Brexit?

aussieh

Slur? Truth, EFF off to Britain, and leave Scotland to the Scots.

Civic, caring progressive Scotland.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone seen Mother Theresa recently? She seems to be in hiding since she called an unnecessary election.

And the SNP dont?

Of course they do, "without people you're nothing". But that wasn't the point was it? A currency is an asset by any definition. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Of course they do, "without people you're nothing". But that wasn't the point was it? A currency is an asset by any definition.

Currency only has value in being a representation of economic output. The Zimbabwean dollar has a value but do you want to own it?

• 3 weeks later...
Jambo-Jimbo

UK gives in to EU demands to settle the divorce bill before any other talks are started

gggg-640x480.jpg

Just not giving the EU the satisfaction of accusing the UK of being awkward and difficult.   :smile:

we wanted out (why!!!!) so if I was the eu I would simply wave bye and close all markets to us.

Mark Carney (Governor of the Bank of England) has more or less said the Brexit is going to be an economic disaster, but that the BoE can do nothing about it other than try to mitigate the impact.

His speech today was absolutely savage.

Seymour M Hersh

Mark Carney (Governor of the Bank of England) has more or less said the Brexit is going to be an economic disaster, but that the BoE can do nothing about it other than try to mitigate the impact.

His speech today was absolutely savage.

Should have been sacked for his behaviour in the run up to the referendum. Another EU lover/elitist who cannot/will not accept the result and is doing everything he can to obstruct Brexit.

Should have been sacked for his behaviour in the run up to the referendum. Another EU lover/elitist who cannot/will not accept the result and is doing everything he can to obstruct Brexit.

:gok:

Defiance in the face of facts. Love it.

Francis Albert

Economists' forecasts are not facts, even if the economist is the Governor of the Bank of England. In fact on recent form, especially if he is.

Francis Albert

we wanted out (why!!!!) so if I was the eu I would simply wave bye and close all markets to us.

and breach their international obligations under WTO rules?

Seymour M Hersh

Well all the "facts" he predicted (see what I did there, probably not) failed to come to pass. 

Francis Albert

Well all the "facts" he predicted (see what I did there, probably not) failed to come to pass. 

Indeed. And it is interesting that he covers himself from being wrong again by taking credit for mitigating the disaster if, or when,  it doesn't materialise.

Jambo-Jimbo

Indeed the sun is still shining in the sky, the earth is still revolving and WW3 hasn't broken out (yet), oh and the predicted recession hasn't materialised either.

Economists have about as good a record of getting things right as 'The End of the World' prophets have, and we all know how accurate that lot have been.

The Mighty Thor

Indeed the sun is still shining in the sky, the earth is still revolving and WW3 hasn't broken out (yet), oh and the predicted recession hasn't materialised either.

Economists have about as good a record of getting things right as 'The End of the World' prophets have, and we all know how accurate that lot have been.

Brexit hasn't materialised yet either.

In the current 'make it up as we go along' vain of the Tory party who knows what Brexit will look like. They certain don't.

It's way too early to be making predictions either way as there appears to be a lag of 18-24 months by the time decisions made filter through to the real economy.

The economic indicators aren't great and many economists do think we are headed for another slowdown.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Jambo-Jimbo

Brexit hasn't materialised yet either.

In the current 'make it up as we go along' vain of the Tory party who knows what Brexit will look like. They certain don't.

It's way too early to be making predictions either way as there appears to be a lag of 18-24 months by the time decisions made filter through to the real economy.

The economic indicators aren't great and many economists do think we are headed for another slowdown.

I think the slow down has already started.

Agreed I think it was sheer stupidity for people from both sides to start making doom and gloom or everything is going to be wonderful predictions.

No matter what the final deal is, there will be an impact on the UK's economy, what that impact will be even Nostradamus wouldn't be able to tell, far less economists.

If you think about it, it will obviously be to the detriment in the short term as you are ripping up your current business and economic model.

