US Elections 2016

JamboX2

bertracoon

That old saying that some things are " aye its been right on the end of our noses"..

People in her position lecturing on the moral and moralities of INEQUALITY..  :beatnik2:

Next up, Trump giving a lecture on the "whataboutrays" of a minimum wage and the Klu Klux Clan ancestry.. :qqb006:

Hillary Clinton Wore A $12,000 Armani Jacket During A Speech About Inequality

DISTRACTIFY.COM|BY 

Stop clogging up this thread with links and conspiracy theories. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

Riddley Walker

After reading the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread I can safely say that UA has smacked down the Chuckle Brothers better than anyone before has.

Their tactic seems to be non-discussion of the actual topic, while claiming moral and intellectual superiority, but not backing it up. Seeing them being pumped is most pleasing.

I'm glad I'm not American for this election, the options are depressing.

Craig Gordons Gloves

So Obama has given Hillary his support now that she is the presumptive democrat nominee. Hopefully that will help see off Trump.

Do I think Hillary is a great choice? No. But given its a choice between her and a guy that stirs up religious and racist hatred as part of his campaign and generally says whatever he wants as if it is the truth, I'll take her over him. Those of you not living in the US, it's a genuine worry for me that Trump could get in.

1929- Great Depression

1930s - rise of populist and nationalist politicians

1940s- war

2008- Great Recession

2016- rise of populist and nationalist politicians

Trump sets up a fake university and defrauds thousands of people in a massive scam, then bribes the Attorney General who handles the case to get her to drop it.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e16a8223c24048d290883370dc6abe5b/florida-ag-asked-trump-donation-nixing-fraud-case#

(But Clinton set up a separate email server just like her three predecessors, and that's clearly a bigger deal.)

The fact that those are the issues that are being discussed is truly disheartening.

niblick1874

The fact that those are the issues that are being discussed is truly disheartening.

Yep, and the deeper you look the worse it gets. Scary shit.

niblick1874

Stop clogging up this thread with links and conspiracy theories. 

Could you point out to us where the theories are that he has posted? Free speech ya bass.

I'm sure one of our friends will be along shortly to tell us how Mother Jones is a right wing rag or part of the MSM.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/03/hillary-clinton-fundamentally-honest-and-trustworthy

Hi UA, very early here.

With my wife away the dog and I decided to camp out in the back garden.

Unfortunately I have somehow managed to lose the house key.

3:15 AM stranded and desperate. The neighbours may have a key, but can?t wake them until at least 7.

I not a HC fan. You?

niblick1874

I'm just catching up with this thread.

Fantastic stuff UA. Fantastic.

Right. Black Lives Matter is a paid stunt.  And the "proof" is that Soros gave them some money.  People in Ferguson actually weren't at all angry that an unarmed teenager who was going to college was shot dead in the streets then left to rot in the middle of the street for four hours while the police joked and insulted his relatives. 

(And all these years I've been going to protests, I could have been getting paid for it as a "professional agitator.")

Here's the reason I treat you as ridiculous and asinine and deluded -- it's the kindest interpretation I have for you.  If you aren't actually a conspiracy-addled tinfoil hat dunce and you think Black Lives Matter is nothing but a paid stunt by a hedge fund manager and not the honest expression of rage and a cry for justice from one of the US's most historically oppressed populations, then you're a horrible, soulless, heartless, evil human being.  An absolute dunce is the nicest thing you can be -- I hope for your sake that all you are is a soft-headed soul overly impressed by weird conspiracy theories.  

Really? You are coming out with that not caring or knowing anything about it?

If you are going to try and slag off a poster on here I would suggest you back up someone that has not got his head in the sand (I am being kind here as apposed to AU's mindless ranting).

Umpteen people have come on this thread and stated, with good reason, that Clinton is a monster but that means nothing to you? Au is in a world of his own and you think you can run roughshod over everything just to stop free speech?  What I said is out there for all to see and it's all over the place, with proof. Go look for once.     http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2913625/Billionaire-George-Soros-spent-33MILLION-bankrolling-Ferguson-demonstrators-create-echo-chamber-drive-national-protests.html

Edited by niblick1874

Riddley Walker

Really? You are coming out with that not caring or knowing anything about it?

