Juwon Oshaniwa - signs 3 year deal, scarf above head, etc etc

WSTR

Not sure what update would be useful as they'll not know the reasons for the hold up as you can't speak to embassy officials. They'd have to go via an M.P. Maybe Ian Murray?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This certainly is an odd one. Can't figure it out at all. However, I suspect that it may be down to technical problems or inefficiency rather than a major problem with the application. If he were going to be refused a visa, I think we'd have heard by now. The odd thing is that it's usually the work permit that is the stumbling block (see Gogita Gogua) and that part is already sorted.

I also don't see Celtic (or anyone else) stealing the player, because part of the visa application will involve having a prospective employer as a sponsor. If the sponsor were to change they would probably need to start again.

Not sure what update would be useful as they'll not know the reasons for the hold up as you can't speak to embassy officials. They'd have to go via an M.P. Maybe Ian Murray?

Could His Lordship not have a quiet word with the Foreign Office? (or Home Office - not sure which)

This certainly is an odd one. Can't figure it out at all. However, I suspect that it may be down to technical problems or inefficiency rather than a major problem with the application. If he were going to be refused a visa, I think we'd have heard by now. The odd thing is that it's usually the work permit that is the stumbling block (see Gogita Gogua) and that part is already sorted.

I also don't see Celtic (or anyone else) stealing the player, because part of the visa application will involve having a prospective employer as a sponsor. If the sponsor were to change they would probably need to start again.

The length of time doesn't indicate how likely or unlikely the application will be successful. They just take an age to process. Can easily get a refusal at the end of all this if incorrect / insufficient documents have been submitted. They require originals, not photocopies etc. It should be easier given he's got a sponsor (Hearts) who guarantee him employment for 3 years. His application will just be one of many sitting in a pile on someone's desk. As much as we'd like to think we can push it to the top of the pile, he's really not that important to the immigration authorities.

Jam Tarts 1874

The length of time doesn't indicate how likely or unlikely the application will be successful. They just take an age to process. Can easily get a refusal at the end of all this if incorrect / insufficient documents have been submitted. They require originals, not photocopies etc. It should be easier given he's got a sponsor (Hearts) who guarantee him employment for 3 years. His application will just be one of many sitting in a pile on someone's desk. As much as we'd like to think we can push it to the top of the pile, he's really not that important to the immigration authorities.

Exactly - nothing anyone can do to speed these up.  They do not give updates of any kind or enter into any conversation about an application in process, they accept or refuse the application then send an e-mail to you with the decision.  If there is something wrong with the application, they just send everything back to you and ask you to resubmit without telling you what was wrong and ask you to pay another fee.

Could His Lordship not have a quiet word with the Foreign Office? (or Home Office - not sure which)

He probably has but these things are a bit like court cases they take forever and nobody ever seems to be able to speed them up and nobody ever seems to know why this is the case.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Exactly - nothing anyone can do to speed these up.  They do not give updates of any kind or enter into any conversation about an application in process, they accept or refuse the application then send an e-mail to you with the decision.  If there is something wrong with the application, they just send everything back to you and ask you to resubmit without telling you what was wrong and ask you to pay another fee.

No expert, but I'd guess the system is about stopping people entering the UK rather than making it easy for someone, anyone, just because they have a job; that is, the UK government would rather stop 100 Juwon's getting a visa than risk one 'undesirable' slipping through. It is quite feasible that Juwon is being treated as a special case and yet it still might take an age to process.  

My understanding is that UK entry Visa's for residents from Nigeria can take a lot longer to process than from other areas. Corruption/fraud is a major problem and extra care is used to check and verify applications.

We_are_the_Hearts

My understanding is that UK entry Visa's for residents from Nigeria can take a lot longer to process than from other areas. Corruption/fraud is a major problem and extra care is used to check and verify applications.

He is a football player that has played at the World Cup for his country! Surely a bit common sense could be applied. Geez there are probably folk coming here as supposed "labourers" got in quicker!

The population of nigeria is over 180 million people so you can imagine how busy they are with applicants and trying to sort out the vast amount of paperwork required when applying for a visa. Then there is the problem of sorting out genuine documents from the fraudulent documents.

