Tony Watt signs

Generic Username

Checking online see the Charlton manager saying last week he has work to do to get back to fitness after groin injury last season that ended loan to Blackburn.

So might not be ready to play this week.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prince Buaben

Like the idea of Watt. Must have something about him. Let's hope his billy big baws days are over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't believe anyone would say 'not for me' on this one. Ask any Celtic fan you know and they will tell you if we get him we will have a good player on our hands.

Italian Lambretta

I might find that bit about asking a sellick fan a bit difficult.

I'll just have to take you're word for it.

Can't believe anyone would say 'not for me' on this one. Ask any Celtic fan you know and they will tell you if we get him we will have a good player on our hands.

Don't think we said we wouldn't be signing British players, just that it was harder to get value for money from them.

But don't let the facts distort your view of things

I have no issue with it, merely suggesting/highlighting that what we say in the media and what we do do not necessarily have any connection.

Not sure what you mean by this, what are my view of things?

Rudolf's Mate

How do you know this though?

Atleast Paterson plays for the jersey!

Where've you been for the last few months! If you'd been on here you'd not need to ask that question.

Winston Ingram

Have met Tony Watt a few times. Not a bad lad by any stretch and not at all the arrogant individual as portrayed on here BUT... he isn't the brightest and the problem at Celtic was an appalling, lazy approach to training that used to infuriate team mates and management.

Like others, I'm surprised we are looking at him but on the other hand he is the type who could really work. Would presume and hope all checks regarding his willingness to work hard and succeed have been done. 

From my recollection of him he's better than Reilly but sounds like he's had attitude problems. If he gives himself a shake & works hard I think we will see goals from him. Really hope he applies himself but as has been said before if he doesn't Hearts won't play him.

Goal scoring record....

2010?2011

Airdrie United 15 (3)

2011?2014

Celtic 25 (7)

2013?2014

? Lierse (loan) 15 (9)

2014?2015

Standard Li?ge 13 (2)

2015?

Charlton Athletic 36 (7)

2015?2016

? Cardiff City (loan) 9 (2)

? Blackburn Rovers (loan) 9 (1

Clerry Jambo

15:51

WATT IN TALKS OVER LOAN

Charlton Athletic striker Tony Watt is in talks with Hearts over a season-long loan, according to Sky sources. 

A deal is expected to be completed within the next 24 to 48 hours. 

My mate works for Sky Sports and he advised me that the deal is to be completed in the next 48 hours.

Dr Ian Malcolm

At no point has Neilson said we'll only sign players with a great attitude. He's mentioned character plenty, but that doesn't always mean "good honest pros". If we only signed choirboys and work horses we'd be getting pumped every week. Skacel would barely break in to a trot some games.

I like that Paterson has a bit of attitude and aggression about him. A lot of players we've produced previously have been a bit too nice and timid. If Watt can combine that with good fitness levels and isn't lazy to the point of not contributing then it could work pretty well.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Sounds a bit of a cross between Mark Burchill and Danny Swanson but prepared to give him a chance if he puts his heart into the move. A gamble again which seems a trend in our transfer dealings of late !

Its actually a bit of a failure and a sad indictment that you couldn't really identify one young striker brought through at our club who is remotely ready for a chance. Nine external signings for our under 20's this summer. Almost unnoticed by most but hugely significant IMO. Suggests that not only are we not producing many players promotable to the first team, we don't have anything coming from the 17/18 group either. 

The number of new additions to the U-20's did not go unnoticed, if you remember Craig Levein had stated not long after the takeover that the youth set up had been neglected for a couple of years, we had some coming through at that point but the younger ones, 16's-17's then, who would now be hitting the U-20 age, obviously weren't up to standard so we've had to look elsewhere for now. Hopefully in a couple of years we'll start producing quality again.

As for Tony Watt, I worked in Coatbridge for a number of years and knew one of his ex school team coaches, he said the lad had ability but his attitude was shocking. We had a young girl working with us as well who'd been in his year at school and she told of his big time attitude before being signed by Celtic and that he was insufferable after the signing. These conversations were just after he'd scored against Barcelona and both were big Celtic fans, at a time when most would be bragging about any connection to the lad they were basically slagging him off, not a good sign.

That said, it was over three years ago and hopefully he's matured since then. He does have ability, he's scored everywhere he's been and the lure of the World Cup qualifiers and having Celtic loving Chesney as the national manager might be enough incentive for him to screw the nut and work hard, if so we could benefit greatly from this deal.  

Sounds a bit of a cross between Mark Burchill and Danny Swanson but prepared to give him a chance if he puts his heart into the move. A gamble again which seems a trend in our transfer dealings of late !

Think it will continue to be that way from now on unless something happens to close the gap in what we can offer in wages compared to down the road.

Talented lad whose career is getting close to last chance saloon. We get him on loan he bags us goals and his profile is raised again...its win win for both parties.

He makes an arse of this opportunity and he's gets sent back and he becomes another statistic of talented Scottish players who threw their career away. We don't lose out of that as he won't be around to disrupt the dressing room.

Can't see why anyone would be against it and I don't think this negates the number one target being signed.

The Scottish Messi is that not what Strachan said ?

