Tony Watt signs

Generic Username

BrellierBoy

Cannae see anyone outside of China paying a million for GMS likes. :unsure:

How old is he now? 24/5? He never made it doown south as a kid and he's not setting the heather alight at Celtic.

Could easily attract that figure from an English Championship club. Not had a decent run in celtic side but the talent is obvious.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Son Of Anarchy

I agree totally. I think it is pretty sad how a Hearts fan, who has come through the youth and also played a vital role in getting us back up to where we are now gets criticised so much. He is a winner and hates others accepting being second best. We could do with (a lot) more of this attitude.

I agree, but he's not a Hearts fan ;)

Swanson, Hammil, Wilson, Andersen, Holt, and whoever that English striker Locke signed in January was.

That's off the top of my head in the past few seasons.

you pissed or something?

Garbage

Swanson, Hammil, Wilson, Andersen, Holt, and whoever that English striker Locke signed in January was.

:tim:

Watt-Zeefuik

Not onr of those players had a bad attitude!! Your just making shit up now.

Seriously?

Swanson didn't get the playing time he wanted so he sulked and refused to do anything.

Hammil would get frustrated and turn into ragey-boy and lose the plot and try to do everything himself.

Andersen completely lost his confidence to the point that he wouldn't even put in any effort in the development squad.

Holt thought he was bigger than Hearts and because he didn't think he was getting enough playing time, forced a trade.

Wilson sulked his way through his season with us and demanded a move to the OF.  That one's probably a bit unfair -- he did captain our title team and I should get off his back, but the way he left put a bad taste in my mouth.

The English striker showed up apparently thinking he wouldn't have to do any running in Scotland and looked surprised every time a defender took the ball off his foot.

Paterson wants to win and it sometimes gets the better of him.  Give me that over any of the above any day of the week.

scott herbertson

Not onr of those players had a bad attitude!! Your just making shit up now.

Paterson doesn't have a bad attitude either IMO - he has a winner mentality and I hope he keeps it

Doesn't always keep his cool and I'm sure that will improve with maturity but I despair at people who want rid of someone who was being described as a huge asset last year. I'd be busting a gut on his contract negotiations to keep him - we will win trophies with him in the team

Seriously?

Swanson didn't get the playing time he wanted so he sulked and refused to do anything.

Hammil would get frustrated and turn into ragey-boy and lose the plot and try to do everything himself.

Andersen completely lost his confidence to the point that he wouldn't even put in any effort in the development squad.

Holt thought he was bigger than Hearts and because he didn't think he was getting enough playing time, forced a trade.

Wilson sulked his way through his season with us and demanded a move to the OF. That one's probably a bit unfair -- he did captain our title team and I should get off his back, but the way he left put a bad taste in my mouth.

The English striker showed up apparently thinking he wouldn't have to do any running in Scotland and looked surprised every time a defender took the ball off his foot.

Paterson wants to win and it sometimes gets the better of him. Give me that over any of the above any day of the week.

:rofl:

Watt-Zeefuik

So seriously -- I'm the only one here who thinks that Swanson's attitude stunk?  Someone seriously wants to make a case that Swanson had a commendable attitude?

Maybe I am drunk and don't know it.

I understand perfectly thanks. But given that he has a year left, there's still plenty time left for a new contract to be successfully negotiated. Out of curiosity (as I don't know myself), how long does GMS have left on his contract at Celtic? If it's anything under 2 years I'm not really sure how a straight swap could benefit Hearts.

June 2019

And he is currently injured which probably rules him out for now even if we were interested.

Don't know what his injury is though.

Seriously?

Wilson sulked his way through his season with us and demanded a move to the OF. That one's probably a bit unfair -- he did captain our title team and I should get off his back, but the way he left put a bad taste in my mouth.

Paterson wants to win and it sometimes gets the better of him. Give me that over any of the above any day of the week.

Paterson treads a fine line - he has a hunger to win that few other players (including some of those listed above) possess. Most of the time this winner's attitude is a positive but sometimes he gets carried away and comes across like a petulent wee boy. But I totally agree, give me him any day over players who shy away when things aren't going their way. I think people also forget he's still only 21 and learning.

Anyway, Watt is he signing or not? 