Exactly - nothing anyone can do to speed these up. They do not give updates of any kind or enter into any conversation about an application in process, they accept or refuse the application then send an e-mail to you with the decision. If there is something wrong with the application, they just send everything back to you and ask you to resubmit without telling you what was wrong and ask you to pay another fee.

Embassies are particularly unhelpful. I went to Australia to work years ago, and I went to the Australian High Commission in London to get my visa processed. The problem was that I couldn't find out when it was open. (This was 1998, in the days before everything was on the Internet). I tried to phone them up, and got an automated service giving me five options. Four of these led to recorded messages, and the other I didn't dare use (I am an Australian citizen in urgent need of help). In the end I had to get on a train and try my luck. Of course, when I arrived there at about 2pm, I discovered that the visa department opened only between 9-11am.

EDIT - I've just checked, purely out of curiosity, and nowadays it's 9-11am on Tuesdays and Thursdays only, and only by appointment. On the other hand, at least I can find this out without having to go there physically!

If he was signing for an english premier league side does anyone genuinely believe it would have taken this long. I doubt it

Exactly. That's my experience. They are a cold faceless organisation, who adhere to no timetable, and answer to nobody. They take a perverse pleasure it seems in messing up people's plans. I know someone who got a visa refused the day before going on holiday, which made it too late to cancel hotels and so on for refunds. The reason for the refusal was a technicality.

David McCaig

As long as there's no sith then we should be fine!

Do they come from Sithuania?

He is a football player that has played at the World Cup for his country! Surely a bit common sense could be applied. Geez there are probably folk coming here as supposed "labourers" got in quicker!

I know we all place a great importance on football but for the UK Government he's not a priority. Labourers to help build schools or hospitals might be. Not saying that's the case, but trying to put things in perspective when people seem to think they will 'push things through' because we as a club want him in quick. 

If he was signing for an english premier league side does anyone genuinely believe it would have taken this long. I doubt it

I hate to say it, but you're probably right. You could probably even prove it - plenty of Nigerians have played in the EPL. Doesn't move us on much though.

Malcolm Tucker

He's Juwon that I want,

He is Juwon I want,

Ooh Ooh OoooSHANIWA.

And he's not praying

What like West Brom and their ?10m signing from the same country?

Oh wait.....

Phil D. Corners

He's a Nigerian national who has spent time living and working in Israel, he's probably hitting every foreign office red flag going. As would Brown Ideye who IIRC WBA signed from the Ukraine.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Plenty of Nigerians at my work. He'll be here eventually

Different Class

ffs... 

Your right about requiring a bit of common sense....

The visa's required for visiting and living in the UK have very different requirements. I am guessing they are doing background checks, making sure of no serious criminal past record etc

He probably has but these things are a bit like court cases they take forever and nobody ever seems to be able to speed them up and nobody ever seems to know why this is the case.

He hasn't yet but has offered to make enquiries if we can provide details. I know sod all but said I'd find out as much as I could. Anyone know where the application has been made and any useful details ?

ffs... 

Surely, if it as much of a done deal as HMFC say, then they could fax over a contract with a clause that states null and void if work permit / visa not granted. Get a wee pic with the contract, announce this "signing" on the website, then rip it up and have him sign a new one. Would perhaps reduce the pant wetting?

Surely, if it as much of a done deal as HMFC say, then they could fax over a contract with a clause that states null and void if work permit / visa not granted. Get a wee pic with the contract, announce this "signing" on the website, then rip it up and have him sign a new one. Would perhaps reduce the pant wetting?

Yes, I'm sure that the Hearts legal team's time is best spent appeasing c**** on here!

Yes, I'm sure that the Hearts legal team's time is best spent appeasing ^^^^* on here!

That wouldnt be the only thing it would stop though, it would also take away the risk of him signing for someone else.

His visa was approved on Tuesday the 7th of July and it apparently takes up to 15 days to process. So unless he received the paperwork yesterday it's only late by a day so far.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Embassies are particularly unhelpful. I went to Australia to work years ago, and I went to the Australian High Commission in London to get my visa processed. The problem was that I couldn't find out when it was open. (This was 1998, in the days before everything was on the Internet). I tried to phone them up, and got an automated service giving me five options. Four of these led to recorded messages, and the other I didn't dare use (I am an Australian citizen in urgent need of help). In the end I had to get on a train and try my luck. Of course, when I arrived there at about 2pm, I discovered that the visa department opened only between 9-11am.