He would have been pished at the time though

May one-six

A wee bit wary of this one, to be honest. Watt always struck me as a bit of an a/hole. Willing to see how it pans out, obviously, but not sure it's a smart move.

Maroonblood22

Edgy, arrogant and a point to prove.

Yes please.

Exactly this! Been a while since we had some of that about our team!

Maroonblood22

If we get him (with option to buy I'd hope), Appiah and GMS then this will turn into a very positive transfer window!

Add Big Zee as well please Ann

heartgarfunkel

He'd be a great addition - hopefully carry on the tradition of ex-Celtic players who have done really well at Hearts.  Option to buy please if we get him on loan.

heartgarfunkel

My mate works for Sky Sports and he advised me that the deal is to be completed in the next 48 hours.

'Was at Porty with with big lanky Hibby' type of post IMHO :thumb:

Toxteth O'Grady

I would love to have a Watt, Zeefuik front-line.

Hilarious for commentators

Is Muzzy Izzat still playing?

heartgarfunkel

Is Muzzy Izzat still playing?

*rapturous applause from enthusiastic audience*

:cheese:

Jerah Jambo

A wee bit wary of this one, to be honest. Watt always struck me as a bit of an a/hole. Willing to see how it pans out, obviously, but not sure it's a smart move.

No idea if this will happen but if it does it's one where you really need to have faith in our management team that they can turn around a talented players career when many others in various clubs and indeed countries appear to have thrown in the towel. As a lot of people are saying it's a risk but probably one worth taking as it is a loan deal but it makes me wonder where his career goes from here if it doesn't work out, quite sad that potentially a talented young Scottish player is playing for his future at the age he is.

If he's screwed the nut since being bounced from club to club like a hot potato because of his poor professionalism then fair enough. If it's true we're interested he probably has as Neilson always stresses wanting players willing to work hard to improve.

Checking online see the Charlton manager saying last week he has work to do to get back to fitness after groin injury last season that ended loan to Blackburn.

So might not be ready to play this week.

Probably still be more mobile than Juanma

Glamorgan Jambo

To expand on his time at Cardiff he did okay there - the then manager Russell Slade (now the manager of Charlton btw)  - was keen to sign him but it fell through due to a signing embargo.

I know for a fact that other members of the coaching team (including possibly the current head coach) didn't want him anywhere near the club. However the owner, the notorious Vincent Tan, had/has a lot of respect for Slade and wanted to support him.

The issues were all down to professionalism and fitting in with the squad. I've no details.

I assume this is the player I was told about. Seems he hasn't managed to get his contract ripped up though.

Still expect another striker to come in as well though!

Gary Mackay Steven only has a chance if Paterson goes the other way. Not a straight swap obviously. I'd doubt that we will get him to be honest.

manaliveits105

Few Celtic Lite trolls on this thread obviously pissed that theyve missed out on an ex sellik player

Luscious Laryea

Good Scottish player with something to prove and a name suitable for KC & The Sunshine Band related chants. What's not to love?

May one-six

No idea if this will happen but if it does it's one where you really need to have faith in our management team that they can turn around a talented players career when many others in various clubs and indeed countries appear to have thrown in the towel. As a lot of people are saying it's a risk but probably one worth taking as it is a loan deal but it makes me wonder where his career goes from here if it doesn't work out, quite sad that potentially a talented young Scottish player is playing for his future at the age he is.

Yeah, I'd hope that Robbie/Craig are really doing their homework on this and not desperately grabbing at an option that's suddenly become available. Fingers crossed that if it comes to fruition it works out for everyone.

I assume this is the player I was told about. Seems he hasn't managed to get his contract ripped up though.

Still expect another striker to come in as well though!

Gary Mackay Steven only has a chance if Paterson goes the other way. Not a straight swap obviously. I'd doubt that we will get him to be honest.

Straight swap would be a great deal for us

LarrysRightFoot

It's going to one of two ways.

He either appreciates the chance he is being given and nuckles down trains hard and reignites his career.

Or

He isn't willing to put up with our strict training regime and ends up getting sent back to the Addicks.

I hope as we all do its scenario 1. If it is I hope we have an option to buy already in place.

If it's scenario 2 - as long as he doesn't disrupt group harmony - it'll be a case of nothing ventured nothing gained.

Watt-Zeefuik

Straight swap would be a great deal for us

Familiarity really does breed contempt, doesn't it?

Really shocked by the number of Hearts supporters who rush to slate Paterson at any opportunity.

He has tattooed knees. That can't be a goo

d sign.

And what's up with having tattooed knees?? Apart from it being painful as ****

Fits the type player our signing policy is looking at. Good player with promise, recovering from injury or head so far up his erse this is his last chance at making it.

Jambo 4 Ever

Familiarity really does breed contempt, doesn't it?

Really shocked by the number of Hearts supporters who rush to slate Paterson at any opportunity.

This!

Paterson has had many man of the match awards and righty so, and scored many goals, some rally important ones!

Captain Canada

Not thrilled by the prospect. His career is on the slide big time. I'll gladly eat my words if he comes in and does well. I just don't see why we'll be any different to all the other clubs he's failed at recently.

Archived