He has the same agent as Christophe Berra, if that 'means' anything...

siegementality

Ok, you nearly named six players. Hammil is close to Paterson in terms of bad attitude but please tell me how all the rest are? They all appear to have one or two of the of the faults that Paterson has but you said you could name six who had worse attitudes, or did you mean six players collectively who combined have a worse attitude?

Paterson worth 200k at end of season. GMS worth 5 times that. Theres no way Celtic are going to do straight swap. Paterson would be a squad player at celtic, he isnt even a first choice pick for any position at Hearts..

How often is he left out of the starting line up when fit ?

Anderson's time at Hearts might not have worked out but his attitude was regularly praised by Neilson when questioned by the press.

Seymour M Hersh

I remember a few years ago we signed a player who's football talent (imo) may have surpassed any seen at Hearts on my lifetime of going to games.  Unfortunately his head was fecked. Vlad paid loads to get him sorted then got rid. Teams in Italy have been reaping the benefits ever since. It would be nice if we saw the benefits from Watt's undoubted talent and that his head-banging days are behind him.

Not enough to sign a new deal though huh ?

You know for a fact that he refuses to sign any new deal ?

The door is firmly closed is it ?

Watt-Zeefuik

Ok, you nearly named six players. Hammil is close to Paterson in terms of bad attitude but please tell me how all the rest are? They all appear to have one or two of the of the faults that Paterson has but you said you could name six who had worse attitudes, or did you mean six players collectively who combined have a worse attitude?

See above post. (Paul McCallum was the guy I couldn't remember)

Anderson's time at Hearts might not have worked out but his attitude was regularly praised by Neilson when questioned by the press.

Fair enough.  I'll withdraw Andersen.  Put Obua in that slot.  (Now someone's going to tell me Obua didn't have an attitude problem?)

Hammil had similar issues to Paterson but has Paterson ever run over an opposing manager while celebrating?  Gestured at his own fans while celebrating?

Gigolo-Aunt

Fair enough.  I'll withdraw Andersen.  Put Obua in that slot.  (Now someone's going to tell me Obua didn't have an attitude problem?)

Hammil had similar issues to Paterson but has Paterson ever run over an opposing manager while celebrating?  Gestured at his own fans while celebrating?

You are just clutching at names now - the list is changing from post to post.  BIg Davie O is the name clutched at now.

Fair enough. I'll withdraw Andersen. Put Obua in that slot. (Now someone's going to tell me Obua didn't have an attitude problem?)

Hammil had similar issues to Paterson but has Paterson ever run over an opposing manager while celebrating? Gestured at his own fans while celebrating?

Jesus Christ :cornette:

Some slavering ***** on here but you must be the worst.

Fair enough. I'll withdraw Andersen. Put Obua in that slot. (Now someone's going to tell me Obua didn't have an attitude problem?)

Hammil had similar issues to Paterson but has Paterson ever run over an opposing manager while celebrating? Gestured at his own fans while celebrating?

How utterly offensive

scott herbertson

I think Kingston and Pinilla had more of an attitude problem than Obua, who I think was just not good enough (the other two were, but didn't try their else for varied reasons)

Although Hamill displayed some pretty weird behaviours patterns I do think he tried when on the park. He had a lousy relationship with some of our fans but did try his heart out most games I watched.

Watt-Zeefuik

You are just clutching at names now - the list is changing from post to post.  BIg Davie O is the name clutched at now.

I made one change.  Was there another English striker signed by Locke mid-season other than McCallum?

Easier to just give an emoji to a post you don't like than to actually address the point?

Could easily attract that figure from an English Championship club. Not had a decent run in celtic side but the talent is obvious.

He's 25 and has done very little in the last 12 months. Last time he went down south he failed to make the grade. I don't see it personally. If he did a Paul Hartley and went to a team like Hearts and played out of his skin for a year or two then, aye, maybe. He simply won't get the chances required at Celtic and currently hasn't done anywhere near enough to warrant such a price tag.

Gigolo-Aunt

I made one change.  Was there another English striker signed by Locke mid-season other than McCallum?

Easier to just give an emoji to a post you don't like than to actually address the point?

The point is you are clutching at names.  Utter drivel from you.

How did McCallum have a bad attitude?

