Even More SNP Nonsense

Stuart Lyon

Was not aware that Barclays got bailed out during the financial crisis, perhaps you could check this assertion? They certainly benefitted from a range of support measures put in place by the government over many years to support the whole banking sector. The last thing I am doing is rubbishing Scotland but the fact is that a Scottish Chancellor and Scottish Banks were at the heart of the financial crisis which affected us all.   

http://www.scotsman.com/news/bank-bailouts-transcend-all-borders-1-3169707

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• deesidejambo

• Pans Jambo

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arnold Rothstein

I think that's exactly what he did do. Here is the quote You may remember that Scottish Banks were at the forefront of the financial crisis as was a Scottish Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Perhaps you could explain the need to point out the scottishness of bank and person if it is not to denigrate them and to apportion blame to Scotland. Do you think that we do not know that scots were in government or that RBS and Lloyds needed a bailout?

Tony Blair was born and schooled in Edinburgh. Are Scots then to blame for the Iraq war? IDS was also born in ED. Do we have to accept the blame for benefits cuts to our most vulnerable. Maybe just once the British loyalists on here might understand that had we been independent we would have had no reason to manufacture false evidence for an illegal war, we would not have had the same priorities as the city of London and would not have had a banking crisis and we would be better at looking after our vulnerable people, not least because we would not have wasted our money bailing out banks and fighting aggressive wars.

That bit in bold does not suggest the banking crisis was as a result of the chancellor being Scottish it merely points out there was a Scottish connection to much of it.

Pointing out Scottish involvement is not an attempt to aportion blame it is merely done so to rubbish the notion from some nationalists that Scotland/Scots should be absolved of any responsibility whatsoever.

Space Mackerel

That bit in bold does not suggest the banking crisis was as a result of the chancellor being Scottish it merely points out there was a Scottish connection to much of it.

Pointing out Scottish involvement is not an attempt to aportion blame it is merely done so to rubbish the notion from some nationalists that Scotland/Scots should be absolved of any responsibility whatsoever.

What about the FSA at the time? They were meant to oversee the banks?

What about the BoE and its role?

There were banks lending up to 8 times peoples annual income when the bubble went pop.

Edited by Space Mackerel

Arnold Rothstein

What about the FSA at the time? They were meant to oversee the banks?

What about the BoE and its role?

There were banks lending up to 8 times peoples annual income when the bubble went pop.

Sorry, what's that go to do with my post? Where did I suggest that any of the above wasnt true?

Edited by Arnold Rothstein

Space Mackerel

Sorry, what's that go to do with my post?

Everything. Both organisations were meant to oversee the financial markets and keep them in check.

Arnold Rothstein

Everything. Both organisations were meant to oversee the financial markets and keep them in check.

I agree. I haven't said anywhere they weren't.

I think you must be smacked off your tits half the time.

Space Mackerel

I agree. I haven't said anywhere they weren't.

I think you must be smacked off your tits half the time.

Nope, tried a lot of things but never that.

Anyway, back on topic, who's fault was it, the dumb Scottish bankers or a collection of greedy, self interested capitalists the world over?

Arnold Rothstein

Nope, tried a lot of things but never that.

Anyway, back on topic, who's fault was it, the dumb Scottish bankers or a collection of greedy, self interested capitalists the world over?

That's quite rich coming from someone who openly boasts about how much money they have and how successful they are and uses it as a way of putting people down.

Edited by Arnold Rothstein

Space Mackerel

That's quite rich coming from someone who openly boasts about how much money they have and how successful they are and uses it as a way of putting people down.

I do alright in life financially, I don't really worry about money.

My response was to Dawnrazor and his silly comments about social demography D E types that only vote SNP which is clearly not the case.

Trapper John McIntyre

My response was to Dawnrazor and his silly comments about social demography D E types that only vote SNP which is clearly not the case.

You will if you get Indy.

Arnold Rothstein

There's a classy way of doing it though I'm sure you'll agree? Boasting about wealth is vulgar no matter what the circumstances.

Trapper John McIntyre

Another quality contribution from our resident Yoon Twatter friend. :-/

Quoting truth is always quality.

Space Mackerel

There's a classy way of doing it though I'm sure you'll agree? Boasting about wealth is vulgar no matter what the circumstances.

Maybe I should go and light a ?20 note in front of a homeless guy and share it on social media?

Would that be ok?

Trapper John McIntyre

Maybe I should go and light a ?20 note in front of a homeless guy and share it on social media?

Would that be ok?

Offer him a free burger.

Trapper John McIntyre

Truth? You're trying (and failing) to predict the future

That's what you spend your life on here doing.

And failing.

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

Space Mackerel

That's what you spend your life on here doing.

And failing.

Keeping you Yoonys educated and in check, as has been proved through this thread from the bottled water in WH Smith's :)

Trapper John McIntyre

Keeping you Yoonys educated and in check, as has been proved through this thread from the bottled water in WH Smith's :)

'Educated' and the word 'Yoonys' both in one sentence.

Arnold Rothstein

Would that be ok?

You live in a world of extremes. It's odd.

