US Elections 2016

JamboX2

The secret of the universe is mirrored in the light of balance, just as the cosmos deconstructs barriers to enlightenment. :thumbsup:

Aye, but how many peas in a barrel of grapes, when a bald man starts to wash his face, where does he stop, kind of multiverse dimensional schism.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

I cant in all honesty take the credit for making you laugh.

I've just had enough of people writing or posting things that they know are false yet still feel the need to hit send.

This whole constant demand for overturning is really showing some people up.  You simply can't say these people respect democracy, you just can't.  The Scottish Referendum, Brexit and now this.  Effing shysters the lot of them.

Seymour M Hersh

This whole constant demand for overturning is really showing some people up.  You simply can't say these people respect democracy, you just can't.  The Scottish Referendum, Brexit and now this.  Effing shysters the lot of them.

The actions of pecksniffian blackguards I8.

Space Mackerel

This whole constant demand for overturning is really showing some people up. You simply can't say these people respect democracy, you just can't. The Scottish Referendum, Brexit and now this. Effing shysters the lot of them.

^^^^ seething. Nae luck [emoji23]

There was hardly a massive protest or outpouring of people requesting the Indy Ref was overturned or in someway not legitimate.

You are kidding right?

You mean apart from BLAMING the elderly? The BBC? Westminster? Lies? Fear mongering? Bigots? Racists?

I can be pretty sure I know more YES voters than you do and not one of them wanted the Referendum result over turned.

Plenty were not happy with certain things during the campaign, but that is not the same thing.

It really is.  They were unhappy with absolutely everything.

If it was a football game it would have been the referees fault and the opposition cheated.

If it was a football game it would have been the referees fault and the opposition cheated.

Careful now, you're beginning to sound like Donald Trump.  :wink:

You said overturned, not me. Plenty of fans moan about cheating and refs without wanting the game replayed or awarded to them.

The concerns were raised during the campaign as well, not just dreamt up after the result.

What is your opinion of Trump acting in any way possible, promising any policy he could think of, just to get elected and now it is over we are being fed information that in fact he is not like that or he will not do that? Is that democratic?

You do know you have just described every politician ever to try win an election since, well ever!

I for one am shocked.  You would have to be a complete imbecile to have genuinely thought Trump and a country like America would actually do some of the shit that he was so clearly speaking with his tongue in cheek whilst promising.

Edited by i8hibsh

ATIS wrote "more" lies not "all" lies because you lied. Now you've just gone and lied again about the wording in my post.  You knew what you were writing was lies but you still wrote it. Read the link you posted one more time, then read your post again then get back to me. 

So on the one hand, yes, you score two points.  I did in fact mis-read the article -- the FBI has acknowledged a dramatic increase in hate crimes during election season, not after the election, and yes, you wrote "more lies" instead of "all lies."

But seriously, WTF.  I wasn't lying, I read the thing wrong.  And you're pushing back against the SPLC, the organization that has done more than everyone else combined to keep up with white supremacy in this country, as some kind of liberal plant.  That's just ****ed up.  And saying "more lies" his hardly connotatively different than saying "all lies."

We're one week in and Trump's transition team is already talking about eliminating not just Obamacare but Medicare as well, justifying Muslim registration using the abhorrent Japanese internment camps from WWII, promoting Sarah Palin for actual leadership positions, and the odds-on pick for the Secretary of Defense is openly talking about restarting the torture program.  But you don't care.  You're out scoring points like this is some kind of game, rather than a massive frontal assault on America as a pluralistic democracy.

No wonder we have a fascist game show host as a President-elect, if this is what passes for political conversation on a neutral forum.

I don't really have any hope of the electoral college denying Trump the Presidency, but this it exactly the kind of situation they had in mind when they wrote it.  The drafters of the Constitution weren't fully comfortable with the idea of turning government over to the unwashed masses (or even the washed and landed masses), so they put a get-out clause in with the EC to allow a small set of elites to make the final call on the Presidency.

I honestly thought before 2000 that if there were ever a popular/EV split, that the electors would act "unfaithfully" and put the winner of the popular vote in office.  But none of them even came close to budging.

If we have the allocation by electoral college vote that overrides the total popular vote, it's not that different than the electors themselves going against the result of the state-by-state elections.  But again, I have basically no hope of that happening.

Plans for a register of all Muslims living in the USA now confirmed.

Why don't they go the whole hog and make them wear yellow crescent moons on their clothing and live in government approved ghettos?