If you are going to try and slag off a poster on here I would suggest you back up someone that has not got his head in the sand (I am being kind here as apposed to AU's mindless ranting).

Umpteen people have come on this thread and stated, with good reason, that Clinton is a monster but that means nothing to you? Au is in a world of his own and you think you can run roughshod over everything just to stop free speech? What I said is out there for all to see and it's all over the place, with proof. Go look for once. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2913625/Billionaire-George-Soros-spent-33MILLION-bankrolling-Ferguson-demonstrators-create-echo-chamber-drive-national-protests.html

:lol: UA has absolutely torn you to shreds on this thread. It's there for everyone to see. You contribute absolutely nothing apart from snidey wee arsehole comments about how everyone else is less informed than you, when in fact, your arguments are based on absolutely nothing. You just talk shite with no basis.

UA has methodically created a new arsehole for you through informed and reasoned debate. It is clear he has engaged with lots of different sources from various angles. You, on the other hand post links to biased and illiterate youtube ramblings based on conjecture. And to top off it off, your newest piece of proof os from the Daily Mail, the right-wing mouthpiece for the dumb amongst us.

As to your disaster of a 2nd paragraph, I have no love for Clinton whatsoever. I don't think anyone who has posted on this thread really does. You're not in on some big secret niblick.

Riddley Walker

Also, please just start posting what you actually ****ing think, instead of making dumb wee remarks about your supposed intellectual superiority, and links to pish. It can't be that difficult to put your point across, given your access to information that the rest of us can't possibly fathom.

Watt-Zeefuik

Hi UA, very early here.

With my wife away the dog and I decided to camp out in the back garden.

Unfortunately I have somehow managed to lose the house key.

3:15 AM stranded and desperate. The neighbours may have a key, but can?t wake them until at least 7.

I not a HC fan. You?

Oh, dear, AJ!  Hope you get back in soon!

Clinton is not my ideal Presidential candidate, but then again I've rarely had my preferred candidate get elected.  (Presidential candidates I've liked a lot in my life: Walter Mondale, Paul Tsongas, Al Gore, Howard Dean, Bill Richardson, Barack Obama.)  I think she'll be a pretty good President, quite possibly better than her husband.  I think she's dealt with a huge number of attacks in her life from the right wing, to the point that otherwise reasonable people have actually started to believe some of the nonsense just because it's been repeated so loudly for so long.

I'm far more excited about the chances for getting some very good Senators elected and, if Trump is a complete disaster, giving back Nancy Pelosi control of the House.  That, and the state elections in North Carolina, where a complete simpleton by the name of Pat McCrory under the control of some reactionary plutocrats are ruining my home state as fast as they can, and this is the best chance to stop them we've had in a few years.

Edited by Ugly American

Oh, dear, AJ!  Hope you get back in soon!

Clinton is not my ideal Presidential candidate, but then again I've rarely had my preferred candidate get elected.  (Presidential candidates I've liked a lot in my life: Walter Mondale, Paul Tsongas, Al Gore, Howard Dean, Bill Richardson, Barack Obama.)  I think she'll be a pretty good President, quite possibly better than her husband.  I think she's dealt with a huge number of attacks in her life from the right wing, to the point that otherwise reasonable people have actually started to believe some of the nonsense just because it's been repeated so loudly for so long.

I'm far more excited about the chances for getting some very good Senators elected and, if Trump is a complete disaster, giving back Nancy Pelosi control of the House.  That, and the state elections in North Carolina, where a complete simpleton by the name of Pat McCrory under the control of some reactionary plutocrats are ruining my home state as fast as they can, and this is the best chance to stop them we've had in a few years.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your insight.

I am ignorant in most things especially the state of American politics.

What do you think the Bilderberg are going to do about a Trump candidacy?