Why mention Scotland at all. The inference is clear as it always is. Scotland, it's institutions and it's people are not capable of doing anything properly. He said Scottish banks were at the forefront he didn't say RBS or Bof S were at the forefront he linked the failure with scottishness, not with those who were responsible. We are aware that Gordon Brown was born in Scotland but why is that significant?

I don't know of anybody who is trying to absolve scots/Scotland of responsibility for what Scots/Scotland is/are responsible for. I don't know where your notion comes from but I do know that one of the reasons for becoming independent is that we will no longer have to share the responsibility for such things as the Iraq war, the support for terrorists in Syria or the illegal bombing of civilian targets in Serbia.

Space Mackerel

You live in a world of extremes. It's odd.

Odd is having a character from Clockwork Orange as an avatar.

What was it, ultimate violence, if my memory serves me right?

Thunderstruck

Truth? You're trying (and failing) to predict the future

It would seem that the "Yoons" made a much better fist of predicting the future in the prospectus for maintaining the Union than the Gnat Minister responsible for putting together the White Paper. If only I could remember her name.

Arnold Rothstein

Why mention Scotland at all. The inference is clear as it always is. Scotland, it's institutions and it's people are not capable of doing anything properly. He said Scottish banks were at the forefront he didn't say RBS or Bof S were at the forefront he linked the failure with scottishness, not with those who were responsible. We are aware that Gordon Brown was born in Scotland but why is that significant?

I don't know of anybody who is trying to absolve scots/Scotland of responsibility for what Scots/Scotland is/are responsible for. I don't know where your notion comes from but I do know that one of the reasons for becoming independent is that we will no longer have to share the responsibility for such things as the Iraq war, the support for terrorists in Syria or the illegal bombing of civilian targets in Serbia.

You need to get over your "everyone is against us" position. No one is suggesting Scots are incapable of "doing anything properly" - your own paranoia is leading you to that conclusion. Edited by Arnold Rothstein

Arnold Rothstein

Odd is having a character from Clockwork Orange as an avatar.

What was it, ultimate violence, if my memory serves me right?

No idea, never seen it.

Space Mackerel

No idea, never seen it.

Bowler hats and ultimate violence yet you have an avatar and never heard of Clockwork Orange. That's weird.

3a28c8967edfc95f18ab496e17adcc09.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Arnold Rothstein

Bowler hats and ultimate violence yet you have an avatar and never heard of Clockwork Orange. That's weird.

3a28c8967edfc95f18ab496e17adcc09.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've obviously heard of it. Just don't really know what it's got to do with my avatar that's all. You're just adding to your odd post count.

Space Mackerel

I've obviously heard of it. Just don't really know what it's got to do with my avatar that's all. You're just adding to your odd post count.

You've got an avatar from a controversial film like Clockwork Orange but you've never seen it? :lol:

Arnold Rothstein

You've got an avatar from a controversial film like Clockwork Orange but you've never seen it? :lol:

The avatar isn't from A Clockwork Orange. Christ you're hard work.

Space Mackerel

Looks like it to me, that's my first thoughts.

So you a Yes yet given all the nonsense handed out by the Yoonys on here which has quickly been rebuked with bells on?

Arnold Rothstein

Looks like it to me, that's my first thoughts.

So you a Yes yet given all the nonsense handed out by the Yoonys on here which has quickly been rebuked with bells on?

If anyone thinks they know for sure that they'll be better or worse off, financially or otherwise after independence and voted as such they're kidding themselves.

It's not about that for me so I would still vote no.

AlphonseCapone

A very interesting character in real life and Boardwalk Empire though :thumbsup:

You need to get over your "everyone is against us" position. No one is suggesting Scots are incapable of "doing anything properly" - your own paranoia is leading you to that conclusion.

It's not my paranoia. it's what the words say and what they mean. What is the significance of telling us Scottish banks were at the forefront of the financial collapse, Why mention GB is Scottish. Why do you and your ilk define people by where they were born? You know how it works. The Italians are cowards, the Germans have no humour and the Spanish are lazy etc. All you and those like you are doing is trying to perpetuate the too wee, too poor, too stupid stereotype of Scotland.

Why did you put "everyone is against us" in quotation marks, not only did I not say it I did not imply it either. There seems to be some kind unwritten rule on here that Unionists are entitled to make things up and then when challenged about it claim that they did not actually say or mean what they posted.

I don't think people are against us - quite the contrary. I think people see indy supporters as progressive, internationalist and representing the future. A recent poll shows many EU countries would like Scotland to be  a member.   Unfortunately we still have a lot of people in our society hankering after the British Empire and an antiquated social order where everybody knew their place. These Alf Garnett types are dying out though. Independence is coming, and coming soon and you and your fellow Britishers will need to "get over" your inferiority complex.

They are trying to argue an irrelevant point about the Scottish vote when we voted as the UK. Why are they ignoring the ~40% in Scotland that voted leave?

38% Edited by aussieh

Space Mackerel

If anyone thinks they know for sure that they'll be better or worse off, financially or otherwise after independence and voted as such they're kidding themselves.

