• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

Steve Bannon named as Trump's Chief Strategist. A race-baiter in the White House, and another one advising him. Great.

Edit: forgot to say anti-Semite. Some of the racist crap on Breitbart under Bannon's leadership has to be seen to be believed. Having Bannon anywhere near the Oval Office is scary stuff.

Breitbart himself was a conservative Jew who was best pals with Netenyahu. They are constantly shilling for Israel. The Breitbart team are many things but anti-semetic certainly isn't one of them. I see them as basically filling the space the The Daily Mail does here with simplified, reactionary anti-immigrant, nationalist narratives. They do though have an editorial clarity that makes their ilk always more persuasive in election cycles that your Guardians or NY Times. At the same time there a sick alt-right Nazi trolling thing going on with  Pepe Frog/ Hitler/ concentration camp memes which this 'break the boundaries of the thought police' attitude is feeding and which is not being properly called out.

However if I was a Jew on campus for example I would be  more concerned with the visceral  anti antisemitism which seems to be embedded on the righteous left today (or the Labour Party). For example one look at  BLM platforms show that they aren't the single issue campaign they claim to be - the plight of the Palestinians five thousand miles away of course manages to find its way into the police brutality narrative because on hard left at least, Jews in America are synonymous with 'white patriarchal power'.

And I can see the logic in having someone as chief strategist who just out maneuvered an entire multi billion dollar media institution and two political parties although not so much if his presence is going to be a continued distraction. 

Edited by elvoys

Great post.

One of his better ones*

*sometimes adding a "." is a way of getting to the last page of the thread on your phone without having to click through 50-odd pages.

Breitbart himself was a conservative Jew who was best pals with Netenyahu. They are constantly shilling for Israel. The Breitbart team are many things but anti-semetic certainly isn't one of them. I see them as basically filling the space the The Daily Mail does here with simplified, reactionary anti-immigrant, nationalist narratives. They do though have an editorial clarity that makes their ilk always more persuasive in election cycles that your Guardians or NY Times. At the same time there a sick alt-right Nazi trolling thing going on with Pepe Frog/ Hitler/ concentration camp memes which this 'break the boundaries of the thought police' attitude is feeding and which is not being properly called out.

However if I was a Jew on campus for example I would be more concerned with the visceral anti antisemitism which seems to be embedded on the righteous left today (or the Labour Party). For example one look at BLM platforms show that they aren't the single issue campaign they claim to be - the plight of the Palestinians five thousand miles away of course manages to find its way into the police brutality narrative because on hard left at least, Jews in America are synonymous with 'white patriarchal power'.

And I can see the logic in having someone as chief strategist who just out maneuvered an entire multi billion dollar media institution and two political parties although not so much if his presence is going to be a continued distraction.

Bollocks, you're 100% showing off your prejudices there.

Jews have much more to fear from the most powerful man in the world not liking the Jews than a political ideology that isn't anywhere near power in the US presidency, senate or here in the UK.

To be fair, you gave aussieh an easy tap in there.

can we get aussieh upfront instead of Sammon next monday!

Edited by i8hibsh

To be fair, you gave aussieh an easy tap in there.

#evenjesuscouldnaesavethat Edited by aussieh

Excellent article - this election has really allowed the rest of us an insight into the US in a way that Brexit should be doing for the white working classes of the UK.

It's fascinating how Americans respect guys like Trump for being wealthy in a way that leaves us gagging at his vulgarity. (I suppose it's the same way that hip hop guys are able to flaunt huge wealth without being told to GTF!)

The way the white working class in the US appear to respect the very wealthy, but not professionals, is completely opposed to us Brits (very generally speaking).

Excellent article - this election has really allowed the rest of us an insight into the US in a way that Brexit should be doing for the white working classes of the UK.

It's fascinating how Americans respect guys like Trump for being wealthy in a way that leaves us gagging at his vulgarity. (I suppose it's the same way that hip hop guys are able to flaunt huge wealth without being told to GTF!)

The way the white working class in the US appear to respect the very wealthy, but not professionals, is completely opposed to us Brits (very generally speaking).

Agree- good article and you make good observations.

So, they're jealous of experts, greedy, envious of the rich and a bit dim?

I took it more that they don't like being patronised by rather than jealous of, experts.  Greedy, perhaps, and envious of the rich in that they covet their wealth.  I never got the dim bit.

It came across to me that they felt hard work should be rewarded.

So, they're jealous of experts, greedy, envious of the rich and a bit dim?

That's the kind of condescending attitude that isolates the working classes.

Space Mackerel

Don't want to be to pedantic, but, don't we have black, Asian working class too here amongst many others? Edited by Space Mackerel

Just because its written doesn't make it truth.

Wasn't a lot of direct quotes in there from Joe Blow.

I didn't say it was truth, just that it was interesting.

I can assure you Nookie the Brits have little to no respect for us Professionals.

Something "happened" a few years ago , though I'm not sure what it was, that broke this

In the first 13 odd years of my career I never had a single complaint from a patient

Now I'm getting 20 add a year

My colleagues also all report the same.

We are now in a do exactly as the public demands or its furious letter time.

