win for Cameron seemed like  a lost opportunity for the Lib/Dems to force through a proper form of PR in exchange for their support of some Conservative policies.   The eventual AV proposal was so  bizarre that it didn't stand much of a chance of being supported in the referendum - Cameron played a blinder for the Tories by telling Clegg its "this or nothing", and Clegg loved the idea of being deputy PM more than he love proper PR.      It was an example of the old proverb saying  - "power corrupts"

Lone Striker
On 19/07/2022 at 11:02, The Mighty Thor said:

Ferrari's programme this morning had yet another feature about Spaffer and how the Tories are foolish to be getting rid of him. Caller after caller saying how great Spaffer was and what a great job he was doing.

My deduction from it was that either people have a dangerous combination of gullibility and stupidity or England is in the midst of a real genuine mental health crisis. 

Its the former.

Remember  Tony Blair adamantly declaring in the HoC  that Saddam had WMD ready to launch in 45 minutes to hit the West  ?

You'd have thought that the lessons learned from the inquiries after the Iraq War  would have been enough to convince every voter never to assume that a PM always tells the truth based on hard fact.   

There's now't as queer as folk though.

:facepalm:

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Thats a great find there, Boof.     Interesting outcomes, but not surprising actually.  The Holyrood system is so much more representative of the actual voting than FPTP  (winner takes it all !!). 

I can't remember the details, but the 2010 GE which produced a minority win for Cameron seemed like  a lost opportunity for the Lib/Dems to force through a proper form of PR in exchange for their support of some Conservative policies.   The eventual AV proposal was so  bizarre that it didn't stand much of a chance of being supported in the referendum - Cameron played a blinder for the Tories by telling Clegg its "this or nothing", and Clegg loved the idea of being deputy PM more than he love proper PR.      It was an example of the old proverb saying  - "power corrupts"

Good summary . Yes Clegg went from hero “ I’m with Nick “ to a villain ( Student loans) in a short time when the power went yo head . Scumbag really . 

Kwarteng becomes the 3rd minister to refuse to show up to a Select Committee hearing.

The Tories are done with accountability.

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Kwarteng becomes the 3rd minister to refuse to show up to a Select Committee hearing.

The Tories are done with accountability.

A parliamentary system created and adhered to for generations.  And a bunch of imposters tearing down the fabric of the tried and trusted system.  

i wish jj was my dad
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Tbf, Scotland is to a lesser extent much the same (minus the open criminality)  . Effective opposition is critical to democracy. 

53 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A parliamentary system created and adhered to for generations.  And a bunch of imposters tearing down the fabric of the tried and trusted system.  

This is what happens when "tradition" and "convention" are not codified in Law.

Heidbangers can simply ignore them, as they're only suggestions.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

And if challenged on it,  twist the narrative that parliamentarians,  the metropolitan elite,  the deep state civil service,  the independently thinking media are the enemies of the will of the people.  They'll steal your Brexit.  They'll tax your estate upon death,  house,  garden,  garden shed,  dog,  lawnmower.  

Edited by Victorian

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Agreed - although based on recent evidence, the heidbangers would probably  chance their arm at ignoring written  Parliamentary/Constitutional Law too.  😉            

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Tory heaven - the guys that organised the MPs vote.

20220720_212143.jpg

Patel pouring the boys a brew. 

Good lass. Good to see she's found her vocation. 👍

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh is it? I thought it was Mrs Doyle.

I P Knightley
On 19/07/2022 at 20:35, Professor Frink said:

There'll be a General Election before the year's out if Truss gets the gig.

I've seen this written a few times now but don't follow the logic. 

She or Sunak would still command a majority of nearly 80 seats. Even if a large chunk of tory MPs don't support the new PM, they're not going to hurry along the next GE when many of those 80 know that they'll get the chop. 

What interests me is how the winner will line up a cabinet. I bet that Truss would stay fairly true to Johnson's crew; partly cos, like Johnson, she wouldn't want to surround herself with people who are more able than her.

Sunak has pissed of the Johnson Loyals so would be more likely to see off the dross like Mogg, Shapps, Dorries and Truss herself.

If that's how it would shape up, I'd much rather see Sunak take it. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That's not the fragrant Priti but the optics of an ethnic lady serving tea to gammon fokkers couldn't be much better! 

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

That's not the fragrant Priti but the optics of an ethnic lady serving tea to gammon fokkers couldn't be much better! 

It's amazing how they have completely lived up to their stereotype the past few weeks. 

What next, ferrying them around the hustings in rickshaws? 

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I know it's not the racist Home Secretary.

It was satire guv honest 😉

7 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've seen this written a few times now but don't follow the logic. 

She or Sunak would still command a majority of nearly 80 seats. Even if a large chunk of tory MPs don't support the new PM, they're not going to hurry along the next GE when many of those 80 know that they'll get the chop. 

What interests me is how the winner will line up a cabinet. I bet that Truss would stay fairly true to Johnson's crew; partly cos, like Johnson, she wouldn't want to surround herself with people who are more able than her.