The short term could become medium term depending on the settlement, regards trading arrangements not only with the eu, but with the rest of the world.

In the long term, it could possibly be a success, but that success may be relative to the fallow intervening period and not in relation to where we were pre brexit.

I could of course be completely wrong, but my view is that it's going to get worse before it gets bearable. Getting better is not in my lifetime.

If you think about it, it will obviously be to the detriment in the short term as you are ripping up your current business and economic model.

The short term could become medium term depending on the settlement, regards trading arrangements not only with the eu, but with the rest of the world.

In the long term, it could possibly be a success, but that success may be relative to the fallow intervening period and not in relation to where we were pre brexit.

I could of course be completely wrong, but my view is that it's going to get worse before it gets bearable. Getting better is not in my lifetime.

In a nut shell. 

We want access to the single market on "our " terms ? Not gonna happen. If you saw Boris getting torn to pieces on C4 news tonight you can see it's bullshit. 

Reasonable commentators now saying we will not effectively leave the EU. Bank of England currently worried about the inflationary pressures that are are brought about by Brexit and are absolutely not being spoken about in any shape or form down here. In England people are being asked right now if they can sustain a mortgage on 11% interest rates. 

And that's before we talk about UK immigrants in the EU - which we  refer to as "ex pats". 

In a nut shell. 

We want access to the single market on "our " terms ? Not gonna happen. If you saw Boris getting torn to pieces on C4 news tonight you can see it's bullshit. 

Reasonable commentators now saying we will not effectively leave the EU. Bank of England currently worried about the inflationary pressures that are are brought about by Brexit and are absolutely not being spoken about in any shape or form down here. In England people are being asked right now if they can sustain a mortgage on 11% interest rates. 

And that's before we talk about UK immigrants in the EU - which we  refer to as "ex pats". 

I know that this doesn't add to the conversation, but my first mortgage was at 11.25%.

Francis Albert

In a nut shell. 

I have no faith in the negotiating ability of the buffoon Boris or the floundering Teresa but of course they will say we want access "on our terms" just as the EU wants any UK access to be on their terms (and whatever they say will want access to the UK market on their terms given the generally much weaker state of EU countries' economies) . Its a negotiation which hasn't even begun - what do you expect people on either side to say at this stage?

However I think you are right and especially given who will be negotiating for us (politicians and civil servants the majority of whom oppose Leaving)  we will probably end up with a soft Brexit - in other words Remaining but without representation, something no-one voted for. I wonder if the "Resistance" to Leave will then still want a rerun of the referendum - Accept or Reject  -Remain or actually Leave) on the basis of the agreed terms? I suspect not ... and they would probably still reject the outcome if it gave the wrong answer.

Maroon Sailor

Can someone explain to me why some people who favour Scottish Independence raise concerns about the UK leaving the EU but not Scotland leaving the UK ?

The euro will implode .

We will be glad we left.

Right now we have a hung parliament which should hold back the rabid tories.

Just cannot get my head around your faith in the totally corrupt EU.

Apply Tony Benns 5 questions to this monster .

The Mighty Thor

I have no faith in the negotiating ability of the buffoon Boris or the floundering Teresa but of course they will say we want access "on our terms" just as the EU wants any UK access to be on their terms (and whatever they say will want access to the UK market on their terms given the generally much weaker state of EU countries' economies) . Its a negotiation which hasn't even begun - what do you expect people on either side to say at this stage?

However I think you are right and especially given who will be negotiating for us (politicians and civil servants the majority of whom oppose Leaving) we will probably end up with a soft Brexit - in other words Remaining but without representation, something no-one voted for. I wonder if the "Resistance" to Leave will then still want a rerun of the referendum - Accept or Reject -Remain or actually Leave) on the basis of the agreed terms? I suspect not ... and they would probably still reject the outcome if it gave the wrong answer.

Ah Boris, the man who lit the fire then ran away.

You'll see his true colours very shortly as the wounded May politically bleeds to death before our eyes.

