Brexit?

aussieh

Space Mackerel

Errmmm, yes. Your point?

We are using the constitutional framework and doing everything legally I believe.

Cameron should've told us to bugger off back then. Mind you, we are helping to sweep up this mess he created.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amongst all the empty rhetoric being exchanged between the two sides, it's easy to forget that a million Scots voted Leave. You'd be forgiven for thinking that there was no support for Leave at all up here.

Space Mackerel

Amongst all the empty rhetoric being exchanged between the two sides, it's easy to forget that a million Scots voted Leave. You'd be forgiven for thinking that there was no support for Leave at all up here.

Imagine if the 16/17 year olds got a vote like they did in the Scottish Elections, the percentage would've been ever greater for a Remain victory North of the border.

Thunderstruck

Imagine if the 16/17 year olds got a vote like they did in the Scottish Elections, the percentage would've been ever greater for a Remain victory North of the border.

Assuming that all 80,000 of them voted "Remain".

It might have been more telling if the same age group in the rest of the UK had been allowed to vote. That would be just under a million votes in total if they all bothered to vote and all voted "remain".

The reality which you conveniently ignore is that adding more to the franchise changes the balance of the vote only by a small margin.

It seems the myth from the Independence Referendum persists - the myth that the youth vote was overwhelmingly "yes".

It might have been more effective across the U.K. if the group that notoriously fails to engage at elections took part - the 18 to 25 age group.

Space Mackerel

It might have been more telling if the same age group in the rest of the UK had been allowed to vote. That would be just under a million votes in total if they all bothered to vote and all voted "remain".

The reality which you conveniently ignore is that adding more to the franchise changes the balance of the vote only by a small margin.

It seems the myth from the Independence Referendum persists - the myth that the youth vote was overwhelmingly "yes".

It might have been more effective across the U.K. if the group that notoriously fails to engage at elections took part - the 18 to 25 age group.

There's only 80,000 16/17 year olds in Scotland?

At least ruk residents had a vote, not like EU residents being barred. You like to paper over stuff like that.

Cheers for that.

I'll have a wee read later myself.

Interesting.

jack D and coke

What aussieh said [emoji41]

Only this morning you were using polls to suit your argument to me[emoji1]

Sumboy.....

Sumboy.....

Thats because dafties use the Polls and MSM news when it suits them but dismisses them when they don't.     

Thunderstruck

At least ruk residents had a vote, not like EU residents being barred. You like to paper over stuff like that.

It would be of interest to hear how many EU Nationals you think were included in the Electoral Registers and who might have been able to vote in June - had they ruled allowed.

Space Mackerel

Sumboy.....

And you've been battered head to toe recently.

But you still get back up for more, fair play.

jack D and coke

And you've been battered head to toe recently.

But you still get back up for more, fair play.

In what universe have I've been battered?!? No by you that's for sure[emoji23]

:trippin:

Space Mackerel

In what universe have I've been battered?!? No by you that's for sure[emoji23]

:trippin:

I'll wait till I jack D gets a policy or 2 that he favours. You're like the Lib Dumbs the now, disagrees with everything, embraces nothing [emoji2]

jack D and coke

I'll wait till I jack D gets a policy or 2 that he favours. You're like the Lib Dumbs the now, disagrees with everything, embraces nothing [emoji2]

I'm embracing brexit because I voted for it :verysmug:

I disagree with hypocrites like the nats being grievance monkeys at every turn refusing to accept one referendum and then banging on about another because it suits their grievance agenda.

Haven't ever voted Lib Dum tbf.

Space Mackerel

I'm embracing brexit because I voted for it :verysmug:

I disagree with hypocrites like the nats being grievance monkeys at every turn refusing to accept one referendum and then banging on about another because it suits their grievance agenda.

Haven't ever voted Lib Dum tbf.

You voted for Brexit? What is that?

Maybe you could let Maggie May, Bumbling Boris, David Davies, Nissan, Scotland, NI, City of London and Liam Fox ken?

That's the danger with trying to use the EU vote to base the plan for a future Scottish referendum. Take Edinburgh, a unionist city, but a whopping big Remain vote. That suggests to me that the reason is more likely to be aligned with the majority Remain cities like London, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle.....than what Nationalist Scotland was up to. Then throw in the sizeable Leave vote cast by Nationalists. It's no wonder Gerry Helmet Heid appears to be cooling the indeyref2 chat, nothing is exactly clear cut.

Space Mackerel

That's the danger with trying to use the EU vote to base the plan for a future Scottish referendum. Take Edinburgh, a unionist city, but a whopping big Remain vote. That suggests to me that the reason is more likely to be aligned with the majority Remain cities like London, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle.....than what Nationalist Scotland was up to. Then through in the sizeable Leave vote cast by Nationalists. It's no wonder Gerry Helmet Heid appears to be cooling the indeyref2 chat, nothing is exactly clear cut.

Edinburgh is a Unionist city? How come my MP is SNP?

Arnold Rothstein

Edinburgh is a Unionist city? How come my MP is SNP?

That's some logic you've got there.

Space Mackerel

That's some logic you've got there.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooft!

a4d8c05293d90e00477534886e01fab8.png

Arnold Rothstein

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooft!

a4d8c05293d90e00477534886e01fab8.png

A vote for the SNP isn't a vote for independence which you are perfectly aware of. 61% of the Edinburgh electorate voted to remain as part of the UK which probably suggests it is a Unionist city.

Space Mackerel

A vote for the SNP isn't a vote for independence which you are perfectly aware of. 61% of the Edinburgh electorate voted to remain as part of the UK which probably suggests it is a Unionist city.

Let's see the next time post Brexit [emoji2]

The quicker and harder we exit the better.