Everybody's just feckin raging and demanding all the time :thumbsdown:

Don't want to be to pedantic, but, don't we have black, Asian working class too here amongst many others?

We do, but I was speaking in the context of the article Boris posted and I was speaking in general terms.

Space Mackerel

We do, but I was speaking in the context of the article Boris posted and I was speaking in general terms.

Okdoki, I'll read it later when I'm home [emoji106]

I can assure you Nookie the Brits have little to no respect for us Professionals.

Something "happened" a few years ago , though I'm not sure what it was, that broke this

In the first 13 odd years of my career I never had a single complaint from a patient

Is that not more to do with a new culture of complaining because I sense that professionals such as teachers and doctors still have huge respect in this country.

Banking and law professionals...not so much!

alwaysthereinspirit

I didn't say it was truth, just that it was interesting.

Post 2707 is when you found it interesting.

Post 2712 ............

Hate these type of pieces that say nothing factual (maybe the 50's - 60's stuff is true) but are just left out there in the wind.

Post 2707 is when you found it interesting.

Post 2712 ............

Hate these type of pieces that say nothing factual (maybe the 50's - 60's stuff is true) but are just left out there in the wind.

Post 2712 - my interpretation of what was written.  

I'd argue that it is impossible to write a piece like that based on fact, given the subjective subject matter.  It's broad brush, and perhaps captures an element, but cannot say it fits for all.

Social Media has emboldened people.

In days gone by, people would write a letter and never know if they were the only ones complaining about something, now they mention it on facebook/twitter and then get lots of other people telling their stories of similar complaints, so they then feel that they are not alone and feel braver to complain.

On the other side of the coin, companies and organisations would just ignore one or two complaints in days gone by, however it's not so easy nowadays when hundreds of people shame and complain en-mass on social media, thus making it not so easy to ignore or hide.

Add in the other factor of potentially suing someone or some company for doing something wrong and you then have a perfect storm.

It's the service culture.

I pay for a service (tax) therefore if the service is crap, I demand an apology/better service/compensation etc etc etc etc

Part of me thinks that it is right that people should complain if something isn't right, or have been treated badly, but this deflects from the real problem (or is that blame?)

Bollocks, you're 100% showing off your prejudices there.

Jews have much more to fear from the most powerful man in the world not liking the Jews than a political ideology that isn't anywhere near power in the US presidency, senate or here in the UK.

Youre having a king sized giraffe. Would that be the most powerful man in the world who is going to be much closer to Israel than his predecessor and who has Jewish kids in law?

What part of bollocks does Breitbart having one of their four news offices in Jerusalem amount to? Try waving an Israeli flag in Trump Tower and then try the same in any UK or US uni and get back to me on how you were received. In other news Jezza equates Israel to IS.

Edited by elvoys

I pay for a service (tax) therefore if the service is crap, I demand an apology/better service/compensation etc etc etc etc

Part of me thinks that it is right that people should complain if something isn't right, or have been treated badly, but this deflects from the real problem (or is that blame?)

There's a lot of different things changing in the collective UK psyche IMO. One of them is the diminishing, very British habit of passively accepting bad service rather than cause a scene, which is a fate worse than death!

Youre having a king sized giraffe. Would that be the most powerful man in the world who is going to be much closer to Israel than his predecessor and who has Jewish kids in law?

What part of bollocks does Breitbart having one of their four news offices in Jerusalem amount to? Try waving an Israeli flag in Trump Tower and then try the same in any UK or US uni and get back to me on how you were received. In other news Jezza equates Israel to IS.

Tell me what the Jewish people have to fear from a political ideology nowhere near power in any major country then

I can assure you Boris that the people complaining are most definitely NOT the ones paying for it.

Or its people who have absolutely NO concept of just how Feckin terrible the service is

Or they are idiots

Craig Gordons Gloves

Took a break from this thread for the weekend to go to a safe space :)

Firstly - Elvoys, apologies for the lack of decorum in my reply to you way back.  End of a long week and you caught it.  That's not acceptable.  I still maintain that i have to be concerned about my kids - not in a snowflake generation way (i'm 41 ffs) but because we're trying to bring them up to be respectful of all and it doesn't help when the president elect exhibits behaviors that are contrary to that.  I'm also a realist and try and instil that knowledge in them too. 

Secondly - i see that Trump is dialling back on his more crazy plans.  Fair enough.  I still worry about the more extreme elements of his support and retinue.  Gingrich on the news programs over the weekend talking about Washington and the swamp needing drained is genius hypocrisy given he was chief swamp dweller for a while.  Steve Bannon as chief strategist is worrying - he holds some quite strange views imo and given that Trump doesn't have a clue about stuff, he'll have an influence, in a negative way imo. 

Firstly - Elvoys, apologies for the lack of decorum in my reply to you way back.  End of a long week and you caught it.  That's not acceptable.  I still maintain that i have to be concerned about my kids - not in a snowflake generation way (i'm 41 ffs) but because we're trying to bring them up to be respectful of all and it doesn't help when the president elect exhibits behaviors that are contrary to that.  I'm also a realist and try and instil that knowledge in them too. 

