New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

1 hour ago, Gav03830 said:

It was me that posted the aerial photo with Jim's permission. I managed to get one earlier in the year, but it was from further away as air traffic control were too busy to let me route via city centre.  Weather permitting I will get over Tynecastle for  a few updated shots as soon as the work is completed, and I'll post on here as well.  Meanwhile, here's a shot taken last year of the old Tynecastle with our  reserve ground for comparison. This was taken on a hazy evening with a compact so not the best quality. 

G

P1020080.JPG

Thanks for your post. A completed shot would be amazing, although the one you posted up a couple of days ago was superb.

1 hour ago, Gav03830 said:

It was me that posted the aerial photo with Jim's permission. I managed to get one earlier in the year, but it was from further away as air traffic control were too busy to let me route via city centre.  Weather permitting I will get over Tynecastle for  a few updated shots as soon as the work is completed, and I'll post on here as well.  Meanwhile, here's a shot taken last year of the old Tynecastle with our  reserve ground for comparison. This was taken on a hazy evening with a compact so not the best quality. 

G

P1020080.JPG

That picture is amazing, thanks.

9 hours ago, obua said:

Your quite the expert what field of building are you in,you forgot to mention hundreds of sheets of fire board on 3 levels(re this pic)not to mention toilets,kiosks,all signage just for starters.

E7916801-F97E-49D4-BF1E-98DAA4F88714.jpeg

So reading between the lines of Obua’s reply here, I take it those actually working on the project don’t believe it will be ready on time. If those on site aren’t confident, I will put myself firmly in the ‘pessimist’ category unfortunately 

15 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I’m still, in the optimists camp.

having to come down to London for a scan on the 3rd November - just checking;g now what trains will get me up for the first game at New Improved Tynecastle on the 5th...

I'm flying as first train out takes 5hrs 34 and gets in to waverley at 14.20. Might be worth an overnight stay.

47 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

No not just you, it does look like we will have the bit behind the dugout and the away team wont.

sorry to go on so we will have the dugout to the right thoght we changed to the left so we could harrass that side linesman

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Leisham38 said:

So reading between the lines of Obua’s reply here, I take it those actually working on the project don’t believe it will be ready on time. If those on site aren’t confident, I will put myself firmly in the ‘pessimist’ category unfortunately 

I read it as not being over confident. Everyone who has worked on a building project will know that things can go wrong. Whether they delay beyond the projected completition date depends on whether the things that go wrong can be fixed in time . 

Sometime the things that that go wrong can just be embarrassments. A project I was involved in, we had the mayor and other signatories there to open the building. There was an electronic barrier and the public were waiting for it to come down before they could access the new building. We tested the electronic barrier about 20times.The speeches were made, the barrier button was pressed - nothing. The signatories all looked over at the project staff - that sinking feeling. The barrier gate wasn’t opened (manually) after about 5 minutes and the only real damage was reputational.

so my guess is there will be a few more hitches for people to have a moan about and slag off whoever they don’t like. But I still think we’ll get it finished for the 5th (my guess , not any inside knowledge)

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Dalstonjambo said:

I'm flying as first train out takes 5hrs 34 and gets in to waverley at 14.20. Might be worth an overnight stay.

I will I’ll probably come up on the 4th, stay in Edinburgh with my stepfather in Craigleith and walk along the Roseburn path.

16 hours ago, obua said:

Gorgie / Main needs to be ready it’s an exit,Roseburn/ Main join up was cancelled ages ago.concrete going on at Gorgie now.

78A33840-2BC2-4459-9799-DB5760AAF051.jpeg

Sorry, I meant Gorgie/Main concourse and the end of the stand at the Roseburn end, rather than the join-up, as I now know that's been cancelled. Surely if the seats are in and there's access, we can go to the game without there being the cladding etc at the end of the Main stand? That could be finished between the Killie & Partick games? We went to games last season on a building site!

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

What's the plans for the area next to the plaza nearest to Gorgie Stand? Is it for parking?

I'm sure I heard someone say there would be a space for the away team coach parking (or at least a place for it to stop when the team arrives/leaves), but I think the rest of t is a community space with steps designed to be sat on.

4 minutes ago, BigC said:

I'm sure I heard someone say there would be a space for the away team coach parking (or at least a place for it to stop when the team arrives/leaves), but I think the rest of t is a community space with steps designed to be sat on.

I think they park the team bus in the old school? 

10 minutes ago, BigC said:

I wonder if it'll be a car park area maybe during the week?

After a 20 year wait, although frustrating, we can only cross bridges when we reach them. Its always important to have contingency plans but i'm still optimistic (by birth!) that we will be rocking the stand on the 5th. The guys are working on a huge project and whats been done in 12 months is immense, hats off.

