Tony Watt signs

Generic Username

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Familiarity really does breed contempt, doesn't it?

Really shocked by the number of Hearts supporters who rush to slate Paterson at any opportunity.

Who slated him ?

Paterson had a poor season last season and has one year to go on a contract he seems unwilling to extend.

GMS is an excellent player warming the bench at Celtic.

Swapping the two would be a no brainer at this stage of their respective careers IMO.

Bowmans_Boot

Familiarity really does breed contempt, doesn't it?

Really shocked by the number of Hearts supporters who rush to slate Paterson at any opportunity.

I agree totally. I think it is pretty sad how a Hearts fan, who has come through the youth and also played a vital role in getting us back up to where we are now gets criticised so much. He is a winner and hates others accepting being second best. We could do with (a lot) more of this attitude.

Isn't he measured in lumens these days? Scottish football refusing to embrace change again imho.

Who slated him ?

Paterson had a poor season last season and has one year to go on a contract he seems unwilling to extend.

Swapping the two would be a no brainer at this stage of their respective careers IMO.

I for one am delighted you aren't the Hearts manager then.

I agree totally. I think it is pretty sad how a Hearts fan, who has come through the youth and also played a vital role in getting us back up to where we are now gets criticised so much. He is a winner and hates others accepting being second best. We could do with (a lot) more of this attitude.

I've some sympathy for your opinion but I think he was a Livingston fan.

I for one am delighted you aren't the Hearts manager then.

We don't have a manager. We have a head coach who won't be the one deciding the Paterson the issue and a DOF who highly rates GMS.

I've some sympathy for your opinion but I think he was a Livingston fan.

Really?Didn't know that.

We don't have a manager. We have a head coach who won't be the one deciding the Paterson the issue and a DOF who highly rates GMS.

Unless there has been a change in set up that I have missed, the last time a member of the management set up commented on this, the system was:

Neilson gives his opinion on what he needs. Levein and Murray identify potential signings, the scouts have a look and give their opinion, then Neilson looks at them and decides who he wants.

Unless there has been a change in set up that I have missed, the last time a member of the management set up commented on this, the system was:

Neilson gives his opinion on what he needs. Levein and Murray identify potential signings, the scouts have a look and give their opinion, then Neilson looks at them and decides who he wants.

I didn't say we did have a manager. And I'm quite sure our Director of Football rates 21 year old Scotland internationalist Calum Paterson rather highly too.

Bazzas right boot

Watt wassomeone I mentioned a while ago, purely speculative but he  would be a good option, good for goals at this level.

Bazzas right boot

Like the idea of Watt. Must have something about him. Let's hope his billy big baws days are over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he comes over and scores goals, he can proclaim to have bigger baws than king kong.

He can have any kind  of attitude he wants, as long as its backed up.

Probably not far from the truth. So we know that Neilson wants a wide player because he has mentioned it twice in the last week and we know that the clock is running on Patersons contract and we'll lose out big time if he doesn't go this window or sign an extension. If he doesn't extend it would be foolish to keep him beyond this window if there is a deal,on the table which suits us.

Can Neilson say no if he is offered GMS by Levein ?

I didn't say we did have a manager. And I'm quite sure our Director of Football rates 21 year old Scotland internationalist Calum Paterson rather highly too.

Yes but he doesn't seem to want to sign an extension to stay (at this juncture) How hard is that to understand ?

Gigolo-Aunt

Fair play, Beats - you called something was happening at the weekend.

As for Watt....

There is no doubt he has shown quality in his career and from what you hear should have made more of the talent he has.  He is still young enough to get back on track and this is a good chance to show what he can do.

Cant sit here and say I'm 100% convinced that he will be a success as he has moved about a lot of clubs for one so young but you just hope the penny has dropped for the lad.   I hope really hope so.  Robbie has talked about getting players in with the right mentality - hopefully this is the case and he does not end up being more of a problem when not on the park.

Really curious to see if something comes out that we have first option on him and a pre agreed deal should everything click.

Hopefully the deal can be done before Friday so we can register him to play againstt Krasnodar. That is provided we beat Birkirkara.