I'll happily take him. We need a variety of types at the club. I felt last season at times we lacked a hard edge. Think Watt would be that. No nonsense type.

Levein would snap him into shape, and Robbie takes no crap either.

A bit off topic but when I think of Jamie Hammil I remember that time when he got clattered in the face with the ball at Inverness.

Then when he got up dazed and the referee  gave a penalty and a red card for deliberate hand ball.

As we were beat anyway it was almost worth it to see his reaction. :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

Watt-Zeefuik

I think Kingston and Pinilla had more of an attitude problem than Obua, who I think was just not good enough (the other two were, but didn't try their else for varied reasons)

Although Hamill displayed some pretty weird behaviours patterns I do think he tried when on the park. He had a lousy relationship with some of our fans but did try his heart out most games I watched.

Attitude problems aren't all the same -- Hammil did try hard and I appreciated that, but he was paranoid and lost in his own head, which is different than Swanson's sulking.  I still think both are a problem.

Paterson is passionate but there have been many games where we're down a goal and he looks like the only one still playing with belief.  I accept that the yelling at teammates is a problem, and he needs to grow out of that, but I don't buy the rest of it about him not trying.  That's not what I see at all from him.

And FWIW I don't think Wilson, McCallum, or Holt had somehow offensive and unforgivable attitudes -- their issues were minor -- but certainly neither does Paterson.

And hopefully that's going to be my last on this, as this thread is supposed to be about Tony Watt, who also has had an attitude problem but hopefully is growing out of it.

Ferryjambo99

I made one change. Was there another English striker signed by Locke mid-season other than McCallum?

Mccallum was the only player. He was a dreadful player, didn't score a single goal and missed a pen in the shootout with Inverness. Whether that's down to a sheer lack of ability or a terrible attitude I couldn't say

scott herbertson

Attitude problems aren't all the same -- Hammil did try hard and I appreciated that, but he was paranoid and lost in his own head, which is different than Swanson's sulking.  I still think both are a problem.

Paterson is passionate but there have been many games where we're down a goal and he looks like the only one still playing with belief.  I accept that the yelling at teammates is a problem, and he needs to grow out of that, but I don't buy the rest of it about him not trying.  That's not what I see at all from him.

And FWIW I don't think Wilson, McCallum, or Holt had somehow offensive and unforgivable attitudes -- their issues were minor -- but certainly neither does Paterson.

And hopefully that's going to be my last on this, as this thread is supposed to be about Tony Watt, who also has had an attitude problem but hopefully is growing out of it.

I would call that a mental health problem not an attitude problem

Apart from that I agree with you podt

Attitude problems aren't all the same -- Hammil did try hard and I appreciated that, but he was paranoid and lost in his own head, which is different than Swanson's sulking. I still think both are a problem.

Paterson is passionate but there have been many games where we're down a goal and he looks like the only one still playing with belief. I accept that the yelling at teammates is a problem, and he needs to grow out of that, but I don't buy the rest of it about him not trying. That's not what I see at all from him.

Think the issue is that you correctly identified that Paterson has no attitude problem then picked some really bad examples to back up your point.

Anyone who was watching Hearts during the latter part of the Romanov years would have ****ing loved for us to have had one player with Paterson's desire and passion. He's a winner.

But on here, not wanting to sign a new contract because you legitimately think you can advance your career better elsewhere = attitude problem. That's the way it goes.

siegementality

I don't think you are fully comprehending what an attitude problem is. It's not necessarily about being lazy, or just not being a very good player. My initial post re Paterson tells you what an attitude problem is, and Paterson has lots of bad attitude, including sarcastically applauding a colleague for a misplaced pass.

Unlike you I have been watching Hearts for 40 odd years. In all my time I have never seen a player with an overall worse attitude than Paterson (although as previously stated Hammil comes close).

sairyinthat

Paterson worth 200k at end of season. GMS worth 5 times that. Theres no way Celtic are going to do straight swap. Paterson would be a squad player at celtic, he isnt even a first choice pick for any position at Hearts..

Oh really,if you or anybody else think Calum is going anywhere for less than + 1mill you've a surprise coming,and imo GMS is not even up at the level of Calums value never mind your imagined x 5

siegementality

Think the issue is that you correctly identified that Paterson has no attitude problem then picked some really bad examples to back up your point.