2 hours ago, Leisham38 said:

What I don’t understand is;

if it was only the lack of seats that prevented the stand being opened at the beginning of September why are there so many other things (eg cladding, toilets, signage) not yet completed in the middle of October?

And suggestions that all might not be completed by the beginning of November?

Dougie Masterton
13 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

I wonder if it'll be a car park area maybe during the week?

The Plaza cant take traffic due to the water gathering system underneath.

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

if it was only the lack of seats that prevented the stand being opened at the beginning of September why are there so many other things (eg cladding, toilets, signage) not yet completed in the middle of October?

That's a fair observation. 

I think it was 3rd August when Ann announced the eight week delay from the 9th September opening.  We are now just three and a half weeks away from the revised opening date so, should there be a further revision, you would hope that it would be no more than a week or two at most.

Edited by Footballfirst

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

The default response to this is that the previous plan (with an opening date of September) essentially went out the window when the delays were announced and the revised date of 5th November was announced.

The plan and order of work was reprioritised at that stage, although looking between the lines - I think its pretty clear to most that, seats or no seats, we were never making the September deadline.

But yeah, that's the answer - we're in a different position now thanks to a different plan.

If the re-planning means that we're still going to miss the date even with a 2 month extension though, that will be pretty poor in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Erik said:

The default response to this is that the previous plan (with an opening date of September) essentially went out the window when the delays were announced and the revised date of 5th November was announced.

The plan and order of work was reprioritised at that stage, although looking between the lines - I think its pretty clear to most that, seats or no seats, we were never making the September deadline.

My understanding is that the September date would have been for basically just the stand shell being (mostly) completed and the seats in. Entry and egress would have been safe but through a 'building site' the toilets would probably have been portaloos outside and maybe a burger van or two. 

The revised opening will be of a completed stand shell and all seats plus I'd expect to have at least some functioning toilets and maybe some food kiosks in operation and the plaza/piazza is all but complete. And possibly even some functionality of things like the lifts or escalator. 

But as long as it's reasonably wind and watertight then I'll be happy to take my seat in the new stand, whether a hard hat is required or not.  :builder2:

This pic probably won't show up too great but the gents toilet in Fraser's (5th floor) gives a nice view of Shandwick place and beyond including a partial sight of the  new stand. Worth a visit if youre caught short at the West End! ?

IMG_0523.JPG

2 minutes ago, Erik said:

If the re-planning means that we're still going to miss the date even with a 2 month extension though, that will be pretty poor in my opinion.

I have been trying to stay very positive, but I'm starting to lose my patience a tad.

Perhaps it's just me, but whenever I have taken a wander by there never seems to be any sense of urgency, and the numbers of staff on the jobs haven't exactly been huge.

It's very possible that my perception is completely wrong or there are supply/technical reasons for these issues, but would love to know (seat issue aside) why things aren't moving as quickly as first envisaged.    

However, if the  5th of November date is met I'll be absolutely delighted and apologise for the premature pant wetting.

9 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

I have been trying to stay very positive, but I'm starting to lose my patience a tad.

Perhaps it's just me, but whenever I have taken a wander by there never seems to be any sense of urgency, and the numbers of staff on the jobs haven't exactly been huge.

It's very possible that my perception is completely wrong or there are supply/technical reasons for these issues, but would love to know (seat issue aside) why things aren't moving as quickly as first envisaged.    

However, if the  5th of November date is met I'll be absolutely delighted and apologise for the premature pant wetting.

It isn't pant wetting to have legitimate concerns. Right now we've missed a deadline and are over budget, and most seem ok with that, but missing the extended deadline would start to make me think the projects been poorly managed

2 minutes ago, ManMoth said:

It isn't pant wetting to have legitimate concerns. Right now we've missed a deadline and are over budget, and most seem ok with that, but missing the extended deadline would start to make me think the projects been poorly managed

And your solution to all of the above is what exactly ?

1 hour ago, Dougie Masterton said:

The Plaza cant take traffic due to the water gathering system underneath.

Is the area to the left (when facing it), above the curved steps, nearest to the wall mural considered part of the plaza?

Plenty time IMO.

There will be a programme in place, so let's chill. 

JKB shouting "THE SEATS AREN'T IN ARRRRGGGGHHHHH AND THERE ARE 4 WEEKS TILL SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SIT ON THEM"

Isn't how the plan will have been drawn up.

Lucille's Thirsty
13 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Ours is looking absolutely fantastic. Those webbed feet welts can keep their subbuteo Lego breeze block shitehole. We have done wonders and it’s a testament to what our support has done. I love this club

Fozzy,

It's not often I agree with you but superbly put, I firmly believe those inbred mutants want their own fans to be like ours.

Never gonna happen.

20 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Christ alot of work to be done.

