Police Scotland

Maroon Sailor

And i bet match day stewards take more abuse.

No sick pay for them.

Utter pish.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Real Maroonblood

Once upon a time I saw 2 constables walking the beat.

It was a warm sunny day in the summer.

What a lovely memory.

Comparing parking warden stress to that of a Police Officer.

:rofl:

They're all fat and unfit too.

:lol:

He's not anti police though.

Comparing parking warden stress to that of a Police Officer.

:rofl:

They're all fat and unfit too.

:lol:

He's not anti police though.

Im not.

The evidence is there in black and white.

Sick days lost through stress.

To many cant handle most can.

I bet theres a lot of serving officers that agree.

Maroon Sailor

As for traffic/parking wardens they are on the receiving end of abuse daily.

How do you know that ?

Once upon a time I saw 2 constables walking the beat.

It was a warm sunny day in the summer.

What a lovely memory.

I guess you are too young for it to have been me, but that was the best days of a 35 year career.  Just as I left they were starting a new public relations campaign and anticipating moving into Panda cars.  One of the suggestions (orders) were that we go to houses in the neighbourhood and introduce ourselves as the friendly neighbourhood Bobby.  You can imagine after years of house rows, rolling on the ground fights at the White Hoose, we were welcome guests.

Bob I noticed you mentioned you were in the Scots Gaurds. My granddad was too, he was born in 1934.

He wouldn't have a clue how to use the Internet and Kickback.

Top man!

Bob I noticed you mentioned you were in the Scots Gaurds. My granddad was too, he was born in 1934.

He wouldn't have a clue how to use the Internet and Kickback.

Top man!

we probably were in around the same time, myB.D.1935. I was 1st Bn Egypt, and London.  q1952-1955.

I got my first computer in 2000 I think, never had a lesson was frightened when I done an E mail to press the send in case i broke the machine. Just kept at it.  My wife thinks I am a genius making mov ies from our pictures etc. I tell her no not a genius just incredibly intelligent, she responded that I guess everyone has to be good at something.

I guess you are too young for it to have been me, but that was the best days of a 35 year career.  Just as I left they were starting a new public relations campaign and anticipating moving into Panda cars.  One of the suggestions (orders) were that we go to houses in the neighbourhood and introduce ourselves as the friendly neighbourhood Bobby.  You can imagine after years of house rows, rolling on the ground fights at the White Hoose, we were welcome guests.

When you were a policeman, was there a fitness test to enter or every so often? Were you expected to be fit and strong or could you get away with being unfit?

I guess you are too young for it to have been me, but that was the best days of a 35 year career. Just as I left they were starting a new public relations campaign and anticipating moving into Panda cars. One of the suggestions (orders) were that we go to houses in the neighbourhood and introduce ourselves as the friendly neighbourhood Bobby. You can imagine after years of house rows, rolling on the ground fights at the White Hoose, we were welcome guests.

Ive made some statements on this thread.

I am not anti police .

Do you agree with any of the sentiment of my posts particularly the standard of officers now.

Obviously theres an edge to the job but sick leave is through the roof and of for stress is the main cause.

The only officer ive spoken to thinks theres to many not cut out for the job.

Understand if you dont want to reply for whatever reason but i would say again i am not anti police.

Ive made some statements on this thread.

I am not anti police .

Do you agree with any of the sentiment of my posts particularly the standard of officers now.

Obviously theres an edge to the job but sick leave is through the roof and of for stress is the main cause.

The only officer ive spoken to thinks theres to many not cut out for the job.

Understand if you dont want to reply for whatever reason but i would say again i am not anti police.

I left Edinburgh close to 50 years ago, it would be improper of me to comment on standards of officers.

I know in my own time I felt bad after some incidents, caused bad moods, sometimes not feeling too good etc.  Stress was not a known entity then, and real men didn't cry.

Again I would have to defer my opinion to others better placed.

No problem replying but if I do I feel I should stick to what I know.