Meeting as we speak in Dresden, Germany.

Watt-Zeefuik

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your insight.

I am ignorant in most things especially the state of American politics.

What do you think the Bilderberg are going to do about a Trump candidacy?

Meeting as we speak in Dresden, Germany.

I get on a plane for Glasgow tomorrow to do field research and I really need to be getting ready, but this is a lot more fun, so I keep getting side tracked.

I'm in the middle of reading this article about Clinton right now, and it seems fair.  I commented to someone earlier today that I think she shares some attributes with Jimmy Carter -- more of a policy wonk than a natural politician.  http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/05/hillary-clinton-candidacy.html

As most folks know the Clintons were in Arkansas before they were on the national stage.  My grandfather lived his life as small town banker and insurance salesman in southeastern Arkansas, and was  voracious newsreader and a bit of a savant when it came to predicting politics.  In 1991, when Bill first started his run for President and was considered a long shot, he told us, "Bill Clinton is going to be President.  People don't realize it, but he'll sneak up on them.  We call him Slick Willy -- he can get away with anything."  His comment on Hillary was this -- "A lot of people don't seem to like Hillary when they first see her, but she'll bring them around.  A lot of people in Arkansas didn't like her at first but folks I know have changed their minds."  That's been in my head ever since.

Regarding Trump, don't tell niblick but I don't know much about the Bilderberg group specifically, but I can tell you what I'm hearing from folks who live in Washington and hear some of the chatter among the elites there.  So while I don't know what the Euro side of things will do, the American corporate and financial elites I think are looking to treat Trump very carefully but they're cautiously optimistic that if he gets elected that they can turn him into another GWB.  That is, a populist mouthpiece who will leave the real work of governing to a select group of insiders (the next iteration of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Yoo).  Trump's ego is 10x the size of Bush's, so it'll be harder, but I'd be willing to bet that's the way the global finance folks are dealing with it.

I think they're more worried in the short term about Brexit, and in the case of the US elections, far more worried about Elizabeth Warren.

Really? You are coming out with that not caring or knowing anything about it?

Umpteen people have come on this thread and stated, with good reason, that Clinton is a monster but that means nothing to you? Au is in a world of his own and you think you can run roughshod over everything just to stop free speech? What I said is out there for all to see and it's all over the place, with proof. Go look for once. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2913625/Billionaire-George-Soros-spent-33MILLION-bankrolling-Ferguson-demonstrators-create-echo-chamber-drive-national-protests.html

Please stop.

I get on a plane for Glasgow tomorrow to do field research and I really need to be getting ready, but this is a lot more fun, so I keep getting side tracked.

I'm in the middle of reading this article about Clinton right now, and it seems fair.  I commented to someone earlier today that I think she shares some attributes with Jimmy Carter -- more of a policy wonk than a natural politician.  http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/05/hillary-clinton-candidacy.html

As most folks know the Clintons were in Arkansas before they were on the national stage.  My grandfather lived his life as small town banker and insurance salesman in southeastern Arkansas, and was  voracious newsreader and a bit of a savant when it came to predicting politics.  In 1991, when Bill first started his run for President and was considered a long shot, he told us, "Bill Clinton is going to be President.  People don't realize it, but he'll sneak up on them.  We call him Slick Willy -- he can get away with anything."  His comment on Hillary was this -- "A lot of people don't seem to like Hillary when they first see her, but she'll bring them around.  A lot of people in Arkansas didn't like her at first but folks I know have changed their minds."  That's been in my head ever since.

Regarding Trump, don't tell niblick but I don't know much about the Bilderberg group specifically, but I can tell you what I'm hearing from folks who live in Washington and hear some of the chatter among the elites there.  So while I don't know what the Euro side of things will do, the American corporate and financial elites I think are looking to treat Trump very carefully but they're cautiously optimistic that if he gets elected that they can turn him into another GWB.  That is, a populist mouthpiece who will leave the real work of governing to a select group of insiders (the next iteration of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Yoo).  Trump's ego is 10x the size of Bush's, so it'll be harder, but I'd be willing to bet that's the way the global finance folks are dealing with it.