Might it not have been better to have the stairs closest to the police box running down the side of the stand wall (instead of about six seats from the end) so that there were no seats jammed in directly behind girders? The view from those seats, when coupled with the obstruction caused by the police box, are going to have an exceptionally restricted view. Presumably these will have to be sold at a significantly reduced price? Also, could the girders not have sat on the other side of the wall to at least improve the view from those seats slightly? Or are they sited inside the stand to protect them from weather/corrosion?

6 minutes ago, Mellor said:

Might it not have been better to have the stairs closest to the police box running down the side of the stand wall (instead of about six seats from the end) so that there were no seats jammed in directly behind girders? The view from those seats, when coupled with the obstruction caused by the police box, are going to have an exceptionally restricted view. Presumably these will have to be sold at a significantly reduced price? Also, could the girders not have sat on the other side of the wall to at least improve the view from those seats slightly? Or are they sited inside the stand to protect them from weather/corrosion?

Some points in reply;

There is a maximum number of seats allowed in a row (28) as mentioned earlier in the thread (yesterday) 

The police/control box/room is going to be removed. 

The 'girders'/columns/pillars are slimmer at the bottom to reduce their impact on sightlines. 

The Future's Maroon
51 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

lunchtime today - pavement repairs underway 

IMG_0082.JPG

Plenty bodies on site, good to see.

I might be wrong but I think you can also see the brackets for the "Tynecastle Park" sign above where the badge will be.....possibly been there for weeks, but first time I have noticed them.

Off topic slightly, how many tears, snotters, warnings and bans would we have had if JKB had been around (or as popular as it might have been about, not sure) when we built the other stands!!

6 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Can’t help think Edinburgh missed an opportunity to do something with this full footprint.

29D1145A-7661-4E56-84B2-42250CBFD6B0.jpeg

Correct

For example we're about the only capital city in the western world that lacks a decent capacity indoor arena. That's a shocking state of affairs in its own right. We could easily have piggy backed on a new arena/ stadium in conjunction with the council and got ourselves a new stadium on the same site as we've always been. Nut though. They spent all the money on a tram that has one line from the city to the airport.

9 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Can’t help think Edinburgh missed an opportunity to do something with this full footprint.

Old school was bought by the distillery

That image doesn't show the new school

But I agree, in an ideal world, we could acquire the distillery land (should they move more facilities out of a tight city centre plot) and do a complete rebuild further away from the Gorgie road flats

The Future's Maroon
9 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I sort of get what you mean, but that footprint has our stadium almost completed, a brand new fit for purpose high school and land bought by the distillery (old school).

What else could have been there.....dare I say it....flats/Tesco? (That's in jest, not a dig at the poster).

I for one am very happy with what is in that footprint today, compared to the photo from a couple of years ago.

30 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

What about the school ? it was required and takes up the right hand side so the only real argument is the distillery land of the old high school.

52 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Some points in reply;

There is a maximum number of seats allowed in a row (28) as mentioned earlier in the thread (yesterday) 

The police/control box/room is going to be removed. 

The 'girders'/columns/pillars are slimmer at the bottom to reduce their impact on sightlines. 

Thanks. Yes, I assumed there must be some regulation around the number of seats in a row but just wondered why the layout couldn't have been designed to put a stairway down the side of the stand instead of having a number of restricted view seats.  I can see that the girders have been narrowed lower down, but even at their narrowest point they appear to be at least the width of a seat. 

Just when you look at the size of the space, the dead space of the old school, the money spent on the high school and the works to Tynecastle.  A stadium, hotel, High School, indoor facilities, nursery, doctors, dentist ... the full works.

Too late now :)

Footballfirst

The lower sections in the latest picture look pretty wet, so it suggests anyone with a seat there better be prepared for all weathers including decent waterproofs.

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The lower sections in the latest picture look pretty wet, so it suggests anyone with a seat there better be prepared for all weathers including decent waterproofs.

I was just about to post the very same. I’m in lower Wheatfield and very rarely get wet but lower main stand you’ll get soaked ?

4 minutes ago, Drewboy said:

I was just about to post the very same. I’m in lower Wheatfield and very rarely get wet but lower main stand you’ll get soaked ?

Depends which way the wind is blowing when it rains.

PhoenixHearts
26 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Aye exactly. Not too long ago at the East Fife game, mass exodus from bottom of the Gorgie. Even people halfway up were getting a few drops on their knees.

38 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Obviously it does but after 7 years in the front of the Wheatfield I could count on one hand how many times I’ve got wet

25 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Aye exactly. Not too long ago at the East Fife game, mass exodus from bottom of the Gorgie. Even people halfway up were getting a few drops on their knees.

Absolutely soaked in the Wheatfield that day, I was row 10

Could've pished myself and no one would've noticed!