Against my previous i wished the tories would act decisively.

I dont go for party politics i just want the best for folk around me and their bairns.

Exit then independence will imo happen.

I think the uk will be successful because of the brave vote from the "little englanders"

And that will convince scottish voters to be brave.

The smaller the state the better.

Arnold Rothstein

So you were wrong? Cools.

Space Mackerel

The quicker and harder we exit the better.

Against my previous i wished the tories would act decisively.

I dont go for party politics i just want the best for folk around me and their bairns.

Exit then independence will imo happen.

I think the uk will be successful because of the brave vote from the "little englanders"

And that will convince scottish voters to be brave.

The smaller the state the better.

You need a decent job, not Brexit.

Arnold Rothstein

Eh?

You're really ****ing thick. About Edinburgh being a Unionist city. 

Space Mackerel

You're really ******* thick. About Edinburgh being a Unionist city.

What is it about the global trading position of the Scotland/UK that drives you to post such ?

Trapper John McIntyre

What is it about the global trading position of the Scotland/UK that drives you to post such ?

Have you ever considered some other form of passing the time?

Francis Albert

Do you have a shred of evidence that Scotland post-Brexit has swung towards support for independence? Wishful thinking and confident expectation doesn't count.

Do you have a shred of evidence that Scotland post-Brexit has swung towards support for independence? Wishful thinking and confident expectation doesn't count.

I'd guess at support for Independence shrinking. I'd personally vote No now myself. The economic argument is weaker than ever IMO.

I'd rather a Indy Scotland wasn't lumbered with right-on ******s like Sturgeon running it. **** that.

I'd guess at support for Independence shrinking. I'd personally vote No now myself. The economic argument is weaker than ever IMO.

I'd rather a Indy Scotland wasn't lumbered with right-on ******s like Sturgeon running it. **** that.

Aye, just lumbered with right-wing tory filth.

No need to guess. The polls are clear and the silent majority are also still there, and not dead like SM hopes. Nicolas hopes of support getting to 60% are sunk.

But we will never move on while the dafties keep agitating.

Trapper John McIntyre

Aye, just lumbered with right-wing tory filth.

AKA Scottish National Party

You need a decent job, not Brexit.

True i am sick of my job.

I could change that.

You need a brain of some sort.

Im afraid you're stuck.

True i am sick of my job.

I could change that.

You need a brain of some sort.

Im afraid you're stuck.

:gok:

Daydream Believer

I doubt there has been any major change in the support for independence but that could change after people begin to see what Brexit will actually mean. 

We know that the majority in Scotland voted to remain in the UK and that the majority also voted to stay in the EU. It has now become clear that we can't have both. 

The main reason that I didn't vote for independence was that I didn't have sufficient clarity on what things would look like afterwards. Now the uncertainty is there regardless of Scotland's position.

I wouldn't rule out an increase in support for independence when the details of any Brexit deal start to come through. 

Space Mackerel

I doubt there has been any major change in the support for independence but that could change after people begin to see what Brexit will actually mean.

We know that the majority in Scotland voted to remain in the UK and that the majority also voted to stay in the EU. It has now become clear that we can't have both.

The main reason that I didn't vote for independence was that I didn't have sufficient clarity on what things would look like afterwards. Now the uncertainty is there regardless of Scotland's position.

I wouldn't rule out an increase in support for independence when the details of any Brexit deal start to come through.

New White Paper appears to be out now. I thought it was Jan 17 though.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/9879/report-beyond-gers-scotlands-fiscal-position-post-independence

New White Paper appears to be out now. I thought it was Jan 17 though.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/9879/report-beyond-gers-scotlands-fiscal-position-post-independence

And taken apart within a couple of days.

http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/beyond-gers-beyond-belief.html?m=1

Read both remember!

Not another "too wee too stupid" blogger?

Forget about who he is, focus on what he is saying using evidence to back up his statements. The guy behind the new white paper is a laser engineer - big deal. Post truth is the new buzz phrase at the moment, do you really want Indy by deception? Win the argument using facts and prove that the Scottish would be better off on our own. Not asking too much is it?

Space Mackerel

Forget about who he is, focus on what he is saying using evidence to back up his statements. The guy behind the new white paper is a laser engineer - big deal. Post truth is the new buzz phrase at the moment, do you really want Indy by deception? Win the argument using facts and prove that the Scottish would be better off on our own. Not asking too much is it?

I quite like this link.

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/RTS/Pages/default.aspx

Deception, I should bow to your greater experience in the matter.

I suppose you think Cameron was truthful when he said he would  a) restore Britain's manufacturing base B) reduce the deficit and eliminate it by 2015 c) reduce immigration to the tens of thousands and d) his claim that he has got real and meaningful concessions from the EU prior to the referendum.

Did you believe the Tories when they said there would be ?350million extra for the NHS every week? Do you believe that the U.K. will take back control? Did you believe Theresa May when she said she could not deport a man because of his pet cat and European law?

You would no doubt have believed that the Iraq war was an unfortunate error of judgement which regrettably led to a million dead and countless millions of lives destroyed. You would of course also have believed that the actions of Saddam Hussein created a threat to the U.K. and that they could hit us in 45 minutes.

All these things must be true or you would be responsible for supporting people who took us into an illegal war, removed us from the EU under false pretences, ruined our economy and made us an even bigger international laughing stock than we already are.

On your financial point. What do you think will happen to the city when our wonderful Brexit negotiators are unable to secure special status for it? What will happen to Scotland's relative position then? Is there not a fantastic opportunity for us to profit from the inevitable demise of the City of London?

BTW where is the deception? What are the post truth lies?    Is being a working class Tory not the biggest deception of them all?

Archived