Fascist *******s.

Why don't they go the whole hog and make them wear yellow crescent moons on their clothing and live in government approved ghettos?

Fascist *******s.

Not doubting it but where is that confirmed?

Nothing has been confirmed and you are missing a little in the detail. You had two on the face of it, ugly proposals here - one was the registry and the other 'a complete shutdown of Muslims' entering the US. 

The first one has been tracked back to basically be a database of all those immigrated from Muslim majority countries. This existed post 9/11 and is pretty much reinstating what Bush had. Post Omar Mateen this has come back to the fore. I don't agree with this one and think it is both likely ineffectual and unethical if you are saying come and be an American, pledge allegiance to the flag, be one of us but...

The second and more infamous one has been tracked back to mean a halt on immigration from states, (not religions) that have basically been radicalised (e.g. Pakistan, Syria, Afghanistan) until the immigration process is reviewed. Likewise, entry vetting from states that have been seriously affected by terrorism will now be even more rigorous.  Again, the first part of this has recent precedents  (see USSR, Iran) and the second part would seem to be common sense. As a whole I think it is much more sensible and ethical than the 'complete shutdown'. 

Lastly, I'd suggest the left should review their banding around of 'fascist', especially when they are using it to defend an ideology which takes rather deadly issue over the drawing of cartoons.

Edited by elvoys

So on the one hand, yes, you score two points.  I did in fact mis-read the article -- the FBI has acknowledged a dramatic increase in hate crimes during election season, not after the election, and yes, you wrote "more lies" instead of "all lies."

But seriously, WTF.  I wasn't lying, I read the thing wrong.  And you're pushing back against the SPLC, the organization that has done more than everyone else combined to keep up with white supremacy in this country, as some kind of liberal plant.  That's just ****ed up.  And saying "more lies" his hardly connotatively different than saying "all lies."

We're one week in and Trump's transition team is already talking about eliminating not just Obamacare but Medicare as well, justifying Muslim registration using the abhorrent Japanese internment camps from WWII, promoting Sarah Palin for actual leadership positions, and the odds-on pick for the Secretary of Defense is openly talking about restarting the torture program.  But you don't care.  You're out scoring points like this is some kind of game, rather than a massive frontal assault on America as a pluralistic democracy.

No wonder we have a fascist game show host as a President-elect, if this is what passes for political conversation on a neutral forum.

The SPLC have fallen so far from their origins and been devoured by identity politics that  and now actually put death lists together for people fighting for pluralism, womens' rights and freedom of speech. See the case with Maajid Nawaz and Ayaan Hirsi Ali. They are  a disgrace and albeit thankfully, a joke at the same time. 

alwaysthereinspirit

You don't know me (thank G-d) and you have no idea what I care about.

As for the Japanese internment camps? That type of rhetoric would seem the perfect time for you to leave a video or printed story proving that the newly elected government plans on doing this. After you've fact checked it though. You know how you are with mis-reading.

After Pearl Harbour the US created them. Not their finest hour.

Well, there was a war on...but what does this have to do with Muslim immigration as U-A mentions?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Fascist *******s.

Is it confirmed? This is appalling if it happens. Don't get me wrong, too many people pussy foot around radical Islam but I could never support a register like that. How alienated would you feel?

Not doubting it but where is that confirmed?

Because anything I post from anything more left wing than the arch-conservative National Review will be called lies or spin, here's a link to them condemning the Muslim registry:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/427451/donald-trump-muslim-registry

Lastly, I'd suggest the left should review their banding around of 'fascist', especially when they are using it to defend an ideology which takes rather deadly issue over the drawing of cartoons.

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world.  A few million have a problem with cartoons.  Jihadis represent about as much of Islam as the KKK represents of Christianity or the Khmer Rouge represents of atheism.

The SPLC have fallen so far from their origins and been devoured by identity politics that  and now actually put death lists together for people fighting for pluralism, womens' rights and freedom of speech. See the case with Maajid Nawaz and Ayaan Hirsi Ali. They are  a disgrace and albeit thankfully, a joke at the same time. 

Please provide a link demonstrating that the SPLC has put together death lists.  I would be shocked to find that out.

You don't know me (thank G-d) and you have no idea what I care about.

As for the Japanese internment camps? That type of rhetoric would seem the perfect time for you to leave a video or printed story proving that the newly elected government plans on doing this. After you've fact checked it though. You know how you are with mis-reading.

Again with the point scoring.