Anyone who was watching Hearts during the latter part of the Romanov years would have ******* loved for us to have had one player with Paterson's desire and passion. He's a winner.

But on here, not wanting to sign a new contract because you legitimately think you can advance your career better elsewhere = attitude problem. That's the way it goes.

I've outlined my thoughts on Patersons attitude. Not signing a contract is only a small part of it.

siegementality

Oh really,if you or anybody else think Calum is going anywhere for less than + 1mill you've a surprise coming,and imo GMS is not even up at the level of Calums value never mind your imagined x 5

Who do you think is interested in singing him?

I've outlined my thoughts on Patersons attitude. Not signing a contract is only a small part of it.

Yeah. If you think that objecting to inaccurate passes and the other things you listed are worse than some of the shite we endured from the likes of Pinilla who cost the club thousands in wages, that's entirely your problem. It bears no reflection on Paterson's attitude.

siegementality

Yeah. If you think that objecting to inaccurate passes and the other things you listed are worse than some of the shite we endured from the likes of Pinilla who cost the club thousands in wages, that's entirely your problem. It bears no reflection on Paterson's attitude.

What "shite" did we endure from Pinilla? who at the time he was with us was suffering from mental health problems (unfortunately so was our owner)

Seriously?

you know an awful lot

BrellierBoy

How often is he left out of the starting line up when fit ?

In the past no but currently Smith is the better right back and Paterson doesnt have the technical ability to be a midfielder.

J Cheever Loophole

Mccallum was the only player. He was a dreadful player, didn't score a single goal and missed a pen in the shootout with Inverness. Whether that's down to a sheer lack of ability or a terrible attitude I couldn't say

He was a man doon, utter rank.

BrellierBoy

Your a comedian man. Paterson with 1 year left in his contract is going to go for more than 1 million despite the fact his performances barely justify a start for Hearts. Nice one.

What "shite" did we endure from Pinilla? who at the time he was with us was suffering from mental health problems (unfortunately so was our owner)

The nub of your complaint seems to be that Paterson's no a very nice guy when things are going badly.

My opinion is that if you're looking at a professional sportsman's attitude, there are many worse things to be than whatever Paterson's deficiencies are. He's basically over competitive and really driven, yeah? Give me that any day.

I don't know the extent of Pinilla's mental health problems. I doubt anyone on here does. Forget him if you want. There are plenty of examples of people who took a lot of money out of this club while giving the impression that they didn't really want to be here. That is a far graver offence for a professional sportsman than anything you've listed.

Nobody who didn't have a prior agenda would suggest that Paterson was anywhere near the worst offender in terms of bad eggs/non-contributors at Hearts in the last ten years, let alone 40.

sairyinthat

Who do you think is interested in singing him?

Aint got a clue  is that relevant.Who do you think is interested in signing GMS? and are you daft enough to thin he has a 5x valuation on Calum. I get the impression youre just mischief making.

Punks No Deid

I agree totally. I think it is pretty sad how a Hearts fan, who has come through the youth and also played a vital role in getting us back up to where we are now gets criticised so much. He is a winner and hates others accepting being second best. We could do with (a lot) more of this attitude.

Spot on BB - I know guys from S Queensferry who have told me how hard CP has worked to get as far as he has from a very young age. I can't understand why our support turn on their own asap, normally you'd give your "laddies" a bit more leeway. CP wants to win esp for the JTs, that attitude should be encouraged I'd say

The nub of your complaint seems to be that Paterson's no a very nice guy when things are going badly.

My opinion is that if you're looking at a professional sportsman's attitude, there are many worse things to be than whatever Paterson's deficiencies are. He's basically over competitive and really driven, yeah? Give me that any day.

I don't know the extent of Pinilla's mental health problems. I doubt anyone on here does. Forget him if you want. There are plenty of examples of people who took a lot of money out of this club while giving the impression that they didn't really want to be here. That is a far graver offence for a professional sportsman than anything you've listed.

Nobody who didn't have a prior agenda would suggest that Paterson was anywhere near the worst offender in terms of bad eggs/non-contributors at Hearts in the last ten years, let alone 40.

Nailed it mate

Bazzas right boot

Watt happened to  the thread......................

Archived