EDIT - I've just checked, purely out of curiosity, and nowadays it's 9-11am on Tuesdays and Thursdays only, and only by appointment. On the other hand, at least I can find this out without having to go there physically!

Your post brought to mind my own daughter's case from a few years ago. A qualified midwife, she got a job working in a maternity unit in Sydney. The Australian government at the time were screaming out for midwives as they were running a program to encourage 'Australians' to have more kids. It took a full year for her to get her visa. It'll surprise some to learn that government bureaucracies value medical staff above professional footballers, but they don't even cut corners for them, even when coming from countries not noted for flooding their country with illegal immigrants.

I can't say that Man Utd or Chelsea etc might not get fast track treatment in similar circumstances, but they will have the wherewithal (whether that be money, contacts, influence, lobbyists, supporters in the cabinet) to go through the appropriate channels! In short, there is nothing unusual in the time it's taking for Juwon Oshaniwa's visa to come through.

His visa was approved on Tuesday the 7th of July and it apparently takes up to 15 days to process. So unless he received the paperwork yesterday it's only late by a day so far.

Could be 15 working days which means it's not even late yet.

Could be 15 working days which means it's not even late yet.

Your correct it's working days

So should be middle of next week at the latest?

Just in time for the Arbroath game. :tiny:

Aye cos that's a professional way of doing business.

In the eyes of the british embassy there is no difference to somebody that works in a toilet and a footballer. That's why it's taking so long, as all applicants in their eyes are the same.

So there is no points system for say a Nigerian Doctor to enter the country easier and quicker than say a Nigerian Toilet worker?(Not a racist question but its the lowest

grade legal job I could think of)

So there is no points system for say a Nigerian Doctor to enter the country easier and quicker than say a Nigerian Toilet worker?(Not a racist question but its the lowest

grade legal job I could think of)

It's not about a points system, or the better the job the quicker it's processed. A doctor would still have to apply the same way and wait the same length of time as any other applicant. Many years ago my husband who is nigerian applied for a spouse visa in the January, he was told the visa interview would be the June! Luckily due to a cancellation his interview was brought forward and he was home by April. That was a long time ago and immigration restrictions are even tighter these days. Unfortunately regardless of who you are or how good a job you have you cannot hurry them up. It's very frustrating. The process takes longer in nigeria due to fraudulent applicants.

It's not about a points system, or the better the job the quicker it's processed. A doctor would still have to apply the same way and wait the same length of time as any other applicant. Many years ago my husband who is nigerian applied for a spouse visa in the January, he was told the visa interview would be the June! Luckily due to a cancellation his interview was brought forward and he was home by April. That was a long time ago and immigration restrictions are even tighter these days. Unfortunately regardless of who you are or how good a job you have you cannot hurry them up. It's very frustrating. The process takes longer in nigeria due to fraudulent applicants.

Exactly. I know where some are coming from. They expect a smooth, reliable service from a UK Government Organisation. Reality is when you want to apply for a visa, you have to get an appointment to submit the documents. The documents have to be originals in most cases to prevent doctored paperwork. The appointments, you'd think, would be readily available, but that isn't the case. They can be months away. It depends on the luck of the draw. Tough luck if that messes up your plans. You'd then have to reply on someone cancelling and you being able to take their appointment. There's nobody to reason with, or some sort of priority service (in most cases). The documents are then submitted, and you can't check progress. You have to wait patiently for them to come back with a decision. They give an indication of say '15 working days' but they don't get penalised if they are late. Again that's just tough luck for you. The process is the same for all applicants. There are no priorities, unless a premium service is available, which in this case doesn't appear to be an option. A member of parliament could try and expedite a case, but reality is they have only so much sway, and I wouldn't think a football player signing for their favourite club would take precedence over a genuine hard luck case. 

I suspect you're right

Better wages, rd doesn't rate izzaguire , previous interest n still no hereeeee

The deal is done....

He says he's coming...

The club says he's coming...

He's been granted a work permit presumably to be an employee of HMFC....

All we need is an entry Visa... which obviously takes a bit of time. Just need a little patience, he'll be here soon enough, im not worried.

Archived