He's a shitehouse in a cabal of shitehouses.

The euro will implode .

We will be glad we left.

Right now we have a hung parliament which should hold back the rabid tories.

Just cannot get my head around your faith in the totally corrupt EU.

Apply Tony Benns 5 questions to this monster .

Oh, it's not faith in the EU as it is Jake!

I'd rather see it revert back to an economic community and the political "harmonisation" can do one.

Equally this country (UK/Scotland - take your pick) needs to trade with that block.  There has to be a compromise.

doctor jambo

I think once you get your head around the fact its all BS then we can all relax.

Our currency falls for no reason and rises for no reason as markets are manipulated

Shares fell when Prince Philip took ill, and the pound rose when he got better

That is how pathetic the whole thing really is

Maroon Sailor

Can someone explain to me why some people who favour Scottish Independence raise concerns about the UK leaving the EU but not Scotland leaving the UK ?

No surprise the cut and paste crew can't / fail to answer this

jack D and coke

I voted Yes to get that out the way straight off the bat but this is a question I've asked the more rabid Indy voters myself as I voted Leave the EU.

Also when they make jokes about the implications of the brexit on the economy the irony seems to escape them about an Indy Scotland going through a lot of the same hoops. The biggest one though is the ones who seem to be enjoying the statements of doom about brexit but call scare tactics on anyone who says anything remotely similar about Scotland going it alone.

The concern regarding UK leaving the EU is not so much the EU itself, but the single market.

If Scotoand left the UK and remained in the EU we would have access to this market.

We could also be out of UK and EU but access that market via EFTA.

Oh, but we do most of our trade with rUK...uhu, and?  I think we would still trade with them.  They also trade with us and so some british Isles trade area may be a way forward?

Mosst of all, although similar in some ways, Scotland leaving the UK is completely different from UK leaving the EU.

Maroon Sailor

So if the UK stay in the single market Boris all your concerns will be allayed ?

So if the UK stay in the single market Boris all your concerns will be allayed ?

Regards Brexit? Yes, pretty much. Although begs the question of why leave, but there you go.

My preference was to remain but to reform and improve the eu.

Maroon Sailor

My preference was to remain but to reform and improve the eu.

I'm sure Merkel will do that

"5 years" resident is pretty shit if I've picked that up right

Might understand the date of the vote

Jambo-Jimbo

"5 years" resident is pretty shit if I've picked that up right

Might understand the date of the vote

There was always going to have to be a qualifying period and a cut off date, simply because if you didn't have one and say it was every EU citizen in the UK at the date of us leaving could then stay and enjoy everything free in the UK which we currently do, well just imagine the millions who potentially could then flood into the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40376083

Of course the EU has to reciprocate the offer for UK citizens living in EU countries as well now.

doctor jambo

Mine will be

stay in the single market, free movement of labour is a price worth paying ( treaty of rome DOES NOT STATE free movement of people)

We can trade with the rest of the world

The negotiations could therefore be really brief

Pound would rise as London would relax and we could all go on holiday again

Jambo-Jimbo

Mine will be

stay in the single market, free movement of labour is a price worth paying ( treaty of rome DOES NOT STATE free movement of people)

We can trade with the rest of the world

The negotiations could therefore be really brief

Pound would rise as London would relax and we could all go on holiday again

And why would we have stopped going on holiday?

If it's because of the value of the pound, then unless your changing thousands or hundreds of thousands of pounds into foreign currency then it's not a big deal IMO, not for holiday spending money, as it might cost you an extra ?20-?50 if that.

The Euro rate is currently sitting at ?1.14 to the ?, I can remember going to Rome in 2014 and the rate was ?1.12.

doctor jambo

And why would we have stopped going on holiday?

If it's because of the value of the pound, then unless your changing thousands or hundreds of thousands of pounds into foreign currency then it's not a big deal IMO, not for holiday spending money, as it might cost you an extra ?20-?50 if that.