Probably not far from the truth. So we know that Neilson wants a wide player because he has mentioned it twice in the last week and we know that the clock is running on Patersons contract and we'll lose out big time if he doesn't go this window or sign an extension. If he doesn't extend it would be foolish to keep him beyond this window if there is a deal,on the table which suits us.

Can Neilson say no if he is offered GMS by Levein ?

I'd expect so. Maybe not though. I'm just going by what I read in a newspaper interview with Levein or Neilson a while ago. Most decent sized clubs end up bringing in players picked by someone with a position above the 'manager' or head coach these days though tbh. How many of Celtic's signings do you think come from the manager's decision?

I agree BB.

I like Paterson . I think its more to do with frustration at team mates who are not pulling their weight. Such as Juanma and his antics at Perth

being one example .

Folk seem happy to forget the commitment he has shown the club in the past . Playing all over the shop when required not to mention a whole  season as a striker when we had no other options in our Admin season.

Maybe not a boyhood fan of the club but one who appears to care a lot . 

I agree BB.

I like Paterson . I think its more to do with frustration at team mates who are not pulling their weight. Such as Juanma and his antics at Perth

being one example .

Folk seem happy to forget the commitment he has shown the club in the past . Playing all over the shop when required not to mention a whole  season as a striker when we had no other options in our Admin season.

Not enough to sign a new deal though huh ?

Aye.

I read somewhere that he followed them as a kid. Now hoping it was a quote in a paper rather than someone on here claiming to know him! :lol:

underwaterwoodwelder

Suits him well.

image.png

Looks like he has playing at the homeless world cup lol.

Watt-Zeefuik

Who slated him ?

Can't mind if it was you or someone else but someone referred to him as having the worst attitude of any Hearts player in their memory.  I've been following Hearts for a lot less time than most here and I can recall at least a half dozen players off the top of my head with worse attitudes.

Paterson is competitive and hates losing.  Sometimes that turns into him barking at his teammates.  Not the most constructive thing to do but that's nothing wrong with his attitude.

Can't mind if it was you or someone else but someone referred to him as having the worst attitude of any Hearts player in their memory.  I've been following Hearts for a lot less time than most here and I can recall at least a half dozen players off the top of my head with worse attitudes.

Paterson is competitive and hates losing.  Sometimes that turns into him barking at his teammates.  Not the most constructive thing to do but that's nothing wrong with his attitude.

Certainly wasn't me. I love his attitude

Watt-Zeefuik

Certainly wasn't me. I love his attitude

Ah, well.

In any case, I think Paterson is a much bigger talent and producer than GMS.  And I like GMS -- he's a more polished product, but I think Paterson's potential is three times that of GMS.

Why do you ask a ******* question every single one of your posts.

Do you not know anything. Sorry but it's getting right on my charlies.

Glad someone else has noticed this.

Every single post is a question.

Ah, well.

In any case, I think Paterson is a much bigger talent and producer than GMS.  And I like GMS -- he's a more polished product, but I think Paterson's potential is three times that of GMS.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. For whatever reason, Paterson doesn't seem to want to stay. If that's the case, you get rid at the maximum price you can. GMS coming here or not, doesn't matter. He has to go now if he isn't extending.

yes on loan for a year then Liege signed him for ?1.28 million

The owner of Liege is the owner of Charlton I think

He is barking

siegementality

I agree BB.

being one example .

He was a young footballer being paid to play football. Do you really think he was going to say "feck off I'm not playing up front!"?

Watt-Zeefuik

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. For whatever reason, Paterson doesn't seem to want to stay. If that's the case, you get rid at the maximum price you can. GMS coming here or not, doesn't matter. He has to go now if he isn't extending.

Put like that it's a fair point.  I still think GMS for Paterson as a straight swap would be a bad deal for Hearts, but if GMS decided he wanted to stay at Tynecastle for a while, it's closer.

Pre signing talk:- Tony my lad out that window is the wilderness and a life outside football where wages are generally shite. Out the other window is grass and a future and where a decent living can be made proving you screw the nut. Tony, Which window will you choose?

Put like that it's a fair point. I still think GMS for Paterson as a straight swap would be a bad deal for Hearts, but if GMS decided he wanted to stay at Tynecastle for a while, it's closer.