I think they're more worried in the short term about Brexit, and in the case of the US elections, far more worried about Elizabeth Warren.

Great post UA, I love hearing what real americans actually think on the presidential election rather than what we get in the media over here. Personally, I think trump is a nutcase but he could win, thats the scary part of all this, 6 months ago I thought he had no chance but now? he could sneak it.

Over here the debate around brexit has been absolutely shocking, all of the politicians on both sides should hang their heads in shame, the lack of actual facts and instead the constant scaremongering, personal attacks and point scoring on all sides has left a sour taste in my mouth. Give us the facts and let us make an informed choice on staying or leaving the eu. I've already stopped watching all the debates as it's just bickering now. I've already sent in my postal vote.

What i've found most ironic during the brexit campaigning is the snp's stance that they want independence from the rest of the uk but want to keep scotland in the eu. I actually had a conversation yesterday at work about this with an independence supporter and she had no idea that that was the snp's policy, she wants out of the eu and independence from the uk and was now reconsidering her support for the snp. I advised her to look for some of Jim Sillars stuff, as he is someone the snp have sidelined due to his opposition to remaining in the eu. Anyway, this is off topic, my apologies.

Personally, I think trump is a nutcase but he could win, thats the scary part of all this, 6 months ago I thought he had no chance but now? he could sneak it.

You think that's scary? Here's something to really get you hiding behind the couch. We could realistically be looking at Trump and BoJo being in charge of nuclear weapons in 6 months time.

That's ****ing horrifying.

You think that's scary? Here's something to really get you hiding behind the couch. We could realistically be looking at Trump and BoJo being in charge of nuclear weapons in 6 months time.

That's ******* horrifying.

The thing about boris though is he is mostly a bungling buffoon and would spend most of his time trying to shag his female staff.

Trump uses the incident in Florida for his own ends and that really says it all

'When will this stop ?  when will we get tough smart and vigilant ?'

He just can't help himself.......the gunman is an American citizen and lives in Florida yet wants to infer this could have been avoided had his policies been in place.

He just can't help himself.......the gunman is an American citizen and lives in Florida yet wants to infer this could have been avoided had his policies been in place.

This is the same insane cretin who said that if the music fans in the Bataclan Theatre had had guns, the massacre wouldn't have happened.

Jambo-Jimbo

Sadly an awful lot of Americans lap up his every word.

The latest poll says that 70% of Americans dislike Trump, with 56% saying they 'strongly dislike' him.

Maybe the Trump phenomenon has run its course.  The powers behind-the-scenes in the Republican party might still try to do an end run on him at the convention if they feel that he has little chance of beating Clinton.

Watt-Zeefuik

The latest poll says that 70% of Americans dislike Trump, with 56% saying they 'strongly dislike' him.

Maybe the Trump phenomenon has run its course.  The powers behind-the-scenes in the Republican party might still try to do an end run on him at the convention if they feel that he has little chance of beating Clinton.

The good news is that Trump's popularity has been relatively static through the whole thing -- somewhere between 20 and 35%.  Republicans, Democrats, and independents each are (very) roughly 1/3 of the population, and Trump didn't win the majority of Republican votes except in very late states, when the outcome was certain. 

The end-run route is extremely dangerous for GOP insiders -- yes, they could doubtlessly come up with some way to make Mitch Daniels or someone the nominee, but if that were to happen, there would be an enormous backlash by people who enthusiastically supported Trump.  

I really don't have any idea how this is all going to play out.  An extreme possibility, but one which can't be ignored now, is that this results in the effective permanent collapse and end of the Republican party as a national force. 

The good news is that Trump's popularity has been relatively static through the whole thing -- somewhere between 20 and 35%. Republicans, Democrats, and independents each are (very) roughly 1/3 of the population, and Trump didn't win the majority of Republican votes except in very late states, when the outcome was certain.