The Euro rate is currently sitting at ?1.14 to the ?, I can remember going to Rome in 2014 and the rate was ?1.12.

I remember going to the US and getting $1.8

I can also remember 1 euro 50

a 10% swing is not insignificant

Jambo-Jimbo

I remember going to the US and getting $1.8

I can also remember 1 euro 50

a 10% swing is not insignificant

And I can remember ?1.06 to the pound, in fact it might even have been as low as ?1.05 as I remember talk about parity between the ? and ? and that was long long long before any talk about 'Brexit' indeed it may have been around the 2008-2009 era, but I could be wrong on the years.

The point is, currencies rise and fall all the time and whilst it might cost you a little bit more when changing your holiday spending money where the difference might be ?20-50 extra, it only really has an impact if your changing hundreds of thousands of pounds or millions of pounds, then it becomes an issue, but not for changing ?500-?1000 holiday money, in my personal opinion.

And I can remember ?1.06 to the pound, in fact it might even have been as low as ?1.05 as I remember talk about parity between the ? and ? and that was long long long before any talk about 'Brexit' indeed it may have been around the 2008-2009 era, but I could be wrong on the years.

The point is, currencies rise and fall all the time and whilst it might cost you a little bit more when changing your holiday spending money where the difference might be ?20-50 extra, it only really has an impact if your changing hundreds of thousands of pounds or millions of pounds, then it becomes an issue, but not for changing ?500-?1000 holiday money, in my personal opinion.

Yeah, but wages aren't keeping up with inflation in dear old Blighty, a favourable exchange rate might just make that overseas trip more affordable.

The UK economy isn't in the rudest of health, thanks in no small part to Brexit.  IMO.

Jambo-Jimbo

Yeah, but wages aren't keeping up with inflation in dear old Blighty, a favourable exchange rate might just make that overseas trip more affordable.

The UK economy isn't in the rudest of health, thanks in no small part to Brexit.  IMO.

Economies, Inflation, Oil Price, Wages they all ebb and flow, they all rise and fall just like the currency does.

For every loser someone else wins with each ebb and flow, rise and fall, I've seen so many fluctuations over the years, inflation in the high teens, even 20 odd % inflation, recessions I've lived through more than a couple, mass unemployment, 3 day week, national power cuts etc etc etc.

That's why I don't worry or get concerned by any of this, I've seen it all before, this and much much worse.

You mention wages not keeping up with inflation, well they didn't keep up with inflation when inflation was between 18-24% either, so there is nothing new there.

AlphonseCapone

Tbh it's a useless question that's been debated a million times over and not some sort of earth ending argument against independence you seem to think it is.

They simply aren't the same thing and the premise is based on the idea that the world is a simple dichotomy, which it isn't.

Maroon Sailor

Tbh it's a useless question that's been debated a million times over and not some sort of earth ending argument against independence you seem to think it is.

They simply aren't the same thing and the premise is based on the idea that the world is a simple dichotomy, which it isn't.

A couple of well respected posters gave good answers - so not that useless.

If you want to use the word useless you can always apply it to the cut and paste crew.

Sorry for not reading every single post in every single thread to see what has been debated a million times. I must do due diligence in future.

AlphonseCapone

A couple of well respected posters gave good answers - so not that useless.

If you want to use the word useless you can always apply it to the cut and paste crew.

Sorry for not reading every single post in every single thread to see what has been debated a million times. I must do due diligence in future.

I've seen you on a few political threads so I'd be amazed if you've never came across it.

P.s. who are the cut and paste crew?

Maroon Sailor

I've seen you on a few political threads so I'd be amazed if you've never came across it.

Scroll through the political threads and you'll soon work out who they are

I mean why give your own take on things when you can copy somebody's else's by a quick google search seeking what you want to read and believe.

doctor jambo

More to the point who is well respected?

Maroon Sailor

More to the point who is well respected?

You can write them on the back of a postage stamp if that helps

Archived