Brexit?

aussieh

Geoff Kilpatrick

Quite, but I am sure it has been discussed by the 27 countries before now. With Article 50 process underway we might get the actual views on Scotland being in the EU rather than just soundbites.

The whole thing is very frustrating as I have always wanted to be out of the Union and in the EU, now I am faced with being in the Union and out of the EU, so for those posting the hilarious pictures of people clutching straws, is any ******* wonder!!

Why do you want to be in the EU? Do you want to be part of the Eurozone? Do you want to be part of a federal Europe?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Murray

Quite, but I am sure it has been discussed by the 27 countries before now. With Article 50 process underway we might get the actual views on Scotland being in the EU rather than just soundbites.

The whole thing is very frustrating as I have always wanted to be out of the Union and in the EU, now I am faced with being in the Union and out of the EU, so for those posting the hilarious pictures of people clutching straws, is any ******* wonder!!

Indeed, I find the name calling and memes pretty unhelpful, nothing wrong with a bit lighthearted fun, but not when it gets personal toward each other, or indeed the politicians involved.

There are many like yourself, who also feel very frustrated, we will also have those that 

1) Want to remain in the UK and in the EU

2) Want out the UK and out the EU

All probably as equally frustrated as you. The happy ones just now will be the ones who want in the UK and out of the EU, although they'll be frustrated that that is now, once again, under threat.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Happy to be part of the Eurozone, not many will hold this view.

I'd be happy with a proper federal UK, so have no issue with a federal EU, as long as we all have the same rights and power, I would not be happy if the largest partner dictated everything.

I think a world without borders is an ideal we should be working towards not against.

That's fine, as long as you accept German economic policy.

Indeed, I find the name calling and memes pretty unhelpful, nothing wrong with a bit lighthearted fun, but not when it gets personal toward each other, or indeed the politicians involved.

There are many like yourself, who also feel very frustrated, we will also have those that 

1) Want to remain in the UK and in the EU

2) Want out the UK and out the EU

All probably as equally frustrated as you. The happy ones just now will be the ones who want in the UK and out of the EU, although they'll be frustrated that that is now, once again, under threat.

So in other words, a general sense of 

Frustration%20Game%2070s.JPG.opt275x257o

Wouldn't disagree with that!

Adam Murray

So in other words, a general sense of 

Frustration%20Game%2070s.JPG.opt275x257o

Wouldn't disagree with that!

Great game back in the day.

Won't see many kids playing that nowadays, or any other board games for that matter (for board, read bored!)

Jambo-Jimbo

I'm no economist, but they don't look to be doing to bad from over here.

It frustrates me that so much of politics is about the economic rather than the social benefits.

That is because the entire EU & Eurozone in particular is set up and engineered to favour the German economy over everybody else and that includes the UK's.

Germany sells way more to the rest of the EU than it buys from all the other 27 countries combined, the UK for example has a trade deficit of some ?30bn per year with Germany.

No wonder they look to be doing not to bad.

Great game back in the day.

Won't see many kids playing that nowadays, or any other board games for that matter (for board, read bored!)

We get the lad a board game at Xmas usually.  Gets played once or twice, then sits on the shelf until the following Xmas hols when playing board games seems like a Xmas activity.

That is because the entire EU & Eurozone in particular is set up and engineered to favour the German economy over everybody else and that includes the UK's.

Germany sells way more to the rest of the EU than it buys from all the other 27 countries combined, the UK for example has a trade deficit of some ?30bn per year with Germany.

Is it really?  Seems more of a French inspired idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_euro

That is because the entire UK & quidzone in particular is set up and engineered to favour the English economy over everybody else.

How the hell can he give answers to things that have not been negotiated yet?

The answer he gave was 'he hadn't thought about it'.

How many other things has he not thought about ?

This whole Brexit campaign has not been thought about properly. It's been conducted in a wave of English nationalism.

Which would be fine if it was only England that had to live with the consequences.

Thunderstruck

...but as Scotland want to remain as EU citizens...

You'll need to reference the poll that asked "Scotland" if IT wanted to remain in the EU.

I can see an electoral event where the people of Scotland were asked if the UK should remain as part of the EU and I can see an electoral event where the people of Scotland were asked if Scotland should remain part of the United Kingdom.

Was there a third electoral event that I missed that asked the people of Scotland (not just the SNP Party Faithful) if they want to be out of the UK but to be part of Europe?

In both electoral events that did take place the answer was yes, we wish to remain. Anything else is conjecture and I am sure that Ms Sturgeon knows this, hence the subtle shift from the "will of the Scottish People" to the "will of the Scottish Parliament".

EU backing Spain over Gibralter now. The EU will allow Spain to block any future single market access or other EU trade deals for the territory.

:verysmug:

Diddy wee English Empire dying on the vine.

You'll need to reference the poll that asked "Scotland" if IT wanted to remain in the EU.

I can see an electoral event where the people of Scotland were asked if the UK should remain as part of the EU and I can see an electoral event where the people of Scotland were asked if Scotland should remain part of the United Kingdom.

