Police Scotland

Maroon Sailor

Well tough, its coming, with or without your support.

Think about that.

Mintit.

Sigh, here we go again.

Based on what exactly? conjecture?

I hate the arrogance of the SNP.  I saw some total chump pass me in the street recently wearing a "Don't blame me I voted Yes" t-shirt.  F off would they eh.  I don't blame anyone - I am perfectly happy.  Do they even consider this?

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Malinga the Swinga

Would guess House is leaving before he is pushed, although he will still have pension. Shame the SNP couldn't find a spine and sack him, but spineless sums them and their support up. Just as well independence is never going to happen, despite what some posters think.

The Mighty Thor

Would guess House is leaving before he is pushed, although he will still have pension. Shame the SNP couldn't find a spine and sack him, but spineless sums them and their support up. Just as well independence is never going to happen, despite what some posters think.

On what grounds would they sack him? For not being popular? What in the name of **** has that got to do with anything?

He was brought in on a contract to deliver the unified force. He has. He was brought in to savage the budget. He has.

The fact he's complete **** is neither here nor there. 

SNP's fault?

There's a hell of a lot of people on here very quick and incredibly keen to politicise everything without any objective thought.

doctor jambo

On what grounds would they sack him? For not being popular? What in the name of **** has that got to do with anything?

He was brought in on a contract to deliver the unified force. He has. He was brought in to savage the budget. He has.

SNP's fault?

There's a hell of a lot of people on here very quick and incredibly keen to politicise everything without any objective thought.

This is apolitical in my opinion.

He has been atrocious.

Not saying that is the SNP's fault, but they have been VERY slow to pull him up over his blunders and "management" style

The Mighty Thor

This is apolitical in my opinion.

He has been atrocious.

Not saying that is the SNP's fault, but they have been VERY slow to pull him up over his blunders and "management" style

No arguments from me about how the unification has all gone but to suggest he could be sacked because he's unpopular and that failure to do so is the SNP's Government's fault?

What is he being measured on? What's his performance criteria? that's the grounds for emptying someone.

If being a dick was a criteria for getting the sack then a large number of posters on here are un-employable.

No arguments from me about how the unification has all gone but to suggest he could be sacked because he's unpopular and that failure to do so is the SNP's Government's fault?

What is he being measured on? What's his performance criteria? that's the grounds for emptying someone.

If being a dick was a criteria for getting the sack then a large number of posters on here are un-employable.

I work for myself.

:)

doctor jambo

when being a dick badly affects the overall running of a whole countries' police force?

When you lose troughs of data on one of your performance indicators?

When you ignore the rules on carrying weapons in public?

When you take credit for everything , yet criticism for nothing?

The Mighty Thor

Mate I think your missing the point here. I'm agreeing with you that he's a complete bell chief and that his tenure has been a disaster.

He should be measured on performance not popularity and neither of us know what his performance criteria are.

I'm commenting on the default position of 'SNP'S FAULT' trotted out on here.

It's nonsense.

Bert Le Clos

The M9 incident is till being investigated externally and internally. Take what you read from Ahmed Anwar in the Daily Record with a pinch. He's got a fairly big axe he's grinding.

I suspect what will come out will be not the initial 'individual failings' as trumpeted by Mr House but more a a tragic failure of procedure exacerbated by the cuts to very experienced and vital civilian staff which saw an under-trained officer manning the phones on overtime to help out their colleagues who are working mandatory 12 hour shifts because the system is failing.

Furthermore the 'clowns' phoned the girls phone to check the whereabouts of a family member as part of another unrelated investigation, not to check if she was OK.

Getting basic information like that wrong, as you just have, can be the difference between life and death in the 'clowns' world.

It's pretty easy isn't it?

:spoton:

SNP's fault?

On this though, I'd imagine he has to be held accountable for the utter shambolic procedure that was in place at Bilston which led to Lamara Bell's death.

IMO, that should be enough to see him sacked alone.

What gets me is that in the days since his resignation, the Commonwealth Games have been trumpeted as some sort of major achievement on his CV. The Commonwealth Games were a success, because nothing happened.