It's not about that for me so I would still vote no.

We will be be better of socially, financially then that's a gamble,taxes will probably go up a wee bit but I'm sure we won't starve though and still have good clean running water and housing.

At least we will have the powers to make economic policy up that is to the advantage of the 5 million people who live here and not the 15 million who live in and around the South East of England.

What's not to like about that?

Arnold Rothstein

It's not my paranoia. it's what the words say and what they mean. What is the significance of telling us Scottish banks were at the forefront of the financial collapse, Why mention GB is Scottish. Why do you and your ilk define people by where they were born? You know how it works. The Italians are cowards, the Germans have no humour and the Spanish are lazy etc. All you and those like you are doing is trying to perpetuate the too wee, too poor, too stupid stereotype of Scotland.

Why did you put "everyone is against us" in quotation marks, not only did I not say it I did not imply it either. There seems to be some kind unwritten rule on here that Unionists are entitled to make things up and then when challenged about it claim that they did not actually say or mean what they posted.

I don't think people are against us - quite the contrary. I think people see indy supporters as progressive, internationalist and representing the future. A recent poll shows many EU countries would like Scotland to be a member. Unfortunately we still have a lot of people in our society hankering after the British Empire and an antiquated social order where everybody knew their place. These Alf Garnett types are dying out though. Independence is coming, and coming soon and you and your fellow Britishers will need to "get over" your inferiority complex.

There's quite a lot of bollocks in this post to trawl through but suggesting someone who opposes independence defines people by where they were born is ironic in the extreme. Surely you can see that?

Arnold Rothstein

We will be be better of socially, financially then that's a gamble,taxes will probably go up a wee bit but I'm sure we won't starve though and still have good clean running water and housing.

At least we will have the powers to make economic policy up that is to the advantage of the 5 million people who live here and not the 15 million who live in and around the South East of England.

What's not to like about that?

Why do the five million people in Scotland matter to me any more than the 15 million in the south east?

Space Mackerel

Why do the five million people in Scotland matter to me any more than the 15 million in the south east?

Why come on a political thread when clearly you're amblivilent to everything then?

You'll work out what's going on as you get older.

Right, so Scotland votes yes(2014) they're out of the EU and England stays. England votes out of the EU, Scotland's out(2016 and counting) So going by the first one, why is it if Scotland votes yes in 2017 they are out of the EU. Is this all based on what England says goes. I don't think so.

If Scotland is a new state(Sovereign Parliament) so is England. Both Parliaments would restart and all GB treaties including EU membership annulled(2014).

It's got to be said, it's astonishing the mindset of some that brexit Britain is some sort of potential utopia and Scottish independence is the opening of hell itself. And they slagged the GLS about a land if milk and honey or something like that.

The SNP aren't doing anything wrong or wanting to hurt anyone, they just want Scotland to run herself by fully elected governments with full power.We've got nowhere in 300+ years of union and will be stuck here until we drive this train. Scotland has great people, land and resources. It's a pity some don't want to use them to their maximum potential.

If the second vote is lost, don't worry unionists, that will be that. It won't be asked again.

Edited by aussieh

Rubbish.

it is clearly shown in poll data repeatedly that, in general, the support for Indy is strong in DE groups but weak in ABC groups.    The data is clear and repeatable.

This is also supported by the fact that Dundee and Glasgow, which contain high percentages per capita of the groups, voted Yes.

This was played on by the SNP, who took their Tory Toff banners along with Brian Cox to those areas and played directly to the hatred of the English as a means to get support.

Cox explicitly stated that Indy will be won "In the Schemes".  His words, not mine.

Rubbish.

it is clearly shown in poll data repeatedly that, in general, the support for Indy is strong in DE groups but weak in ABC groups. The data is clear and repeatable.

This is also supported by the fact that Dundee and Glasgow, which contain high percentages per capita of the groups, voted Yes.

This was played on by the SNP, who took their Tory Toff banners along with Brian Cox to those areas and played directly to the hatred of the English as a means to get support.

Cox explicitly stated that Indy will be won "In the Schemes". His words, not mine.

You don't half talk pish.

Arnold Rothstein

Why come on a political thread when clearly you're amblivilent to everything then?

You'll work out what's going on as you get older.

So you can't answer my question?

Space Mackerel

So you can't answer my question?

Your question is your own ignorance to how the world and the UK works in the grand scheme of things.

Arnold Rothstein

Your question is your own ignorance to how the world and the UK works in the grand scheme of things.

How very vague. The people of the south east of England matter just as much to me as my next door neighbour.

Space Mackerel

How very vague. The people of the south east of England matter just as much to me as my next door neighbour.

Sounds like your a humanist then. Good on you.

Rubbish.

it is clearly shown in poll data repeatedly that, in general, the support for Indy is strong in DE groups but weak in ABC groups.    The data is clear and repeatable.

Cox explicitly stated that Indy will be won "In the Schemes".  His words, not mine.

Excellent analysis. Not only did the SNP feed the SCOTTISH angle but Salmond in particular fed the ant-English we hate the Tories angle.