The end-run route is extremely dangerous for GOP insiders -- yes, they could doubtlessly come up with some way to make Mitch Daniels or someone the nominee, but if that were to happen, there would be an enormous backlash by people who enthusiastically supported Trump.

I really don't have any idea how this is all going to play out. An extreme possibility, but one which can't be ignored now, is that this results in the effective permanent collapse and end of the Republican party as a national force.

With Johnson and Weld catapulting the Libertarians in to 2nd place. Polling at 10% now I believe.

:pleasing:

Edited by Normthebarman

The good news is that Trump's popularity has been relatively static through the whole thing -- somewhere between 20 and 35%.  Republicans, Democrats, and independents each are (very) roughly 1/3 of the population, and Trump didn't win the majority of Republican votes except in very late states, when the outcome was certain. 

I really don't have any idea how this is all going to play out.  An extreme possibility, but one which can't be ignored now, is that this results in the effective permanent collapse and end of the Republican party as a national force. 

The possible demise of the Republican party gives me a nice warm glow inside.

Jambo-Jimbo

What happens if Hilary gets indicted?   Surely that would damage if not ruin her credibility?  Could she still run or will she be barred from running?

What happens if Hilary gets indicted?   Surely that would damage if not ruin her credibility?  Could she still run or will she be barred from running?

If Clinton gets indicted then it's a real mess.

I'm not sure what the law says, but I would expect her to withdraw from the election.  Then the Democrats would simply appoint a new candidate.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, the nominee could be Joe Biden with Elizabeth Warren as his running mate.

• 2 weeks later...
Watt-Zeefuik

The possible demise of the Republican party gives me a nice warm glow inside.

The schadenfreude would be delicious, but I'm a bit worried about what would replace it.  The GOP has kept the crazies inside the tent for years, which has fueled their electoral success, but also kept them from being too nuts. 

The Democratic party is one of the most risk-averse organizations (often to my immense frustration) you'll ever come across.  I have no legal knowledge, but at this point, one can only assume that they're either very, very sure she's not getting indicted, or there's a backup plan in place.  I think the former is probably closest to the truth, but Biden-Warren would satisfy most of the party and probably still be able to beat Trump with ease.

Finally, at long last the FiveThirtyEight has released its general election forecast.  Again, this is Nate Silver's projections, which are based on a sophisticated statistical combination of national and statewide polls and examined in light of historical poll accuracy.  Right now, he has Clinton as an 80% chance to win.  Which makes sense, given that polls currently show Clinton as within the margin of error in South Carolina and close to it in Mississippi.  If Trump loses those two deep south states (which would almost certainly mean he also lost Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia), there is absolutely no chance he's winning the Presidency.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

Watt-Zeefuik

Trump takes the lead for first time in polls today. Seven point swing. Not sure what's being it.

Is that the Rasmussen Reports poll?  It's been consistently predicting more Republican results than any other poll for years now, and has been wrong in the general most of the time.

Here's two different poll aggregation sites.  538 has a slight lean to the left, RCP a slight lean to the right.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/national-polls/

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Here's one more from Princeton:

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/06/30/the-2016-presidential-meta-analysis/

Until another pollster shows anything close to it, I'd ignore the Rasmussen poll. (And if it's another poll, please share, because I haven't seen it.)

Trump takes the lead for first time in polls today. Seven point swing. Not sure what's being it.

:pleasing:

Is that the Rasmussen Reports poll? It's been consistently predicting more Republican results than any other poll for years now, and has been wrong in the general most of the time.

Here's two different poll aggregation sites. 538 has a slight lean to the left, RCP a slight lean to the right.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/national-polls/

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Here's one more from Princeton:

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/06/30/the-2016-presidential-meta-analysis/

Until another pollster shows anything close to it, I'd ignore the Rasmussen poll. (And if it's another poll, please share, because I haven't seen it.)

Johnson hitting double digits now. What do you think his chances are of hitting the magic number and getting on the debates?

Seymour M Hersh

Hobson's choice the American electorate.