When you were a policeman, was there a fitness test to enter or every so often? Were you expected to be fit and strong or could you get away with being unfit?

I was never exposed to that type of test in my twelve years in Edinburgh.  Most of us came out of military service, from about 1945,  there were also height requirements, and no rules  against discrimination, if you were fat, out of shape, or didn't fit the stereotypical recruit you weren't getting past the request for an application form.  In those days we beat men especially those of us in the suburban beats walked a lot, working guys worked hard physically, although beer bellies were around generally we were all reasonably fit. Workouts in gyms etc. were not to my knowledge generally a common practise.

Bert Le Clos

I was never exposed to that type of test in my twelve years in Edinburgh.  Most of us came out of military service, from about 1945,  there were also height requirements, and no rules  against discrimination, if you were fat, out of shape, or didn't fit the stereotypical recruit you weren't getting past the request for an application form.  In those days we beat men especially those of us in the suburban beats walked a lot, working guys worked hard physically, although beer bellies were around generally we were all reasonably fit. Workouts in gyms etc. were not to my knowledge generally a common practise.

Walking the beat undoubtedly kept the Police fit however because policing numbers are so low just now walking the beat isn't an option.

Police spend their entire days going from job to job in a car, grabbing food on the move when they can (which therefore tends not to be the healthiest), coming home from work absolutely burst hardly in the mood to then do some fitness.

I'm not saying it's correct, there's a personal responsibility to make an effort to be fit in a job like the Police however I don't think Jake has any sort of understanding about the working conditions for Police just now. It's a perfect example of what happens when there aren't enough Police to get out and about and engage with the public.

I always think it's strange that firefighters for example are held in such high esteem and yet Police get it tight. Police don't have the option to strike over pay; when firefighters do it's the Police who pick up the slack. When paramedics went on strike Police officers went round throwing injured and dying people in the back of transits and getting them to the hospital as quickly as they could.

I don't want anyone to think for a second I'm devaluing the job firefighters and paramedics do. They provide an unbelievable service and I respect them hugely for what they do. But just like they have the option of striking which Police don't, they also have the option to refuse to go to calls and 9 times out of 10 the Police are then told to go. And can't refuse.

Firefighters keep in shape no doubt, but they get time at work to do so. They have time set aside to use the gym. They also I believe, although I may be wrong, have people designated to cook their meals. And on nightshifts it's lights out at 10pm, with each firestation in an area taking a turn to respond to calls first. If no calls come in, they sleep. Only under extraordinary circumstances do the majority of firefighters not get to sleep on a nightshift.

From what people like Jake are saying, you'd think Police have it easy. Most have no idea.

Bert Le Clos

I should also have mentioned that the army also did an incredible job of helping when firefighters went on strike.

Didn't mean to overlook them.

Maroon Sailor

I should also have mentioned that the army also did an incredible job of helping when firefighters went on strike.

Didn't mean to overlook them.

As did the Navy and RAF !

Bert Le Clos

As did the Navy and RAF !

My apologies, you're right.

Everyone did their bit when the water fairies were striking and getting folk to honk their horn for them :whistling:

they also have the option to refuse to go to calls and 9 times out of 10 the Police are then told to go.

Firefighters keep in shape no doubt, but they get time at work to do so. They have time set aside to use the gym. They also I believe, although I may be wrong, have people designated to cook their meals. And on nightshifts it's lights out at 10pm, with each firestation in an area taking a turn to respond to calls first. If no calls come in, they sleep. Only under extraordinary circumstances do the majority of firefighters not get to sleep on a nightshift.

Sorry you've been misinformed. This isn't true.

Bert Le Clos

Sorry you've been misinformed. This isn't true.

Which part? The part about refusing to go to calls or the part about the nightshifts?

The part about nightshifts came from the mouth of a fireman I know.

His name is

House is making a monumental mess of it, but alot of the issues are down to the budget cuts implemented by the government.