Was there a third electoral event that I missed that asked the people of Scotland (not just the SNP Party Faithful) if they want to be out of the UK but to be part of Europe?

In both electoral events that did take place the answer was yes, we wish to remain. Anything else is conjecture and I am sure that Ms Sturgeon knows this, hence the subtle shift from the "will of the Scottish People" to the "will of the Scottish Parliament".

Everyone does it Thundy, it's not an SNP phenomena.

It said EU not single market, all your leaders were remain and hit the English public with project fear. They unlike us dismissed it as it was.

I don't care if Scotland is in or out of the EU, I voted remain purely for indyref2 reasons. It worked. So...

Francis Albert

This whole Brexit campaign has not been thought about properly. It's been conducted in a wave of English nationalism.

Which would be fine if it was only England that had to live with the consequences.

i doubt reciprocal medical rights are in the top 100 prorities. Rightly not.

The worse that can happen is you will have take out additional travel insurance as you do whenever you travel outside the eu. In practice i am pretty sure it will be one of the easier things to agree in the forthcoming negotiations.

Jambo-Jimbo

Is it really?  Seems more of a French inspired idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_euro

Might well have been a French idea to begin with, but who benefits more from the Euro now?

From a couple of years ago, but a decent overview of Germany and the Euro.

http://fortune.com/2014/10/22/why-germany-is-the-eurozones-biggest-free-rider/

HaymarketJambo

You don't actually believe that May herself is going to sit down and negotiate all the trade deals and other deals that need doing, do you?

I was having a dig at the Conservatives for having a go at Nicola Sturgeon over the day job.

But May has a hell of job right now thanks to David? 

Jambo-Jimbo

i doubt reciprocal medical rights are in the top 100 prorities. Rightly not.

The worse that can happen is you will have take out additional travel insurance as you do whenever you travel outside the eu. In practice i am pretty sure it will be one of the easier things to agree in the forthcoming negotiations.

You still need travel insurance even travelling within the EU, as the European Health Card only covers your basic health costs in a state run hospital or clinic.

It wouldn't pay for say a medical flight back home if you were totally incapacitated for example.

Many people don't bother about insurance when going on holiday to the EU (1 in 5 was the latest figure, I believe) mainly thinking that their EHIC card is enough, and it often is for minor aliments, but when something major happens, that's when your travel insurance kicks in.  I never travel without travel insurance, even just a weekend in Dublin, however I have pre-existing health problems so I just can't take the risk.

doctor jambo

EU backing Spain over Gibralter now. The EU will allow Spain to block any future single market access or other EU trade deals for the territory.

And when Shetland demands its independence from Scotland and takes all the oil and fisheries .....you will say hurray I'd imagine

jambo lodge

I was having a dig at the Conservatives for having a go at Nicola Sturgeon over the day job.

But May has a hell of job right now thanks to David? 

The Conservatives have been a reforming, radical government, much more than SNP, Labour or the previous Coalition. The rise in tax allowances for lowest earners, increase in supported nursery places, huge increases in minimum pay rates, dual clampdown on tax dodgers at both corporate and personal level and encouraging people off benefit and into work. Much better social policies than any other government I can remember. Couple that with Democracy at work in 2 referendums, Conservatives are doing fine thanks.    

While you may well be correct about aussieh, it is not impossible to imagine that if Scotland were leaving the UK before Brexit then the EU would change the rules to allow them to stay, if the will is there is will be done.

When Ireland left the union, N.I. stayed. They kept Ireland's membership, if 2/3rds of an Irish province can keep the The Kingdom of Ireland title and UK membership. Well...

And when Shetland demands its independence from Scotland and takes all the oil and fisheries .....you will say hurray I'd imagine

How are they gonnae dae that, it belongs to Scotland and anyway they have little territory. Its about 16km around the island. Now shut it, Brit.

The Conservatives have been a reforming, radical government, much more than SNP, Labour or the previous Coalition. The rise in tax allowances for lowest earners, increase in supported nursery places, huge increases in minimum pay rates, dual clampdown on tax dodgers at both corporate and personal level and encouraging people off benefit and into work. Much better social policies than any other government I can remember. Couple that with Democracy at work in 2 referendums, Conservatives are doing fine thanks.

:rofl: oh feck me, that first sentence nearly killed me. :rofl:

Did I see you on the tele years ago? Oh that's right, interference!

I am really not sure that Ireland is a good example of how we want things to progress with either Union we are currently members of.

Fine, but this is new territory, nothing is set in stone. It has never been tested.

Are you stuck in some west coast green brigade mindset ?

Bigotry pours out your posts.

As long as you spout this type of nonsense the goal of independence will never be realised.

Thunderstruck

How are they gonnae dae that, it belongs to Scotland and anyway they have little territory. Its about 16km around the island. Now shut it, Brit.

Two words - "median line".

As I said the other day, "think Rockall".