From a policing point of view it was an absolute shambles and I'm pretty sure if an independent body had sat down and analyzed that it wouldn't have been considered half the success it was.

Jonny John Boy

Based on anything more than conjecture? I'm so sick of hearing this bullshit. Give it up ffs - please!

Not conjecture mate. I think and so do a lot of others that it is the country's destiny. Whether we make a fist of it is another discussion but think about it-

Parliament

Police Force

Agriculture and fisheries

Housing

Tourism and economic development

Health and social services

Environment

The list goes on.

Malinga the Swinga

Not conjecture mate. I think and so do a lot of others that it is the country's destiny. Whether we make a fist of it is another discussion but think about it-

Parliament

Police Force

Agriculture and fisheries

Housing

Tourism and economic development

Health and social services

Environment

The list goes on.

you may think this and so may a lot of others, but luckily for the rest of us, more do not believe as the referendum showed and we will show it again whenever the SNP can show some courage and once more ask the question. You lost, you are a minority, get over it.

The Mighty Thor

:spoton:

On this though, I'd imagine he has to be held accountable for the utter shambolic procedure that was in place at Bilston which led to Lamara Bell's death.

IMO, that should be enough to see him sacked alone.

What gets me is that in the days since his resignation, the Commonwealth Games have been trumpeted as some sort of major achievement on his CV. The Commonwealth Games were a success, because nothing happened.

From a policing point of view it was an absolute shambles and I'm pretty sure if an independent body had sat down and analyzed that it wouldn't have been considered half the success it was.

Which is why he's bailing out now. He's culpable and knows it. This will be the layer of deniability between House and Police Scotland; previous regime, new processes, never happen again blah blah.

Speak to any current serving PC and they'll tell you a major feck up was coming as night follows day.

The Mighty Thor

you may think this and so may a lot of others, but luckily for the rest of us, more do not believe as the referendum showed and we will show it again whenever the SNP can show some courage and once more ask the question. You lost, you are a minority, get over it.

FFS.

Take it to the GE thread or the Scottish Election thread where you and the boys can circle jerk yourselves senseless about the SNP.

The Real Maroonblood

FFS.

Take it to the GE thread or the Scottish Election thread where you and the boys can circle jerk yourselves senseless about the SNP.

Fair comment.

Malinga the Swinga

Only answering the poster above who stated independence was on the way. I note you avoided criticising that one. Head of police Scotland was a political appointment by SNP as part of one of their flagship policies. Just because House has been a disaster, the supporters of SNP do not want to associate with House and now it is nothing to do with them. Typical avoidance of any responsibility by spineless SNP.

The Mighty Thor

Only answering the poster above who stated independence was on the way. I note you avoided criticising that one. Head of police Scotland was a political appointment by SNP as part of one of their flagship policies. Just because House has been a disaster, the supporters of SNP do not want to associate with House and now it is nothing to do with them. Typical avoidance of any responsibility by spineless SNP.

What a load of utter shite. You barrelled on earlier banging on about spineless SNP ministers and supporters because House, who is under contract, should be sacked.

Did supporters of the SNP ever associate with House or the head of any other public body. He was appointed to deliver the unified force, supported by the other parties, and he did. He was appointed to do the dirty work on the budget. He did.

In your world if it rains is it Nicola Sturgeons fault?

Give it a rest mate. Your making a bit of a breast of yourself.

Malinga the Swinga

What a load of utter shite. You barrelled on earlier banging on about spineless SNP ministers and supporters because House, who is under contract, should be sacked.

Did supporters of the SNP ever associate with House or the head of any other public body. He was appointed to deliver the unified force, supported by the other parties, and he did. He was appointed to do the dirty work on the budget. He did.

In your world if it rains is it Nicola Sturgeons fault?

Give it a rest mate. Your making a bit of a breast of yourself.