There is no formal government yet of course since Obama is still President (small mercies), but Higbie is part of the transition team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjCgb7K1ZQ

Because anything I post from anything more left wing than the arch-conservative National Review will be called lies or spin, here's a link to them condemning the Muslim registry:

All a tad confusing. The article condemns the idea of a registry - rightly - but states that it is unclear if Trump is actually going to put one together. The link to The Washington Post is one year old and in the wake of the Paris attacks which is not an excuse and looks to me like Trump is saying there needs to be radical, unpopular solutions. 

I don't really have any hope of the electoral college denying Trump the Presidency, but this it exactly the kind of situation they had in mind when they wrote it.  The drafters of the Constitution weren't fully comfortable with the idea of turning government over to the unwashed masses (or even the washed and landed masses), so they put a get-out clause in with the EC to allow a small set of elites to make the final call on the Presidency.

I honestly thought before 2000 that if there were ever a popular/EV split, that the electors would act "unfaithfully" and put the winner of the popular vote in office.  But none of them even came close to budging.

If we have the allocation by electoral college vote that overrides the total popular vote, it's not that different than the electors themselves going against the result of the state-by-state elections.  But again, I have basically no hope of that happening.

It would take a Constitutional Amendment to remove the Electoral College, and that isn't going to happen.

Twice in the last 16 years, the Republicans have won the Presidency despite having the lowest number of votes, so they aren't about to change a system that works in their favour.

Now shoot me if you like but the register in principle seems a good idea. I'm all for all this stuff people are raging about like Id cards and registers and email tapping. If you have nothing to hide, what is the problem? It's how they use it that is more important. Don't think MI5 are interested in my chats with my mates about last Saturday on Rose Street.

With the register though... How would that prevent a cell from Belgium entering and committing an act of terrorism? Not well thought out. Fair enough having a register of all persons linked to countries who are known harbourers or producers of terrorism but then who wouldn't be on that list? We have some here?

Now shoot me if you like but the register in principle seems a good idea. I'm all for all this stuff people are raging about like Id cards and registers and email tapping. If you have nothing to hide, what is the problem? It's how they use it that is more important. Don't think MI5 are interested in my chats with my mates about last Saturday on Rose Street.

With the register though... How would that prevent a cell from Belgium entering and committing an act of terrorism? Not well thought out. Fair enough having a register of all persons linked to countries who are known harbourers or producers of terrorism but then who wouldn't be on that list? We have some here?

I don't think it will take very long before the Trumpets run into a lawyer who will tell them that the proposed registry is unconstitutional, that it violates the Bill of Rights, specifically the First Amendment.

For those asking here's more on the Japanese internment camps in the US during WWII.  (Note that we had no German internment camps -- think that out.)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/internment-advocacy-one-familys-journey-n122751

George Takei, the original Sulu on Star Trek, was placed in a camp along with his family at age 5.  He's talked about his experiences several times.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/george-takei-describes-his-experience-in-a-japanese-int-1533358984

EDIT: Fact checking myself -- it's not strictly true that no Germans were detained.  Around 11,000 Germans were detained, compared with 120,000 Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_German_Americans

Edited by Ugly American

Do people understand that not everyone voted for Trump because who he was or what he said instead voted because they are Republicans yeah?

Do people understand that not everyone voted for Trump because who he was or what he said instead voted because they are Republicans yeah?

Of course.  But he still said those things, and people still voted for him.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm pretty reliably loyal to the Democratic party, but the Democrats nominated someone completely unfit for office whose main reason for being known was his media appearances -- like, say, Michael Moore -- and ran him against a Republican who was qualified but whom I disliked intensely -- like, say Mitt Romney -- I would have voted for Romney.

Party loyalty should have its limits.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Only a complete idiot would vote to give the government access to snoop on members of the public. 5 minutes doing some research would enlighten you to the dangers of this.

Of course. But he still said those things, and people still voted for him.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm pretty reliably loyal to the Democratic party, but the Democrats nominated someone completely unfit for office whose main reason for being known was his media appearances -- like, say, Michael Moore -- and ran him against a Republican who was qualified but whom I disliked intensely -- like, say Mitt Romney -- I would have voted for Romney.