That's where I'm at. It boils down to length of contract when comparing value unfortunately.

Put like that it's a fair point.  I still think GMS for Paterson as a straight swap would be a bad deal for Hearts, but if GMS decided he wanted to stay at Tynecastle for a while, it's closer.

I'd rather Paterson didn't go to Celtic. But if we lose Paterson this window for a bit of money and gain GMS, I'll be delighted.

siegementality

Paterson is petulant, huffy and goes down like a sack of tatties when anyone challenges him. He moans at his colleagues, takes the hump with the Head Coach and has even been known to have a go at fans who are giving him a bit of a hard time. He would now appear to be declining to sign another contract.

I'd be interested to hear the half dozen players off the top of your head who have had a worse attitude than that.

Might be a good one. Nae crystal ball to be able to say for definite that he'll be a disaster. Unlike others like.

Where would one get one of those football player predicting crystal balls?

BrellierBoy

Put like that it's a fair point. I still think GMS for Paterson as a straight swap would be a bad deal for Hearts, but if GMS decided he wanted to stay at Tynecastle for a while, it's closer.

Paterson worth 200k at end of season. GMS worth 5 times that. Theres no way Celtic are going to do straight swap. Paterson would be a squad player at celtic, he isnt even a first choice pick for any position at Hearts..

Yes but he doesn't seem to want to sign an extension to stay (at this juncture) How hard is that to understand ?

I understand perfectly thanks. But given that he has a year left, there's still plenty time left for a new contract to be successfully negotiated. Out of curiosity (as I don't know myself), how long does GMS have left on his contract at Celtic? If it's anything under 2 years I'm not really sure how a straight swap could benefit Hearts.

I don't get it. For the last two years we've heard all about how we're not just bringing in players based on their ability but also what they're like as a person, if they've got the right attitude, if they'll be good for the dressing room atmosphere, work hard in training etc. etc.

I've got nothing personally against giving somebody a second chance and it would be interesting to see if he can screw the nut, but I just don't see how a known waster fits in with the club ethos at the moment.

Watt-Zeefuik

Paterson is petulant, huffy and goes down like a sack of tatties when anyone challenges him. He moans at his colleagues, takes the hump with the Head Coach and has even been known to have a go at fans who are giving him a bit of a hard time. He would now appear to be declining to sign another contract.

I'd be interested to hear the half dozen players off the top of your head who have had a worse attitude than that.

Swanson, Hammil, Wilson, Andersen, Holt, and whoever that English striker Locke signed in January was.

That's off the top of my head in the past few seasons.

Paterson worth 200k at end of season. GMS worth 5 times that. Theres no way Celtic are going to do straight swap. Paterson would be a squad player at celtic, he isnt even a first choice pick for any position at Hearts..

Cannae see anyone outside of China paying a million for GMS likes. :unsure:

How old is he now? 24/5? He never made it down south as a kid and he's not setting the heather alight at Celtic.

BrellierBoy

Swanson, Hammil, Wilson, Andersen, Holt, and whoever that English striker Locke signed in January was.

Not onr of those players had a bad attitude!! Your just making shit up now.

The way he treated Prince when he misplaces that pass to him in the home game against Infonet was diabolical. The sarcastic applause was very immature and I can imagine him being someone certain players wouldn't like.

Absolute nonsense. I get that Paterson only has a year left but there is no way GMS is currently worth anywhere near ?1M at the moment. Paterson is our first choice right back. It just so happens that our wide midfielders have been pretty garbage and Paterson is a talented enough player to play any one of a number of positions. We are lucky in that we have a very capable back up.

Callum was quoted at start of pre season that club had not yet started talks on new contract but he was happy to do so.

Also have Nicholson, Ozturk, Djoum, Rossi in same boat to 2017.

Fair enough if he is leaving later in August once Europe is settled. Think he would benefit from move to higher level.

Gigolo-Aunt

:cornette:

Hope we sign him, our team needs a proper arsehole. The type you love when they play for you and hate when they play against.

Might be a bit hard for some to love him seeing as he's ex Sellik though.

Archived