No need to worry. Your opinion is of as little consequence to me as mine is to you. Carry on white washing Sturgeons mistakes like House all you want.. Was he appointed to bring armed policing to Scotland? Apparently so. Was he appointed to leave people to die after accidents. Apparently so? Was he appointed to increase stop and search? Apparently so. If not, why wasn't he forced to resign as he is the man in charge. Presume you have some sort of connection to the police as you seem overly sympathetic to a force of so so standard led by a donkey.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Well you haven't always been called Bilel Moshni (bizarre choice of name) now were you? I know who you were you little minx

I8,

My username history is easily available, man. I've been on here since (I think) 2008?

I have changed names a few times. Mothy was my original pseudo, then a host of daft silly names.

I think you might have me confused with someone else though.

The Mighty Thor

No need to worry. Your opinion is of as little consequence to me as mine is to you. Carry on white washing Sturgeons mistakes like House all you want.. Was he appointed to bring armed policing to Scotland? Apparently so. Was he appointed to leave people to die after accidents. Apparently so? Was he appointed to increase stop and search? Apparently so. If not, why wasn't he forced to resign as he is the man in charge. Presume you have some sort of connection to the police as you seem overly sympathetic to a force of so so standard led by a donkey.

You're not thinking this through. Police Scotland was happening regardless, therefore they'd need someone to run it and implement it whether it was House or A.N.Other. This was with the consensus of all the parties, including the Tories.

There was armed police in Scotland before House came in. What House changed was that armed officers could no longer leave their weapons in the gun safe in their response cars.

People have died as a result of accidents before House came in. Remarkable but true.

Stop and search was and is a shambles, however it was there before House and it'll still be a tool of Police Scotland after he goes.

Why hasn't he been forced to resign? Again, on what grounds? You've still not answered this. What hasn't he done, in your opinion, that he was supposed to do?

Overly sympathetic? Not really, I just got the critical ability to differentiate between somebody being unpopular and not meeting their job criteria.

Let me take a wild guess, you'll be the kind of guy that refers to the Police as 'the pigs', 'the filth' etc etc. The kind of guy that thinks they're a shower of ***** until your house get's broken into or your car stolen.  

Quite bizarre for an avowed Tory, they're generally right wing and pro law and order.

Id have a bit more time for the snp supporters if they were not so dogmatic.

Btw i voted yes.

The SNP have got away with some whoppers and have failed imo big time on law and order

Tried and failed to tamper with laws that had the legal establishment up in arms.

Oversaw the police scotland fiasco.

And disgraced this nation by releasing scotlands worst convicted mass murderer.

The SNP is a political party and are hardly in a poasition to sack a Chief Constable.  Do you mean the Scottish Government should have sacked him?  I'd have to read the legislation (but won't cause it's dull), but I think the power to sack sits with the Scottish Police Authority.  Maybe even the Parliament.  Do you really want a government to have the power to hire and fire the police?

The SNP is a political party and are hardly in a poasition to sack a Chief Constable. Do you mean the Scottish Government should have sacked him? I'd have to read the legislation (but won't cause it's dull), but I think the power to sack sits with the Scottish Police Authority. Maybe even the Parliament. Do you really want a government to have the power to hire and fire the police?

The Scottish ministers (government) is the body which sets the regulations for appointment and resignation of the Chief of the Police. The government is therefore the body which signs off on appointments, so yes they do have the power to sack a Police Chief Constable.

The fact that we have a national force makes them and the parliament the people's voice to the force. The SPA is a quango, appointed by government and not elected by the people. It's an oversight body which is meant to do that job. But it's failed. Look at the catalogue of mistakes and errors made of late.

The force shouldn't be accountable to a quango. It's a national force and should be reviewed not by the spa but the relevant minister and by the Justice Committee in parliament. When they were local forces they were accountable to joint-local authority boards made up of councillors. Now they report to a civil servant and a team of minister appointed directors. I want direct oversight by my elected representatives as I voted for them to do the job of holding the state to account. Not to palm it off to a third party.