If I can ask UA please, as an American how do you feel about the world outcry? Do you not kind of think eff off and mind your own business? Every human on Earth is in some small way affected by any political change in the Western World but do you feel like I do the whole world are going a bit Jessica Fletcher? It was down (quite rightly) to the American people, they spoke and there was a result. It wont always be like this as things change in democracy. Many people oppose any decision it is democracy but I just feel a real pathetic outcry. It is not as if anyone actually cares, I mean not really. I have a real thing about a fake world and this sums it up. Everyone outside the US claiming they care about Mexicans etc lives in America. It is so false. Edited by i8hibsh

Only a complete idiot would vote to give the government access to snoop on members of the public. 5 minutes doing some research would enlighten you to the dangers of this.

Vote ?

They would ask ?

I think not.

alwaysthereinspirit

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world.  A few million have a problem with cartoons.  Jihadis represent about as much of Islam as the KKK represents of Christianity or the Khmer Rouge represents of atheism.

Please provide a link demonstrating that the SPLC has put together death lists.  I would be shocked to find that out.

Again with the point scoring.

There is no formal government yet of course since Obama is still President (small mercies), but Higbie is part of the transition team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjCgb7K1ZQ

I saw the interview live last night with Kelly and the first thing that came to mind was you posting it. He didn't actually say that there would be internment camps in fact he said quite clearly that he was in no way saying that there should be camps. Talk about point scoring.

Is Carl Higbie in fact a member of Trumps transition team or did you make that up too? I looked but I couldn't find it. Maybe you could post later when you find his name on the team sheet.

Seymour M Hersh

Well, there was a war on...but what does this have to do with Muslim immigration as U-A mentions?

Your post looked like you never knew about them. 

Seymour M Hersh

Understatement of the decade alert.

alwaysthereinspirit

There was a war on correct. And possibly stopping entry into the USA from Japanese immigrants the day after Pearl Harbor would kinda make sense. But locking up 2nd, 3rd and longer generation Japanese Americans was 100% wrong. A black eye for the U.S. no doubt.

Francis Albert

Registration would be stupid, unworkable, counterproductive, totally unjustified and dangerous.

But Obama despite promising to close Guantanamo, kept people, mostly if not all Muslims, held there without trial or charge for all 8 years of his presidency, without being called a despot or zealot or fascist. That's what a "war on terror" involves.

If ISIS manages ever to plant a dirty nuclear bomb in New York you'll see a lot worse in counter-terrorism activity.

Spot on. Schwarzenegger released a statement saying that this election would be the first time that he voted Democrat since becoming a US citizen. Colin Powell also said that he would vote for her. I've said that I'll never vote Tory. However, I'd vote for them over someone like Trump.

I saw the interview live last night with Kelly and the first thing that came to mind was you posting it. He didn't actually say that there would be internment camps in fact he said quite clearly that he was in no way saying that there should be camps. Talk about point scoring.

Is Carl Higbie in fact a member of Trumps transition team or did you make that up too? I looked but I couldn't find it. Maybe you could post later when you find his name on the team sheet.

They have changed his job description since the election. No worries, he will still be transparent if people fact check him. Those that don't are his prey and to be honest, a lot of those are beyond help as proven on here. 

Edited by niblick1874

TBH the Trump transition team seems to be changing on a daily basis.  I have seen Higbie described as a Trump supporter, surrogate, spokesperson, spokesperson for a PAC that supports him, and advisor who is actually a member of the transition team.

And I never claimed he was proposing internment camps.  This is what I said in the post that you quoted: ". . . justifying Muslim registration using the abhorrent Japanese internment camps from WWII . . ."  Are you arguing that Higbie doesn't do that in this video?

If I can ask UA please, as an American how do you feel about the world outcry? Do you not kind of think eff off and mind your own business? Every human on Earth is in some small way affected by any political change in the Western World but do you feel like I do the whole world are going a bit Jessica Fletcher? It was down (quite rightly) to the American people, they spoke and there was a result. It wont always be like this as things change in democracy. Many people oppose any decision it is democracy but I just feel a real pathetic outcry. It is not as if anyone actually cares, I mean not really. I have a real thing about a fake world and this sums it up. Everyone outside the US claiming they care about Mexicans etc lives in America. It is so false.

I cannot overstate how this election result feels completely different to bad election results in the past.  It may be that in the end, Trump actually does bring in a set of level-headed advisors who are strongly conservative but at least understand what each federal department is.  But right now, that's not what's happening.  Christie had a relatively sane transition team lined up, but Trump's son-in-law and Bannon came in, allied with Pence, and strong-armed them all out the door.  So now we're getting absolute nutters like Kobach, Bolton, Cotton, Ross, and a half dozen more.  You wake up every day hoping the news is going to get a little better, and every day it doesn't.