Seymour M Hersh

You do realise there's 50k + EU laws to be absorbed into UK law. I'll bet there's 000's he's not given a thought to. As for your English nationalism comment, pish.

Seymour M Hersh

Why are you so pathetically desperate for bad things to happen to the country?

Jambo-Jimbo

You do realise there's 50k + EU laws to be absorbed into UK law. I'll bet there's 000's he's not given a thought to. As for your English nationalism comment, pish.

I'll bet there are 000's of EU laws, rules and regulations that many a EU lawyer don't know anything about.

Are you stuck in some west coast green brigade mindset ?

Bigotry pours out your posts.

As long as you spout this type of nonsense the goal of independence will never be realised.

Says the gay, Muslim, European and black hating bigot.

I'll soon be Scottish only, so nae luck, stockholmer.

Two words - "median line".

As I said the other day, "think Rockall".

Exactly, think Scotland.

Why are you so pathetically desperate for bad things to happen to the country?

Cmon Russia, park your nukes up here. For a small fee.

Says the gay, Muslim, European and black hating bigot.

I'll soon be Scottish only, so nae luck, stockholmer.

Right i know your simple mind equates my concerns with islam as a muslim hater.

I know your simple mind equates my brexit stance as a european hater.

I know your simple mind equates my critique of american foreign policy over the past 8 years as a hater of black people because the president was black.

Where does your simple mind get hater of gays.

Oh and funnily enough i was at the Bannockburn centre last week.

Interesting that the english army was full of scots and the scottish army full of irish.

Your idea of nationhood is built upon royalty.

Mines is a completely different outlook and is far removed from your constant insukts.

Your use of the phrase stockholmer is laughable.

Ive posted why i think independence is good for Scotland you merely insult .

niblick1874

There are times when push becoming shove reveals intentions to those that were not looking. :2thumbsup: 

AlphonseCapone

Tbh, it's not a particularly good development and your deflected response is pretty pointless.

AlphonseCapone

There are times when push becoming shove reveals intentions to those that were not looking. :2thumbsup:

Shut the **** up you slavering arse.

Jambo-Jimbo

Gloating whilst the EU uses the Gibraltarian people as pawns in their pathetic little games, mind the EU has form for this, for months Frau Merkel has been using every EU & UK citizen living abroad as bargaining chips.

But you stay classy and don't let the plight of people being used as pawns worry you.

The Conservatives have been a reforming, radical government, much more than SNP, Labour or the previous Coalition. The rise in tax allowances for lowest earners, increase in supported nursery places, huge increases in minimum pay rates, dual clampdown on tax dodgers at both corporate and personal level and encouraging people off benefit and into work. Much better social policies than any other government I can remember. Couple that with Democracy at work in 2 referendums, Conservatives are doing fine thanks.

Not to mention diddling thousands of women

unlucky enough to have been born after 1951 out of pensions by renaging on previously agreed rises to the retirement age.

Not to mention the benefit cuts to people on ESA.

Plenty money for repairs to the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace.

Of course we are all in it together.

Exactly as I said a lot of things have not been thought through.

It's only now that thought has been given to all the law changes.

By the time it's all been untangled Scotland will be Independent from England.

niblick1874

Shut the **** up you slavering arse.

The globalist is strong in you.

AlphonseCapone

The globalist is strong in you.

The being a spangle is strong in you.

Where's the paper trail?

Geoff Kilpatrick

The being a spangle is strong in you.

Where's the paper trail?

Stop biting.

Seymour M Hersh

I'll bet there are 000's of EU laws, rules and regulations that many a EU lawyer don't know anything about.

Without doubt and it underlines just how much they (the EU) handed down laws to us. 

Seymour M Hersh

Exactly as I said a lot of things have not been thought through.

It's only now that thought has been given to all the law changes.

By the time it's all been untangled Scotland will be Independent from England.

No we won't be.

No we won't be.

It will, probably by May,(Oh the irony) this year.

jambo lodge

Not to mention diddling thousands of women

unlucky enough to have been born after 1951 out of pensions by renaging on previously agreed rises to the retirement age.

Not to mention the benefit cuts to people on ESA.

Plenty money for repairs to the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace.

Of course we are all in it together.

You forgot to comment on the positive things I have listed. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Feck Spain.

Just seen a Gibraltar journalist on Sky News who was saying that Gibraltarians feel betrayed by the EU.

They knew Spain would try something, indeed they expected it, however after voting massively in favour of remaining in the EU they now feel betrayed by the EU and Ireland whom they had considered as a friend and ally.

No it can't. For starters, there was another union that occurred in 1801 and altered in 1921. Was the UK dissolved in 1921?

I'm sorry GK, but focus too much on the word "can't". You know that's not how it works, tho'. Your top brains scrutinise all existing laws and law itself to find evidence to back up their arguments. All it takes is one word out place, one rogue 'and' or 'if'. That is why, if you don't mind ,I'll put my faith in the clever people to find a way. Not some road sweeper on JKB. It's never been done so precedence is N/A. Scotland is a member of the EU, it's Parliament is built on it.

Archived