US Elections 2016

JamboX2

Riddley Walker

You do know he is not the President yet yeah?

He has already gone back on plenty of his pre-election pledges. The comparison with the Brexit situation is clear.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

He has already gone back on plenty of his pre-election pledges. The comparison with EVERY ELECTION EVER is clear.

FTFY

Was about to say similar, but you beat me to it.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Riddley Walker

FTFY

Fair point. Yet the similarities in terms of the shock result, wrong polling and the demographics of the anti-establishment vote are similar. The xenophobic rhetoric of Trump and Farage are similar. They both tapped into a mistrust of government and pretended to the masses that there is something they can do about heavy immingration, and, somehow, privately educated city-boy Farage and multi-billionaire Trump somehow convinced the working classes they are men of the people and have their best interests at heart.

People who think the day after an election things will change

:facepalm:

One would hope the winning candidate's position on key issues wouldn't change after one day.

Fair point. Yet the similarities in terms of the shock result, wrong polling and the demographics of the anti-establishment vote are similar. The xenophobic rhetoric of Trump and Farage are similar. They both tapped into a mistrust of government and pretended to the masses that there is something they can do about heavy immingration, and, somehow, privately educated city-boy Farage and multi-billionaire Trump somehow convinced the working classes they are men of the people and have their best interests at heart.

Also a fair point.

Quite how Trump is seen as some "man of the people" is astonishing.

Also a fair point.

Quite how Trump is seen as some "man of the people" is astonishing.

Indeed. Remarkable how he is seen as a hero.

Probably a good thing in this case !

Absolutely!

Trump's gonna be too busy with his upcoming fraud trial to worry about prosecuting his political rival.

Think that's why he referred to him as President Elect.

Yes I can read. So why slate him for not changing the world when the ink on the ballot paper is still wet?

Yes I can read. So why slate him for not changing the world when the ink on the ballot paper is still wet?

I'm not sure why. Who did that?

Maybe when mainstream politicians come out with statements like "We're all in this together" and then precede to cut the tax for the top 1%, or try to ignore & overturn a democratic vote, just because they didn't like the result, maybe that's why people are prepared to listen to the likes of Trump & Farage, simply because they no longer trust mainstream politicians.

Now I agree, how on earth could Trump ever know what it's like to live on the breadline, the choices one has to make, do I eat or heat my room kind of choices.

I've known hard times, when you have to skip meals for yourself so as the kids get fed, Trump has never had to do this, yet somehow he seems to have resonated with folk who are having hard times in America, now mainstream politicians need to ask serious questions why a billionaire can connect with the ordinary working class, whist career politicians can't.

Perhaps if they started to listen to the 99% instead of the 1%, maybe that would be a start.  

In simplistic terms. The parties that say they are for the working man(whoever that maybe btw) have in the eyes of the working man, failed them time and time again. So they have turned to others. When the others fail them time and time again that the penny may finally drop. That all political parties are essentially the same. For themselves.

Riddley Walker

Maybe when mainstream politicians come out with statements like "We're all in this together" and then precede to cut the tax for the top 1%, or try to ignore & overturn a democratic vote, just because they didn't like the result, maybe that's why people are prepared to listen to the likes of Trump & Farage, simply because they no longer trust mainstream politicians.

Now I agree, how on earth could Trump ever know what it's like to live on the breadline, the choices one has to make, do I eat or heat my room kind of choices.

I've known hard times, when you have to skip meals for yourself so as the kids get fed, Trump has never had to do this, yet somehow he seems to have resonated with folk who are having hard times in America, now mainstream politicians need to ask serious questions why a billionaire can connect with the ordinary working class, whist career politicians can't.

Perhaps if they started to listen to the 99% instead of the 1%, maybe that would be a start.  

I don't disagree with anything you say. It's only a pity people turned towards folk like Trump and Farage instead of someone else. In saying that, the choice of candidates for the Republican electorate were a joke.

Day 3 of President Elect Trump:

Let's see how his pre-election pledges are doing

"We're going to shut down all Muslims coming here" Dropped.

"Hillary Clinton will be prosecuted" Dropped.

"Obamacare will be repealed" Dropped.

:rofl:

Trump is a demagogue and said what people wanted to hear.

When faced with the realities of being President, I expect that many of his "promises" will go by the board.  The stuff you mentioned are relatively small potatoes, in my view.  What should concern Americans more is who he will appoint to important positions within the government, who he will nominate for the Supreme Court, and what he will do about Roe v Wade.

Those decisions could affect Americans for generations.

I don't disagree with anything you say. It's only a pity people turned towards folk like Trump and Farage instead of someone else. In saying that, the choice of candidates for the Republican electorate were a joke.

Like who?  That's the problem, the alternatives are just the same as the ones being rejected, however someone who's seen as not part of the same old band of the political clique, someone who's a good orator, someone who plays on the masses fears and concerns, someone who tells the masses what they want to hear, someone who's seen by the masses as taking on the hated political establishment, someone like Trump, Farage et al.