Aye not a great choice for them John but as more or less a figurehead I always think it's the people that a President appoints for the key posts (State, Defence etc) that define a lot of their tenure. Appoint idiots and it'll end poorly but put in clever, forward thinking people then you might have a really positive Presidency. Also it helps to have the two houses on your side to get things done.

Rudolf's Mate

Looking like Trump might get a free run to the Whitehouse if the FBI bring charges against Hilary!

Watt-Zeefuik

Which of his policies do you agree with?.

If I didn't already know.

i8 loves Trump's sops to the religious right and the fact that he's declared himself a born-again Christian. ::troll:::'>

Johnson hitting double digits now. What do you think his chances are of hitting the magic number and getting on the debates?

Normally about now is peak third party, as people pick one of the two parties down the stretch and go with them, but this is a very different election than any in my lifetime.  I dunno, give Johnson maybe 1/3 or 1/4 in making at least one of the debates?

Watt-Zeefuik

Meanwhile, a woman at a Trump rally is either a racist idiot or a hard-core Jambo:

"Rally Attendee Asks Trump To Get Rid Of 'Hibby-Jobbies' At TSA"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-rally-hibby-jobbies

(Yes, she actually was trying to say "hijabs," but the headline is unintentionally hilarious.)

It's tempting to do what this thread is doing and consistently drive immediately to the bottom of the barrel.

But there are some hard facts that are backed up by valid data that show us that this election is likely to be pretty straightforward it it is indeed Clinton vs Trump.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/an-80-percent-shot-doesnt-mean-clinton-is-a-sure-thing/

niblick1874

Looking like Trump might get a free run to the Whitehouse if the FBI bring charges against Hilary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBs46zlZCzk#t=95.9237985

There is absolutely no jiggery pokery going on here so when nothing comes of it we should all except it.  :facepalm:

Move along now, there's nothing to see here.They were talking about policing, golf, and grandchildren.  :facepalm:

We are now threw the looking glass when this can happen with no legal consequences.

Mods, this thread is a total train wreck because of posts like the last two.

It would be great if there was a way to talk about the election without conspiracy theories and wild accusations taking up 50% of the posts and constantly deflecting from the points the rest of us are trying to make.

niblick1874

Mods, this thread is a total train wreck because of posts like the last two.

It would be great if there was a way to talk about the election without conspiracy theories and wild accusations taking up 50% of the posts and constantly deflecting from the points the rest of us are trying to make.

What in my post is theory or wild accusations? It is on topic and fact. If you don't want everyone knowing what is going on that is untoward, tough. 

As usual, when the likes of you don't like what I post you don't discus something that is relevant because you don't want it brought to the fore, instead you throw the usual mud.

It is you that has tried to deflect from the relevant facts that I have pointed out in my post.

Edited by niblick1874

Maple Leaf

No indictment.  Which is what pretty much everyone with no axe to grind was predicting, from what I could tell.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/06/us/politics/hillary-clinton-fbi-email-comey.html

No indictment, but "extremely careless".  She was a dodgy candidate before that FBI statement, and the statement will cost her votes, perhaps millions of votes.

Who in their right mind would vote to elect an extremely careless person to the most powerful position on the planet?

There will be a lot of soul-searching in the Democratic camp over the next few days.  What to do, what to do?

Watt-Zeefuik

No indictment, but "extremely careless".  She was a dodgy candidate before that FBI statement, and the statement will cost her votes, perhaps millions of votes.

Who in their right mind would vote to elect an extremely careless person to the most powerful position on the planet?

There will be a lot of soul-searching in the Democratic camp over the next few days.  What to do, what to do?

It's not remotely as bonkers as electing W twice.

This "scandal" is going to be largely forgotten by November.

indianajones

She is mental. Fully mental. 

I watched a 20 minute or so speech she gave at some America-Israeli conference thing in New York (i think). Some of the MENTAL pish she was spurting out was very worrying.

Photograph of her kicking around with one of the Rothschilds daughters too. She has already won the election.