The issue with Police Scotland has been that House was setting police policy without effective scrutiny or oversight. As Kevin McKenna described it, he's was the "de facto Minister for Internal Security" but without parliament to account to. I'd like to see the force remain but like Gordon Wilson has said it should be decentralised and each authority area should have a local force accountable to them with a chief constable in each area. The Police force as a whole should also be reviewed and over seen by a Parliamentary committee not the SPA. After all Vic Emery was of the view it was fine to have armed police doing routine patrols and that stop and search of children suspected of no crime was ok and above board.

So yes. I want a government and importantly a parliament which does exert greater influence on the Police and that should be able to sack someone for their mistakes. Why is it in the UK we seem to think the police are whiter than white, not saying you do, but our politicians just seem to be idle in scrutinising the police forces across the UK. Have we learnt nothing of the scandals in London, of Hillsborough, of the miners strike and the instutuonalised racism which was widespread?

The Scottish ministers (government) is the body which sets the regulations for appointment and resignation of the Chief of the Police. The government is therefore the body which signs off on appointments, so yes they do have the power to sack a Police Chief Constable.

The fact that we have a national force makes them and the parliament the people's voice to the force. The SPA is a quango, appointed by government and not elected by the people. It's an oversight body which is meant to do that job. But it's failed. Look at the catalogue of mistakes and errors made of late.

The force shouldn't be accountable to a quango. It's a national force and should be reviewed not by the spa but the relevant minister and by the Justice Committee in parliament. When they were local forces they were accountable to joint-local authority boards made up of councillors. Now they report to a civil servant and a team of minister appointed directors. I want direct oversight by my elected representatives as I voted for them to do the job of holding the state to account. Not to palm it off to a third party.

The issue with Police Scotland has been that House was setting police policy without effective scrutiny or oversight. As Kevin McKenna described it, he's was the "de facto Minister for Internal Security" but without parliament to account to. I'd like to see the force remain but like Gordon Wilson has said it should be decentralised and each authority area should have a local force accountable to them with a chief constable in each area. The Police force as a whole should also be reviewed and over seen by a Parliamentary committee not the SPA. After all Vic Emery was of the view it was fine to have armed police doing routine patrols and that stop and search of children suspected of no crime was ok and above board.

So yes. I want a government and importantly a parliament which does exert greater influence on the Police and that should be able to sack someone for their mistakes. Why is it in the UK we seem to think the police are whiter than white, not saying you do, but our politicians just seem to be idle in scrutinising the police forces across the UK. Have we learnt nothing of the scandals in London, of Hillsborough, of the miners strike and the instutuonalised racism which was widespread?

When Police Scotland came into being, the Parliamnet set up a separate Police Committee, separate from the Justice Committee, in recognition that national force would require a level of scrutiny above which the Justice Committee would be able to provide.  But I broadly agree with your points - the SPA hasn't functioned in the way it should.  Do you rip that up and start again or do you try to address the issue where they lie?  And the vast majority of elected representatives, on yours and my behalf, voted for the single service.

There are good thngs about the national service, but good things don't make headlines. 

When Police Scotland came into being, the Parliamnet set up a separate Police Committee, separate from the Justice Committee, in recognition that national force would require a level of scrutiny above which the Justice Committee would be able to provide. But I broadly agree with your points - the SPA hasn't functioned in the way it should. Do you rip that up and start again or do you try to address the issue where they lie? And the vast majority of elected representatives, on yours and my behalf, voted for the single service.

There are good thngs about the national service, but good things don't make headlines.

I have no doubt there are good things, but when the Scottish Human Rights Council and Amnesty are releasing reports into human rights violations carried out by the force then I think big change is needed.

Whether they voted for or against the force being set up isn't the point, they should be able to hold it to account regardless.

Personally I'd overhaul the SPA but I'd make the job of reviewing the police leadership and their policy decisions one for parliament. The structure of the force needs looked at too.

The Mighty Thor
An inevitable outcome when you cut budgets and remove experienced civilian staff.

It's almost like there had to be a tragic incident to instigate the necessary change to get a proper workable system in place.

Too many cuts, too quickly.

I8,

My username history is easily available, man. I've been on here since (I think) 2008?