The masses are turning to folks on the fringes, simply because they don't trust the mainstream any longer or indeed anyone seen as being from the mainstream.

Anti-Trump march happening right now in central Edinburgh. I seriously dislike the guy, but do me a ******* favour.

I actually heard he's standing down because of it.

I actually heard he's standing down because of it.

Surely not. I doubt he'd even do a u-turn on any of his campaign pledges because of such public shows of disgust.

Wait a minute...

Anti-Trump march happening right now in central Edinburgh. I seriously dislike the guy, but do me a ******* favour.

Please tell me for the love of **** you are joking. Please.

:facepalm:

Whilst the mother's basement dwellers howl at the moon over this racist, homophobic mysogynist his first three appointments of the administration are revealed as a woman (Conway) a gay man ( dunno) and a black man (Carson). I don't hold out much chance of good governance but his trolling instincts are impeccable.

Edited by elvoys

Whilst the mother's basement dwellers howl at the moon over this racist, homophobic mysogynist his first three appointments of the administration are revealed as a woman (Conway) a gay man ( dunno) and a black man (Carson). I don't hold out much chance of good governance but his trolling instincts are impeccable.

Carson is indeed black; he is also a religious fundamentalist nut, with extremely right wing views on certain issues and an apparent penchant for fabricating stories to build up his credentials.

J.T.F.Robertson

Carson is indeed black; he is also a religious fundamentalist nut, with extremely right wing views on certain issues and an apparent penchant for fabricating stories to build up his credentials.

Perfect fit then? :)

Perfect fit then? :)

Indeed. Hardly a sign that Trump's actually not what he gives the impression of being.

I await people citing an appointment of Ted Cruz as evidence he really loves Mexicans!

Yeah, a black American lad I know tells me this makes him not black even though he came up thru the school of hard knocks. This type of hes a coconut attitude is far too common imo. The story about him being a world class surgeon isn't fabricated though. Apparently Trump is rewarding loyalty since so many saw him as career suicide. Shame wasn't enough for Christie mind u - a 'bridge' too far perhaps.

Yeah, a black American lad I know tells me this makes him not black even though he came up thru the school of hard knocks. This type of hes a coconut attitude is far too common imo. The story about him being a world class surgeon isn't fabricated though. Apparently Trump is rewarding loyalty since so many saw him as career suicide. Shame wasn't enough for Christie mind u - a 'bridge' too far perhaps.

I'm certainly not knocking his blackness or surgical credentials. He is a ****ing nutjob when it comes to certain things, though.

alwaysthereinspirit

Indeed. Hardly a sign that Trump's actually not what he gives the impression of being.

I await people citing an appointment of Ted Cruz as evidence he really loves Mexicans!

Do you believe that he really HATES Mexicans? And I mean ALL Mexicans.

Do you believe that he really HATES Mexicans? And I mean ALL Mexicans.

Me? No. I have no idea what he really believes, and wouldn't presume to know.

He's come out with some pretty offensive stuff regarding Mexicans, though.

alwaysthereinspirit

Me? No. I have no idea what he really believes, and wouldn't presume to know.

He's come out with some pretty offensive stuff regarding Mexicans, though.

He has but you and others know and knew that he meant the illegal aliens who decided that just being in the country illegally wasn't enough for them. They became criminals of a different type. 11 million illegals are not being returned.

He has but you and others know and knew that he meant the illegal aliens who decided that just being in the country illegally wasn't enough for them. They became criminals of a different type. 11 million illegals are not being returned.

Again, not presuming to know what he actually meant. The man is a total ****ing slaver.

Apparently Trump is rewarding loyalty since so many saw him as career suicide.

I'm hearing on Sky News, that's he's going to have 4 of his own family on the transitional team, the same 4 members who are also going to be running his business empire, that's going to raise a few eyebrows.

I take it their solidarity with minorities doesn't extend to unemployed white people in the rust belt.

Not sure how "oppressed" that group actual is, or if it fits with the current definition of a "minority" group. They (and others) may well believe they are.

Francis Albert

Not sure how "oppressed" that group actual is, or if it fits with the current definition of a "minority" group. They (and others) may well believe they are.

By any definition which employs the English language properly, they are a minority group.

By any definition which employs the English language properly, they are a minority group.

Cool.

Everyone on the planet could fit into one minority group or other, going by that.

Francis Albert

Cool.

Everyone on the planet could fit into one minority group or other, going by that.

Of course that is true.  Which makes bland talk about expressing solidarity with minorities pretty meaningless.

Edited by Francis Albert

I'm hearing on Sky News, that's he's going to have 4 of his own family on the transitional team, the same 4 members who are also going to be running his business empire, that's going to raise a few eyebrows.

Sounds a bit Kennedyesque lol

Another one:

"I'm going to rid politics of lobbyists" (Drain The Swamp was the tagline)  Dropped. Trump just hired dozens of lobbyists as advisors.

:gok:

How do you know they have been dropped?

How do you know they have been dropped?

Presumably based on his interview with Wall Street Journal on Friday. Although not sure if the patently-unworkable "Muslim ban" was covered.