There are alot more cuts still to come so things won't get much better anytime soon.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Do The Dance

Where does the fireman you know work Bert? Sounds like an easy life. Refusing to go to calls and sleeping all night whilst other stations go instead? Think I'll apply!

Walking the beat undoubtedly kept the Police fit however because policing numbers are so low just now walking the beat isn't an option.

Police spend their entire days going from job to job in a car, grabbing food on the move when they can (which therefore tends not to be the healthiest), coming home from work absolutely burst hardly in the mood to then do some fitness.

I'm not saying it's correct, there's a personal responsibility to make an effort to be fit in a job like the Police however I don't think Jake has any sort of understanding about the working conditions for Police just now. It's a perfect example of what happens when there aren't enough Police to get out and about and engage with the public.

I always think it's strange that firefighters for example are held in such high esteem and yet Police get it tight. Police don't have the option to strike over pay; when firefighters do it's the Police who pick up the slack. When paramedics went on strike Police officers went round throwing injured and dying people in the back of transits and getting them to the hospital as quickly as they could.

I don't want anyone to think for a second I'm devaluing the job firefighters and paramedics do. They provide an unbelievable service and I respect them hugely for what they do. But just like they have the option of striking which Police don't, they also have the option to refuse to go to calls and 9 times out of 10 the Police are then told to go. And can't refuse.

From what people like Jake are saying, you'd think Police have it easy. Most have no idea.

I didnt say they did.

Im saying no in fact im not saying im pointing to the fact that sickness levels due to stress are incredible.

And police numbers are not so low all though the levels of sick days may have an impact.

Im saying its to easy to get signed of on full pay.

If you are not up to it get another job.

Let someone else pick up the wage who is up to it.

Trouble is there will be genuine cases of stress.

But being overworked is im afraid modern life for many.

Most dont have the comfort of full pay for 6 months

I didnt say they did.

Im saying no in fact im not saying im pointing to the fact that sickness levels due to stress are incredible.

And police numbers are not so low all though the levels of sick days may have an impact.

You don't think there is an underlying serious problem in the organisation causing such high levels of absence and stress ? You think it predominantly lazy fat blokes taking advantage ? Honestly mate get enlightened. Open your mind. Do some research. Learn the facts. For example, find out how much the sickness rate has risen by under Stephen House. Ask questions of people who know what they are talking about and have some facts to back it up. Because frankly mate, you haven't got an earthly about stress or policing and your making yourself look silly

You don't think there is an underlying serious problem in the organisation causing such high levels of absence and stress ? You think it predominantly lazy fat blokes taking advantage ? Honestly mate get enlightened. Open your mind. Do some research. Learn the facts. For example, find out how much the sickness rate has risen by under Stephen House. Ask questions of people who know what they are talking about and have some facts to back it up. Because frankly mate, you haven't got an earthly about stress or policing and your making yourself look silly

Ok i shall look into it .

As for stress id just like to say many people experience it for many reasons.

They dont have the luxury of full pay and a fat pension.

You give the impression you think 'stress' is a by word for being a lazy tool and having 6 months off.

Full pay for that six months does encourage abuse, I have already agreed with that. No doubt there are some who abuse it.  But there are lots, many more, genuine basket cases who are so stressed they cant get up in the morning and cant face any aspect of life properly until they get better. Their marriages break up, they become alcoholics and/or gamblers. They lose their homes, their dignity and their self respect. They often cant ever work again and they become suicidal in extreme cases .It really is that bad and there are plenty examples of it.

There was a 'depression' thread on here for a while which is excellent reading for anyone who thinks stress/depression is an excuse for fat lazy coppers to get on the golf course for 6 months at our expense. There are some very brave and honest posts on that thread and you should go and read it before posting again on the subject.

By the way, the pension ? They contribute 11% of their salary to their own pension every month so its their money for the most part. Invested in pensions funds and topped up if the pension fund doesn't produce to cover what is contractual. Hardly their fault if it doesn't produce. Its not a freebie that's given away. Its a right to have their own money back which cannot be argued with on any level.