Sunak has pissed of the Johnson Loyals so would be more likely to see off the dross like Mogg, Shapps, Dorries and Truss herself.

If that's how it would shape up, I'd much rather see Sunak take it. 

Completely agree, Rishi is the only chance of things changing within that government. Pity he didn’t know where part of the Northern powerhouse is. 

JudyJudyJudy
32 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Looks like she’s going to get the gig !

😂
The Tory faithful not voting for the dark skinned candidate, instead, in perfect irony, voting for the idiot.
Getting what they deserve. Arseholes.

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It's amazing how they have completely lived up to their stereotype the past few weeks. 

What next, ferrying them around the hustings in rickshaws? 

😃  Ssshhh... don't give them ideas !   Although it would be an amazing own goal if Sunak allowed himself to be seen lounging regally in a rickshaw..

Did you see the transcript of Truss's interview with Nick Robinson this morning ?   Short excerpt -

'I was wrong on Brexit'

• Truss said she got it wrong by voting Remain in the 2016 referendum, because "some of the portents of doom didn't happen"    😲
  • But she said she embraced the result and has fought to take advantage of the opportunities

'I wanted Boris to carry on as PM'

• Truss remained loyal to her current boss and said she wanted Boris Johnson to stay on as PM - but respected the decision of the parliamentary party to oust him
  • Asked if this allegiance brought her judgement into question, Truss said she judged that the positive side of Johnson's balance sheet "was very positive".   

Astonishing but typical of  a politician drunk on ambition and power.    So it seems the Brexit portents of doom which DID happen  are insignificant and can be ignored, and weshould rejoice however that she's taking full advantage of the "opportunities".   

DomCum  giving good commentary on Truss - he reckons BoJo sees a route back to leading the party when she implodes -

Dominic Cummings has mocked hardline Conservative Brexiteers for backing “truly useless Remainer” Liz Truss after she made into the final leadership run-off with Rishi Sunak.

The foreign secretary is now the bookies’ favourite to be Britain’s next prime minister after rival Penny Mordaunt was eliminated in the final round of voting by the party’s MPs.

The former No 10 strategist, who masterminded the Leave campaign, scoffed at the European Research Group (ERG) for getting behind Truss in her surge past Mordaunt.

“Totally on-brand for ERG to back a truly useless Remainer who did nothing in govt except gabble with hacks cos she’s reassuringly mad behind the eyes,” Cummings tweeted.

Boris Johnson’s ex-adviser turned nemisis also claimed the PM quietly supported Truss’ campaign because he “knows she’s mad and thinks she’ll blow and he can make a comeback”.

Cummings said his former boss’s immediate priority was stopping Sunak. But he added: “He knows Truss is mad as a box of snakes and is thinking, ‘There’s a chance she blows, there’s another contest and I can return’.”

Cummings said he had given the foreign secretary the nickname “human handgrenade” because she “caused chaos rather instead of getting things done”.

He also mocked Truss’ celebratory tweet after the final round of parliamentary results when she said: “I’m ready to hit the ground from day one.”

Cummings responded: “Sure would ‘hit the ground’ and she wouldn’t bounce much. Splat, for Tories and UK.”

The foreign secretary later deleted the tweet and replaced it with the message: “I’m ready to hit the ground running from day one.”

After leading the race to succeed from the start, Rishi Sunak held onto his first place with 137 MPs’ votes when the final round was announced on Wednesday afternoon.

But Ms Mordaunt, second in the four previous rounds of voting, was dramatically overtaken at the last minute by Ms Truss, who took 113 votes to the trade minister’s 105.

The group of 40 to 50 MPs in the ERG had been split on which Tory candidate to back. But many are believed to have gone to the foreign secretary after ardent Brexiteer Suella Braverman was defeated at an earlier round in the race.

Stoke MP Jonathan Gullis, who came out for Truss earlier on Wednesday, said he did so because “despite being a Remainer, she talks toughest on Brexit”.

The most recent ConservativeHome online survey of the Tory grassroots suggested that Truss would beat Sunak in a head-to-contest contest decided by members.

However, Sunak set out his pitch to members in a brief video clip claiming that he is “the only candidate” who can beat Keir Starmer and Labour at the next general election.

Meanwhile, the former chancellor’s allies have rejected the idea that his camp “lent” or reallocated votes other candidates.

There have been claims by Mordant’s allies that votes were lent to Truss because Sunak preferred the idea of facing her in the run-off.

“We’ve been trying to maximise the vote for Rishi Sunak,” Tory MP John Glen told the BBC. And Tory MP Gavin Williamson – asked by reporters if he had helped “lend” votes to others – said: “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

A source in the Sunak camp said accusations that his team had encouraged supporters to vote tactically to ensure a run-off with Ms Truss were “absolutely not true”.

“It’s a very strong lead over the second-placed candidate, Liz. I think we’re content with that. Everybody who wanted to see Rishi through voted for him, there was a significant rise in our vote compared with yesterday.