I have changed names a few times. Mothy was my original pseudo, then a host of daft silly names.

I think you might have me confused with someone else though.

Mothy is not who I thought to be fair. I'm not a subscribed member so don't see that info.

Mothy is not who I thought to be fair. I'm not a subscribed member so don't see that info.

Yes you do.

Seek and ye shall find.

Bert Le Clos

To be honest, you've gone from making relatively decent points to just rambling shite, as you've let your hatred of the SNP get in the way of any reasoned argument you put across.

Junky free, is all right with me.

they didn't find any trace of drugs despite a 2 night attack and said they will be back. what justifiable cause did they have for withdrawing officers from real crime fighting.

they have also flagged this club up as having a drug problem, knowing this your going to avoid this club, which must delight the innocent club owner no end.

hooray for police weegie

And?

Would you not object to being stopped every time you got in your car for a random breathalyser?

It is a gross infringement on civil liberties Aussieh.

I'm no drug taker, never have been either.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/anger-police-armed-drug-test-6390846

They're now stopping punters in queues for nightclubs with random drugs tests.

Refuse to give one and you're refused entry to the club.

Unbelievable. This institution is rotten to the core.

Seems rather authoritarian to me.  I seem to remember clubs and pubs in Aberdeen doing this previously, although I may be mistaken. (Edit: no I'm not http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7702856.stm)

So if anything it is perhaps a local initiative, rather than one we will see rolled out across the whole of Scotland.

poll tax.

if the tories had got away with it here then it woulda been rolled out everywhere. the armed police were only on the streets up inverness way

poll tax.

if the tories had got away with it here then it woulda been rolled out everywhere. the armed police were only on the streets up inverness way

Not really....as I said, previous in Aberdeen 7 years ago, so still waiting for the "roll out" Scotland-wide.  People are saying that Police Scotland needs to revert back to local policing methods for local issues.  I don't have a problem with that.  In this instance, Police Scotland have used a tactic previously used in that locale.  Isn't that local policing for local issues?

And the Poll Tax was rolled out everywhere.

Not really....as I said, previous in Aberdeen 7 years ago, so still waiting for the "roll out" Scotland-wide. People are saying that Police Scotland needs to revert back to local policing methods for local issues. I don't have a problem with that. In this instance, Police Scotland have used a tactic previously used in that locale. Isn't that local policing for local issues?

And the Poll Tax was rolled out everywhere.

Yet the new Force has launched a crack down on Edinburgh's saunas and tolerant policies designed to protect women in the sex trade and has started actively pushing the Strathclyde zero tolerance approach to outdoor drinking and in policing football nationwide... That's not respecting local concerns.

This is the problem when you centralise, you run roughshod over local concerns and ignore the differences needed in approach to different areas.

The force should be decentralised but organised as one force or be broken up again.

Other nations with one nation forces - Ireland, Finland and Norway - are nowhere near as centralised in command and control and retain localised contact centres.

Police Scotland appears to be run by one man and has a diminishing local footprint by closing desks and contact centres.

Yet the new Force has launched a crack down on Edinburgh's saunas and tolerant policies designed to protect women in the sex trade and has started actively pushing the Strathclyde zero tolerance approach to outdoor drinking and in policing football nationwide... That's not respecting local concerns.

This is the problem when you centralise, you run roughshod over local concerns and ignore the differences needed in approach to different areas.

The force should be decentralised but organised as one force or be broken up again.

Other nations with one nation forces - Ireland, Finland and Norway - are nowhere near as centralised in command and control and retain localised contact centres.

Police Scotland appears to be run by one man and has a diminishing local footprint by closing desks and contact centres.

I'm not saying that it isn't, and I don't disagree that over centralisation of the Police Force can be bad for the service and therefore the public.  I don't disagree that a local approach to issues is perhaps better than a broad brush approach.

I'm merely highlighting the fact that in Aberdeen, drug testing people wanting to get into bars and clubs is not a new practice, nor is there any evidence that it will "spread" to other areas, and this is indeed an example of "de-centralisation" or local policing for local needs.  That's all.