Maroon Sailor

You are almost saying how dare a police officer have stress !

You give the impression you think 'stress' is a by word for being a lazy tool and having 6 months off.

Full pay for that six months does encourage abuse, I have already agreed with that. No doubt there are some who abuse it. But there are lots, many more, genuine basket cases who are so stressed they cant get up in the morning and cant face any aspect of life properly until they get better. Their marriages break up, they become alcoholics and/or gamblers. They lose their homes, their dignity and their self respect. They often cant ever work again and they become suicidal in extreme cases .It really is that bad and there are plenty examples of it.

There was a 'depression' thread on here for a while which is excellent reading for anyone who thinks stress/depression is an excuse for fat lazy coppers to get on the golf course for 6 months at our expense. There are some very brave and honest posts on that thread and you should go and read it before posting again on the subject.

By the way, the pension ? They contribute 11% of their salary to their own pension every month so its their money for the most part. Invested in pensions funds and topped up if the pension fund doesn't produce to cover what is contractual. Hardly their fault if it doesn't produce. Its not a freebie that's given away. Its a right to have their own money back which cannot be argued with on any level.

Eh no way does contributions paid from salary reflect final pensions .

Not even remotely close.

As for the rest of your post i am well aware of mental health and tge effects it has had on my family.

Im not the one who suffered incidently.

I grudge no one who are rightfully entitled.

Nevertheless there is imo a culture amongst all civil service eemployees high sick rates.

Stress being the most common.

Thats a fact.

My argument is that to be a policeman you should have a certain mental toughnes.

I do accept that its a difficult job.

But they should not be above criticism nor held up on some pedastol.

You are almost saying how dare a police officer have stress !

No im not almost saying that.

But to lay the blame solely on one man for record numbers of days of due to stress seems fanciful.

Jake you have no clue. Absolutely no idea what it's like being a Police Officer.

Hence the continual ridiculous statements.

No im not almost saying that.

But to lay the blame solely on one man for record numbers of days of due to stress seems fanciful.

You are. You are saying they should be immune from stress. Where do we find that sort of person ? Is it you ?

There are record numbers of officers and civilian employees off with stress related illness. The record has gone up sharply since the forces were amalgamated under the so called leadership of Stephen House. That isn't a coincidence and it isn't a blip. Its an epidemic.

You honestly need to go and find out stuff. You are not speaking from knowledge or experience. Your supposing based on prejudice and social stereotypes you've accepted as being correct without really questioning them.

Its another version of ACAB your putting forward here mate. Really. Stop. Think. Educate yourself. Then come back and we can speak intelligently about it. I know your not thick, you are misguided and ill informed though.

Your right it is epidemic.

Its doubled since 2010 in england and wales.Is Stepen house to blame.

Suprisingly the lowest absenteeism through stress is the met.

Main reasons given are poor leadership low morale .

Now if you suffer stress through traumatic happenings fair play.

But are we really saying if your pissed of at work its stress .

If your pissed of with work change jobs

9,000 officers in 2014 england .

Up from 4,500 in 2010.

I think ive a right to say some may be at it.

There has been studies on stress and personality traits.

It found that conscientious officers were far less likely to suffer stress.

The study also looked at work family stresses and how one might affect the other.

So not anti police just stating the obvious.

Governor Tarkin

Your right it is epidemic.

Its doubled since 2010 in england and wales.Is Stepen house to blame.

Suprisingly the lowest absenteeism through stress is the met.

Main reasons given are poor leadership low morale .

Now if you suffer stress through traumatic happenings fair play.

But are we really saying if your pissed of at work its stress .

If your pissed of with work change jobs

9,000 officers in 2014 england .

Up from 4,500 in 2010.

I think ive a right to say some may be at it.

Jake, you have no idea how stress works, do you?