So in every other election in my life, I'd say, "butt out."  But before the election, even thinking about a Trump win, you had a best case scenario (Trump actually takes on Wall St.  Ha!  http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-wall-street-bankers-231524), a middling scenario (Trump creates a somewhat more Tea Party-esque Bush administration, which in my eyes would still be pretty bad), and a worst case scenario (Trump is weak and completely overrun by far right fruitcakes looking to do maximum damage).  Right now we've been at "worst case" ever since last Wednesday.  

So foreign protests?  Keep them up, please, the more the better.  Remember, we have all the nukes and a military that dwarfs everyone elses.  If we go off the deep end, we take a lot of the world with us.

Did I just hear Berny Sanders say if Trump has the guts to stand up to the multinationals he has a friend in me? Hmm,

TBH the Trump transition team seems to be changing on a daily basis.  I have seen Higbie described as a Trump supporter, surrogate, spokesperson, spokesperson for a PAC that supports him, and advisor who is actually a member of the transition team.

And I never claimed he was proposing internment camps.  This is what I said in the post that you quoted: ". . . justifying Muslim registration using the abhorrent Japanese internment camps from WWII . . ."  Are you arguing that Higbie doesn't do that in this video?

I cannot overstate how this election result feels completely different to bad election results in the past.  It may be that in the end, Trump actually does bring in a set of level-headed advisors who are strongly conservative but at least understand what each federal department is.  But right now, that's not what's happening.  Christie had a relatively sane transition team lined up, but Trump's son-in-law and Bannon came in, allied with Pence, and strong-armed them all out the door.  So now we're getting absolute nutters like Kobach, Bolton, Cotton, Ross, and a half dozen more.  You wake up every day hoping the news is going to get a little better, and every day it doesn't.

So in every other election in my life, I'd say, "butt out."  But before the election, even thinking about a Trump win, you had a best case scenario (Trump actually takes on Wall St.  Ha!  http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-wall-street-bankers-231524), a middling scenario (Trump creates a somewhat more Tea Party-esque Bush administration, which in my eyes would still be pretty bad), and a worst case scenario (Trump is weak and completely overrun by far right fruitcakes looking to do maximum damage).  Right now we've been at "worst case" ever since last Wednesday.  

So foreign protests?  Keep them up, please, the more the better.  Remember, we have all the nukes and a military that dwarfs everyone elses.  If we go off the deep end, we take a lot of the world with us.

I feel your pain ua, but come on, I am sure your life was never dedicated to Hillary Clinton.

Edited by alfajambo

AlphonseCapone

Did I just hear Berny Sanders say if Trump has the guts to stand up to the multinationals he has a friend in me? Hmm,

What about that could possibly confuse you?

alwaysthereinspirit

I have to be honest here. I have no idea then what you meant by "justifying Muslim registration using the abhorrent Japanese internment camps from World War II"

The threats of nuclear war also have me at a loss. 9 days as the President elect and we're at Defcon 1. You may be getting the real world mixed up with Stephen Kings Dead Zone.

I feel your pain ua, but come on, I am sure your life was never dedicated to Hillary Clinton.

Like I said, it's not like I've ever been some Clinton superfan.  I think she would have been a good President.

But from the early early indications, Trump is shaping up to be our worst ever by a margin.

I have to be honest here. I have no idea then what you meant by "justifying Muslim registration using the abhorrent Japanese internment camps from World War II"

The threats of nuclear war also have me at a loss. 9 days as the President elect and we're at Defcon 1. You may be getting the real world mixed up with Stephen Kings Dead Zone.

Trump wants to register either all Muslim immigrants or all immigrants from "Muslim countries," or possibly outright ban their entry, depending on which day he's speaking.  The ACLU has already said they'll have a lawsuit waiting on the doorstep of the courthouse the day that passes.  In the interview, Kelly challenges him saying it's not constitutional to do that, and he says it is, and cites the internment camps as legal precedent for why it's constitutional.  And even a shill like Kelly has to push back against that.

It's a bit like a UK politician saying, "sure we can ban transgender people from serving in the Army, after all, look at what we did to Alan Turing!"

I don't want to overblow the nuclear thing -- Trump has been unusually casual with how he's talked about nukes (http://time.com/4437089/donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-nukes/), but he's unusually casual about everything.  On the other hand, the chances that the US will invade Iran just went through the roof last week.