Secondly - i see that Trump is dialling back on his more crazy plans.  Fair enough.  I still worry about the more extreme elements of his support and retinue.  Gingrich on the news programs over the weekend talking about Washington and the swamp needing drained is genius hypocrisy given he was chief swamp dweller for a while.  Steve Bannon as chief strategist is worrying - he holds some quite strange views imo and given that Trump doesn't have a clue about stuff, he'll have an influence, in a negative way imo. 

Serious question: do you think Trump or ordinary playground unpleasantness will have more of an effect on your children? I remember having a vague sense that there were nuclear weapons and I knew the USSR had them, and then I knew vaguely there was a recession in the early 1990s, but neither gave me nightmares. I probably spent more time practising my John Colquhoun shirt out look or trying to wet and shake my hair to look like Ruud Gullit than I did worrying about "current affairs."

The IRA's bombing of London in 1994 caused a school trip to be changed; I still didn't give it much thought, nor did anybody else.

Edited by Gorgiewave

I have a feeling that Trump is only there to ensure there's no credible opposition to Shillary

Just a feeling though :sailor:

Good idea, but wrong feeling :silviodamn:

alwaysthereinspirit

We'll probably never agree with each other on everything politically in this country but with kids probably.

Don't let what You see Trump saying or doing change the way you and your wife feel is what's right for your kids. They're your kids.

I always told my wife that we cant be there 24/7/365. All you can hope for is that you brought them up right and when they come to a fork in the road, left being wrong and right being right that they choose right. If they go left you want them to know to go right at the next fork and get to the correct path.

My youngest is at school in DC. Friday my wife called to ask me if I wanted to guess where my daughter was at that moment. Hopefully not a rally was my first words.

She was at Arlington National Cemetery at the tomb of the unknowns. She thought it was the right place to be on the 11th. That's all you need to worry about with kids. That they know whats right.

Do what you think is right. Just don't let the 7 year old swear every time he sees Trump on TV. Or else he'll be doing a lot of swearing.

maroonlegions

Typical , fecking democracy eh, its got a lot to answer for. 

This is all we need.

Donald Trump appoints Lord Voldemort as Chief of Staff;

Trump-voldemort-small.jpg

That's the kind of condescending attitude that isolates the working classes.

And it has been served up with gravy by the left.

Dismissing the fears and worries of working class people in the most derogatory terms.

Its ok though they're white.

Space Mackerel

And it has been served up with gravy by the left.

Dismissing the fears and worries of working class people in the most derogatory terms.

Its ok though they're white.

Their fears being stoked up by misinformation and downright lies though.

:spoton:

Their fears are made up lies and based on no evidence at all. The "loony left" simply tries to call those lies out for what they are.

:spoton:

Their fears are made up lies and based on no evidence at all. The "loony left" simply tries to call those lies out for what they are.

Explain please these lies that fear these plebs.

Space Mackerel

Explain please these lies that fear these plebs.

Jeeeeeez, I'll spell it out, the ultra right have hoodwinked the working class (and middle class) in to so much to say that immigration is the root cause. The fact is it's big business, banks and the capitalist financial model that's causing it, the very drinking best buddies pals of Farage and Trump.

Theresa Mays husband is a hedge fund manager FFS :rofl:

Not arguing that but calling them bigots for voting Trump or Brexit is hardly reaching out.

Anyone on the receiving end of that will always choose the **** You option on the ballot.

Jeeeeeez, I'll spell it out, the ultra right have hoodwinked the working class (and middle class) in to so much to say that immigration is the root cause. The fact is it's big business, banks and the capitalist financial model that's causing it, the very drinking best buddies pals of Farage and Trump.

Theresa Mays husband is a hedge fund manager FFS :rofl:

But the average working class person, low-paid or unemployed and very little hope, cannot see the connection between their situation and Big Business. Yeah, they know bankers are ***** but they do not care about how it (apparently) is a system designed to keep them in their place.

No, they see no-go areas in their towns, they are told to accept more immigrants and be told it will "enrich" their lives and if you put your hand up to say NO...racist.

The left have stopped reaching out to the very people it had to help from a generation of post-Thatcher policies. In fact, the left despise these people now.

It's no wonder they listen to Farage.

Space Mackerel

But the average working class person, low-paid or unemployed and very little hope, cannot see the connection between their situation and Big Business. Yeah, they know bankers are ***** but they do not care about how it (apparently) is a system designed to keep them in their place.

No, they see no-go areas in their towns, they are told to accept more immigrants and be told it will "enrich" their lives and if you put your hand up to say NO...racist.

The left have stopped reaching out to the very people it had to help from a generation of post-Thatcher policies. In fact, the left despise these people now.

It's no wonder they listen to Farage.

Im struggling to think of a "no go area" anywhere in Scotland. Yet another argument why us up here and down there diverge different year by year.

The left do have a choice, it's called Corbyn now, shame he's vilified by the MSM and the uneducated idiots on social media as this person who is an IRA sympathiser and a clown. The US had Saunders, someone who actually would have dine 10 times more than Trump.