Bert Le Clos

Where does the fireman you know work Bert? Sounds like an easy life. Refusing to go to calls and sleeping all night whilst other stations go instead? Think I'll apply!

Edinburgh. I'm not saying for a second they have an easy life.

It's not the firefighters who refuse to go to calls. It's their call handlers who decide if it's an incident which requires firefighters to attend. The issue is, if firefighters or paramedics, or social work, or a mental health professional, or a GP is told not to go, or decides it's not a job for them, invariably the person needing assistance defaults to the Police, tells them whichever service they phoned first won't attend, and then the Police are expected to go. Because if they refused and something happened, they'd take another absolute kicking in the media.

And from what I was told by a firefighter, it's lights out on a nightshift at 10pm, with one station in the area designated to go to calls if required. If a second unit needs to attend, obviously they get woken up!

Eh no way does contributions paid from salary reflect final pensions .

Not even remotely close.

As for the rest of your post i am well aware of mental health and tge effects it has had on my family.

Im not the one who suffered incidently.

I grudge no one who are rightfully entitled.

Nevertheless there is imo a culture amongst all civil service eemployees high sick rates.

Stress being the most common.

Thats a fact.

My argument is that to be a policeman you should have a certain mental toughnes.

I do accept that its a difficult job.

But they should not be above criticism nor held up on some pedastol.

Bit of a sweeping statement about the civil service, and a weird sort of out of the blue introduction of that particular part of the public sector.  Unless, of course, you think that police are civil servants?  They aren't.

You also seem to have a one-size-fits-all view of what it is to be a police officer.  Policing is multi-disciplinary, and each discipline will have its own degree of stress.  From being abused regularly by their 'customers', to dealing with serious criminals and the very worst sex offenders, to attending at road traffic incidents involving fatalities - 'mental toughness' might just not cover it. 

I agree completely that they should not - and they are not - above criticism.  I think they merit respect, but they must, like every part of the public sector, be accountable.  That is the job of the Scottish Police Authority in the first instance, and ultimately the Parliament.

Bit of a sweeping statement about the civil service, and a weird sort of out of the blue introduction of that particular part of the public sector. Unless, of course, you think that police are civil servants? They aren't.

You also seem to have a one-size-fits-all view of what it is to be a police officer. Policing is multi-disciplinary, and each discipline will have its own degree of stress. From being abused regularly by their 'customers', to dealing with serious criminals and the very worst sex offenders, to attending at road traffic incidents involving fatalities - 'mental toughness' might just not cover it.

I agree completely that they should not - and they are not - above criticism. I think they merit respect, but they must, like every part of the public sector, be accountable. That is the job of the Scottish Police Authority in the first instance, and ultimately the Parliament.

By civil service i meant those in public service.

Sweeping it may be but also correct .

siegementality

By civil service i meant those in public service.

Sweeping it may be but also correct .

Jake, give it up FFS you are making a fool of yourself.

Bert Le Clos

I didnt say they did.

And I was pointing out to you some of the reasons for Police sickness and stress levels. Reasons you clearly don't understand.

What do you know about Police numbers, out of interest? Or about how easy it is to get signed off? Or about anything to do with working in the Police at all for that matter?

You seem to be shouting your mouth off an awful lot on this thread and backing up your statements with nothing more than you apparent general dislike for the Police.

There has been studies on stress and personality traits.

It found that conscientious officers were far less likely to suffer stress.

The study also looked at work family stresses and how one might affect the other.

So not anti police just stating the obvious.

Sorry, this is absolute nonsense.

Police Scotland said the numbers were falling and services had not been adversely affected by absences.

Labour's legal affairs spokeswoman Elaine Murray said it was time the SNP government "got a grip on policing".