I'm not saying that it isn't, and I don't disagree that over centralisation of the Police Force can be bad for the service and therefore the public. I don't disagree that a local approach to issues is perhaps better than a broad brush approach.

I'm merely highlighting the fact that in Aberdeen, drug testing people wanting to get into bars and clubs is not a new practice, nor is there any evidence that it will "spread" to other areas, and this is indeed an example of "de-centralisation" or local policing for local needs. That's all.

Sorry Boris, misread your post!

I think it's fast becoming clear in a lot of things in Scotland that centralised, universalism isn't working. Everyone should have a right to access free health care but should the NHS be a massive one nation body or should the system be split up so preventative and public health issues are run at a local level to meet local need - ie drug culture or obesity compared to an aging population in other areas being the focus - with the large hospitals and national programs being run nationally.

Different areas have different needs and to think Scotland is one place with one set of universal problems is just backwards nowadays when it's clear the needs of Shetland or Caithness are massively different from Glasgow and Methil.

Sorry Boris, misread your post!

I think it's fast becoming clear in a lot of things in Scotland that centralised, universalism isn't working. Everyone should have a right to access free health care but should the NHS be a massive one nation body or should the system be split up so preventative and public health issues are run at a local level to meet local need - ie drug culture or obesity compared to an aging population in other areas being the focus - with the large hospitals and national programs being run nationally.

Different areas have different needs and to think Scotland is one place with one set of universal problems is just backwards nowadays when it's clear the needs of Shetland or Caithness are massively different from Glasgow and Methil.

Again, I don't disagree.  How resources are split would be interesting and, i suspect, there may be certain things that are indeed better centralised.  What we do need though is politicians to rise above and not use the issue as a political football, but to actually put forward sensible policies and initiatives that actually benefit the people.  I'll not hold my breath...

Here we go again

Looking for crime instead of solving it

Accosting the innocent and harassing them because they are an easy target

Stopping drugs getting into a club where close to 100% of the problems will be caused by alcohol sold legally INSIDE the venue

Again, I don't disagree. How resources are split would be interesting and, i suspect, there may be certain things that are indeed better centralised. What we do need though is politicians to rise above and not use the issue as a political football, but to actually put forward sensible policies and initiatives that actually benefit the people. I'll not hold my breath...

Agreed. FMQs this week was solely about the issues at Police Scotland. Every party leader raised an issue around it. Now, whilst the response of the FM was generally good and addressed the problem in part, it was treated as a defensive action. Instead of saying "we all know this needs to be fixed" she went with "Labour has hardly asked for more money to be spent on police..." when asked why the Government has seen fit to cut civilian staff which has put officers in the back office, or when the Tories asked about stop and search and the failings here the response was the Tories supported the single force in 2011 and should back it not bring it down and the Liberal request for a wider and fuller inquiry into the structure of the police was met with "we've had one" despite the recent review being on a different issue.

Whilst the responses to answers were equally as piss poor as the governments answers.

I don't know how they expect to work together when they can't have a discussion without trying to blame everyone else for failings that are ongoing. Opposition in Scotland needs to be more forceful at making government respond quickly but the government has to be open and ready to change.

Like you, I'd hold my breath, but I don't think I'd last long.

Would you not object to being stopped every time you got in your car for a random breathalyser?

It is a gross infringement on civil liberties Aussieh.

I'm no drug taker, never have been either.

Nope.

Van drivers are constantly stopped.

Civil liberties for druggies, what next.

Here we go again

Looking for crime instead of solving it

Accosting the innocent and harassing them because they are an easy target

Stopping drugs getting into a club where close to 100% of the problems will be caused by alcohol sold legally INSIDE the venue

That might well be, but the last time I looked alcohol was legal.

Shut the fecking place, crack den.

Generic Username

I don't imagine many junkies are capable of leaving the house, let alone going out to the dancing.

I don't imagine many junkies are capable of leaving the house, let alone going out to the dancing.

Its all junk, fae, bubbles, to crack.

Archived