Police Scotland working days lost due to stress

Quarterly reporting dates Working days lost

30 June 2013 10,618

30 September 2013 7,649

31 December 2013 7,166

31 March 2014 5,439

30 June 2014 5,695

30 September 2014 4,861

31 December 2014 1,984

31 March 2015 10,016

The Freedom of Information figures were released as the fallout continued over the failings that led to Lamara Bell and John Yuill remaining in a crashed car for three days.

Deputy Chief Constable Rose Fitzpatrick said the total number of days lost through stress-related absence had fallen year on year by more than 17,000 since the single police force was set up two years ago.

She added: "Police Scotland has almost 23,000 people who work for the service and in common with any other large organisation recognises that stress can be a factor in absence rates amongst personnel.

"We work hard to ensure that having come through the most significant public sector reform of recent generations, absence and the causes of it are closely monitored and managed to ensure attendance at work is maintained and the level of service to communities is not adversely affected."

A Scottish government spokeswoman said the Scottish Police Authority and Police Scotland "take the welfare and wellbeing of their officers and staff seriously" and provide a range of support services to help officers and staff "in what can be a stressful job".

The above taken from a BBC article.

Also an article here http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13197264.Police_stress_leave_on_the_rise/

Police Scotland said the numbers were falling and services had not been adversely affected by absences.

Labour's legal affairs spokeswoman Elaine Murray said it was time the SNP government "got a grip on policing".

Police Scotland working days lost due to stress

Quarterly reporting dates Working days lost

30 June 2013 10,618

30 September 2013 7,649

31 December 2013 7,166

31 March 2014 5,439

30 June 2014 5,695

30 September 2014 4,861

31 December 2014 1,984

31 March 2015 10,016

The Freedom of Information figures were released as the fallout continued over the failings that led to Lamara Bell and John Yuill remaining in a crashed car for three days.

Deputy Chief Constable Rose Fitzpatrick said the total number of days lost through stress-related absence had fallen year on year by more than 17,000 since the single police force was set up two years ago.

She added: "Police Scotland has almost 23,000 people who work for the service and in common with any other large organisation recognises that stress can be a factor in absence rates amongst personnel.

"We work hard to ensure that having come through the most significant public sector reform of recent generations, absence and the causes of it are closely monitored and managed to ensure attendance at work is maintained and the level of service to communities is not adversely affected."

A Scottish government spokeswoman said the Scottish Police Authority and Police Scotland "take the welfare and wellbeing of their officers and staff seriously" and provide a range of support services to help officers and staff "in what can be a stressful job".

The above taken from a BBC article.

Also an article here http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13197264.Police_stress_leave_on_the_rise/

Whilst I suspect the figures have been 'massaged' downwards somewhat and the December 2014 figure looks out of step with everything else this is still an average of over 5000 days lost to stress per quarter. That, as I said before, is an epidemic of mental illness overseen by and under the leadership of Stephen House. He must be called to account for it.

Whilst I suspect the figures have been 'massaged' downwards somewhat and the December 2014 figure looks out of step with everything else this is still an average of over 5000 days lost to stress per quarter. That, as I said before, is an epidemic of mental illness overseen by and under the leadership of Stephen House. He must be called to account for it.

There's a building case against House and I suspect he will be on his bike sooner rather than later.

I had to deal with an incident at our Church about a month ago which involved calling 999, no police attended in fact I received a phone call about 1 hour later asking if I still wanted the police to attend. I really felt like saying nah don't bother I've call the ambulance out instead. (I didn't). However the kind lady offered me an appointment the next day as they now run a diary service where I could meet and talk to the police and they would deal with it. I made the appointment and sure enough they turned the next day only to rush off 1 minute later to a call and hurriedly left ask me to email them the details of the incident.

They eventually did deal with it but what a way to run a service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seymour M Hersh

I bet you they don't

In a sense he may be correct. If he's only referring to abuse at the football. The way it's set up now the (pretty much untrained) Stewards are in the front line inside the stadium.  So I suppose they'll get it more than the Police and you only have to look at the shite that happens when sellik are in town to see that.  However once it's outside the Stewards are off home.

Archived